• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It would never occur to me to describe that way in person. The only shortcomings it has to me are the weird leg construction in combined mode (the sideways tanks make for awkward knees), limited arm and shoulder articulation for the two tankbots in their robot modes, and Cerberus/Jallguar's half-assed vehicle mode.

NEO0MJ

Just got my new MP Megatron. So much more solid than the previous offering and better proportioned. I doubt this will suffer from cosmic rust, either.

mrkgoo

I picked up Titans Return Topsin. Man what a fantastic toy. It pushes all the right buttons. The titans return line is generally on fire and what had me rebutting transformers toys.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Of possible interest to Beth Cyra, Perfect Effect's white Magnus replacement cab for the Leader figure is up for order.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=PFT10064&mode=retail

f0k6RHX.jpg

U7byjS5.jpg

Gm2UpPO.jpg

Obviously he fits in the armor in folded up cab mode, not robot mode, but it's a pretty nice rendition of the character.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Presumably the stacks being where they are is a nod to the hinges on the original toy, but it's an odd choice.

P8310247.JPG

Obviously he fits in the armor in folded up cab mode, not robot mode, but it's a pretty nice rendition of the character.

I'm frankly astounded he fits in the armor at all, that's some crazy high level engineering. And for a third party product, $60 is pretty amazing.

Front hinged smokestacks do look a bit odd. I don't think it's an homage as much as a result of the same engineering choice of having the cab's windows actually on the back of the robot, indeed like PM Prime / Ginrai.

So just started reading MTMTE and RiD with the subscription plan from Comixology.

Why didn't I start sooner :0

I also finally ready Last Stand of the Wreckers. Lordi!

Tizoc

So I'm watching the latest season of Robots in Disguise, and what's up with Strongarm and Sideswipe still getting on each other's nerves?
You'd think this'd be cleared up a season ago.

Also the milky color palette that Sideswipe can camo into is ugly, why are they even still using it?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Takara teased a new set of MP cassette repaints and one of them is pretty obviously a premold of Steeljaw, so I'd say an MP Blaster will be announced soon.

z1MwFUU.png

Mindwipe

Takara teased a new set of MP cassette repaints and one of them is pretty obviously a premold of Steeljaw, so I'd say an MP Blaster will be announced soon.

z1MwFUU.png

There was a leak from a Chinese forum last week that the next four MPs were Blaster, a pack of cassettes (which might be this), Trailbreaker and Twincast. I'd say that's pretty nailed on now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There was a leak from a Chinese forum last week that the next four MPs were Blaster, a pack of cassettes (which might be this), Trailbreaker and Twincast. I'd say that's pretty nailed on now.

This pack is a retailer exclusive of four repaints: Enemy (Rumble mold), Wingthing (Ratbat mold), Stripes (Ravage mold), and Nightstalker (Steeljaw mold). So that pack of cassettes from the Chinese forum leak is almost certainly new molds (Rewind & Ramhorn?) while Steeljaw will come with Blaster.

Oh damn. Blaster is a must. If the cassettes are just repaints, I can live without them. Probably also skipping Trailbreaker but very excited for the inevitable Hoist.

Since Sunstreaker is december, we're talking first half of 2018 for these, right?

Wark

So I've read a little bit of the start of the IDW run of the Transformers comics a couple years back, along with a couple other IDW trades -- like the origin stories and smaller runs -- but I've never gotten TOO far into it. While I DO want to restart reading the IDW continuity and continue on with the story eventually, I was wondering if it was okay if I started reading Lost Light without reading too far into any of the IDW TF comics? Is my knowledge from watching the G1 cartoon series and movie enough to enjoy Lost Light without getting too confused?

Right now I'm reading The Last Stand of the Wreckers and I'm enjoying it. Overlord is pretty brutal.

EDIT: If I shouldn't start with Lost Light, then what would be a good entry point? If I really have to, I will start at the beginning of the IDW run. There just seems to be so much good shit in these IDW TF comics, but I just had the urge to start reading Lost Light. Anyone have any suggested reading orders for the comics?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So I've read a little bit of the start of the IDW run of the Transformers comics a couple years back, along with a couple other IDW trades -- like the origin stories and smaller runs -- but I've never gotten TOO far into it. While I DO want to restart reading the IDW continuity and continue on with the story eventually, I was wondering if it was okay if I started reading Lost Light without reading too far into any of the IDW TF comics? Is my knowledge from watching the G1 cartoon series and movie enough to enjoy Lost Light without getting too confused?

Right now I'm reading The Last Stand of the Wreckers and I'm enjoying it. Overlord is pretty brutal.

I think you should definitely read at least More than Meets the Eye before reading Lost Light. You'll probably be really confused without it. It just introduces so much stuff that Lost Light builds upon.

Tizoc posted a thread a while back with a good reading order if you want to get into MtMtE/Lost Light.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh damn. Blaster is a must. If the cassettes are just repaints, I can live without them. Probably also skipping Trailbreaker but very excited for the inevitable Hoist.

Since Sunstreaker is december, we're talking first half of 2018 for these, right?

Yes. Going by Takara's "once a month" schedule, all of 2017 is spoken for at this point.

Wark

I think you should definitely read at least More than Meets the Eye before reading Lost Light. You'll probably be really confused without it. It just introduces so much stuff that Lost Light builds upon.

Tizoc posted a thread a while back with a good reading order if you want to get into MtMtE/Lost Light.

I appreciate the reply! I'll definitely read More than Meets the Eye before starting Lost Light then. That thread you linked is pretty handy and I'll be looking over it before I run out to the store to grab some more trades.

From the looks of it, I've read a couple trades of More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise (along with some of those origin stories too). I'm more than willing to re-read material in order to refresh my memory though.

Thanks again!

1upsuper

Have there been any ridiculously complicated/overdesigned third party Transformers released in the last few months? MP-36 is my new gold standard but I'm itching for something new and crazy. I'm pretty caught up on the suggestions I got from you guys months ago.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Have there been any ridiculously complicated/overdesigned third party Transformers released in the last few months? MP-36 is my new gold standard but I'm itching for something new and crazy. I'm pretty caught up on the suggestions I got from you guys months ago.

There are three Masterpieces due out over the next few months in the Last Knight movie line that are insanely complex. They're all 2007 movie characters: Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, and (probably) Barricade.

None of them are out yet and unfortunately they're Toys R Us exclusives, but here's a video review of Bumblebee. They're not MP-36 but they're pretty intricate.

MTMTE is well worth re-reading as a general rule. Like all great comics, you discover new things every time.

This can't be overstated. MTMTE is the king of "you sly bastard" invisible foreshadowing. It seems Roberts isn't happy if he doesn't insert something with a hidden meaning per page at least. Some particular nuggets sent me positively reeling from the shock upon re-read, like
"Someday he'll be able to do it at a distance".

Man, MTMTE and Lost Light are so good. Just thinking about them makes my heart beat faster.

For some one who only reads MTME and sometimes the Windblade how is RID? is that good book to pick up. yeeess

It's the worse one of the three IMHO, and also very irregular in quality, but it's at least enjoyable for the most part. The politics stuff in Cybertron with Starscream before that was split into WIndblade and Till All Are One are probably the more interesting; I personally care little for the Earth stuff and puny humans.

Mindwipe

GCREATION's GDW-01 IDW Optimus might be worth looking up on YouTube. It's a really interesting puzzlebox of a toy.

Snaku

Banned
Looking into getting back into collecting TF, thing is I can't decide where to start. I'm really only interested in the higher end stuff, and I can't decide whether to go for a couple Masterpiece figures, or ThreeA's Premium Scale figures.

I know it probably sounds weird, but I really don't care if the figure can transform or not, as it'll spend 99.9% of the time on display in bot form. The Masterpiece line looks really nice, and with most of my favorite characters available to buy now or very soon (Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Movie Prime & Bee, etc) I could easily drop a grand on them and have most of what I could want.

Then there's the ThreeA figures, which are massive, incredibly detailed, and incredibly expensive. I could get 2-3 Masterpiece figures for every one ThreeA. But I can get a Movie Starscream (one of my favorites) for well bellow retail right now, and the three they've announced for the Last Knight (Prime, Bee, Sqweeks) are all must haves. And they would undoubtedly make for a much more impressive display than the MPs.

So yeah, perfect time for me to get into either of these lines, and I don't know what to do. :/

Looking into getting back into collecting TF, thing is I can't decide where to start. I'm really only interested in the higher end stuff, and I can't decide whether to go for a couple Masterpiece figures, or ThreeA's Premium Scale figures.

I know it probably sounds weird, but I really don't care if the figure can transform or not, as it'll spend 99.9% of the time on display in bot form. The Masterpiece line looks really nice, and with most of my favorite characters available to buy now or very soon (Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Movie Prime & Bee, etc) I could easily drop a grand on them and have most of what I could want.

Then there's the ThreeA figures, which are massive, incredibly detailed, and incredibly expensive. I could get 2-3 Masterpiece figures for every one ThreeA. But I can get a Movie Starscream (one of my favorites) for well bellow retail right now, and the three they've announced for the Last Knight (Prime, Bee, Sqweeks) are all must haves. And they would undoubtedly make for a much more impressive display than the MPs.

So yeah, perfect time for me to get into either of these lines, and I don't know what to do. :/

I'd never go for non-transforming Transformers, as a rule. Also, size is overrated. At one point, you will wish for smaller figures. If Masterpiece engineering was possible at half the size (and a lower price) I would happily take it.

1upsuper

There are three Masterpieces due out over the next few months in the Last Knight movie line that are insanely complex. They're all 2007 movie characters: Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, and (probably) Barricade.

None of them are out yet and unfortunately they're Toys R Us exclusives, but here's a video review of Bumblebee. They're not MP-36 but they're pretty intricate.

GCREATION's GDW-01 IDW Optimus might be worth looking up on YouTube. It's a really interesting puzzlebox of a toy.

Thank you both!

Snaku

Banned
I'd never go for non-transforming Transformers, as a rule. Also, size is overrated. At one point, you will wish for smaller figures. If Masterpiece engineering was possible at half the size (and a lower price) I would happily take it.

Yeah, thought it over for a couple days and went with Masterpiece. Ordered MP-10, MP-11, and MP-29 to start with, and put in preorders for MPM-03 & 04.

Yeah, thought it over for a couple days and went with Masterpiece. Ordered MP-10, MP-11, and MP-29 to start with, and put in preorders for MPM-03 & 04.
Those are all good picks, but I'll put in a good word for the 3A figures. I have Prime and Bumblebee and they both look fucking incredible. The MPM figures look like a lot of fun, and are definitely the best transforming versions of those designs to date, but they don't come close to the matching the majesty of their 3A counterparts.

Anyone here order MMC Calidus? Should have mine next week. Need all the MMC IDW goodness.
I think SXS-TOYS Hot Flame has MMC's Calidus beat. The bot mode proportions just look so much nicer to me.

Top Bottom