• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Beth Cyra

Leaked Japanese listings for TF4 toys. Couple of interesting entries there.

wPs7Ta2.jpg

Damn, looks like Magnus was snubbed again.

Sad they went with Galvatron. Never cared for Galvatron, though I do hope they go with the route that some of the Comics have gone and make it so Megatron and Galvatron are actually two different characters.

Beth Cyra

BTW TruePrime did you start TFP?

Trasformers Prime?

Yeah I did actually.

I still have my issues with it, however it does have some of it's upsides.

Got to say, it truly made me miss Armada. While Armada's story is woeful, the 2D animation is still beautiful. After Superlink, Galaxy Force, the hideous Animation, and now Prime we NEED a good hand drawn Transformers show.

You're defense of Prime though was warranted. I don't agree that the Kids in this are any less terrible then they've been since their reintroduction in RiD, but stuff like Ultra Magnus's intro easily made up for it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Damn, looks like Magnus was snubbed again.

Maybe next time. I have a feeling the next step in the Bayverse is cityformers, and Magnus' function of "City Commander" might be enough to finally get him in. On the plus side, I would expect some info on MP Magnus to be hitting within the next month or so.

Sad they went with Galvatron. Never cared for Galvatron, though I do hope they go with the route that some of the Comics have gone and make it so Megatron and Galvatron are actually two different characters.

I think Galvatron will be a whole new character in this, yeah. Originally Megatron was going to be called Galvatron after he was resurrected in Revenge of the Fallen, but it was decided that it would be too confusing for the audience. Not too confusing for 10 year olds in 1986, but too confusing for audiences that went to see RotF...yeah, okay, I'll concede that point.

Beth Cyra

Maybe next time. I have a feeling the next step in the Bayverse is cityformers, and Magnus' function of "City Commander" might be enough to finally get him in. On the plus side, I would expect some info on MP Magnus to be hitting within the next month or so.

I think Galvatron will be a whole new character in this, yeah. Originally Megatron was going to be called Galvatron after he was resurrected in Revenge of the Fallen, but it was decided that it would be too confusing for the audience. Not too confusing for 10 year olds in 1986, but too confusing for audiences that went to see RotF...yeah, okay, I'll concede that point.
Can't wait for the MP info.

I'm praying they give Magnus the Dreamwave White, Blue, and Green color scheme for the inner armor.

As for the City Commander, I really hope so. Though given early drafts of Sentinel called him Ultra Magnus so I wonder if they feel Ultra Magnus isn't worth it.

Mike M

Nick N
Originally Megatron was going to be called Galvatron after he was resurrected in Revenge of the Fallen, but it was decided that it would be too confusing for the audience. Not too confusing for 10 year olds in 1986, but too confusing for audiences that went to see RotF...yeah, okay, I'll concede that point.
Well to be fair, Galvatron '86 had a wildly different visual appearance than Megatron. The Bayformers aesthetic probably makes it hard to stake out a similar distinction.

They would have had to spend time making Transformers talk explaining it. Can't have that.

Well to be fair, Galvatron '86 had a wildly different visual appearance than Megatron. The Bayformers aesthetic probably makes it hard to stake out a similar distinction.

Yea, they were so visually different in the 86 movie. All the bayformer Megs look similar for the most part. I'm glad they didn't.

NEO0MJ

Plus Galvatron considered himself to be a separate character from Megatron in the movie, even though he was created from him.

Cheerilee

Plus Galvatron considered himself to be a separate character from Megatron in the movie, even though he was created from him.

I'm not sure about that. In Galvatron's first interaction with Starscream, he boldly strolls into Decepticon HQ, and casually insults Starscream. That was enough to make Starscream ask "Megatron? Is that you?" Galvatron says "Here's a hint" and kills him. Now the question is, is that a hint that he is Megatron, and that he's really pissed off at Starscream's latest assassination attempt, or is it a hint that he's not Megatron anymore, in so far as he's willing to kill Starscream over assassination attempts? We must also consider how inexpensive death has suddenly become in this world once the movie started. Or is there some other answer?

Of course, then Rumble avoids the puzzle by asking "What did he say his name was again?" Galvatron says "Galvatron", so that's what everyone calls him, because they don't want to die. But it's never made clear to the Decepticons what Galvatron's stance is on the "Megatron" thing.

And then when Galvatron faces Hot Rod, Galvatron says that he killed both Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. I think that says that Megatron and Galvatron were both the same character. Galvatron is Megatron with a new name, and a new form. Megatron didn't die in the creation of Galvatron.

IIRC, in season 3, Galvatron was afflicted with insanity in the first episode, and when they eventually tried to cure him of it, they said that he might revert to Megatron (who was still inside Galvatron), at which point Galvatron started resisting and screaming that becoming Megatron again meant death for him as Galvatron. That could be attributed to his insanity, or to character change from movie-to-season due to writer changes. Or maybe it was true, and being Galvatron means being the sum of his entire past, and reverting would mean losing something that had become vitally important to him.

Mike M

Nick N
I always took Galvatron to be a new entity with the memories of Megatron, but only in an abstract sense. Like how you might know the events and thoughts of a character in a book w/out actually being them.

Beth Cyra

I always go back and forth about the Megatron/Galvatron relationship from G1.

However I was thinking having them both be seperate characters that actually exist at the same time, even if it would be in a past tense for the movie verse.

I loved the UK Comics (I believe it was UK) that had Prime be Megatron's Rival and Magnus always battling Galvatron. I'm always hoping they revisit that but in real time. I had hoped we would eventually see that Magnus and Galvatron had stayed on Cybertron, for this series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
With the way the Bay movies borrow haphazardly from various TF continuities, who knows? Galvatron could be a wholly new Decepticon from outer space or he could be Unicron's herald or he could be dug up on Earth from the distant past or he could be from the Dead Universe...and the movie would of course feel no obligation to make any of those things fit in with any other element of the story. It really feels like Hasbro just sends Orci and Kurtzmann a box of magnetic TF continuity poetry and they just throw handfuls at the fridge until they end up with something resembling a plot.

Beth Cyra

With the way the Bay movies borrow haphazardly from various TF continuities, who knows? Galvatron could be a wholly new Decepticon from outer space or he could be Unicron's herald or he could be dug up on Earth from the distant past or he could be from the Dead Universe...and the movie would of course feel no obligation to make any of those things fit in with any other element of the story. It really feels like Hasbro just sends Orci and Kurtzmann a box of magnetic TF continuity poetry and they just throw handfuls at the fridge until they end up with something resembling a plot.

Can't argue with any of this.

I just pray someone holds the leash this time. An action scene lasting over an hour long was just to long. You're movies maybe shit Bay, but at least use a little bit of fucking pacing for the love of god.

Can anyone make a recommendation of what IDW stuff is actually worth reading? One of my friends basically said read everything by James Roberts and avoid Mike Costa. I just recently read Last Stand of the Wreckers which was awesome, and previously I've read Infiltration, Stormbringer and Escalation which were all pretty dull (though Don Figueroa's art is always a pleasure to look at). I'm moving straight onto MTMTE Volume 1, so hopefully I don't get too lost. If ya'll got any suggestions, preferably in TPB form, I'd love to hear em.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
As long as you've read LSotW, you have the foundation to jump into MTMTE TPB #1. That TPB starts with the one-shot The Death of Optimus Prime, which sets up the basics of the MTMTE and RiD ongoing series. If you really wanted to you could read the TPBs Chaos Theory, Police Action and Chaos, which lead up to the MTMTE/RiD launch, but they're not really worth it when you could just jump into MTMTE and pick up the basics along the way.

Enkidu

Having just recently caught up myself I would really recommend Chaos Theory. It's really good and the Shadowplay arc in MTMTE is essentially a sequel to it.

Savitar

I love all the stuff with shadowplay and all that goes with it, you really got to wonder who else has fallen prey to that in the long history of Cybertron. Cybertron society overall was pretty harsh to criminals removing their original heads giving them the cyclops eye look and replacing hands with claws.

If Megatron had gone another way to combat the corrupted leadership he could have been considered a hero, and it's easy to see why some considered him to be one. Unfortunately the Decepticon cause went straight down the shitter into something pretty damn vile rather quick.

You got to wonder if the Decepticons had some actual decent members at one time that wanted to do the right thing but found themselves surrounded by bots that simply wanted to kill and destroy. It's like the worse of the worse took over and Megatron fell down the rabbit hole badly himself when he could have been something so much more.

Savitar

Considering the DJD were trying to find Drift it's inevitable they'll run into the Lost Light and if *HE* is there.....that could get interesting quick.

Also no way shall that end bad with him on the team.

Savitar

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #28: Dawn of the Autobots—SPOTLIGHT
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a) • Casey W. Coller (c)
EARTHFALL! The AUTOBOTS return to Earth—with OPTIMUS PRIME in command! But what brought them back—and what terrifying secret do the humans hold? A bold new era begins here!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• OPTIMUS PRIME LEADS THE AUTOBOTS ON EARTH!?
• The perfect jumping-on point for new readers!
• Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the TRANSFORMERS!
• Variant interlocking cover by Livio Ramondelli!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #28: Dawn of the Autobots—SPOTLIGHT
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a) • Casey W. Coller (c)
CERTAIN DEATH, HERE WE COME! MEGATRON assumes control of the quest to find the Knights of Cybertron—a quest that has never before been so urgent, so personal, and so likely to end in tears. An incredulous Lost Light crew is left asking the same thing you are: how exactly did it come to this?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• MEGATRON LEADS THE AUTOBOTS IN SPACE!?!
• You read that right—MEGATRON joins the AUTOBOTS!
• The perfect jumping-on point for new readers!

Transformers: Windblade #1 (of 4): Dawn of the Autobots—SPOTLIGHT
Mairghread Scott (w) • Sarah Stone (a) • Casey W. Coller (c)
WHO IS WINDBLADE? In the aftermath of DARK CYBERTRON, WINDBLADE takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from—and what does her secret mean to the future of the TRANSFORMERS? A powerful new chapter in the TRANSFORMERS saga begins here!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• WINDBLADE takes CYBERTRON by storm!
• Winner of the FAN BUILD BOT POLL—in which fans voted to create an all-new TRANSFORMERS CHARACTER!
• Learn the secret history of WINDBLADE, CHROMIA, and NAUTICA!

Back to Earth.

*sighs*

Mike M

Nick N
Holy shit snacks, that's pretty faithful to the original.

What was someone saying about the comic continuity where convicted criminals had their heads replaced with cyclopian ones and hands with claws?

Man, I've been on a G1 tear recently. Started with finding this guy at a thrift store:

photo.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

and now I've expanded with the Platinum Predaking, Encore 20 and 20A, and all of the minibots. Crazy

Savitar

A couple years back I bought the Powermaster Optimus that had the full trailer and extra armor that had only previously been released in Japan.

Tizoc

This may serve as a handy guide.

sAhm3O5.png

Oh good one! James wrote other single issue stories too but it's a shame that there's no TPB that collects them all in one book. Want to read his 2 part Orion Pax story from pre-war Cybertron? Gotta get Chaos Theory if you don't like single isue collection.

I love all the stuff with shadowplay and all that goes with it, you really got to wonder who else has fallen prey to that in the long history of Cybertron. Cybertron society overall was pretty harsh to criminals removing their original heads giving them the cyclops eye look and replacing hands with claws.
IIRC that wasn't done to criminals only, as the removal of the hands and heads is also meant to be a mark of shame/disgrace.

If Megatron had gone another way to combat the corrupted leadership he could have been considered a hero, and it's easy to see why some considered him to be one. Unfortunately the Decepticon cause went straight down the shitter into something pretty damn vile rather quick.

You got to wonder if the Decepticons had some actual decent members at one time that wanted to do the right thing but found themselves surrounded by bots that simply wanted to kill and destroy. It's like the worse of the worse took over and Megatron fell down the rabbit hole badly himself when he could have been something so much more.

Way I see it, Megatron got so stick and tired of the council's shit he decided to take it out on all the universe.
On the one hand he DOES want there to be peace in the universe, but only under his terms. Way I see it, he'll go Scorched Earth on the entire universe and then resurrect it after cyberforming planets.
Let me try and find that page where the DJD leader quotes Megatron...

Enkidu

What was someone saying about the comic continuity where convicted criminals had their heads replaced with cyclopian ones and hands with claws?
It's called Empurata. It was a form of punishment used on pre-war Cybertron in the IDW continuity. Essentially, heads were replaced with faceless cyclops like ones and hands were replaced with claws. The purpose was to punish criminals and publicly shame them, as well as serving as an example to make sure everyone else stays in line. Its non-fictional purpose is to explain why some Transformers like Whirl look so different.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Some news from Day 3 of the UK Toy Fair that should please TruePrime: The grey/white tractor trailer from TF4 is being identified by a "reliable source" as Ultra Magnus.

This is extra good news because if Magnus becomes a prominent character via the movie, a US release of the Magnus Masterpiece figure is much more likely. Fingers crossed the source knows what they're talking about.

Tizoc

Yo!
So like...that last page in the latest issue of Robots in Disguise; wha'd you guys think of it?

JaseMath

Hey guys..hoped to get some feedback. All heads are based on the G1 versions, though I did take some personal freedoms with some features. I'm thinking about re-doing Bumblebee. It was loosely based on Don Figueroa's since I think the original G1 Bumblebee looks kind of lame, but I'm not sure I like it all that much.

Anything (or anyone) missing? Colors seems off? Any critique helps. Thanks!

EDIT: Image is watermarked.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'd say Ironhide needs a taller headcrest and Soundwave's "horns" should be sharper and wider. They jut out to the side a bit near his head, then taper up.

Good stuff, though. Grimlock is exceptional. You got a lot of character into a face that is just an eyeshield and the color black.

JaseMath

I'd say Ironhide needs a taller headcrest and Soundwave's "horns" should be sharper and wider. They jut out to the side a bit near his head, then taper up.

Good stuff, though. Grimlock is exceptional. You got a lot of character into a face that is just an eyeshield and the color black.

Ironhide? That's Rodimus!

Soundwave was one I redid probably 2 or 3 times. I'm still not 100% on him, but there's a lot of permutations of his head crest. Some are taller, and some a a bit shorter so I tried for a compromise.

Fantomex

It's called Empurata. It was a form of punishment used on pre-war Cybertron in the IDW continuity. Essentially, heads were replaced with faceless cyclops like ones and hands were replaced with claws. The purpose was to punish criminals and publicly shame them, as well as serving as an example to make sure everyone else stays in line. Its non-fictional purpose is to explain why some Transformers like Whirl look so different.

I always felt bad about that. Poor shockwave man. He was just trying to steal some energon to feed his family. JK.

If you guys haven't picked up a QuakeWave, I encourage you to do so. It is probably the best Masterpiece out there. In terms of quality, features, transformation and looks. Just amazing.

So life long Transformers fan here, one of the rare people who liked Rodimus Prime (but having the movie as your main point of reference for 5 years will do that to you), played Fall of Cybertron, fell in love with the designs, bought Grimlock and now have a huge desire to buy all the Grimlocks.

Some one please talk me out of buying this

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11775&mode=retail

I really want it, but alas my house buying fund needs not to be attacked for Transformers money.

Hey guys..hoped to get some feedback. All heads are based on the G1 versions, though I did take some personal freedoms with some features. I'm thinking about re-doing Bumblebee. It was loosely based on Don Figueroa's since I think the original G1 Bumblebee looks kind of lame, but I'm not sure I like it all that much.

Anything (or anyone) missing? Colors seems off? Any critique helps. Thanks!

EDIT: Image is watermarked.

This look really cool. This are just my personal opinions.

The middle silver crest is too high on Primes head. SW's "antenna" should be taller/higher. Shockwaves face looks a little too squat. Megs face needs some dark shading in the face or something. Only face that looks off to me is Ironhide's for some reason.

The rest look freaking awesome, especially BB and Grimlock.

JaseMath

This look really cool. This are just my personal opinions.

The middle silver crest is too high on Primes head. SW's "antenna" should be taller/higher. Shockwaves face looks a little too squat. Megs face needs some dark shading in the face or something. Only face that looks off to me is Ironhide's for some reason.

The rest look freaking awesome, especially BB and Grimlock.

Again...Rodimus!

Fantomex

So life long Transformers fan here, one of the rare people who liked Rodimus Prime (but having the movie as your main point of reference for 5 years will do that to you), played Fall of Cybertron, fell in love with the designs, bought Grimlock and now have a huge desire to buy all the Grimlocks.

Some one please talk me out of buying this

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11775&mode=retail

I really want it, but alas my house buying fund needs not to be attacked for Transformers money.

I got back into Transformers 3 years ago because of that exact figure. If you read a couple of posts up, I wrote that Quakewave was the best Masterpiece figure out there, however the Grimlock MP is still my favorite.

JaseMath

If I do Ironhide, what Deception should I add? I need an even number..! Scorponok maybe?

Also, no comments about Bumblebee? The look is growing on me. I'll also play with Rodimus tomorrow since we're apparently having a snow day! :p

Top Bottom