• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer: Tomb Raider Movie feat. Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Makes you appreciate the Angelina Jolie films.

That sound effect in the trailer though. I feel like I'm missing out on some intentional 80s B movie campiness vibe I'm supposed to get. There's no weight to the acting or characters at all.

Just finished rewatching As Above, So Below with a group of friends and it reminded me that it was the dream Tomb Raider film... other than being a horror movie about entering Hell.

But still, I figured I would drop this here so anyone curious could take a look. For reference, here’s what I mean.

WillyFive

giphy.gif

This looks like a clip of a Tomb Raider-alike cameo in a Scary Movie sequel.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Looked OK to me. Some people seem to have some bizarre expectations for movie adaptations of videogames.

Bishop89

Looked OK to me. Some people seem to have some bizarre expectations for movie adaptations of videogames.
This looks worse than the original, which was made in an era of low effort attempts at VG movies, except the Jolie movie had a proper budget behind it.

To be frank, it looks exactly like the reboot. Cheesy action where Lara almost dies 800 times, dull family history plotlines and Lara conquering some ancient magical evil. It's about as faithful as you're going to find.

To be frank, it looks exactly like the reboot. Cheesy action where Lara almost dies 800 times, dull family history plotlines and Lara conquering some ancient magical evil. It's about as faithful as you're going to find.

Yeah it's so bad because it's just too faithful to the TR reboot :/

Story and characters are the worst in the games. Why base the movie on them?

Lara Croft saves the world. lol.

zeemumu

It looks like a combination of both her old and reboot personalities. I was getting pretty bored until I saw the big dumb death spike trap and now I think I'm in. Can't tell if it's just the accent making it sound like "Laura" or if they're actually mispronouncing it.

Jumeira

Banned
Hmmmm....naah.

Angelina was the perfectly spec'd for Lara. This lady looks like she's vloging for her YouTube channel in some of those clips.

f601c4aeba8e17f3875f34c73b4da520.jpg

Unity2012

I give her credit for training hard to do as much work as she could and not rely solely on a stunt double. It looks like she honestly wanted to live the part and not being an object to it.

Angelina Jolie also put a lot of work, and usually does, in all her action sequences. I loved her as Lara-but that's just me. Alicia is an extraordinary actor and I hope she caters to a newer generation the way the new games has introduced the young Lara to them.

poodaddy

Looks like brainless schlock. Seems like a film for fans of the Resident Evil movies or other such awful action fare.

Devil

The plot and all of ROTR was terrible and so is the trailer. How can anyone think that's movie material? They actually made a movie out of the shitty trinity plot, holy cow...

Really surprised by the good reception on the first page.

Hmmmm....naah.

Angelina was the perfectly spec'd for Lara. This lady looks like she's vloging for her YouTube channel in some of those clips.

This terrible trailer makes me appreciate the Angelina Jolie for what they were even though they were terrible. She was a much better Lara IMO.

Looks like brainless schlock. Seems like a film for fans of the Resident Evil movies or other such awful action fare.
The sad thing is that I like the Resident Evil movies even though they are dumb as hell. This however, I can't get behind. It has passed that "it's so bad it's good" threshold for me that RE movies occupy.

tci

Lara Croft saves the world. lol.

This crap needs to end in most Hollywood movies. There are hundreds of movies where the world is ending. Why should we start caring now?

Make movies about human beings and their battles/struggles. Making the story bigger than people themselves create a shallow and boring story for the most part. The same goes for the romantic interest plot. There can be fantastic stories without any world ending or romantic interest in movies. Todays directors needs to take a closer look at movies from the 60-70's. Camera work, visual depth, characters (plus not everyone was a teenager), were a lot better.

This is the reason I rarely watch movies anymore (maybe 1-3 a year). At least coming from Hollywood. Most of them are badly done and uninspired.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmmmm....naah.

great fit for the OG Lara. not so much for the current one if they are trying to make the movie reboot mirror the rebooted game.

Well that seems bad, also i dont get why people harp on the reboots plots so bad? They werent bad, hell id say they were pretty good. Is it just because this games direct competition is uncharted? By those standards alot of game plots seem poor. Its like when people harp on the witcher 3 combat, i honestly belive alot of that vitriol came out of that v bloodborne for goty 2015, which again by that standard what can stack to a from game?

Top Bottom