• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo |OT| It's Turbo Time!

cyba89

Have minimum silver in white, green and blue series now. Struggled with a few tracks but overall it's still managable for me. Let's see how red series goes.
Getting all gold will be a big time investment but I'm currently still motivated enough to go for it.

Freeman76

Using analog is the way forward, whoever it was that said digital is the way it was designed was talking from their behind.

Best controller for a game like this or rocket league: DS4, 360 or ONE?

Is there driver issues with the DS4? I know 360/ONE are Microsoft, so likely it will just "work".

Any darkhorse controllers like Stratus XL that surpass these standards?

Amadeusz

Neo Member
I can rate the game based on every module. Very mixed feeling overall, and I love Trackmania since TM Sunrise.
- Canyon Grand Drift
- International Stadium

Both are just the essence of Trackmania - fast, require precision, amazing jumps, amazing drifts, great fun overall. 9/10.

- Rollercoaster Lagoon
The Rollercoaster part is a lot of fun (especially upside-down gimmick), but the sandy-drift is so wild, most of the times I end up on a nearby tree not because I suck at Trackmania, but because it's not possible to keep the control of my car. Also, who the hell came up with the "polished wood" surface. Slippery surfaces are nothing new in Trackmania, but it's never been used with such ridiculously fast cars. So many times all I can do is pray that the drift will work out. 6.5/10

- Valley Down & Dirty
Again, the gameplay here is so extremely wild, I can barely keep my car on the track. The asphalt parts are so much fun, but when there's gravel involved I just fly around all over the place. A lot of frustration was had. 5/10

Maybe it's because I'm used to the keyboard, previous Trackmanias worked flawlessly with digital inputs. In Turbo I just can't keep on track in some cases, and what frustrates me is that I rarely feel that I screwed up, most of the time the car is just barely controllable.

I can rate the game based on every module. Very mixed feeling overall, and I love Trackmania since TM Sunrise.
- Canyon Grand Drift
- International Stadium

Both are just the essence of Trackmania - fast, require precision, amazing jumps, amazing drifts, great fun overall. 9/10.

- Rollercoaster Lagoon
The Rollercoaster part is a lot of fun (especially upside-down gimmick), but the sandy-drift is so wild, most of the times I end up on a nearby tree not because I suck at Trackmania, but because it's not possible to keep the control of my car. Also, who the hell came up with the "polished wood" surface. Slippery surfaces are nothing new in Trackmania, but it's never been used with such ridiculously fast cars. So many times all I can do is pray that the drift will work out. 6.5/10

- Valley Down & Dirty
Again, the gameplay here is so extremely wild, I can barely keep my car on the track. The asphalt parts are so much fun, but when there's gravel involved I just fly around all over the place. A lot of frustration was had. 5/10

Maybe it's because I'm used to the keyboard, previous Trackmanias worked flawlessly with digital inputs. In Turbo I just can't keep on track in some cases, and what frustrates me is that I rarely feel that I screwed up, most of the time the car is just barely controllable.

All off-road surfaces in TM:Turbo should be nuked from orbit! The asphalt/tarmac surfaces play so fucking well and the gravel,dirt,grass just completely ruins the handling and flow. There's so much randomness to it as well. You can be perfectly fine and clip a small rock or bump out of nowhere and have it trash your TrackMaster run on the 3rd lap of a Multi. It's garbage and that's probably why every room online is Grand Canyon Drif or International Stadium.

*Splinter

Off road stuff grew on me over time. I only really hate the slippery board surface on later Lagoon levels. The roller coaster tracks are also pretty shit, even though they're not as difficult to navigate.

sinxtanx

- Canyon Grand Drift
- International Stadium

- Rollercoaster Lagoon

- Valley Down & Dirty

I came here to say all of this exactly like that and found that I don't have to.

FUCK Lagoon/Valley offroad sections. That shit just hampers track design possibilities.

I know the name of the game is Turbo but I so much want Coast back

NickMitch

Dirt races is helluva annoying, especially multi laps...That buggy also handles like crap on tarmac aswell imo.

Otherwise i find the game really great - so nice to have a real arcade game with instant restart.

xrnzaaas

I only played Trackmania Turbo for like an hour, but I love it. The last TM I played was probably Stadium and that was many years ago, but the new title feels like home. :)

The only thing that's bothering me is that I can't look up my friends times immediately after finishing a run. I have to go back to the main menu and choose the same event again to get to the screen with the medals goals etc. Or am I missing something?

Tizoc

I like how i finished 9 of the green f1-vehicle stages in 1/3 of the time it took to finish the 10 prior ones :v
Also did leaderboards update properly now?

All off-road surfaces in TM:Turbo should be nuked from orbit! The asphalt/tarmac surfaces play so fucking well and the gravel,dirt,grass just completely ruins the handling and flow. There's so much randomness to it as well. You can be perfectly fine and clip a small rock or bump out of nowhere and have it trash your TrackMaster run on the 3rd lap of a Multi. It's garbage and that's probably why every room online is Grand Canyon Drif or International Stadium.

I disagree. I actually love the Buggie off road sections, I feel they're the most fun aspect of the game.

I also disagree that they are 'random' as previously described. I can nail most of them on the first run, that wouldn't be possible if they were random. Sure, they require quite a bit more fine tuned handling than the other vehicles, but that's what I like about them! They're very different.

Lagoon is a bit weird though. Some of the shifts in surfaces are jarring. It's like every vehicle combined, almost. I don't mind it, though I do think things like the 'engine off' needlessly punish minor mistakes in a way that doesn't feature in any other region. If you bump into a wall then you drop acceleration and lose time, that's punishment enough without being forced to a standstill at a permanent 0 MPH. I'm on track 70 and so far haven't felt that these engine off segments really add anything to the game.

On another note, split screen fun plus four salty friends is amazing fun. Pick the hardest track and let them go at it! The powerup gimmicks totally break some of the levels if used correctly. Heck, I think some of the levels might even be uncompletable on this mode if you fail at the wrong checkpoints. Doesn't seem like you can get up enough speed to make some of the jumps. Still a good laugh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The dirt tracks are generally fine IMO, as well as grass. Finicky, and it doesn't very feel good, but at least they're sort of navigable. But the beach stuff. No. Fuck all of that. You basically have to hit the sandy parts at a perfect angle and then just pray you don't bump into anything. If you've got a lot of track to work with some tiny adjustments are feasible, but overall you have close to zero control over what the fuck happens. Not fun at all, and not what I play Trackmania for.

I don't really understand it. Off-road racing can be slidey and slippery but still very fun and controllable. Just look at something like Motorstorm, or any good rally game. But here Nadeo have really failed to create a good handling model.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
I never played any trackmania game before but after seeing the reviews and reading this thread I almost bought it however after seeing the price (50$) Canadian I feel it's kind of a rip-off is it?

I feel this game is in the same style as Trials Fusion and this game is 20$

I'll wait for it to drop to 20$

I've got Gold all through White and Canyon Green. I just got to Valley again and my fucking god does the Valley car suck. On dirt, on pavement, on everything. That car handles like crap.

I never played any trackmania game before but after seeing the reviews and reading this thread I almost bought it however after seeing the price (50$) Canadian I feel it's kind of a rip-off is it?

I paid €35 for it, rather than the usual €60. And yeah it's that type of game, but it definitely has more substance than a Trials Fusion.

I would say Trackmania offers a lot more than Trials Fusion in terms of content. The game features 200 single player tracks and these tracks are much more complicated in their build relative to the 2D tracks in trials fusion, additionally, there's much more mechanical depth to this game than trials fusion, as you're controlling a vehicle in 3D space, with various mechanics interwoven.

Not only that, but each vehicle discipline introduces a new vehicle with a very distinct handling model, much more so than trials where it's mostly just weight acceleration and speed that vary. In Trackmania, the drifting model, sense of speed and turning also vary, and each discipline also introduces mechanical elements (e.g. engine off), road surfaces and environmental aesthetics that are unique to that displine. On top of that you have the 100 player online mode, and diverse package of split screen options that make the game an absolute blast both online, or in local multiplayer.

Ultimately while trackmania shares a lot of its DNA with trials, it's a much more expansive experience, featuring more gameplay depth, more variety, greater technical fidelity, and much expanded online modes. It's one of the most value-packed racers I have played in recent years, and if trackmania is a 'rip off' then the value propositions of just about every other racing game under the sun are exceptionally poor.

Afrikan

Can't believe how few are playing this on the PS4, what's the PC numbers like?

I only found out it released from a co-worker last week.. and that NEVER happens. Usually I'm on top of all the upcoming releases.

also I think the PSN Gamepage image might turn some people off. It looks like a kiddy game with all the colors...and some might not even enter the gamepage because of that..and miss out on the trailer.

anyway is there a GAF room for PS4? a Community? I checked the google docs thing and nothing.

I was hoping all of the people I added because of Driveclub, was hoping some of them might have got this game as well.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Just got this yesterday, my first Trackmania game and I'm having a blast. Only played a couple of hours but it is so much fun. The gameplay is so addictive and having times to constantly compete with, be it AI or another player's, is great!

Just finished the first 10 levels of the single player campaign and managed to get gold for them without too much trouble. Hopped into a few online games as well which was more fun than I expected - being in a room with 100 other people, trying to get the best time is just great.

For £20, this game is a must buy!

Edit: If anyone would like another player to compare their times with, add me on PSN: FireHotStickies.

How do you level up? I've been doing pretty good in online races, but between yesterday and today my "progress bar" is at 32% and hasn't budged.

Follow-up question. For stunt races, stunts just give you boosts right, it's still about the time as far as ranking goes?

sneaky77

How do you level up? I've been doing pretty good in online races, but between yesterday and today my "progress bar" is at 32% and hasn't budged.

Follow-up question. For stunt races, stunts just give you boosts right, it's still about the time as far as ranking goes?

i think you have to finish in the top 30 to inrease

Using analog is the way forward, whoever it was that said digital is the way it was designed was talking from their behind.

Well the game does have a unique 'feel,' and I know for me starting out on analogue was a recipe for disaster. I switched to digital and I found it much easier to transition into the game's gameplay. I may switch back to analogue but for now, digital is working great. I'm glad it's an option, and it should be in all racing games.

Well the game does have a unique 'feel,' and I know for me starting out on analogue was a recipe for disaster. I switched to digital and I found it much easier to transition into the game's gameplay. I may switch back to analogue but for now, digital is working great. I'm glad it's an option, and it should be in all racing games.

I really don't think it's an appropriate option in all racing games, let's take project cars for instance, or any racing sim, a digital button press doesn't 'simulate' any real aspect of the game in regards to steering, so it makes almost no sense in those games.

As for here, I think digital is a pretty bad way to go during off road segments, making oversteer much more likely to occur and when it does, very very difficult to compensate for and 'fix' following its onset. That may become an issue for you in later valley and lagoon off-road segments.

5taquitos

I really don't think it's an appropriate option in all racing games, let's take project cars for instance, or any racing sim, a digital button press doesn't 'simulate' any real aspect of the game in regards to steering, so it makes almost no sense in those games.

As for here, I think digital is a pretty bad way to go during off road segments, making oversteer much more likely to occur and when it does, very very difficult to compensate for and 'fix' following its onset. That may become an issue for you in later valley and lagoon off-road segments.

Digital is essential for remote play in this game, I can't steer for the life of me with Vita's tiny little sticks.

Afrikan

God of love this game.

I don't know how but I see alittle bit of

San Francisco Rush 64
Destruction Derby 2
Motorstorm
Daytona USA
Hydro Thunder

and a DOS Touring Looking Racing game from the early 90's that had you doing similar loops. It had realistic graphics.

Imaginary Cookie for the person who can name that last game... I always forget. :/

God of love this game.

San Francisco Rush 64
Destruction Derby 2
Motorstorm
Daytona USA
Hydro Thunder

and a DOS Touring Looking Racing game from the early 90's that had you doing similar loops. It had realistic graphics.

Imaginary Cookie for the person who can name that last game... I always forget. :/

?

2497439-8462614088-Z0037.jpg

Gold_Loot

God of love this game.

San Francisco Rush 64
Destruction Derby 2
Motorstorm
Daytona USA
Hydro Thunder

I know this is the wrong answer, but don't forget about Mmmmmega Race!

Afrikan

damn... it looked realistic back then haha..

but to be honest, was there another game that was similar to this released on DOS. This one released in 95.. I swear I played it a few years before that.

it might just be this one, and maybe I'm only remembering one track.

ah... getting old.

anyway...

chocchipcookies-30.jpg

So this is probably going to seem like an immensely stupid question in a game so clearly built around time trials (which I love) but... is there any way to do offline races? I see other cars in all the promo shots, but I don't seem to see any way to actually race another car save for MP.

Top Bottom