• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Beth Cyra

Also, note that there is a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus if you're so inclined. An actual one, not a white Optimus.
Oh I've seen it I just prefer Twin Prime Ultra over G1 Armor Magnus. I honestly view "White Optimus" as equal a Magnus as the armor variant so both types are real MP Magni in my eyes :)

That said I do want to get Delta sometime.

It's not like you can avoid it :p
I think only the Nemesis version doesn't have it.

Same here, but it feels like such a fundamental thing for me. It's in the name!
Also, you really like your Magnus, lol. Is it just the color scheme or the character himself?

I do indeed.

It's a combo to be honest. I adore the white body and green highlights with the red eyes of Magnus and I have only ever seen one Prime version that looks better in Prime colors.

I also fucking adore Magnus in the dream wave universe, he is so powerful he maybe above Prime and Megatron but his self doubt and fear of failure cripple him and he hides in the armor as much as he gets a boost from it.

Easily one of the strongest Transformer arcs in my eyes and it's so brilliant because he is Prime's twin brother.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What do you mean? The trailer comes with the figure. It's the original MP-01 which didn't come with a trailer and had to be bought separately.

He's talking about an oversized knock off that doesn't come with the trailer, which is called MPP-10. Because they're totally not trying to confuse anyone or take sales away from Takara.

NEO0MJ

I also fucking adore Magnus in the dream wave universe, he is so powerful he maybe above Prime and Megatron but his self doubt and fear of failure cripple him and he hides in the armor as much as he gets a boost from it.

Easily one of the strongest Transformer arcs in my eyes and it's so brilliant because he is Prime's twin brother.

It's funny how that storyline only came about thanks to the toy, and some people complained about it at the time. Then when IDW redid that idea but instead made him a small car and someone else's brother, people complained that he wasn't a white Prime.

He's talking about an oversized knock off that doesn't come with the trailer, which is called MPP-10. Because they're totally not trying to confuse anyone or take sales away from Takara.

Ohhh~. I thought the extra P was like a typo and it confused me a lot.

Beth Cyra

It's funny how that storyline only came about thanks to the toy, and some people complained about it at the time. Then when IDW redid that idea but instead made him a small car and someone else's brother, people complained that he wasn't a white Prime.

Ohhh~. I thought the extra P was like a typo and it confused me a lot.
lol I was one of those who hate the IDW version that said I never had a problem with it originally obviously lol.

To me it was RiD Magnus but done the right way and I adored it.

NEO0MJ

lol I was one of those who hate the IDW version that said I never had a problem with it originally obviously lol.

To me it was RiD Magnus but done the right way and I adored it.

I think another reason people hated it was that they didn't like the idea of Magnus being a thing that was passed along like a title, though from my point of view I saw it no different than inherting the title of Prime, only more covert. You still needed to have the right qualities and personality to be a Magnus.
Plus Minimus still shared a lot of things with Dreamwave's Magnus but were expanded upon, considering that the DW series was discontinued shortly after that reveal if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if it was Roberts or Hasbro who pushed for the change.

Beth Cyra

I think another reason people hated it was that they didn't like the idea of Magnus being a thing that was passed along like a title, though from my point of view I saw it no different than inherting the title of Prime, only more covert. You still needed to have the right qualities and personality to be a Magnus.
Plus Minimus still shared a lot of things with Dreamwave's Magnus but were expanded upon, considering that the DW series was discontinued shortly after that reveal if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken at all, it went under nearly right after the big reveal.

I think my two biggest problems with IDW is that having Magnus be Prime's brother hiding in the armor gave it so much more weight to his character flaws because no matter how they wrote Minimus and Dominis and the Magni line they would never have the cache to really drive home just how much pressure Magnus would be under to live up to Prime in universe but also to us as readers.

Second Prime for many Transformers fan view Him as the end all be all so to have Magnus have that as his wall to climb gave it a since of almost hopelessness and even more so when that Version of Prime talks about how Magnus has no weakness and nearly no equals should he some how get over it.

Now while I love the concepts and setup of Dreamwave Magnus I won't say he is overall a better written character then IDW Magnus but the decision to spin him off in Minimus lost me, but I do love the idea of it being a line just like the Prime's as that could have been an excellent addition to the Dreamwave and how Magnus got the armor.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The IDW take on Magnus is good, but it's not as conceptually satisfying as seeing white Magnus bust out of the red and blue armor in the DW comic, just because it was one of the things I think a lot of fans had always wanted to see but didn't know they wanted it until it happened.

Of course, white Prime Magnus fans have the Holy Grail coming up in the form of Ultimetal Ultra Magnus, which doesn't transform but is fucking gigantic and does in fact come with full red and blue armor that can be applied to the inner robot. Yours for a mere $1100.

tvjUBjl.jpg

MtQgWif.jpg

Beth Cyra

The IDW take on Magnus is good, but it's not as conceptually satisfying as seeing white Magnus bust out of the red and blue armor in the DW comic, just because it was one of the things I think a lot of fans had always wanted to see but didn't know they wanted it until it happened.

Of course, white Prime Magnus fans have the Holy Grail coming up in the form of Ultimetal Ultra Magnus, which doesn't transform but is fucking gigantic and does in fact come with full red and blue armor that can be applied to the inner robot. Yours for a mere $1100.

tvjUBjl.jpg

MtQgWif.jpg
This is my holy grail item bar none.

I am not rich and have a family to feed with a pretty mediocre job but I hope one day to at least see this thing in person I'd not save up for a used one, no other figure or collectible calls to me like this Magnus.

Aske

I've never been so relieved to not care about Ultra Magnus. I would be fudged so hard if Ultimetal released a Galvatron. I'd hate myself for buying it, and I'd hate myself for not buying it.

Beth Cyra

I've never been so relieved to not care about Ultra Magnus. I would be fudged so hard if Ultimetal released a Galvatron. I'd hate myself for buying it, and I'd hate myself for not buying it.
Lol this is so me right now.

I showed my wife and her sticker shock was so strong she just said no and ended the convo.

Aske

Lol this is so me right now.

I showed my wife and her sticker shock was so strong she just said no and ended the convo.

Time to bust out your PowerPoint skills and play a little domestic Shark Tank. "I'm looking to spend $1000 in exchange for 50% ownership. The value of the investment is expected to quadruple over the next ten years, as you can see from the red arrow I have drawn on this graph."

Beth Cyra

Time to bust out your PowerPoint skills and play a little domestic Shark Tank. "I'm looking to spend $1000 in exchange for 50% ownership. The value of the investment is expected to quadruple over the next ten years, as you can see from the red arrow I have drawn on this graph."
Lol no lie I just read this post to my wife and am still trying to convince her, she laughed said Omg NO.

Lost Light 5 spoilers, I don't want to toot my own horn, but:
My guesses in order of more to less likely:
- Something we don't expect.
- Another Rung or, indeed as per the cover for one of the next issues I believe (I wish they stopped showing them months in advance) lots of Rungs.
- The whole council (minus 9 of 12 obviously). Either armed to the teeth or combined into something terryfying.
- Dio Brando.
- Thor the Dark World.

And while we're on the "good call" acknowledgements:
and I'm infuriated that it seems to be true that Lug is just a hallucination.

Edit:
The wiki assumes this means Lug is dead, but there's no reason to assume that: her not being in the missing memorial might just as well mean she never died or went missing in the first place

Tizoc

Lost Light #5
So Rung and his lookalikes/knockoffs create crystals. He's basically a crystal creating machine.
As for Megs
I swear if this isn't one setup to bring back Evil Megs, then IDW aren't being subtle enough :V

It seems they're hinting that Megs might rebel and try to stay on Cybertron 2?
Plus there was a future cover
only showing Megatron in a style kinda reminiscent of All Hail Megatron

I wouldn't consider Megs staying behind to help free Cybertron from the functionists "Evil Megs"... :/

NEO0MJ

I wouldn't consider Megs staying behind to help free Cybertron from the functionists "Evil Megs"... :/

Because it comes off as him trying to escape his crimes. The whole point of this quest, the only reason he was allowed to leave Cybertron, is so that he could stand trial in front of the Knights. And like Prime said people wouldn't have minded grounding Megatron while Rodimus went searching so him escaping would show that he doesn't care.

Tizoc

No what i meant was
if Megs decides to stay in Functionist-ruled Cybertron, IDW can use this to bring back ye olde Evil Megatron via time travel shenanigans or some shit
That's kinda what I meant :x

caliph95

No what i meant was
if Megs decides to stay in Functionist-ruled Cybertron, IDW can use this to bring back ye olde Evil Megatron via time travel shenanigans or some shit
I would hate it if they did that
Good Megatron is best megatron, also have their ever mention what happened or alluded to megatron of this universe

Because it comes off as him trying to escape his crimes. The whole point of this quest, the only reason he was allowed to leave Cybertron, is so that he could stand trial in front of the Knights. And like Prime said people wouldn't have minded grounding Megatron while Rodimus went searching so him escaping would show that he doesn't care.

"Escaping" would show that he cares more about saving the lives of the Functionist universe Cybertronians than facing some nebulous retribution that will not make things better for anyone, least of all the dead. That is not the "evil" choice; that's the "rational" choice.

Leave it to Roberts to create a divisive moral choice to cap off the morally divisive issue of
Megatron's redemption
, but as an utilitarian I firmly believe this is the correct choice, unless you think
Megatron should not be offered the chance of redemption at all
. Which is also a valid stance, but then why would that change if
they found those Knights of Cybertron and they just said "we absolve you of your sins, child"? They might have the legal authority, but without knowing the first thing about them, what gives them the moral authority to make that choice?

No what i meant was

Still confused,
where would this hypothetic evil Megatron come from? As NEO0MJ pointed out, this universe's Megatron is long dead (stillborn, in fact; he never lived)

I think it's absolutely hilarious that Rodimus Prime fucks off mid series to supposedly find everybody a new planet to live on and never ever comes back. Also, the writing in this series almost makes the original three seasons look like pure gold. What a weird show lol.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that Rodimus Prime fucks off mid series to supposedly find everybody a new planet to live on and never ever comes back. Also, the writing in this series almost makes the original three seasons look like pure gold. What a weird show lol.

Eh, the writing in the first 3 seasons was just as bad if not worse, Headmasters at least had an ongoing story and not random hijinks. Season 3 of the show already had Rodimus Prime be useless, Ultra Magnus was always the one on the ground leading the fight and kicking ass, while Rodimus was being off screen. Headmasters just wrote him out in a hysterical way, no one wants you Rodimus.

Now Masterforce, that is gonna give you a headache if you thought Headmasters was weird.

Eh, the writing in the first 3 seasons was just as bad if not worse, Headmasters at least had an ongoing story and not random hijinks. Season 3 of the show already had Rodimus Prime be useless, Ultra Magnus was always the one on the ground leading the fight and kicking ass, while Rodimus was being off screen. Headmasters just wrote him out in a hysterical way, no one wants you Rodimus.

Now Masterforce, that is gonna give you a headache if you thought Headmasters was weird.

Oh I'm not saying Seasons 1-3 were actually great, but I dunno that Headmasters ongoing story saves it at all. I mean, it's all so idiotic. Heck the ending has Scorponok running from Earth, thinking he's succeed in blowing it up, but then the heroes save it and decide to head off into space forever to hunt down the Decepticons because Peace is all the Earth will have now??????? I mean-- wouldn't old Scorpy still want all that awesome plasma energy? Nevermind Sixshot's random as hell developing a conscious all because he talked to Daniel for twenty minutes.
You'd think that would just make you even more homicidal.

I agree Headmasters method for getting rid of Rodimus is hilarious though. I kept expecting him to come back at some point, maybe even close out the series with a "hey guys I foundz a new planet" but then I hit the final two parter and realized-- Oh. Oh no. No he doesn't come back. He's just gone. And no one cares.

Thanks for the heads up on Masterforce lol. The wikipedia and Shout Factory DVDs claim these are much beloved and critically lauded series, but I had serious doubts about that. I actually have that one on DVD already, but I'll be taking a break first with a few Gundam shows before diving into that one.

Beth Cyra

Headmasters was one of those so bad it's good things.

The deaths were all super terrible and it also partially gave birth to the Magnus is a White Prime when
Magnus does and for some reason the Armor never turns grey and he stays fully colored despite tons of other bots dying in the series and all of them losing their phase shift armor.
so i can't bring myself to hate it.

Headmasters was one of those so bad it's good things.

The deaths were all super terrible and it also partially gave birth to the Magnus is a White Prime when
Magnus does and for some reason the Armor never turns grey and he stays fully colored despite tons of other bots dying in the series and all of them losing their phase shift armor.
so i can't bring myself to hate it.

I think I agree. I'm glad I watched it, but at the same time I probably won't watch it again. But it was a ton of fun seeing how stupid it could get each episode. If I wasn't so busy with other projects I kinda wish I could do an abridged type dub for it. I feel like there's so much potential just in the way the show progresses all by itself.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Newest MP unveiled and frankly I am stunned. I never thought we'd see an official MP of Sunstreaker due to him being a modified Countach that never existed. Very cool.

0lHadBH.jpg

qMyDXRd.jpg

mL1VLmp.jpg

jhi3Zw1.jpg

uJcyZ7J.jpg

caliph95

Was MTME partially inspired by that

Also Headmasters sounds Amazing even more so than the first cartoon (not in a good way) but my first Transformers at leat regularly was the one where Optimus had an brooding "cool" brother and megatron was galvatron or whatever the dragon guy was so what do i know
Transformers Headmasters Funniest Dumbest Moments Part 1
Transformers Headmasters Funniest Dumbest Moments Part 2

I swear i can't tell wheter some of those voice acting were real or the youtuber dubbing it

Newest MP unveiled and frankly I am stunned. I never thought we'd see an official MP of Sunstreaker due to him being a modified Countach that never existed. Very cool.

0lHadBH.jpg

qMyDXRd.jpg

mL1VLmp.jpg

jhi3Zw1.jpg

uJcyZ7J.jpg

YES! Sunstreaker is a favourite, mostly because I picked up the re-release in 1990 or so. I don't care too much about Sideswipe, but I may have to get him too now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Was MTME partially inspired by that

Also Headmasters sounds Amazing even more so than the first cartoon (not in a good way) but my first Transformers at leat regularly was the one where Optimus had an brooding "cool" brother and megatron was galvatron or whatever the dragon guy was so what do i know
Transformers Headmasters Funniest Dumbest Moments Part 1
Transformers Headmasters Funniest Dumbest Moments Part 2

I swear i can't tell wheter some of those voice acting were real or the youtuber dubbing it

They're all real. That's the infamous Malaysian English dub of Headmasters, in which Spike is Sparkle, Blaster is Billy, and Fortress Maximus is Spaceship Bruce.

That Youtuber is arguably worse than anything in the dub, though.

They're all real. That's the infamous Malaysian English dub of Headmasters, in which Spike is Sparkle, Blaster is Billy, and Fortress Maximus is Spaceship Bruce.

That Youtuber is arguably worse than anything in the dub, though.

I find it particularly jarring that a lot of his complaints come from the dub. I'm sure the original Japanese version has plenty to criticise, but lumping it together with a bad dub seems unfair. But then of course how would he film an hour worth of complaining?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finally got a G1 Megatron and Optimus Prime. Megatron is a Japnese reissue (seeing it in gun mode I know why it isn't sold in the US any more lol), Prime is US reissue.

NEO0MJ

I always wonder why out of all of Takara's toys they decided to make the one that turned into a gun the leader of the bad guys. I know fan theories popped up but I want to know what the people who helmed the project thought.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I believe Budiansky has said that he picked Megatron as the leader of the bad guys because he's the one who turned into a lethal weapon. Hasbro balked at the name "Megatron" originally because they thought it sounded too much like "megaton" and would make people think of nuclear war. Budiansky pointed out that yeah, that's the point, he's the main bad guy and is supposed to be scary, and Hasbro ended up agreeing.

Top Bottom