• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well...that's smaller than I'd hoped for.

nbLV4tO.jpg

Aske

Yeah, the added heft that Trypticon's going to get from his length and width will probably give him a lot more presence in-person, so I'm not too bothered about that.

But when I smash them together and do their voices, Trypticon's going to feel a bit like Trypticon Jr.

Beth Cyra

Im honestly shocked they still haven't announced a winner to the Prime contest. I was thinking two week at max before we got word.

Been jonesing bad, even though Magnus has zero shot at winning I can't help but root for my boy.

Beth Cyra

I thought Primal was the winner?

OH did I miss it? I checked earlier this week and it still said to check back later this month.

Well can't say Im shocked by the news Primal was easily the most likely pick even from round 1 but still sad it went to the obvious choice.

Thanks Mike!

Edit: Just checked and at least in the section Choose Your Prime it still isn't showing me a winner. So if they did announce it, it doesn't seem to be listed there.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't have a problem with it being Primal but he seems like the safest, most boring option. Still, at least that's pretty much confirmation we're getting some BW guys in the next line.

Sora_N

I finally bought my first Transformers toy in a long time, I think the last one I got was MP Soundwave.

I got MP Cheetor, but I guess I really should have just used the instructions. I broke one of the sides of his crotch hinge. It doesn't seem to affect anything yet. I might be able to glue it back. Such a bummer since it cost me $100 CAD.

I will see if I can live with it, or else I may sell it for what I can and rebuy it.

The toy looks really good though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah there are some fragile bits on MP Cheetor. His shoulders and the cheetah kibble on his forearms are also danger points.

3JORN

Video review of MP-36 Megatron here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkifHgdwEw

I'd rather compromise on the alt mode that the robot mode and this looks awesome for my tastes. I currently have Appolyon and even though it looked good at the time, it's badly made right out of the box, the legs are messy and the headsculpt is not as good as the official one.

The other 3rd party options I do not find appealing as well due mainly to styling/aesthetic on both modes. The official one looks best for my collection. I'm happy we have options though.

DarkOxygen

Neo Member
Can anyone explain the hype around Titans return Triggerhappy? I've read online that the transformation is brilliant - is that the main reason, or is it that combined with being rare? Is the transformation amazing by Hasbro standards, or also third-parties?

muteki

Can anyone explain the hype around Titans return Triggerhappy? I've read online that the transformation is brilliant - is that the main reason, or is it that combined with being rare? Is the transformation amazing by Hasbro standards, or also third-parties?
I wouldn't say he is that rare any more, around here anyway. The transformation isn't complex at all, it is just really creative and everything just fits together perfectly despite a large chunk of it flipping upside down. That, and both modes look great.

It's one of those you can stare at a while and not really understand how it works, until you get it in hand and it's like "Aha!".

Drayco21

Yeah, Triggerhappy's transformation is just really novel and feels good to do. Plus, he has a fantastic head sculpt, great weapons, looks great in both modes- he's just a really nice, expressive, fun deluxe.

Aske

Damn that's a good looking Megatron. Easily the best on the market - Takara nailed the bot mode, accessories, and the poseability is unbelievable. However, I'm surprisingly underwhelmed with the gun mode. It's serviceable, but given how complex and smart the engineering is, I couldn't help but feel a bit let down when the video gave us the big reveal. Looks far better with the stock and silencer though. If I was after a Megatron, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

yami4ct

BW MPs are on the small side right now, so they should be cheaper. Cheetor has less mass than a Carbot at a similar size and Primal is somewhere around the Ironhide size.

Damn that's a good looking Megatron. Easily the best on the market - Takara nailed the bot mode, accessories, and the poseability is unbelievable. However, I'm surprisingly underwhelmed with the gun mode. It's serviceable, but given how complex and smart the engineering is, I couldn't help but feel a bit let down when the video gave us the big reveal. Looks far better with the stock and silencer though. If I was after a Megatron, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The gun mode on almost meg's is pretty underwhelming. It's just not really a transformation that is possible to replicate the gun, it takes a sacrifice, and the size especially is impossible to replicate, so almost every MP scale megs has had to make the gun look silly oversized.

Probably best looking Megtron though, at least from the front. I do wonder if 3rd parties are gonna try to swoop in with some kind of fix for the horrible looking back of this new MP

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
BW MPs are on the small side right now, so they should be cheaper. Cheetor has less mass than a Carbot at a similar size and Primal is somewhere around the Ironhide size.

Primal is way smaller than Ironhide. He's a decent sized Voyager at best.

Yeah I'm bummed at the size they went for with the BW MPs. I really hope it wasn't to force them in line with Rattrap and Rhinox Legends/Generations toys :/

I feel like if they went bigger they could have had some more moving/rotating parts to cover the bot parts in beast mode

Weiss

Banned
Today's Till All Are One was kinda weak, but I guess someone who knows who
Liege Maximo
is might enjoy it more than I did. Plus there's the usual problem of weird scaling in Windblade comics where things seem entirely too small.

Lost Light, meanwhile, was to die for as always, though I'm a little torn on the reveal that
it was Tailgate who mangled Cyclonus since it feels like we're getting into some weird codependent abusive relationship thing that I really don't want them to go down.
Anode continues to endear herself to me
and I'm infuriated that it seems to be true that Lug is just a hallucination.

NEO0MJ

Are there any good rid 15 strongarm or prime arcee plushies?
I want to get one for my niece's bday :p

Transformers Plushies are super rare. If you want one of either of those two you'd need to have it custom made.
Why not buy her a regular toy? There's the simple one step changer version of Strongarm if she's young and you don't want to gift her anything complex.

Tizoc

Reason I want a plushie is cuz my niece is turning 1 year old ^^;

Lost Light #4 was good.

Til all are one though
dang Liege Maximo? Well at least he doesn't look like his extreme 90s design heh.
Would be neat if Roberts would get a crack at writing him X3

aparisi2274

Just got shipping confirmation from Amazon Japan that my MP-36 shipped. Total was $177, which included the global shipping cost. Love that I can get this from Amazon Japan and still pay less than import shops.

Weiss

Banned
Realtalk? I think Strongarm is great and I want her to migrate to Till All Are One. She'd be awesome in Ironhide's task force.

Til all are one though
dang Liege Maximo? Well at least he doesn't look like his extreme 90s design heh.
Would be neat if Roberts would get a crack at writing him X3

It's kind of funny that he went from looking like a Spawn villain to looking like an anime bishonen villain.

Realtalk? I think Strongarm is great and I want her to migrate to Till All Are One. She'd be awesome in Ironhide's task force.

Strongarm is the only figure I own from RiD, so I would be all for that. I like her design a lot (can't comment on much more as I don't watch RiD).

Weiss

Banned
It's kind of funny that he went from looking like a Spawn villain to looking like an anime bishonen villain.

Strongarm is the only figure I own from RiD, so I would be all for that. I like her design a lot (can't comment on much more as I don't watch RiD).

It's honestly better than people give it credit for, though granted it isn't some super amazing hidden gem that nobody appreciates.

I like big dumb Grimlock. I like how Optimus is an old man out of his prime whom his teammates seem to try to work around more often than not. I like the smaller scale lacking the big super important Optimus and Megatron stealing all the spotlight, with Bumblebee running this small team of misfits out to deal with a problem that isn't completely universe shattering, but instead it's just some random Decepticon asshole.

Got

Banned
Was going to go for MP-36 but the price is kind of absurd, so opted for Despotron instead. I think he fits Optimus' aesthetic better anyways.

1upsuper

I really want to get the MP36 Megatron, but I've heard that he's already getting expensive. Is that true? What was his suggested retail price? He's $230 on BBTS right now on pre-order. Have I missed the boat or is this what he always costed?

It's honestly better than people give it credit for, though granted it isn't some super amazing hidden gem that nobody appreciates.

I like big dumb Grimlock. I like how Optimus is an old man out of his prime whom his teammates seem to try to work around more often than not. I like the smaller scale lacking the big super important Optimus and Megatron stealing all the spotlight, with Bumblebee running this small team of misfits out to deal with a problem that isn't completely universe shattering, but instead it's just some random Decepticon asshole.

I wish Optimus wasn't a main character in the show. It's just so ridiculous that normal Optimus could mop the floor with the mook of the week so they nerf him. I think he would have been better served as Jaga to Bumblebee's Lion-O, only appearing when Bee's on a dilemma to provide sage advice, until such time things get serious and you really need him.

I also hate that all the 'Cons are animal mode/vehicle mode. Cybertron possesses none of these indigenous animals, nor the atmosphere to cater to their traits. It just seems silly.

aparisi2274

So my MP-36 Megatron was delivered today from Amazon Japan ( I live in NYC), and he is without a doubt the nicest of the MP figures, but also suffers from being the most complex MP to transform into his alt mode.

Here are some pics I took:

33670707072_c9b339e5a4_c.jpg

33670707022_a4e4a7c4ae_c.jpg

33826834815_fd80c64de2_c.jpg

32983448804_9ec33772ed_c.jpg

33013501543_ed9d27d60b_c.jpg

33441929940_81c437e904_c.jpg

He is about the same height as Starscream, a bit taller than Soundwave and Shockwave, and also a bit taller than Prime. The detail is really amazing, especially all the little nods to his G1 form, like if you remove a faceplate you see his matrix/grid style face like you saw in the animated movie when Unicron was scanning him to become Galvatron. The battle damaged face and chest are really nice, as well as the grinning face plate. Another cool touch is with the arm cannon. If you add two LR44 batteries you can press a button it and make cartoon accurate sound effects, and I believe there are three modes to choose from, but I am not sure as I did not get the batteries yet.

If you have the means to get this from Amazon Japan, or amiami, I would highly recommend you do so, as it is definitely a must own.

Pros:

- Excellent Mold
- plethora of accessories
- Most posable of all the MP figures.
- Excellent weight (not to flimsy or light)

Cons:

- Insanely difficult transformation, especially if you are not fluent with Japanese to read the instructions (find a youtube vid. Thats what I did).
- When transformed into alt-mode, there are way to many lines (what I mean by that is if you look at the pic above, you see every section of the gun is broken into sections by lines, and it kind of detracts from the overall beauty).

Final Grade: A-

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I really want to get the MP36 Megatron, but I've heard that he's already getting expensive. Is that true? What was his suggested retail price? He's $230 on BBTS right now on pre-order. Have I missed the boat or is this what he always costed?

That's the standard import price, but according to people trying to find one in Asia, he's basically gone already. Takara will undoubtedly do a second run (as well as a repaint in silver at some point later in the year), but expect secondary market prices to spike soon.

This has been floating around in response to the situation.

BNFN9SJh.jpg

1upsuper

That's the standard import price, but according to people trying to find one in Asia, he's basically gone already. Takara will undoubtedly do a second run (as well as a repaint in silver at some point later in the year), but expect secondary market prices to spike soon.

This has been floating around in response to the situation.

Ah, I see. But it looks like BBTS is still accepting pre-orders. If I ordered one now, would it not end up fulfilled?

1upsuper

BBTS are usually pretty good about these things so if you really want it now and live in the US go for it.

Awesome, I think I will. I collect TFs for crazy transformations and G1 Megs is my favorite Transformer, so this one definitely seems to fit the bill. MP05 is currently my favorite TF. :p

Top Bottom