• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I feel lucky I got mine for a good price, I think it was $110 or so, even if I thought it was overpriced at the time.

Yeah, crossing the $100 barrier before shipping was a bit of a stretch at the time, but hey, it was Grimlock. Then Rodimus came along and broke the $200 barrier and it's all been downhill from there with the exchange rate.

Savitar

A new G.I.Joe/Transformers comic book announced.........yes both in one book just like all those crossovers.

Two of the most popular comic book franchises of all-time, TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE, will be going head-to-head in a brand-new ongoing series debuting next summer! Written and drawn by comic luminary Tom Scioli (Godland, American Barbarian) with co-writer and TRANSFORMERS veteran John Barber (TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE, FALL OF CYBERTRON), these classic characters will explode off the page like never before!

Based on the iconic Hasbro brands, this stand-alone series is set to explore the intriguing encounter between these starkly different teams. Cosmic in scale, the series will utilize Scioli's unique artwork to traverse the perils of space and pit the G.I. JOE team against the ominous threats of CYBERTRON. Featuring the characters synonymous with both TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE this will be a team-up for the ages!

"This is a dream project for me," says Barber, "and I'm blown away by the imagination and the unique take that Tom Scioli is bringing to this project. It harkens back to classic comic traditions—and to the origins of the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE characters—but feels constantly, irrepressibly new!"

"This feels like the comic I was born to make," says Scioli. "We're asking big questions. Is war an inevitable condition of life? What is free will? What is the future of man and machine as the line between them becomes increasingly blurred? The G.I. JOE team is trained to deal with dangerous situations and this is the ultimate test of their training. The TRANSFORMERS characters push the boundaries of what shapes life can take in this infinite universe of ours. Perhaps it will be a machine that teaches us what it is to be human."

Both brands have found immense success over the decades with action figures, feature films, cartoons, comics and more; and have each found unique and avid fanbases. With influential and iconic characters, the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE brands are globally renowned as multi-media powerhouses.

"We've been waiting for the right opportunity for this event, and the anniversary of both TRANSFORMERS and G.I.JOE in 2014 is definitely the perfect time," said Michael Kelly, Hasbro's Director of Global Publishing. "We are very excited to be working with IDW on this project, and I for one can't wait to read the next chapter of this adventure."

Anyone in on that Subscription Service this year? Last year was hit or miss, and this year seems the same. I'm really only interested in Barricade. Anyone taking the plunge?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Anyone in on that Subscription Service this year? Last year was hit or miss, and this year seems the same. I'm really only interested in Barricade. Anyone taking the plunge?
I'm in on both years. I've been pretty happy with what we've gotten so far--the only figure I'm not terribly excited about it Jackpot since I'm not a huge Animated collector.

Next year looks great to me. Lots of great characters and molds. The only figure I wasn't too excited about was Thrustinator, but I'm starting to warm up to him based on sheer goofiness.

And the TFCC Protoform X/Rampage figure looks outstanding. It's pretty cool that we're getting a "free" Voyager figure.

You liked Circuit? I picked him up on the super cheap because a lot of groups couldn't find someone to buy in and split the service with and choose him.

The hilariously awesome neon sold me on it. Didn't think I'd find another person who didn't think it was awful, hah.

Whimsical Phil

You liked Circuit? I picked him up on the super cheap because a lot of groups couldn't find someone to buy in and split the service with and choose him.

The hilariously awesome neon sold me on it. Didn't think I'd find another person who didn't think it was awful, hah.
Oh, no...I'm all for ridiculous color schemes. I had a friend who went to Botcon in 2011, and the only thing I made him bring back for me was the Action Master Thundercracker homage (along with the Galvatron he was packaged with).

So yes, Circuit is great. I like the mold, and the color scheme looks fantastic on it. Also: another Action Master homage!

Oddly enough, my Jackpot figure arrived today. I was considering selling him due to my aforementioned lack of an extensive Animated collection, but he only seems to get fetching around $38. I'll probably just end up keeping him. Now I'm all excited to get Ultra Mammoth (another one I'm anticipating for the sheer goofiness).

Man, that Action Master/Shattered Glass Thundercracker is deliciously cheesy. I am jelly as hell.

Yeah, at that price I'd hold on to it. If you've got the rest of the set, I'd place more than 38 bucks worth of value on him just for the sake of having all 6.

NEO0MJ

Never joined the club, consider it too expensive for what Ill be getting. Besides, shipping would be a killer for me.

Oddly enough, my Jackpot figure arrived today. I was considering selling him due to my aforementioned lack of an extensive Animated collection, but he only seems to get fetching around $38. I'll probably just end up keeping him. Now I'm all excited to get Ultra Mammoth (another one I'm anticipating for the sheer goofiness).

You can probably sell him for a good price in a few years, as long as his box is in good condition.

I'm starting to suffer withdrawal from the end of Transformers Prime (and anger at how it ended)

I hear the next major show will debut after TF4 shits up the franchise in theatres, I really wonder where they're going to go with it?

I've been watching this Fall of Cybertron clip a ton and I would love if the next show was a prequel based on Cybertron. More origin stories and intimate battles, and NO HUMANS. (I know that would never happen - humans are a necessary device to humanize the war and to handcuff the story so bots and cons can't just murder each other. Imagine Optimus without the crutch of having to defend humans though..)

Tizoc

IMO a new TF animated series should ditch earth and be character oriented...maybe toss in a mystery that an autobot has to solve focusing on the bizarre actions of the Decepticons which leads to there being a traitor among the Autobots.
It would take place in space, like after the Autbots drove the Decepticons off of Earth and the war continues in the stars and across various planets.

Also make Hot Rod the main character, seriously he hasn't been in a TF animated series since the 80s!

Also vote for TF Last Stand of the Wreckers guys!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696586

IMO a new TF animated series should ditch earth and be character oriented...maybe toss in a mystery that an autobot has to solve focusing on the bizarre actions of the Decepticons which leads to there being a traitor among the Autobots.
It would take place in space, like after the Autbots drove the Decepticons off of Earth and the war continues in the stars and across various planets.

Also make Hot Rod the main character, seriously he hasn't been in a TF animated series since the 80s!

That's because Hot Rod sucks.

Also, Smokescreen in Prime is a massive Expy of him and lampoons him in Predacons Rising.

Whimsical Phil

Ahhh, I see. I used to think they came in spacial packages like that Astrotrain.
Yeah, the club exclusive figures that they sell come in fancy boxes, but the subscription figures and the annual freebie toy come in no-frills packaging.

Lately, they've been making special larger boxes for figures that go together. For example, last year's exclusive Runabout figure came in a box designed to hold him and Runamuck, which was that year's membership freebie.

Likewise, next year there will be a larger box for the club's Transmutate figure that is meant to hold both it and the free Rampage figure.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm starting to suffer withdrawal from the end of Transformers Prime (and anger at how it ended)

I hear the next major show will debut after TF4 shits up the franchise in theatres, I really wonder where they're going to go with it?

I've been watching this Fall of Cybertron clip a ton and I would love if the next show was a prequel based on Cybertron. More origin stories and intimate battles, and NO HUMANS. (I know that would never happen - humans are a necessary device to humanize the war and to handcuff the story so bots and cons can't just murder each other. Imagine Optimus without the crutch of having to defend humans though..)

Sadly and/or hilariously, this can't happen because Hasbro "officially" considers Fall of Cybertron and TF Prime to be in the same continuity. Yes, believe it or not, all the characters in the High Moon games are supposed to be the same characters as TF Prime's equivalents. It was originally supposed to be all part of the Aligned Continuity, in which all the various pieces of the franchise would be part of the same timeline (High Moon games, TFP cartoon, spinoff novels, etc.), but for whatever reason that went completely out the window almost as soon as it was announced. Hard to coordinate that many moving parts, I suppose. This has led to some members of the fandom coming up with incredibly tortured and improbably explanations for why the sarcastic and diminutive Breakdown of War for Cybertron became the hulking brute Breakdown of TF Prime, but most people just acknowledge that none of it matches up and it's all separate creative work.

That said, Hasbro seems to still be sticking by it, so as far as they're concerned, the High Moon games are the official backstory to TF Prime. More likely we'll get some kind of vaguely related sequel series focusing on the post-reactivation Cybertron. They're actually in a very good position to adapt the IDW MTMTE/RID ongoing stories, but I have a feeling that's way too much to hope for.

If by "since the '80s" you mean "2009." Although it was a pretty brief appearance. Judd Nelson did do his voice, though!

Tizoc

If by "since the '80s" you mean "2009." Although it was a pretty brief appearance. Judd Nelson did do his voice, though!

Totally forgot about that haha, but the IDW comics mde me like the character especially MTMTE as Rodimus.

Speaking of which #22 is out this week and it was golden, too many good scenes in this issue, like Rodimus
being mad jelly of Thunderclash

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Transformers GO! Dragon Train Optimus Prime has been revealed. Money saved.

YnFLHKL.jpg

the chris

Also vote for TF Last Stand of the Wreckers guys!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696586

But where would humans fit into this? Kids don't want to see giant robots all the time, they want other annoying kids in the show.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is that from the movie? I think the streamlined Autobots designs are the bigger surprise.

It's from brand guides for the movie promotion next year, yeah. I would expect to see that image on T-shirts or something. Some low-res character test art of Optimus surfaced, too.

dSrlOnd.jpg

eTZ2Pli.jpg

sqwarlock

So I guess Toys R Us isn't selling the Soundwave MP edition anymore? It's not in their database at all, and it seems like I missed out on one character I never had a toy of.

Tizoc

So when the heck ar Hasbro gonna make a Rung transformers figure?
Now that we know what he transformers into

Mike M

Nick N
So I guess Toys R Us isn't selling the Soundwave MP edition anymore? It's not in their database at all, and it seems like I missed out on one character I never had a toy of.
When I've been calling every TRU in the state, I've been told that they would probably restock for the holidays.

Make of it what you will.

Restock or not, if it's for the holidays it'll sell just as fast.Like MP-10 fast.

There are sightings forums I'd recommend using, if possible, to maximise your chances of finding one in a particular area.

I personally use the threads at cybertron.ca to keep up with it, but there are American forums and segments of forums that accomplish the same task.

Mike M

Nick N
Why the merciful fuck is Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus $60? He's just a remold of Beast Tracker Optimus Prime, he doesn't even have any metalized paint aps or anything. What on earth justifies charging an extra $20?

NEO0MJ

Why the merciful fuck is Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus $60? He's just a remold of Beast Tracker Optimus Prime, he doesn't even have any metalized paint aps or anything. What on earth justifies charging an extra $20?

Gold Hammer, I guess.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Forge of Solus plus over-fancy packaging.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, the movie toys are gonna suck arent they?
I expect them to be on par with the previous three. There were some solid figures, if you were okay with the alien aesthetic.

All I care about are mah Dinobots, though. Robot dinosaurs are the best thing of forever, I can overlook *so many* sins for their sake.

Fantomex

I expect them to be on par with the previous three. There were some solid figures, if you were okay with the alien aesthetic.

All I care about are mah Dinobots, though. Robot dinosaurs are the best thing of forever, I can overlook *so many* sins for their sake.

dinobots are my favorite. I hope they do them justice.

Mike M

Nick N
Can't possibly be worse than Energon Mega Dinobot pair of Grimlock and Swoop. The set so crappy, it shipped with a placeholder name.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So some guys did some digging on Hasbro's site and found entries in the customer service area for a bunch of upcoming stuff that may or may not exist. Some of it sounds pretty interesting.

Generations Voyager Brainstorm
Generations Voyager Roadbuster
Generations Voyager Skybyte
Generations 30th Leader Jetfire
Generations 30th Leader Megatron
Generations Deluxe Arcee
Generations Deluxe Chromia
Generations Deluxe Hardhead
Generations Deluxe Jhiaxus
Generations Legends Brawn with Mudslinger
Generations Legends Gears with Eagle Eye
Generations Legends Cliffjumper
Generations Legends Gnaw with Gnash
Beast Hunter Deluxe Value Packs (4 of them, most likely Black Friday deals)
TRA Black Hunter Nemesis Prime
TRA Black Skyfire
Blindpacks - Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Grimlock
Construct Bots Rider Autobot Drift
Construct Bots Rider Bruce
Cosntruct Bots Rider Bumblebee
Construct Bots Rider Lockdown
Cosntruct Bots Rider Duke
Construct Bots Rider Max

I'm sure most of them will be crushingly disappointing repaints (those leader classes have to be RotF Jetfire and Megatron), but if even a couple are new molds, awesome.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There's also a listing for Masterpiece Sideswipe, which could mean a US release in the pipeline. However, the listings also include several Takara releases, so nobody's too sure.

JLynn

When I've been calling every TRU in the state, I've been told that they would probably restock for the holidays.

Make of it what you will.

It's a shame it's easier to get a pair of Air Jordans in a larger size from a sneaker store than it is to get a Masterpiece Soundwave from TRU.

Hasbro must have made 11,999 units and said the hell with it.

Quakewave is such mad pimpin' that I am willing to take this on how well I like tha tone alone.

Hopefully they continue that trend.

The Warbotron/not-Bruticus with the fantastic target renders is also up for preorder now. It's sooner than I thought, if it sticks. Hopefully we'll see some finals with paint apps sooner rather than later, in that case.

Top Bottom