• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailers of Japanese indie games at Comiket 88

FluxWaveZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZV8SdjT7Q

Siliconera:
Japanese indie studio Edelweiss has, once again, compiled all of the trailers of games appearing at Comiket 88 into one big video. You can watch all of the trailers above.

Basically an hour plus long collection of Japanese indie game trailers which will be at Comic Market 88 next week (August 14-16). Some interesting stuff in there.

x1VL7Zj.gif
v3atpTh.gif

Also: HOW TO SURVIVE COMIC MARKET

Jebusman

Banned
I always get a kick of the indie/doujin stuff at Comiket. Most of the SHMUPs I've played came out of it.

Edit: Touhou Limbo actually made me laugh more than I expected. Points for originality there.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That second .gif is from ACE OF SEAFOOD, the sequel to Neo Aquarium, which you might know from the recent "Games from Japan" Humble Bundle.

The very last trailer shown in the video (a bullet-hell shooter called BLUE REVOLVER) is actually a western-made game, and you can download an early alpha from itch.io: http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-demo

Durante

Touhou RTS? Touhou RTS.

Interesting to see what looks like a first person action RPG there, not what you usually expect.

Also, Hekatoncheir looks appropriately insane for something billing itself as 5D.

Tain

Touhou Pang, lol.

Dungeons & Darkness looks... like King's Field on a modern engine, with all the jank that entails.

New Astro Port looks neat as always.

yooooooooooooo that Siter Skain Armed Dragoon game looks amazing. Holy shit. Wow. I'm very excited for that.

Like I want to make gifs of that.

Strangely that trailer doesn't document the trailer for the actual mainline C88 Touhou game, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.

Touhou Limbo looks out of place. I dunno how to exactly describe it, but Limbo is one of the few things that doesn't meld well with Touhou. Especially given how belligerent Reimu is. Then again it's only 100 yen, I may give it a shot.

Now that How to Survive video is brilliant.

dude Touhou is insane and it's still indie, aren't they the biggest Japanese Indie basically?

Basically yeah. Although unlike most indies, Touhou does have some commercialized products (the manga and the light novels). But the games are still indie.

Tain

new BlackBastard game looks cool but I have yet to play his prior games. I guess those are... done? Out? idk

A lot of interesting stuff there.

Ace of Seafoods is just the greatest thing I've seen this year btw.

But serously, I liked most of the stuff shown.

Dungeons and Darkness I started kinda "meh" thanks to the janky animations... But the more I looked, the more I liked it. I might keep an eye on that.

That Touhou Skydrift and the top down shooter bullet hell (Touhou too?) looks pretty fun. The Armed Dragoon game also looked interesting.

Reverse x Reverse seems cool, but it's the kind of platformer where I just lose myself.

Hekatoncheir is also something I wish I could understand well enough to play. (Oh, if only we had someone who could localize indie japanese games. Oh, how I wish... *cough cough* ahem)

Black Maria Overdrive has a lot of hype potential... like, a lot!

If they manage to find a way to make Zangeki Warp have some decent level of difficulty, then it also has the same amount of hype potential.

The "ゆりかごのそら" game (I'm not going to attempt a translation =P) and SkyLens seemed fun. Also showed how indie japanese devs have better knowledge on how to make melee combat than most western devs >.>

I found a few others quite interesting as well, but mostly games that are not quite for me.

So... Is there any way for us in the west to get these games? Or do we have to hope for some of them to get localizations?

Lebon14

> Touhou fans mentions crap-ton of fan-made games.
> Yet they forget that the full version of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom is coming out.

Welp.

Lebon14

The "ゆりかごのそら" game (I'm not going to attempt a translation =P) and SkyLens seemed fun. Also showed how indie japanese devs have better knowledge on how to make melee combat than most western devs >.>

Translation: "Sky's Cradle" or "Cradle of the Sky".

(Note: Used Firefox's Rikaichan extension for that)

Translation: "Sky's Cradle" or "Cradle of the Sky".

(Note: Used Firefox's Rikaichan extension for that)
Yeah, I could translate "Sky", nothing more =P

Thanks for that.

Hope Playism picks them up.

Other than that, fan-translation. Not a good outlook I suppose.

Not even in Japanese?

Like, I would totally play those STGs without translations.

I just need to know if there's a way for people here to buy them.

demidar

Not even in Japanese?

Like, I would totally play those STGs without translations.

I just need to know if there's a way for people here to buy them.

You could maybe import them from melonbooks or other doujin-specialized stores.

Amazon JP might do order fulfillment as well???

You could maybe import them from melonbooks or other doujin-specialized stores.

Amazon JP might do order fulfillment as well???

Never bought from melonbooks before. Might as well try them I guess.

I also didn't know you could use Amazon JP for this =P

I'll get a friend to help me out with the stores then.

Thanks a lot for the answers. I'll try to hunt them down, some of these interest me quite a bit.

All of them.
On steam.
Now!

Hopefully one day.

That Black Maria Overdrive looks like Rocket Knight/Sparkster type game.

That second .gif is from ACE OF SEAFOOD, the sequel to Neo Aquarium, which you might know from the recent "Games from Japan" Humble Bundle.

The very last trailer shown in the video (a bullet-hell shooter called BLUE REVOLVER) is actually a western-made game, and you can download an early alpha from itch.io: http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-demo

Shit and i havent bought it.

Lain

That Cherry Tree game, Cherry Tree High Girl Fight has my interest. Maybe given we have 2 of the games on Steam, this one might make the jump too.

> Touhou fans mentions crap-ton of fan-made games.
> Yet they forget that the full version of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom is coming out.

Welp.

Danmaku games are too scary for a good chunk of the audience. The secondary material makes up a rather large chunk of the fanbase's consumption. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; the fanbase has cooked up some really cool stuff like Touhou Afterburner.

Touhou 15 is also scarier than usual, going by the demo.

KDR_11k

Nice(?) to see that the doujin trend of putting all the effort into the character models and just slapping some stock textures onto rough geometry for the environment is still well and alive.

Also whoever told Japan that "Simulator" means "game with broken physics" needs a slap. First Deserter Simulator, now Yohjo Simulator... It's like "we can't do gameplay and we can't do physics, let's make a Goat Simulator!"

Also a good number of these trailers would end up on Jim Sterling's channel if they were uploaded to Greenlight.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Ugh, Touhou trash. Not too much that looks interesting this time around, some nice character models from a few games though.

Top Bottom