• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer: Tomb Raider Movie feat. Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Tankard

Looks like it is gonna be very similar in story to the Reboot, a lot of recognizable stuff there, but there is something just way off about all of that too. I like Viikander but she doesn't seem to have any charisma for this role.

I don't think the plot seems super interesting, they took some good moments from the games but I would have preferred something more tonally close to the reboot than Save The World And Save Humanity stuff.

Nick Frost was a pleasant surprise though.

Harlequin

She was responsible for a lot of it, still, and for the plot of Rise of the Tomb Raider, which wasn't better.

We actually don't know how much control she had over Rise's plot. For example, we know that she wanted to focus more on Lara's PTSD in Rise and less on her father but Crystal vetoed that so it was probably less than you're implying. Keep in mind that Crystal does have in-house writers whom she had to collaborate with and that writers in this industry often get very little say in things in general and are frequently brought onto projects way too late in the process. Personally, I think it's more likely that Crystal's approach to writing and storytelling (and/or maybe their in-house writers) is to blame than Rhianna. Especially seeing as she's also worked on some stuff that turned out really well like Heavenly Sword. (And I've heard good things about Overlord's writing, as well, though I haven't played it myself.)

lol it really doesn't look bad. I feel like if a video game trailer isn't a fucking 10/10 then people just shit on it. Is it a little generic? Sure. But no more than an average action flick.

link2021

Trailer was good but fuck that annoying sound that kept popping up after every damn line. Took me right out of that trailer.

Edit: lol whoops not even the trailer in that quote.

That sound. sound like the beginning of black Betty.was waiting for it to drop it never did. :( disappointed lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Trailer looked average at best. I kept mistaking the lead actor for Emily Blut for some reason.

KaoticBlaze

#notmylaracroft

But seriously, if they are trying to keep it close to the games, why not use Camilla Luddington who voiced the new games and is a good actress? I believe they also modeled the face and body after her as well as doing all the mocap for the character.

jelly

#notmylaracroft

But seriously, if they are trying to keep it close to the games, why not use Camilla Luddington who voiced the new games and is a good actress? I believe they also modeled the body after her as well.

People seem to think the game character is small and thin too. If anything Alicia is close enough. Sadly I get the feeling if she had big boobs you wouldn't hear a single complaint.

I don't get being hung up on the look, it isn't based on classic Lara.

Harlequin

#notmylaracroft

But seriously, if they are trying to keep it close to the games, why not use Camilla Luddington who voiced the new games and is a good actress? I believe they also modeled the face and body after her as well as doing all the mocap for the character.

They didn't model her off of Camilla. They 3D-scanned a model to use as a base for the face (but then modified that quite a bit so the ingame model doesn't actually resemble her all that much, either). And Camilla honestly doesn't look that much like Lara IMO. Plus her British accent isn't great (which is ironic seeing as she is British but she seems to have lost her accent over time) and she's probably less well-known than Alicia (not that Alicia is super well-known).

KaoticBlaze

People seem to think the game character is small and thin too. If anything Alicia is close enough. Sadly I get the feeling if she had big boobs you wouldn't hear a single complaint.

I don't get being hung up on the look, it isn't based on classic Lara.

its not about having big boobs or a certain body type. Hell, I hated Angelina Jolie's TR and she was busty like the older games. Its just im not really liking this choice in casting for the new movie. She looks super dull. and like i said if they're trying to keep it close to the game why not use the actress who already did all the work on the game?

They didn't model her off of Camilla. They 3D-scanned a model to use as a base for the face (but then modified that quite a bit so the ingame model doesn't actually resemble her all that much, either). And Camilla honestly doesn't look that much like Lara IMO. Plus her British accent isn't great (which is ironic seeing as she is British but she seems to have lost her accent over time) and she's probably less well-known than Alicia (not that Alicia is super well-known).

ahh ok, I didnt know that. I thought they modeled it after Camilla. My bad

drotahorror

Wow that looks fuckin terrible. Only thing that can save it is Walton Goggins. That CG was ridiculous as well. Very hard pass on this. I expected better.

Harlequin

ahh ok, I didnt know that. I thought they modeled it after Camilla. My bad

This is the model whose face they scanned, Megan Farquhar.

hgAtoik.png

(That being said, some of Camilla's likeness is bound to have slipped in through the facial mo-capping.)

#notmylaracroft

Is she a good actor though? I haven't seen any of her work outside of TR where she made Lara sound super annoying! But maybe that's just the writers and directors fault.

I hope the movie Lara is more likeable. I love the Alicia she looks perfect for Lara Croft!

tuxfool

Banned
Camilla is bad enough voicing the game, having her as Lara in the movie would not be an improvement.

Yeah this. Though at least some of the problems of the game is the absolutely hokey script. I'm not sure anybody could come out sounding good from that.

pooptest

Of course it looks terrible, that just isn't Lara Croft at all. No English accent, no witty one-liners, not feminine in terms of outfit design and there's nothing that resembles Tomb Raider in that. "Death is not an adventure" just goes to show how out of touch they are with their audience because Lara actually likes the rush of avoiding death, not trying to actively to avoid that.

So, you're fine with Jolie's faux-British accent, but not with Vikander's native-Swedish accent? Okay...

#notmylaracroft

Because they could get a young, ridiculously attractive, academy award winning starlet on the rise? This is Hollywood baby you're not having your movie led by Camila Luddington.

Aske

Superb cast, but as a fan of the new games, this looks pretty dull. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be giving me that I haven't already played.

I think it'll be competent but forgettable, much like the Jake Gyllenhaal Price of Persia. It certainly doesn't look like it'll have the camp staying power of the Jolie TR films.

KORNdoggy

Disagree. I think Camilla did a great job voicing a more grounded Lara Croft. Hard to say how she would be in a live-action version, however.

did you just looooove *breathy exclamation* how breathhhhy *breathy exclamation* she said eeeeevythiiiing *breathy exclamation* to maaaaake it sooooound like she caaaared about what she was saaaaying and doooingggg! *breathy exclamation*

seriously, camilla is an actual english woman, and yet somehow made herself sound like an american putting on an a terrible english accent. lol

did you just looooove *breathy exclamation* how breathhhhy *breathy exclamation* she said eeeeevythiiiing *breathy exclamation* to maaaaake it sooooound like she caaaared about what she was saaaaying and doooingggg! *breathy exclamation*

seriously, camilla is an actual english woman, and yet somehow made herself sound like an american putting on an a terrible english accent. lol

Yeah, she is bad.

Aske

A lot of people level this criticism at Luddington, but as a genuine English human, I think her TR accent sounds flawlessly English. Some Brits sound quite transatlantic; but Luddington's Lara Croft actually has a great deal fewer of those elements in her voice than many born and bred Brits.

Camilla Luddington's own, not-acting voice certainly sounds like an uneasy blend of English and West Coast American, not at all representative of anyone who spent their whole life in either country; but that never corrupts the authenticity of the English accent she uses when she performs the role in the games.

I say this as someone who is often irritated by American or Australian actors who fail to sound authentic when playing British characters - and vice versa, although I think British actors tend to be better at faking accents simply because British people grow up surrounded by far more accents than people in most other English-speaking countries. The number of accents we have throughout our tiny kingdom is utterly absurd; something I didn't realise until I moved away as an adult and realised wasn't the case anywhere else.

jennetics

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it

Toa TAK

Banned
A lot of people level this criticism at Luddington, but as a genuine English human, I think her TR accent sounds flawlessly English. Some Brits sound quite transatlantic; but Luddington's Lara Croft actually has a great deal fewer of those elements in her voice than many born and bred Brits.

Camilla Luddington's own, not-acting voice certainly sounds like an uneasy blend of English and West Coast American, not at all representative of anyone who spent their whole life in either country; but that never corrupts the authenticity of the English accent she uses when she performs the role in the games.

I say this as someone who is often irritated by American or Australian actors who fail to sound authentic when playing British characters - and vice versa, although I think British actors tend to be better at faking accents simply because British people grow up surrounded by far more accents than people in most other English-speaking countries. The number of accents we have throughout our tiny kingdom is utterly absurd; something I didn't realise until I moved away as an adult and realised wasn't the case anywhere else.
This is some interesting insight, thanks for sharing. Seriously.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The 2013 reboot ended with her picking up two pistols and shooting the bad guy.
But in the sequel she didn't use them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh yeah it's coming back! I remember starting Rise and thinking about the dual pistols TR13 ended with.

#notmylaracroft

Because she is nowhere the same league as Alicia Vikander.

Print_Dog

The script is pretty cliché, but I like the look of things. The lead actress looks and sounds like Lara Croft from the reboot. I think it'll be good.

Top Bottom