• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think they handled the kids much better in the second half of the series. Season 1 with all the bloated filler episodes involving lying to Jack's mom and street racing and Miko's apparent death wish and nobody ever learning anything were awful. And that one episode late in Season 1 where the kids get trapped in the shadow dimension with Zombie Skyquake was almost enough to put me off the show entirely. By mid-Season 2 the kids were relegated to supporting roles enough that it wasn't as glaring an issue.

Mike M

Nick N
Annoying children in TF shows are the rule, not the exception. Even as far back as G1, a civilization that achieved sapient machine intelligence millions of years ago needed Chip Chase to make sense of anything to do with 1980's computer technology. I can't even recall the last time the human sidekicks annoyed me, I've just become so numb to them being in every show that I've developed something of a blind spot for them. They just fail to register entirely.

I'm with Mike M. humans in TF media is a necessary evil.

Besides, considering that the live action movies are purely about humans with robots sprinked in here and there almost anything else is a godsend.

Savitar

I don't believe you need humans in anything Transformers.

The current comics point that out.

It's why I hated one writer who also wrote G.I.Joe complaining about his job writing Transformers because they were robots and not human so they didn't have the emotions/feelings like one.

He didn't understand, he simply could not see them as anything but giant robots.

Beth Cyra

I'm with Mike M. humans in TF media is a necessary evil.

Besides, considering that the live action movies are purely about humans with robots sprinked in here and there almost anything else is a godsend.

Beast Wars as much as I don't care for it proves this is bullshit though. Beast Wars has probably the second biggest following to G1 and was so incredibly well received that it influenced all future shows in some way and was made canon to G1 and all of it was done with a focus completely on the Robots.

Humans aren't needed at all, it just takes a writer who isn't afraid to talk to the audience and not be afraid of them all being mentally handicapped and believe they need some stupid out of place character that looks slightly like them to understand anything.

Mike M

Nick N
Beast Wars managed it largely because it took place on primordial Earth. Transformers that turn into Earth vehicles on Earth are going to interact with humans, otherwise why be on Earth to start with?

Beth Cyra

Beast Wars managed it largely because it took place on primordial Earth. Transformers that turn into Earth vehicles on Earth are going to interact with humans, otherwise why be on Earth to start with?

Transformers doesn't need to be set on Earth. Set it on Cybertron, do a War With In like story line and it could be amazing and totally not need any humans.

Mike M

Nick N
Transformers doesn't need to be set on Earth. Set it on Cybertron, do a War With In like story line and it could be amazing and totally not need any humans.
You'll get no argument from me, personally my favorite TFs are the sci-fi futurism stuff. But ultimately the shows exist to sell a product, and that product features a lot of vehicles from Earth. Hasbro's been at this a long while now, I'd guess they have the focus group testing for their target demographic down to laser precision and that such data is driving such decisions.

I don't believe you need humans in anything Transformers.

The current comics point that out.

It's why I hated one writer who also wrote G.I.Joe complaining about his job writing Transformers because they were robots and not human so they didn't have the emotions/feelings like one.

He didn't understand, he simply could not see them as anything but giant robots.
Was this guy's name Michael Bay by any chance?

Beast Wars as much as I don't care for it proves this is bullshit though. Beast Wars has probably the second biggest following to G1 and was so incredibly well received that it influenced all future shows in some way and was made canon to G1 and all of it was done with a focus completely on the Robots.

Humans aren't needed at all, it just takes a writer who isn't afraid to talk to the audience and not be afraid of them all being mentally handicapped and believe they need some stupid out of place character that looks slightly like them to understand anything.
Beast Wars skirted the entire issue because 1. They were on prehistoric Earth, well before any civilization and 2. The writers didn't really know where they even wanted to take the show when they started it. and even Beast Wars had humans the Maximals protected. Dinobot died for them!

That's the thing. If you're on Earth, you need humans. The problem with Transformers isn't that humans exist, it's that the writers try to bend and shape the rules of the universe to accommodate them because it would otherwise be completely nonsensical to have 20 foot robots bother with them at all. That or in Michael' Bay's case, not having the fondest clue how to drive plot with the robots, requiring you to fill 75 percent of your trilogy with shit no one cares about and has nothing to do with the story.

For a counterpoint, I think the worst point of Transformers Prime was how few humans there were. Yeah you heard me. Too many scenes in which either side was walking around on streets or near cities with nary a person in sight. I know why they did it (budget reasons) but still it makes little sense that everywhere the bots and cons choose to fight is a barren wasteland. It got to the point where the Autobots barely ever Transformed into their vehicle modes anymore. Why bother? There's no one for miles!

transformers-4-age-of-extinction-poster-north-america_1378254863.jpg
Well that's a thing.

It feels really weird to not give a shit about the mainline TF toy series since Animated, and the future isn't looking bright. More money saved for Generations and 3rd party I guess.

Tizoc

Who're the villains in TF4?

My crazy idea for a TF movie reboot
make the Decepticons the terror of the universe, who destroy any civilization that get in their way. Decepticons just exploit and take any planet's resources they come upon, and of course you can them be sadistic homicidal maniacs, ala Overlord or the DJD.
...and of course make Megatron THE evil of all evil; he's so terrifying, Earth would fire all its nukes at him even if it meant slowing him down for just 1 second, if the missles won't kill him.

Autobots on the other hand have taken it upon themselves to help any civilization combat the Decepticons, but with some twists:
Earth would be just another world they must prevent the Decepticons from conquering, among the many hundreds (if not thousands) that the Decepticons are after. Having experience with past alliances, the Autobots are very hesitant to offer some of their technology to their allies in order to combat the Decepticons because, once the Decepticons leave, they would use this new tech for their own agendas.

I'd also save Megatron for the 2nd movie and build him up in the first.
Main Autobots for the 1st movie would include Hot Rod, Arcee, Wheelie and a few others that act as the Scout team.
The Decepticons on Earth are the advance party, and include Starscream and his Seeker team- Thundercracker, Skywarp, Slipstream, Dirge, Ramjet and Acid Rain, with Acid Rain being the comic relief but has very few scenes. Their 'science' division would include Airachnid and Black Arachnia, with some other Decepitcon heavy hitters.

The story would borrow elements from the IDW comics as well as some characterization.

That's it off the top of my head ATM =V

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, Costa was responsible for much of the trainwreck that was the ongoing IDW Transformers series between All Hail Megatron (which was also a bit of a trainwreck and also written by Costa) and MTMTE/RiD. The original idea was to streamline and simplify the myriad plot threads Furman kept introducing, but it ended up just as overcomplicated but with tons of disconnected character behavior and massive retcons, sometimes inside a single story arc.

Thankfully James Roberts doesn't have the same problem when it comes to robots having emotions.

Fantomex

Where has this thread been!!! I got back in the TF game last year. I look forward to this thread immensely! Getting a Soundwave for a pal on Gaf currently.

Put your robrofists here bros.

the_most_epic_brofist_ever_by_awesomec99-d5cmcwi.png

Mike M

Nick N
Bold prediction: Transformers 4 will borrow heavily from the third season of Prime and say that dinosaurs are from Cybertron.

Fantomex

I don't mind watching these Transformers movies on the big screen, but they have never done anything for me other than entertain me for 2 hours. I never left the theatre wanting a toy, t shirt or anything else. Where as with Animated or G1, i just HAD to have certain things in material form as a keepsake. Let's face it, Bayformers aren't close to the old material, and not far enough from it to be different. I can already imagine a horrible job being done on the Dinobots, so I'm more than prepared to be surprised by something mediocre or "meh".

I will most likely still take my kids to see it. But I'm not even the bit optimistic with these movies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I give Hasbro credit for RotF Leader Optimus Prime, though. That is a far better realization of the batshit movie design than I ever thought they'd be able to pull off at a reasonable price point.

I give Hasbro credit for RotF Leader Optimus Prime, though. That is a far better realization of the batshit movie design than I ever thought they'd be able to pull off at a reasonable price point.
HFTD Leader Starscream, and by extension, MPM-1 Starscream are also fantastic. Then they threw it all out the window for lame Mechtech weapons, and smaller, less complex DOTM toys.

First Edition Prime toys were mostly pretty cool, then the same thing happened when they shifted to the mainline. Such a shame.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm hoping Hasbro learned from their mistakes, considering many DotM toys are still languishing on store shelves two years later. AoE's toyline better bring the fucking rain, as Tyrese Gibson might say.

I'm hoping Hasbro learned from their mistakes, considering many DotM toys are still languishing on store shelves two years later. AoE's toyline better bring the fucking rain, as Tyrese Gibson might say.
With the new Beast Hunters Deluxes and Voyagers being upsized Legion and Cyberverse Commander figures? Not likely. Seems like Generations will continue to get some love, while they do the bare minimum for the stuff geared towards kids.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
With the new Beast Hunters Deluxes and Voyagers being upsized Legion and Cyberverse Commander figures? Not likely. Seems like Generations will continue to get some love, while they do the bare minimum for the stuff geared towards kids.

On the contrary, the fact that they're basically bunting on the Beast Hunters stuff for the remainder of the line just to keep product on shelves until the movie line hits in May is a good sign. It means they're focusing their energies on the movie line even now, as opposed to just rushing out half-assed toys in a few months as they did on DotM.

On the contrary, the fact that they're basically bunting on the Beast Hunters stuff for the remainder of the line just to keep product on shelves until the movie line hits in May is a good sign. It means they're focusing their energies on the movie line even now, as opposed to just rushing out half-assed toys in a few months as they did on DotM.
Perhaps, but I've noticed this trend in their other lines as well. All the non-Black Series Star Wars stuff coming out is basic 5 points of articulation junk. Same goes for anything not Marvel Legends or Universe, if I recall correctly. I'm pessimistic, but I'd love to be wrong.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If there's anything Hasbro will treat as the TF equivalent of the Black Series, I think it's likely to be the toy tie-in line for the billion-dollar summer blockbuster film. Frankly I'm shocked we're getting stuff like Rhinox and Waspinator in the Generations line in the same year as a Bay film.

Savitar

Oh they learned their lesson...if you mean their lesson was that there were not enough new characters and that the line didn't do so hot due to so many old characters.

One of the reasons why they said the new movie would have a new cast.

Thai

Bane was better.
Yeah, Costa was responsible for much of the trainwreck that was the ongoing IDW Transformers series between All Hail Megatron (which was also a bit of a trainwreck and also written by Costa) and MTMTE/RiD. The original idea was to streamline and simplify the myriad plot threads Furman kept introducing, but it ended up just as overcomplicated but with tons of disconnected character behavior and massive retcons, sometimes inside a single story arc.

Thankfully James Roberts doesn't have the same problem when it comes to robots having emotions.

So I'm reading the IDW Collections and must say that there's a HUGE difference once Roberts takes over. His TFs are way more interesting while minimizing the "humans are special" parts.

Furman's plots seemed to end pretty abruptly with the Decepticon god thing. Where was he originally going with that?

NEO0MJ

Furman's plots seemed to end pretty abruptly with the Decepticon god thing. Where was he originally going with that?

Actually, Deceptigod was featured during the Mike Costa run. The last mainline TF story Furman wrote was Revelation, five years ago. I don't know what his original plans were going forward, just that he was forced to end it quickly so that they can move to All Hail Megatron.

Watching TF media there's always been a question i've had that I wanted to bounce off of you guys.

Why do the Decepticons follow Megatron? What did he do that managed to coerce the lion's share of an entire planet to follow him unquestionably?

The new continuity has tried to explain this with the caste system, but what of G1? There's no way Megatron managed to convert all of those Decepticons with just the robo smasher.

The best theory I can come up with is that Cybertronians are war mongers by nature, and as a result they would naturally gravitate towards who they believe to be the strongest and most cunning. This fits along with the books.

Fantomex

Watching TF media there's always been a question i've had that I wanted to bounce off of you guys.

Why do the Decepticons follow Megatron? What did he do that managed to coerce the lion's share of an entire planet to follow him unquestionably?

The new continuity has tried to explain this with the caste system, but what of G1? There's no way Megatron managed to convert all of those Decepticons with just the robo smasher.

The best theory I can come up with is that Cybertronians are war mongers by nature, and as a result they would naturally gravitate towards who they believe to be the strongest and most cunning. This fits along with the books.

Decepticons were of course normal Cybertronians just like the Autobots. However during the war, the group of Cybertronians more inclined to live by the "survival of the fittest" mantra were Decepticons. Megatron pretty much earned the rank, because nobody could match him in strength, intelligence and cunning. Megatron is the founder of the Decepticon uprising and their most feared leader. Basically, Megatron is the old fashioned villain leader whom you have to beat if you want to be at the top. So somewhere along the uprisings, Megatron did some ol Gladiator I'm the leader unless someone can take my spot. At least this is what the Marvel Comics and Cartoon allude to. However Megatron one upped Decepticons and insisted they should rule the Universe and not just Cybertron. So to answer your question, at one point there was a rumble to see who the leader was, and Megatron Chuck Norrised everyone else to earn the title of boss.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Surprisingly absolutely no one, Masterpiece Soundblaster has been announced, and buying him is the only way to get Masterpiece Ratbat.

pvpKj97.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the Target exclusive "Cryofire Predaking" today and made a quick review of it on TFW2005. Check it out for more pictures!

Let's not kid ourselves. This is Cryotek.

I immediately noticed that the wings weren't floppy like on the original Predaking--they actually stay in place instead of drooping down.
My only QC issue is that the leg ratchets are very loose. You really have to angle the back feet to keep him standing.

Also found a few neat ways to differentiate him from regular Predaking
so that you buy him. Do it!
:
  • Lower his wings into a show-accurate cape.
    You can give him an awesome wingspan, but having the wings down bulks him up rather nicely.
  • If you pull the tail covering portion out a bit, you can balance the dragon head shooters pretty well, making for some awesome shoulder cannons.
    It's not a tight fit, but it sure beats having goofy arm dragons.
    You might also want to keep the missiles loose as they are known to be hair-triggers.
A true Predacon gangster/mob boss/barkeep needs to be packing some serious heat!

jCUTxCl.jpg

zQ0LS2a.jpg

FrShLt2.jpg

ZYsbING.jpg

Fantomex

I picked up the Target exclusive "Cryofire Predaking" today and made a quick review of it on TFW2005. Check it out for more pictures!

Let's not kid ourselves. This is Cryotek.

I immediately noticed that the wings weren't floppy like on the original Predaking--they actually stay in place instead of drooping down.
My only QC issue is that the leg ratchets are very loose. You really have to angle the back feet to keep him standing.

Also found a few neat ways to differentiate him from regular Predaking
so that you buy him. Do it!
:
  • Lower his wings into a show-accurate cape.
    You can give him an awesome wingspan, but having the wings down bulks him up rather nicely.
  • If you pull the tail covering portion out a bit, you can balance the dragon head shooters pretty well, making for some awesome shoulder cannons.
    It's not a tight fit, but it sure beats having goofy arm dragons.
    You might also want to keep the missiles loose as they are known to be hair-triggers.
A true Predacon gangster/mob boss/barkeep needs to be packing some serious heat!

jCUTxCl.jpg

zQ0LS2a.jpg

FrShLt2.jpg

ZYsbING.jpg

Nice and Quick. Good stuff.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It's a LOT better in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

Plus he'll off ya if you don't buy him. You'll be swimmin' wit' the Seacons.

Hung Wei Lo

Surprisingly absolutely no one, Masterpiece Soundblaster has been announced, and buying him is the only way to get Masterpiece Ratbat.

pvpKj97.jpg

Speaking of which, I may have an extra from the 2ND batch of reissues (because I was paranoid that one would get canceled) would anyone be interested in it if I do end up with 2? I think it was about $180 with shipping

Mike M

Nick N
Speaking of which, I may have an extra from the 2ND batch of reissues (because I was paranoid that one would get canceled) would anyone be interested in it if I do end up with 2? I think it was about $180 with shipping

An extra what? MP Soundblaster?

Savitar

pvpKj97.jpg

We're going to end up with a lot of repaints of Soundwave from now on aren't we? It's kinda funny as it's all a homage from the continuing G1 show in Japan where he and Blaster both blast one another to bits and get remade to their recolored forms with new names.

Yeah what can or not kill a bot can be needless complicated.

In those cases all they needed to do was bring back the head and stick it on the new bodies since the originals exploded.

Firemind

I went to my local comic book store and I only now know Regeneration is a continuation of the Marvel G1 comics with the old art style and Simon Furman. Woah. Paperback so bought.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
We're going to end up with a lot of repaints of Soundwave from now on aren't we?

Seems unlikely outside of some specialty exclusives or something. Not much else you can really do with him that's an actual character as opposed to some kind of stunt coloration like the Limp Biskit Soundwave or the Bathing Ape Optimus.

Top Bottom