• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

NEO0MJ

Yeah if BBTS says they still have some, I believe them. I've never known them to cancel preorders at the last minute.

Heck, they honored my original Ex Gokin Shin Getter preorder price even though the price jumped more than $100.

Is there a reason why they're one of the few who still don't offer free domestic shipping?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If there is, I don't know it. I usually just let my PoL build to obscene levels before shipping it to save on the shipping costs.

aparisi2274

Another Masterpiece is on display! So I had MP-20 WheelJack for about a year now, and had him sitting in the box and decided I would finally put him on display.

MP WheelJack is an excellent representation of his G1 self, and is one of the easier MP's to actually transform (unlinke MP-36 Megatron, see my previous post for more on that.). He stands around the same height as Sideswipe and is a bit smaller than Hot Rod.

Pros:

- Excellent G1 representation
- Super easy to Transform

Cons:

- Not as posable as newer MP figures

Final Grade: B+

33032883083_5e37566c65_c.jpg

33461890140_c5f9c4d0ff_c.jpg

33805342756_2afda88ee7_c.jpg

33462185210_f0a28bc7d0_c.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Doesn't really matter. The look of the figure and the associated price is more important.

As someone who is keeping his Despotron even after Takara Megs arrives, the Takara figure's look is 1000% more fitting with MP-10's. Takara Megatron is straight up the cartoon character, just like MP-10's Prime. Despotron, awesome as he looks, is more of a melding of the Dreamwave and IDW Megatron designs.

Price is pretty crazy though, got to agree there.

Tizoc

It's kind of funny that he went from looking like a Spawn villain to looking like an anime bishonen villain.

Strongarm is the only figure I own from RiD, so I would be all for that. I like her design a lot (can't comment on much more as I don't watch RiD).
I am ok with bishi villains long as they arr written well :p

Got

Banned
As someone who is keeping his Despotron even after Takara Megs arrives, the Takara figure's look is 1000% more fitting with MP-10's. Takara Megatron is straight up the cartoon character, just like MP-10's Prime. Despotron, awesome as he looks, is more of a melding of the Dreamwave and IDW Megatron designs.

Price is pretty crazy though, got to agree there.

nah Despotron fits more.

I am ok with bishi villains long as they arr written well :p

Oh, for sure. A bishonen villain can be pretty cool and/or scary if played right: Sephiroth, Shogo Makishima from Psycho Pass, Albedo from Xenosaga, Vergil from DMC, Darcia from Wolf's Rain, Vega from Street Fighter...

And I just realized white hair seems to be a prerequisite in most cases. :D

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
nah Despotron fits more.

He doesn't. MP-10 is a very accurate representation of Prime from the G1 cartoon. MP-36 is the equivalent for Megatron. G1 Megatron never looked like Despotron in color or aesthetic. Despotron is easily the best-looking third party Megatron, and I actually prefer his overall look to MP-36's, but he's not part of the G1 cartoon aesthetic the MP line has gone for since the MP-10 soft reboot.

Despotron certainly isn't getting sold off from my collection, but he won't be on the MP shelf anymore. He may become a desk guardian. Which arguably is better since that means he'll get posed and transformed more often.

Tizoc

So about Lost Light #4,
what did the group discover inside the Vault to Vector Sigma?
My guesses-
Megatron, because they need his evil back
Liege Maximo
A Point 1 percenter
Lots and lots of Rungs
Quintessons
Something Unicron related

Oh, for sure. A bishonen villain can be pretty cool and/or scary if played right: Sephiroth, Shogo Makishima from Psycho Pass, Albedo from Xenosaga, Vergil from DMC, Darcia from Wolf's Rain, Vega from Street Fighter...

And I just realized white hair seems to be a prerequisite in most cases. :D

So about Lost Light #4,
what did the group discover inside the Vault to Vector Sigma?
My guesses-
Megatron, because they need his evil back
Liege Maximo
A Point 1 percenter
Lots and lots of Rungs
Quintessons
Something Unicron related

My guesses in order of more to less likely:
- Something we don't expect.
- Another Rung or, indeed as per the cover for one of the next issues I believe (I wish they stopped showing them months in advance) lots of Rungs.
- The whole council (minus 9 of 12 obviously). Either armed to the teeth or combined into something terryfying.
- Dio Brando.
- Thor the Dark World.

Also I don't read or watch Berserk but Griffith seems to be such a beloved fellow indeed around those circles (and yeah, I know why).

Yup. I need Megatron. Since they're reissuing the tapes now, I also went and preordered Frenzy/Buzzsaw, so I'll be getting them all from Amiami in a few weeks.

Never was a huge Megatron fan but his IDW portrayal and of course this amazing figure make him much more essential.

This is still a pile of loot, sort of, right? I haven't paid for Megs yet but I'm assuming they're holding everything (I chose combined monthly shipping in case something else shows up before Frenzy) for me?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You guys are kinda sorta maybe making me regret not ordering this ��

He's easily top 3 MPs ever. Every once in a while Takara just steps up and shows the third parties how it's done (Inferno, Magnus, Ironhide), and Megs 2.0 is possibly their biggest mic drop of all time.

NEO0MJ

He's easily top 3 MPs ever. Every once in a while Takara just steps up and shows the third parties how it's done (Inferno, Magnus, Ironhide), and Megs 2.0 is possibly their biggest mic drop of all time.

But he's so expensive now :(
Also, I have to get rid of my old MP Megatron if I get him and that's difficult where I live. Plus I was planning on getting MMC's not-IDW Megatron and there's no need for two version of the same character.

Also, I have to get rid of my old MP Megatron if I get him and that's difficult where I live. Plus I was planning on getting MMC's not-IDW Megatron and there's no need for two version of the same character.

On the plus side, you don't have to buy a third-party figure.

Aske

Seems like a straight choice between G1 and IDW style. It's awesome to have the options, and it's not like Takara's Megatron won't get a reissue if you want to wait for a cheaper price.

aparisi2274

This is very true! I had the original Megs, hate it. I picked up the X-Transbots Apollyon to fill the void of not having a proper MP Megatron, and then I went and picked up MP-36, because as good as Apollyon was, this was lightyears better. I wish all their MP's lived up to this standard.

Get rid of it, if you can, and absolutely pick up Megs 2.0. Its absolutely worth the money.

3JORN

Well my MP 36 arrvied and I couldn't be happier! He is a vast improvement over my Apollyon in every way and despite what some would say, he fits in my collection very well! Here's a comparison pic I took, please excuse the brush and the tissue box :p

Very happy with my collection now, been at it for 3 years and I guess I'd need another detolf too since Inferno and Grapple are just hanging outside my room with my SOC Voltron.

6DD82EA2-8584-4E76-9261-5B6C2F31F376.jpg

IMG_037219eb5.jpg

IMG_0371db7e7.jpg

boxes are a pain but I don't really want to throw them away :(

NEO0MJ

On the plus side, you don't have to buy a third-party figure.

Like Aske said, both cover a different niche. I love MTMTE Megs so much that it's a Difficult choice, even though I'm sure Takara's offering is a far better toy.

Get rid of it, if you can, and absolutely pick up Megs 2.0. Its absolutely worth the money.

I live in the Middle East, so that's difficult. Plus with the original going for around $30 open and $70 new it's a hard sell when you factor in International shipping.

Well my MP 36 arrvied and I couldn't be happier! He is a vast improvement over my Apollyon in every way and despite what some would say, he fits in my collection very well! Here's a comparison pic I took, please excuse the brush and the tissue box :p

That's ok, I'd fap to it, too!
ولد البلد؟

3JORN

Like Aske said, both cover a different niche. I love MTMTE Megs so much that it's a Difficult choice, even though I'm sure Takara's offering is a far better toy.

I live in the Middle East, so that's difficult. Plus with the original going for around $30 open and $70 new it's a hard sell when you factor in International shipping.

That's ok, I'd fap to it, too!
ولد البلد؟

I live in Dubai and shipping to here I feel, is really not that bad especially since customs guys are very lenient. I order through Amiami, HLJ or robotoybase.com (formerly chimungmung.com).

NEO0MJ

I live in Dubai and shipping to here I feel, is really not that bad especially since customs guys are very lenient. I order through Amiami, HLJ or robotoybase.com (formerly chimungmung.com).

Shipping to the country itself is not that bad, but shipping out is the problem. I once wanted to sell some old video games and when I asked a few shipping agencies it was going to cost like $25 if I wanted to ship two cases to the UAE.

Aske

These guys seem to be the best in terms of price/performance for people outside the US. As a Canadian, I've had good experiences with them, and I hear they're good if things go wrong.

mrkgoo

I'm in the Taiwan and Japan regions for a while
and am a bit disappointed in the transformers selection. I was hoping to see some cool exclusives or at cheap prices but prices are about the same as where I'm from and in Taiwan a lot of them are Hasbro and I can get where I come from.

Granted, I can only really easily visit some of the bigger toy chains so that could be my problem. Any recommendations for more takara tomy stuff in Taiwan (my time in Japan has unfortunately come and gone)?

1upsuper

So I got to open up MP36 tonight and play around with him. The first transformation to gun mode took me about an hour, but I was moving slowly and had to redo some parts here and there. Some parts are a bit hard on the hands, and there's one part in particular that requires you to pull down on both legs to untab two pelvis pieces which is very difficult, and feels kinda scary. Also, the transformation will inevitably result in some scuff marks and dings here and there. I was quite careful but I got some too. The tab part of the trigger guard in particular got beat up. I'm not really sure how that happened, but looking at some YT videos it seems like a common occurence. I'm usually quite anal about condition of my figures, but I buy TFs first and foremost to transform them, so I just gotta take it in stride.

The transformation on the whole is very good. It's rewarding, complex, and some parts are very impressive - particularly the legs.

Megatron himself looks good, but I've never watched the G1 cartoon nor owned the original toys, so I can only say he looks cool. Lots of accessories as well, which I will most certainly never take out of their box.

This could be my new favorite TF ever. I need to transform him some more before saying for sure though. And I think now that I've transformed him once it'll probably be less difficult and damaging during subsequent transformations.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
there's one part in particular that requires you to pull down on both legs to untab two pelvis pieces which is very difficult, and feels kinda scary.

Consensus seems to be that a screw on his butt is overtightened, and that's what causes this. Lift up the black flaps and give that screw a quarter turn to loosen it, and the pelvis should be much less scary to transform.

The silencer attachment is also responsible for a lot of paint chipping and scuffing on the diecast barrel, and a few people have had it snap the barrel completely off when trying to remove the attachment, so be careful there.

Disappointing for such a pricey figure, but I was never going to display him in gun mode, anyway.

1upsuper

Consensus seems to be that a screw on his butt is overtightened, and that's what causes this. Lift up the black flaps and give that screw a quarter turn to loosen it, and the pelvis should be much less scary to transform.

The silencer attachment is also responsible for a lot of paint chipping and scuffing on the diecast barrel, and a few people have had it snap the barrel completely off when trying to remove the attachment, so be careful there.

Disappointing for such a pricey figure, but I was never going to display him in gun mode, anyway.

Thank you for the tips. I'll definitely loosen that screw a touch. That should eliminate my biggest concern.

1upsuper

Loosening that screw a bit did help. I actually find squeezing his pelvis to be a much easier method of pulling those joins out, but I suppose there is a risk of paint damage if you do it that way.

For old times' sake, I got out my MP05G and transformed him out of gun mode. There's no doubt that MP05's gun mode is vastly superior to MP36's. There's no contest. Aside from one part on top that just doesn't want to tab in properly, MP05's gun mode is amazing. Robot mode is a different story, haha. You can't play with MP-05. At all. MP36, on the other hand, actually feels like a nice toy in robot mode. I also forgot what a mess MP05's legs are in robot mode. I like the transformation process of the legs, but the finished product leaves a lot to be desired, and a few bits just don't like to stay tabbed in properly. MP36's leg transformation might be the pinnacle of Transformers transformations though. That's a stunning process. I love it so much.

At the end of the day, I think both bots do things better than the other. I still really like the floppiness of MP05's transformation, which is reminiscent of the original toy's transformation. I really like how everything swings around. You don't get that with MP36, where every part of his body feels very distinct and separate from everything else. I like how MP05 looks as a bot, but as someone who likes to fiddle around with the toys, MP05 is basically untouchable in bot mode, though I still find his transformation very fun.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
MP-05 gets a lot of shit from the fandom, but it was pretty impressive for its time. It's one of their worst MPs in the long run, but I appreciate it for what it is, rusty feet and all. And MP-09 is still worse, so suck it, Rodimus.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I've actually never seen MP-09 in Space Winnebago mode in person, as I don't want to scrape the paint off the car's spoiler. It's both an astoundingly terrible design and kind of an impressive level of "just go for it." Overall I think it's a pretty bad toy, though. Fucker can't even reliably hold his damn gun.

NEO0MJ

MP-05 gets a lot of shit from the fandom, but it was pretty impressive for its time. It's one of their worst MPs in the long run, but I appreciate it for what it is, rusty feet and all. And MP-09 is still worse, so suck it, Rodimus.

Plus, I think they did a better job with the the abdominal area in comparison to the new one.

Speaking of, when do you think we'll get new stock of it sans orange plug?

Plus, I think they did a better job with the the abdominal area in comparison to the new one.

Speaking of, when do you think we'll get new stock of it sans orange plug?

Whenever there is a re-run and from a Chinese distributor. They where the ones who mainly didn't cap because the toy wasn't being shipped in gun mode.

Beth Cyra

Heads up for those interested, there's an upcoming reissue for Perfect Effect Leonidas. This one comes in a metallic paint job with a new sword.
I almost pulled the trigger last time as I think Leo Prime is the only good animal Optimus...but decided not to as Nemisis color scheme looked so good.

Really wish there was a Ultra Magnus color variant.

Tizoc

Text previews of Issues 5-8 of Lost Light are up.
Seems we're gonna see more world building? Mainly in the sense of ther est of the universe.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
A voice-change mask promo video confirms that Frank Welker will be voicing Megatron in The Last Knight, marking the first time in 31 years that Peter Cullen and Welker have voiced Prime and Megatron opposite each other on the big screen. So thanks to Hugo Weaving for pissing Michael Bay off back in 2012, I guess.

Aske

A voice-change mask promo video confirms that Frank Welker will be voicing Megatron in The Last Knight, marking the first time in 31 years that Peter Cullen and Welker have voiced Prime and Megatron opposite each other on the big screen. So thanks to Hugo Weaving for pissing Michael Bay off back in 2012, I guess.

GTFO. I might actually watch this at the theatre now. ...I won't. But I'll be more enthusiastic about watching it on Netflix! Frank Welker is the best. Hope he's getting a nice, fat paycheck for this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Welker has done voices throughout the series, and was also the voice of Galvatron in the last movie, but obviously that's not Megatron. Well, it was, but he was called Galvatron. Presumably he has changed his name to Megatron in this one. At any rate, Cullen Prime and Welker Megatron, together again.

Edit: Here's the video

Top Bottom