• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo |OT| It's Turbo Time!

napalmjam

?

2497439-8462614088-Z0037.jpg

I bloody loved this game ! Split screen on the same keyboard

wouwie

I've been playing the game quite often since release and i'm having fun. I'm not good at it (i don't think i'll ever attempt getting all golds to unlock series 5) but at least it feels as if i'm getting better at it (i'm currently in the middle of series 3).

It does however seem to me that the biggest difficulty of Trackmania is driving cars that are overly twitchy and have no real weight to them. And judging by the track design, the developers are very aware of that. One tiny error usually results in race over (when you're trying for medals at least) since there is very little room for adjustment and recovery. In that sense, the difficulty feels a bit "cheap" sometimes. That does not mean that there is no skill involved though, on the contrary. Who knows, maybe it plays better with a keyboard?

Also, a lot of surfaces have the car behaving as if they are on ice, especially with cars that are already very weightless (lagoon en valley).

But yeah, i'm glad i bought the game and i'm enjoying it.

jambo

My fucking god I hate Valley so much.

Same.

Even the early Valley stuff was causing headaches at times. Just having to nail some jumps perfectly and the twitchy steering making it almost impossible.

Then I'd get to Lagoon, Stadium and Canyon and it would be good again.

I really wish you unlocked each environment in order, instead of having to do all 4 to progress.

*Splinter

Same.

Even the early Valley stuff was causing headaches at times. Just having to nail some jumps perfectly and the twitchy steering making it almost impossible.

Then I'd get to Lagoon, Stadium and Canyon and it would be good again.

I really wish you unlocked each environment in order, instead of having to do all 4 to progress.
This would make way more sense, although I quite like Valley

KORNdoggy

i've really enjoyed this so far. weirdly i enjoy the lap based tracks the least since they're often less interesting/extreme and failure results in more time spent replaying them. the 30 seconds point to point racers are excellent though. and the fact you can restart them instantly really promotes that "one more go" or "i'll try one more time to beat my score" mentality. mainly though, it's just the complete antithesis of some of the other games i've been playing lately. it's nice to just kick back and dip into something for the sake of having fun. no narrative, or depth. just pick up and play fun.

krae_man

Track 62 with the magnets pissed me off.

Took me a while to figure out what was going on, then a while longer to counter it. grrrrr.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Finished off Wolfenstein: The New Order (great game, which I highly recommend btw) so will have more time to play this.

Going through the white series, have completed canyon, valley and lagoon so far. Valley is pretty twitchy and I can see why people must become frustrated with it on harder levels.

Had a pretty narrow escape from completely ruining a gold time on #24. Video provided in link below.

https://youtu.be/KVPmNiziqv0

5taquitos

phew. Black series lagoon was really tough. There's still couple trackmaster times that I'm going to try to get but the rest are beyond my reach.
Jesus.

I can guarantee that my board will never look like that.

On a related note, I wish the track numbers showed other medal colors besides Trackmaster.

krae_man

I'm getting stuttering every once and a while on some tracks. The screen freezes then jumps back to where it should be.

I'm just finishing Roller Coaster Lagoon Green series and man some of these stages were really bugging me. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing wrong most of the time. I keep hitting walls and losing control and I don't know why.

I'm not feeling "Dammit, I need to learn how to take this turn better", I'm feeling "God damn cheating ass game!". I wasn't feeling that in the earlier stages.

GlamFM

Banned
Dirt Valley and Lagoon are horrible.

The fact that you have to beat them on silver or even gold in order to get more good Stadium and Canyon tracks is bad game design.

I bought this game for 40 tracks it seems.

Not gonna put up with the randomness of Dirt and Lagoon anymore.

Fuck this.

5taquitos

Dirt Valley and Lagoon are horrible.

The fact that you have to beat them on silver or even gold in order to get more good Stadium and Valley tracks is bad game design.

I bought this game for 40 tracks it seems.

Not gonna put up with the randomness of Dirt and Lagoon anymore.

Fuck this.

Can't you use Joker medals to unlock the other tracks?

Edit: Honest question, I just started the Green series.

Managed to get all silvers on White, Green & Blue, but Red Series is really kicking my ass - definitely feels like I've hit a brick wall. Gonna go back and gold everything, then hopefully I'll be good enough to ace Red Series when I catch up :p

Incidentally, are there any plans for a user made track browser/downloader for this? It's cool being able to play people's custom tracks online, but some I'd like to keep.

Raitaro

Call me crazy or even blasphemous but while I've enjoyed my time with this game so far, I still wish it had at least a bonus mode in which I could race for fun (on wider, 3-lap tracks or just the normal campaign ones) against other cars with collision turned on.

I mean, some of the secret multiplayer bonus modes, like the one in which you try to push the other player out of the screen, even have collision between players turned on already, so why couldn't there be a mode where I do the same against one car or a few cars in single player? Is this missing because there is not really any driving AI in the game?

Sometimes racing against time is simply a bit too stressful for me, especially because you can't really make mistakes or take risks. And yes, I do know that this series at its core revolves around time trials and that most fans don't care about anything else, but just as with Street Fighter V and its lack of single player modes: more options are always better than fewer options even if some fans don't care about them. With the developers clearly being interested to give as many options for multiplayer as they could come up with, including a few absurd ones, why not do the same for those that prefer offline, single player content beyond the standard modes in other words?

Oh and on the topic of things I'd want to see added: it would be nice to have an additional third-person camera mode that is a bit higher and further away from the car. The current setting is so low to the ground that I often can't see things like bushes or small dips coming on some areas of the track where you race on the dirt, which often results in my car jumping off the ground or making an unsuspected turn and me feeling like it's more luck than skill whether I can keep my car on the track in those sections. Isn't there a "Camera 1" option available in the PC originals that Turbo is missing? Would that suit my needs perhaps? People on other forums seem to be asking for it to return.

wouwie

I feel as if track 108 and 109 (lagoon beach + wood) might be where i stop playing the campaign, unfortunately. I can't even reach silver one those two tracks (came close only once) and contrary to most other tracks, i'm not having any fun trying. These surfaces just aren't any fun due to how the car handles.

Also, it's a shame that the entire serie (meaning all 4 zones) isn't unlocked once you reach it. That would allow for more variety and freedom on how you tackle each zone. For example, at this point, i'm fed up with 108 and 109 so i could have had the option to at least have some fun and play 111-120 (stadium tracks) in the meantime.

krae_man

It took me like a week to beat 61-70. Then I beat 71-80 in a couple hours.

Those lagoon tracks are terrible.

I'm not doing myself any favors refusing to continue until I get gold.

I hit a wall (derp) with this game in trying to unlock the first of the blue series tracks. I'd use the jokers but that option is greyed out. I guess I have to fail them a couple times before they'll let me use them, but I don't have the patience. And of course Dirt Rally came out and that's taken over my time and interest. Its a shame because this game started so promising. I'm sure I'll get back to it someday, its just too bad the difficulty curve is so suddenly steep.

Freeman76

I hit a wall (derp) with this game in trying to unlock the first of the blue series tracks. I'd use the jokers but that option is greyed out. I guess I have to fail them a couple times before they'll let me use them, but I don't have the patience. And of course Dirt Rally came out and that's taken over my time and interest. Its a shame because this game started so promising. I'm sure I'll get back to it someday, its just too bad the difficulty curve is so suddenly steep.

Dirt rally isnt much easier lol

Link_enfant

Is it me or is there currently no real press-forward tracks on PS4? Like, many tracks are tagged press-forward for no reason, like people don't know what that means.

conman

Hit track 101. Golds all the way, but I'm so burnt. I loved the experience, but I can see that going forward it's going to be less and less fun and more and more work. I mean, I'm confident enough in my skills that I feel like I can get golds all the way to the end, but I just don't know if I want to. Putting it on a shelf for now.

Freeman76

Why do you want it digital? It's the same, no, but you can't resell?

I chose digital simply for ease of use, it's one of those games where a quick 20 minute blast is often the case, and I like to have it on the HDD so I don't need to swap discs. I often do this on cheaper games, I mean I wouldn't pay £55 for DS3 digital as that to me is insane waste of hard earner wedge, but a game like this is perfect for digital, and it is highly unlikely I would ever sell it due to the high replay value. Perhaps this guy is similar?

I chose digital simply for ease of use, it's one of those games where a quick 20 minute blast is often the case, and I like to have it on the HDD so I don't need to swap discs. I often do this on cheaper games, I mean I wouldn't pay £55 for DS3 digital as that to me is insane waste of hard earner wedge, but a game like this is perfect for digital, and it is highly unlikely I would ever sell it due to the high replay value. Perhaps this guy is similar?

I guess so, I mean I don't keep physical games because I can resell, I keep them because I know I can play them in 10 or 20 years whereas with digital that's not necessarily going to be true.

With that said, I understand the appeal of accessibility and being able to simply hit x on the game for a 20 minute session, but I think my mindset on this is different as I tend to buy physical where I can, just for collections sake.

With that said, I have a digital copy of Trackmania for two reasons. A) GAME sold out of physical copies and B) It meant that I can share it with my fiance onto her PS4 and she can play too.

Raitaro

I feel as if track 108 and 109 (lagoon beach + wood) might be where i stop playing the campaign, unfortunately. I can't even reach silver one those two tracks (came close only once) and contrary to most other tracks, i'm not having any fun trying. These surfaces just aren't any fun due to how the car handles.

Also, it's a shame that the entire serie (meaning all 4 zones) isn't unlocked once you reach it. That would allow for more variety and freedom on how you tackle each zone. For example, at this point, i'm fed up with 108 and 109 so i could have had the option to at least have some fun and play 111-120 (stadium tracks) in the meantime.

I agree with your second point: I also would have appreciated it if the track unlocking would have been a bit more open ended instead of forcing the player to complete each zone before getting to the next one. Why can't I just play all Stadium tracks after each other without completing Lagoon and the others, for example?

I mean the zones don't have any overlap and pretty much count as separate games almost so why force us to go through each one in sequence instead of letting each player play more of the zone he/she prefers? This and the lack of a third camera option (that shows the car from a bit further away and slightly higher angle to avoid hitting unseen bushes or dips) and the lack of any Vs AI single player modes with collision (despite collision being in the game in its multtiplayer modes) are what I miss the most (as I have mentioned a few posts above).

As for your complaint about car handling on Lagoon: I assume you're talking about the problem that the car is very fidgety on sand and such? If so, what helped for me (on earlier tracks at least, as I haven't gotten this far yet) is to not use the d-pad like some people suggested (because it is closest to keyboard controls used in the original games) but the analogue stick instead. The analogue stick gives you a bit more leeway / margin when steering, I've found, making it harder to have the car go out of control and easier to prevent getting stuck in endless slight left to right corrections to keep straight. Then again, maybe you are already using the stick...in which case I don't know what would help...

Chris R

I really wish restarting on the PS4 was quicker. Should be almost instantaneous but it isn't. The helicopter drop doesn't help either.

kAmui-

You can on Xbone

Thanks. I'll just assume it works on pc too. The game's not that big of a download anyway so won't be a big loss if it doesn't work. Having a friend who owns the game come over tomorrow and I'm really interested in trying that mode.

25% off on US PSN this week. How's the PS4 multiplayer community these days?

I know the main draw of this game is trying to beat your own time, but I enjoyed racing around with everyone's ghost in the beta.

Freeman76

Have the console versions evolved much since release?

Ive really wanted a TM ever since watching this giantbomb video of Jeff Gerstmann playing TM2 for an hour and a half

Is it still the streamlined experience it was at release? I kind of want some customized mod jank in there.

and I suppose player hosted soundtracks are still a non-starter?

Still will probably pick it up though.

It hasnt evolved at all, in fact i dont even recall any patches, although i could be wrong there

I bought this and am enjoying it.

But the lack of any explanation in local multi-player left me and a friend completely bemused. None of the modes we tried worked how we expected local multi-player to be.

SigSig

Finally picked this up for PS4 (due to my RSI I haven't been buying a lot of games lately) and what can I say?
It is (as expected) the the best racing game I ever played on a console. Extremely fun!
Shaving off milliseconds off your time, getting closer and closer to a friends' record, then finally taking it...
I'll probably start building tracks this weekend.

Just bought this on PS4 (it's on sale on euro PSN)

Seems cool so far, though thought it was kinda lame until I changed to first person view.

Can I play the whole game like that or does it get all platformy?

*Splinter

Just bought this on PS4 (it's on sale on euro PSN)

Seems cool so far, though thought it was kinda lame until I changed to first person view.

Can I play the whole game like that or does it get all platformy?
It gets a bit platformy at times, but not so much that 1st person will be a real disadvantage.

In fact some sections force first person view, so you'll be at an advantage there.

It gets a bit platformy at times, but not so much that 1st person will be a real disadvantage.

In fact some sections force first person view, so you'll be at an advantage there.

Thanks.

Just ripped through the first set of levels for each world there, just went for silvers. Seems really cool, I even like the trashy music.

Ha, I won't know I'm doing the forced first person sections.

got it a few weeks ago, awesome game, just a little disappointed that Mexico shows the maximum rank being 7,000+, that's a very low amount of people playing I guess

Thankfully that made it easy to be in the Top 100 :D!

Moozo

Do they allow user tracks on MP servers yet? That was the main thing that kept me coming back to Nations Forever. I mean, I know there's 200 tracks or whatever but it does get a bit repetitive.

Top Bottom