• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailers of Japanese indie games at Comiket 88

RedSwirl

like seriously how can you not get pumped for this:

MeekNeglectedBrownbutterfly.gif

DelayedPerkyChanticleer.gif

Does this have a name yet?

Lain

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

We (Nyu Media) localized them and ran a Kickstarter for the Alltynex games. Moreover, our latest release has been Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser and one of their most recent games, STEEL STRIDER (yep, in caps) is already on Steam Greenlight. Same for the Cherry Tree High games and the recently released Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm by the way.

Now, looking at those trailers, some pretty interesting stuff indeed! I've already eyed some things so I hope by the time I'll be there (for Winter Comiket, I've already signed up), many of the WIPs will be finished, heh.

edit: oh, man, Zangeki Warp is like coming back to those old R-Type and Salamander days with fleshy, organic monsters and scary stages (seeing your ship crushed by giant metal cleavers or rusty swords...), if I recall correctly, Witch Borg Meglilo (an older Astro Port game) also had a defensive teleportation mechanic but it doesn't seem as elaborated as here.

Hopefully you'll be able to get us that new Cherry Tree High game shown in the trailer ;p

Coxy

There were a lot of nice looking tactical and strategy RPGs, that garden one had nice art

Gee game at 27 minute mark is a blatant ripoff of Velocity's mechanics

They had the same mechanic in a game years before velocity.
are you now going to accuse velocity of ripping them off or do your accusations only work one way? lol

Momentary

Banned
Is there a cliffnotes of the new beat-em-ups, shmups and character action games in this?

For Shmups there is Armed Dragoon, Zangeki Warp, Blue Revolver, L.U.X. and some others. Those looked the most attractive to me. You also have the 3D shooter Ace of Seafood.

The mini-wargames look cute but not anywhere close to the shooters in terms of quality and ideas. Armed Dragoon looks a bit dull visually, but I need to scratch that all-range Valken mood and this looks perfect for that. Zangeki Warp also could be fun, supposing the warp mechanic is properly balanced against the rest of the game. I hope stuff like YohjoSimulator remains a phase that doujin devs are going through in the process of learning Unity and Unreal Engine 4, even considering OP's GIF.

StayDead

I know one of the guys making Blue Revolver. He's put a lot of effort in along with the rest of the guys making it so I know there's a lot of love gone into the project.

I played the demo they made and it really is as good as it looks. Takes a lot of inspiration from dodonpachi.

Watched trailer.

The music in the 2nd trailer is aces.

Garden tale @ 20m looks very slick; like the PS3 NI games.

The one after it has good music & pizazz even though I have NO CLUE what it is.

Dungeons and Darkness still has great music and still reeks of Kings Field.

Black Maria Overdrive DOES look swank.

Hamamoru is apparently the Cavyhouse MC? I think?

demidar

Explain?
Is it that they feel there's no audience unless they pander?

While the audience for these "cute girls" is small, they're also a dependable source of income and are willing to spend a disproportionately high amount compared to regular people, so it can be considered less risky to pander to that audience especially when making inherently niche products.

HGH

Banned
It should be noted that a lot of these are demos priced at 90 cents and such. Especially all the ones that are obviously baby's first game/XBLA quality.

Still, some cool looking stuff as everyone noted. For those who liked Hekatoncheir, look up Ghost92/Ghost93/Ghost94. It's basically a cool stealth series at this point.
I suppose all of StrawberryBose's games are gonna have draconian DRM as usual though.
So what's the Astebreed trail for? A Soundtrack?
No, it appears to be an enhanced/GOTY edition that for whatever reason is exclusive to PS4. I don't know why they'd make the PC version obsolete.

Kudo

No, it appears to be an enhanced/GOTY edition that for whatever reason is exclusive to PS4. I don't know why they'd make the PC version obsolete.

You're probably wrong, unless my japanese is completely failing me (and english) or you know something I don't. It says Astebreed Complete Soundtrack:
http://edelweiss.skr.jp/works/astebreed_cst/index.html
Includes songs from PS4 version, chiptune arrangements and people who buy the PC version get it for half the price.

fvng

There were a lot of nice looking tactical and strategy RPGs, that garden one had nice art

They had the same mechanic in a game years before velocity.
are you now going to accuse velocity of ripping them off or do your accusations only work one way? lol

if that game mechanic existed before velocity then it's pretty clear who ripped off who isnt' it? why even ask this?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Playism is suggesting some C88 games they may bring over:

http://playism-games.com/article/comiket-88-games

Not...really a fan of the selection. Still, they're taking suggestions. Might wanna give them some feedback.
Would this be better in its own thread?

I'm watching this thread, so please suggest the ones you guys are interested in. Leave a comment in the article if there's something you really want us to grab. We absolutely listen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Kudo

I'm watching this thread, so please suggest the ones you guys are interested in. Leave a comment in the article if there's something you really want us to grab. We absolutely listen.

I'm definitely interested in giving Yohjo Simulator a try, also something not in the list "Hekatoncheir", the newest game from Circle BlackBastard and as mentioned above better known for the Ghost9* games.
If Ghost9* games come this way I'll definitely give them a try too!

thetrin

I'm definitely interested in giving Yohjo Simulator a try, also something not in the list "Hekatoncheir", the newest game from Circle BlackBastard and as mentioned above better known for the Ghost9* games.
If Ghost9* games come this way I'll definitely give them a try too!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll let the rest of the team know.

The only one I'd really like you guys to consider is Hekatoncheir.

Most of the other ones that I'm interested in I can play in Japanese.

But if I had to say others, I'd say SkyLens and Black Maria Overdrive.

Armed Dragoon
Zangeki Warp (I'll buy this and the above from Nyu if they beat you to it)
Black Maria Overdrive
Ghost9x installments (these are just weird enough to work!)
The sword-fighting game I can't grasp the name of (I don't know if it's complete yet, but it's looking better and better)

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. For a Western game, Blue Revolver would be a good fit.

Two log-ins to do that? I'll just say here that Black Maria Overdrive, Garden Tale, and the one after it in the trailer are the ones I'm piqued from. Darkness & Dungeons and that Lost Technology looks aces, too.

thetrin

Keep in mind that we were all over Black Maria Overdrive. It was my #1 recommendation that we check out going into Comiket. We just weren't able to get a copy from the devs so it didn't appear in the article.

So, don't worry! We saw it!

Two log-ins to do that? I'll just say here that Black Maria Overdrive, Garden Tale, and the one after it in the trailer are the ones I'm piqued from. Darkness & Dungeons and that Lost Technology looks aces, too.

Thanks for the feedback! Those are all titles I'm really keen on myself.

thebatdan

Hey guys! I'm Dan, Playism's content manager. I usually just lurk but I thought I'd pop in to say thanks for all the awesome feedback. You guys have great taste =D

I actually just finished playing some Hexaraid in the office and it's really badass. Got up to 8th place on the JPN rankings =) It's got real-time leaderboard info while you're playing which is both amazing and distracting at the same time hehe.

BlackBastard's games are awesome too, but I'm sorry to say that for reasons I can't divulge they won't be possible to release =(

Other than that just keep an eye out! Will be working on putting out some cool c88 games for people to have fun with!

kevm3

why do the vast majority of these games star little anime girls?

Japan used to have very interesting character design, and now I'm seeing that 'moe' nonsense plastered everywhere.

HGH

Banned
My apologies for the earlier comment, that was out of line.
Sadly Armed Dragoon is just a demo. It'll be a while for the full game. SkyLens is also still a demo.
Personally I'd love some StrawberryBose games if only to not have to deal with their crazy DRM. But I don't think that's really viable...
Zangeki Warp looks cool. Dungeons and Darkness could be ok if it's not too jank (like, clipping through walls and falling through the world level bugs).
Ace of Seafood is a necessity.
Joke suggestion, bring Desunoya games to torture people with.
And of course, seconding everyone's Ghost9 suggestions. EDIT: Aw man. I knew this was gonna happen, I've heard of the developer refusing previous offers and not wanting his games released internationally. Jeez...
What are the Ghost9 games?

My best description would be a combination 2d/3d sneaking game.
The graphics are 2d pixelated sprites and such. You walk in a 2 plain like in a platformer, but you can move through the foreground and background by shifting plains or turning the camera 90 degrees. This is used for platforming and moving around, since some objects, doors and entrances only exist when you're looking at them. You can enter a first person view to see how everything in a room actually looks in 3d, as well as shoot things. You're mostly dealing with soldiers, cameras, drones, etc... while sneaking and platforming through a big complex. You don't have much in the way of health.
It's honestly kinda hard to describe.

thetrin

Japan used to have very interesting character design, and now I'm seeing that 'moe' nonsense plastered everywhere.

it's what the audience wants. The audience wants lots of that over and over and over again forever. Comiket devs want to actually sell their game, so they bend to the market's will.

thebatdan

it's what the audience wants. The audience wants lots of that over and over and over again forever. Comiket devs want to actually sell their game, so they bend to the market's will.

Still feel like Japan kills it with mecha designs. Can always rely on that at least

fertygo

Keep in mind that we were all over Black Maria Overdrive. It was my #1 recommendation that we check out going into Comiket. We just weren't able to get a copy from the devs so it didn't appear in the article.

So, don't worry! We saw it!

Thanks for the feedback! Those are all titles I'm really keen on myself.

Bring any turn based RPG that you can please

MrDoctor

Ghost9
Zangeki Warp
Armed Dragoon
Dungeons and Darkness
2hu Mario Kart
Lethal Operation
Biblinthus
Oculus Rift game
Sword fighting game
Ace of Seafood

I would buy every one of these.

Lain

Those Steam quality comments:
mordin86 Adesso
No. just No.

7CRZ.Purple 3 minuti fa
I think this game is for people who are into lollicons. Seriously a game specially made for pervs and not for the public to be exact. Damn! I voted 'No' sorry but you seriously have to rethink and remake the game if you want it published to the public in steam

Scarecrow 6 minuti fa
Anyone that votes this up Is Pro-Pedophilia or stupid.

[EcG] TracyJackson 7 minuti fa
I was tempted to upvote just for laugh...then, I voted "no" because...really, why is this a thing!? I bet this is best suited for pervs who just like looking at little girls and thinking bad things about them.

If anything, this gets my vote.

Ultimadrago

I hope to play Yohjo Simulator with ponpo-senpai one day.

Edit: After having played now, I'm not sure if I want this. I mean, the game is super super bare-bones. The whole area isn't larger than a shoebox. I would hope they would plan to expand very quickly if Greenlit at all.

FluxWaveZ

Jim Sterling made a video about it with its introduction to Steam Greenlight.

I'll be honest, I can't really see the "creepy" factor that people seemingly have with it. It's weird as fuck, obviously, but creepy? I guess the fact that it's labeled as a "little girl simulator" is, and those practically naked men combined with the description that the girl has to "defend herself" could be, too.

But if people's problems comes from the fact that it has them play as a third grade girl, I don't see it. Maybe if she wasn't dressed in gym bloomers.

Top Bottom