• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Savitar

I went to my local comic book store and I only now know Regeneration is a continuation of the Marvel G1 comics with the old art style and Simon Furman. Woah. Paperback so bought.

It's pretty crummy.

Also it's extremely disappointing it outsells RID and MTMTE

Fantomex

I want a Masterpiece Huffer. He became my favorite after watching those Dr. Smoov videos. "heh he , thanks a lot Wheel Jerk"!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I want a Masterpiece Huffer. He became my favorite after watching those Dr. Smoov videos. "heh he , thanks a lot Wheel Jerk"!

You're in luck! If you don't mind paying third-party prices.

Cubex Unofficial Masterpiece Huffer

Wf87ahH.jpg

adbqiRe.jpg

Fantomex

You're in luck! If you don't mind paying third-party prices.

Cubex Unofficial Masterpiece Huffer

Wf87ahH.jpg

adbqiRe.jpg

I saw that! Thanks. Here is my concern, and I wonder if you guys ever get this. For example QuakeWave. I feel that as soon as I decide to purchase him, Takara will announce their own Shockwave Masterpiece! Do you guys ever get that? I'm almost sure I'll purchase this Huffer, because I doubt he is of priority to the MP line.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I saw that! Thanks. Here is my concern, and I wonder if you guys ever get this. For example QuakeWave. I feel that as soon as I decide to purchase him, Takara will announce their own Shockwave Masterpiece! Do you guys ever get that? I'm almost sure I'll purchase this Huffer, because I doubt he is of priority to the MP line.

I suspected it with QuakeWave, but I don't think an official MP Huffer is in the cards any time soon. I never did get QuakeWave, because I'm pretty sure a Takara version will be along in the next year or two.

NEO0MJ

I suspected it with QuakeWave, but I don't think an official MP Huffer is in the cards any time soon. I never did get QuakeWave, because I'm pretty sure a Takara version will be along in the next year or two.

Yeah, I can see a Shockwave figure coming eventually, I mean we already have the top three 'cons available in MP form. Other than Galvatron and Cyclonus I don't think he has any competition.

Mike M

Nick N
I love Shockwave almost as much as Soundwave. Just such an awesome design, but sadly no cassette buddies. I'd buy the shit out of an MP version.

Galvatron too. G1 Galvy needs a good figure after all these years.

Firemind

As much as I like Shockwave, he's not terribly iconic. Not as iconic as Galvatron or even the Constructicons. I really wish they do a combiner some day. It has to be Devastator, Bruticus or Predaking.

Also, Jazz. I wonder if Porsche are giving them shit. Then again, I believe Lamborghini is part of the same parent company.

NEO0MJ

Shockwave is probably my favorite TF character ever, and I would kill for a MP version of him. I just hope they use his more modern comic design instead of his original cartoon appearance, it's kinda boring.

Also, Jazz. I wonder if Porsche are giving them shit. Then again, I believe Lamborghini is part of the same parent company.

I'm still surprised that Sideswipe got the MP treatment before Jazz, I always thought that Jazz was more popular. If the problem is with the licence it could make sense, after all that's the only reason I could think of for Bumblebee not getting the MP treatment yet either.

Savitar

Shockwave has become pretty iconic.

First for this reason:
1133586015_Shockwave%20cover.jpg

Second for how the cartoon portrayed him.

Then for the Marvel comic which had him beating the shit out of Megatron and being able to stand up to the Dinobots.

Then you got the continuing traditions of all of those since then.

Plus his design is fairly unique, even if he has some of the lousiest non alt modes lately.

Cheerilee

Watching TF media there's always been a question i've had that I wanted to bounce off of you guys.

Why do the Decepticons follow Megatron? What did he do that managed to coerce the lion's share of an entire planet to follow him unquestionably?

The new continuity has tried to explain this with the caste system, but what of G1? There's no way Megatron managed to convert all of those Decepticons with just the robo smasher.

The best theory I can come up with is that Cybertronians are war mongers by nature, and as a result they would naturally gravitate towards who they believe to be the strongest and most cunning. This fits along with the books.

G1 is sometimes inconsistent, but here's my headcanon.

The Autobots were Quintesson slaves (unclear on whether the Quintessons actually created the Autobots or just enslaved them, or if the Quintessons themselves were Cybertronian in origin). The Autobots (or at least a generation of them) were built to do a job (the exploitation of Cybertron's natural resources), but they were living robots, with sentience and free will. They revolted and cast off their oppressors.

I suspect that at least one generation of Autobots was created by Alpha Trion's generation (using Vector Sigma, primarily), for the purpose of rebuilding Cybertron (but again, free will). These are the Autobots mostly seen in G1, and I think they had civilian-peacetime origins.

At some point, I believe that Alpha Trion's generation felt the need to increase the power level of Cybertronians, to develop new abilities, and to make them more militant, as a defense against a possible return of the Quintessons. Jetfire, for example, can fly. And Starscream was Jetfire's co-worker and friend.

At some point, a line was drawn between the newer, more powerful, more militarized bots, and the laborers, and the new bots came to be called Decepticons. Jetfire, for example, was probably modern enough to join the Decepticons, but old-fashioned enough not to (if he had been around when the lines were drawn).

Megatron was (I think) built to unite and lead the Decepticons. He was the most powerful Transformer of his time (some might beat him on some level, but not all-around). But since he had free will, he rejected his role as the flying, godlike protector of weak Autobots, and quietly rallied his Decepticons around his new cause, that the strong should take from the weak. When the time was right, he turned against his prey. I think that Darwinism probably removed most of the weakest of the Autobots, and the rest of the Autobots (having free will) learned to fight at the Decepticons' level.

It's kind of the opposite of the modern continuity, where Megatron was the self-made hero of the downtrodden. Also, I think it's important to note that G1 Megatron's alt mode is just a gun. The most powerful of all G1 Transformers (until Optimus), but he's expected to regularly surrender his free will and become nothing more than a tool of destruction, the violent puppet of whichever master is pulling his strings.

When Orion Pax was mortally wounded, Alpha Trion rebuilt him into Optimus Prime, the greatest of all Transformers (from an all-around standpoint), stronger even than Megatron, but without the killer instinct. And while Alpha Trion was doing so, he rejected flight and all other Decepticon advancements, in an attempt to stay clear of whatever flaw it was that led to the Decepticons' going bad. Optimus was a pure, old-fashioned Autobot. More powerful than any other Autobot, thanks to the secret sauce of the Matrix of Leadership. And that was Optimus' greatest strength, his ability to unify and lead what was left of the Autobots.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm still surprised that Sideswipe got the MP treatment before Jazz, I always thought that Jazz was more popular. If the problem is with the licence it could make sense, after all that's the only reason I could think of for Bumblebee not getting the MP treatment yet either.

This is exactly the case. They tried to make a Porsche 911 Jazz back during the Binaltech line, but Porsche flatly rejected them, on the basis that they did not want their brand associated with "war toys," probably due to that whole "made vehicles for the Nazis" thing. Takara subsequently went to Volkswagen to ask about a Beetle license for Bumblebee, not realizing that Porsche owned a controlling interest in Volkswagen. The response this time was "As before, the answer is no, and never ask again." And that's where the matter rested for the last decade.

However, in the course of that decade, Michael Bay made three incredibly internationally successful Transformers films that used licensed cars and no one accused any of them of promoting violence by being associated with "war toys." In fact, they made a fair amount of free money and got some very positive exposure to the youth audience. Mercedes was even willing to let Bay make their car a bad guy, which was rather surprising to all involved.

So, while nobody knows the real story for sure except those involved, it's probably not a stretch to think that Porsche has come around to the idea that having your cars tied in with the best-selling boys' toy of the last quarter century may not lead to people angrily remembering that you made limousines for Hitler. Bumblebee's Masterpiece figure announcement almost certainly guarantees that a Masterpiece Jazz is on the way, but might be taking longer if they're trying to iron out licensing for his various racing decals. See also Masterpiece Wheeljack, unrelated to Porsche but another license that was believed impossible to get due to Lancia having been absorbed by Fiat and his decals requiring a license from Alitalia (an Italian airline). The success of the Bay films and the accompanying rise in mainstream mindshare for the brand has apparently made it much easier to approach companies about these kinds of things. I bet Takara misses the days when they just didn't license anything and assumed nobody would ever notice some little robot car on a toy store shelf back in the '70s, though.

Savitar

Introducing....THRUSTINATOR.

vXDoPbyl.jpg

cayGKkal.jpg

Talk about crazy designs.

And for those who don't get it, it's Waspinator from Beast Wars and him as Thrust from Beast Machines in a crazy merger of the two.

Mike M

Nick N
Introducing....THRUSTINATOR.

vXDoPbyl.jpg

cayGKkal.jpg

Talk about crazy designs.

And for those who don't get it, it's Waspinator from Beast Wars and him as Thrust from Beast Machines in a crazy merger of the two.

Oh wow, that's an almost brilliant use of that mold.

Savitar

It's creative.

Makes me wonder if they'll do some other "mergers" of bots that changed.

Or just merge some together to get crazy results.

Yeah, I can see a Shockwave figure coming eventually, I mean we already have the top three 'cons available in MP form. Other than Galvatron and Cyclonus I don't think he has any competition.

I do think we'll see Galvatron before we see Shockwave in MP format.

I also think they'll overdose on doing more smaller autobots before we even see that.

That said, Quakewave is fucking awesome, and worth every penny. I got one from the first run and got the opaque hands and it's seriously fantastic looking.

When I finally unpack him after the move, I'll take some photos.

Mike M

Nick N
It's creative.

Makes me wonder if they'll do some other "mergers" of bots that changed.

Or just merge some together to get crazy results.

Actually, wouldn't this be indicative that the supporting fiction would be set post Beast Machines? That's the first official story set after, yes?

No idea what else they could extend this idea to, though, Wapinator's situation at the end of BM was kind of unique. Repaint Max B as Silverbolt? Thrustor as another version of Dinobot?

Just curious bust has Erector ever got his name changed?

Probably too obscure for anyone to care.

Savitar

Actually, wouldn't this be indicative that the supporting fiction would be set post Beast Machines? That's the first official story set after, yes?

No idea what else they could extend this idea to, though, Wapinator's situation at the end of BM was kind of unique. Repaint Max B as Silverbolt? Thrustor as another version of Dinobot?.

I'm not sure, there are so many cannons out there where and how some connect is almost X-Men crazy when you try to keep track of them. Okay it's actually simpler then that but when you include things like this it can be confusing.

Well they can always do Rhinox/Tankor and Silverbolt/Jetstorm

Or hey....what about a certain Megatron/Ratchet figure based off a popular TF Marvel comic? Yeah some people would say huh what about a Megatron/Optimus hybrid since those are the two big ones from each side but hey if we go by history....

Also didn't Erector actually win some award held by a poll some years back? TF of the year or something. Or some con thing.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm not sure, there are so many cannons out there where and how some connect is almost X-Men crazy when you try to keep track of them. Okay it's actually simpler then that but when you include things like this it can be confusing.

Well they can always do Rhinox/Tankor and Silverbolt/Jetstorm

Or hey....what about a certain Megatron/Ratchet figure based off a popular TF Marvel comic? Yeah some people would say huh what about a Megatron/Optimus hybrid since those are the two big ones from each side but hey if we go by history....

Thrustinator there is just a repaint of BW Second Dirgegun with a new head though, the convention exclusives never go beyond new head sculpts to my recollection, and I can't imagine Hasbro caring enough to come up with such figures for Generations.

Was a fair ways out of town shooting a wedding today. Had some downtime, so I hit the TRU looking for MP Soundwave. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the MP packaging, but it was only three copies of Acid Storm.

Fucking Acid Storm has an MP figure? Why the fuck does a non-character like Acid Storm warrant an MP figure? I know it's an easy repaint, but really, he's just a background character that showed up for like 30 seconds in one episode, had no lines, and didn't even have this jet as an altmode.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I momentarily allowed myself to experience hope.

Mike M

Nick N
Menasor is literally my least favorite of all the Scramble City combiners, but damned if they didn't make him look bad ass there.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Who're the villains in TF4?

My crazy idea for a TF movie reboot
make the Decepticons the terror of the universe, who destroy any civilization that get in their way. Decepticons just exploit and take any planet's resources they come upon, and of course you can them be sadistic homicidal maniacs, ala Overlord or the DJD.
...and of course make Megatron THE evil of all evil; he's so terrifying, Earth would fire all its nukes at him even if it meant slowing him down for just 1 second, if the missles won't kill him.

Autobots on the other hand have taken it upon themselves to help any civilization combat the Decepticons, but with some twists:
Earth would be just another world they must prevent the Decepticons from conquering, among the many hundreds (if not thousands) that the Decepticons are after. Having experience with past alliances, the Autobots are very hesitant to offer some of their technology to their allies in order to combat the Decepticons because, once the Decepticons leave, they would use this new tech for their own agendas.

I'd also save Megatron for the 2nd movie and build him up in the first.
Main Autobots for the 1st movie would include Hot Rod, Arcee, Wheelie and a few others that act as the Scout team.
The Decepticons on Earth are the advance party, and include Starscream and his Seeker team- Thundercracker, Skywarp, Slipstream, Dirge, Ramjet and Acid Rain, with Acid Rain being the comic relief but has very few scenes. Their 'science' division would include Airachnid and Black Arachnia, with some other Decepitcon heavy hitters.

The story would borrow elements from the IDW comics as well as some characterization.

That's it off the top of my head ATM =V

I like it but nothing this good will come out of the transformer franchine until maybe the 3rd or 4th reboot cycle. Also i think the current IDW stuff is the best transformer lore stuff in damn near ever.

Third Party WFC Swoop. Same guys who made that insane Omega. Project X.

Anyone own Genesis? Shit looks hot but I haven't had the spare cash to drop on it. The reprint that's due imminently looks pretty damn fantastic though and I am tempted.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah I have to say YOTS Omega with the add-on kit is a better buy than Planet X. The proportions of Planet X Omega are incredibly weird and his legs are stumpy and silly looking.

I'm just not the world's biggest fan of the train alt mod at all and dislike this Omega's legs.

Not sure if Genesis is worth the price point when considering just that, though.

In any case, how do you guys showcase your collections? I *just* moved, am unpacking, and am thinking I should redo my displays, and wonder what you're using.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm just not the world's biggest fan of the train alt mod at all and dislike this Omega's legs.

Neither is really particularly great in the leg department, but Genesis just has so many proportional problems due to his undersized legs and oversized arms that I could never justify the cost.

ynKrw8j.jpg

Box art is kind of a spoiler, isn't it?

Not a lot of people buy full TV seasons without having already seen the season, or so marketing research indicates.

Yeah, seen that photo before. It's awesome. I find the claw fine, but the other hand not so much. That said, It's alt-mode is much better to me. I shrug.

In any case, Third Party collecting is starting to get to my wallet. Lots of good stuff in the last half year. Ack.

I'll reiterate what I asked before though. New place I just moved into. Re-evaluating my shelving options. What sort of shelving does everyone here use?

NEO0MJ

I'll reiterate what I asked before though. New place I just moved into. Re-evaluating my shelving options. What sort of shelving does everyone here use?

I use the basic Ikea Detolf for my collection, though I use it to tore my other stuff, not just The Transformers.

I've seen some people using the Idea Hemnes or Billy, as well as more creative options, that all depends on you space and budget.

Savitar

Has anyone got the Transformers: 30th Anniversary Collection?

It's a celebration 30 years in the making! Relive the landmark comics that helped define the legacy of Transformers and read along with the creators that made these great comics as Jim Sorenson provides insight from a range of writers and artists that breathed life into the denizens of Cybertron. From Marvel to Dreamwave to IDW and other iterations in-between, this book is a must have for TF collectors!

Been wondering how it is.

I use the basic Ikea Detolf for my collection, though I use it to tore my other stuff, not just The Transformers.

I've seen some people using the Idea Hemnes or Billy, as well as more creative options, that all depends on you space and budget.

Yeah, Detolf is what I rock for larger pieces, I find it feels a bit cramped when doing tonnes of smaller deluxe class figs though, and wonder if it's better to straight up go uncovered shelves. I'll have to give it some thought.

Billy is too impractical, and works better storing other things. Will have to look at Hemnes, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Savitar

ATTENTION

Transformers: Robots In Disguise Volume 4 is now out in TPB

Feel free to go get it.

You have to pay.

It's worth it.

That is all.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Detolf is what I rock for larger pieces, I find it feels a bit cramped when doing tonnes of smaller deluxe class figs though, and wonder if it's better to straight up go uncovered shelves. I'll have to give it some thought.

Have you tried looking into those clear plastic cubes? Might help you with the deluxe class figures problem.

Have you tried looking into those clear plastic cubes? Might help you with the deluxe class figures problem.

Yeah, risers are probably the best bet. I've got to find a good solid source for a few, though. I'm not sure what to start looking at.

WOuld eliminate the issue with a whole lot of wasted vertical space too.

Top Bottom