• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor - From the Makers of Bastion

I think the problem is that the combat wasn't very deep. If I recall correctly, you could only have two weapons at a time, so there wasn't a lot of decision making; the challenge mostly came from maneuvering, which I found repetitive as the game went on. Upping the difficulty via tonics made it more challenging but not in a compelling way.

Really? I thought both Zia's and Zulf's themes were fantastic, especially when combined in the end theme.

And the instrumentals were BETTER.

That man does divine work.

Lotto

Dig it, but I still haven't beaten Bastion despite absolutely adoring it's aesthetics. One of a few cases where gameplay negatively impacted a game for me, but to be fair I only trudged through the first two hours of the game, but dropped it in favor of other games. I'll most likely return to it and finish it up, but I have no real desire to right now. Hopefully this one can have a bit more substance to it cause once again, the art direction is just fantastic!

Usobuko

Banned
They probably nailed everything down except for the gameplay, I am in the same camp with people that are not sold on it yet. Bastion was fairly slow-paced, tedious and lacks interesting boss encounters. I'm still optimistic with regard to this game.

Skab

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'm listening to this weeks Bombcast and Jeff mentions that this does not play like Bastion.

2:55:20

He doesn't say a whole lot about it, other than it plays differently than Bastion, and that "you stop and plot."

Sounds like it has some strategic element to it? I grew tired of the combat in Bastion after a while so this would be a good thing.

papercamm

I wonder how the game will handle being open world? The mission structure in Bastion worked pretty well and, frankly, these look pretty similar. Also: narration?

ash_ag

I wonder how the game will handle being open world? The mission structure in Bastion worked pretty well and, frankly, these look pretty similar.

Do we know it'll be open-world? I think it would work sweet though. Bastion's stages had a fairly open flow to them, even though they were literally stages. Also, I noticed some side-scrolling sections. Perhaps they'll be part of the formula?

Also: narration?
"Everybody has a voice in Cloudbank."
Also, Canningham is confirmed to be back!

I'm so pumped for this. Hope the Steam version comes with Linux compatibility and a Chrome version is on the book! I won't mind to play it on Wii U or Android either! Can't wait to see more.

papercamm

Do we know it'll be open-world? I think it would work sweet though. Bastion's stages had a fairly open flow to them, even though they were literally stages. Also, I noticed some side-scrolling sections. Perhaps they'll be part of the formula?
An article on MTV (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/03/20/bastion-developer-supergiant-goes-sci-fi-with-open-world-rpg-transistor/) called it an Open-world RPG but they could be drawing conclusions based on the description of the game: "...exploring a stunning futuristic city".

ash_ag

Do we know if Warner Bros. will publish again? They must be happy with the Bastion sales, and Supergiant was also happy with the whole partnership as far as I remember. Guess we'll likely learn in PAX.

LiK

Do we know if Warner Bros. will publish again? They must be happy with the Bastion sales, and Supergiant was also happy with the whole partnership as far as I remember. Guess we'll likely learn in PAX.

yea, dunno anything yet. i hope it's WB again. they did a nice job for them from my perspective.

Mesoian

Is that all it takes?

Honestly, yeah. Because we don't have enough of those kinds of stories.

yea, dunno anything yet. i hope it's WB again. they did a nice job for them from my perspective.

Indeed. I just hope they shy away from the Summer of XBLA/6 months of exclusivity on the microsoft platform model.

Though that being said, I wonder how those sales compared with the first few weeks of Steam/Chrome sales.

Zaventem

This game doesn't looks the least bit cyberpunk to me.Futuristic but i see nothing that says cyberpunk in that trailer.Is that gonna be the new buzzword?

This game doesn't looks the least bit cyberpunk to me.Futuristic but i see nothing that says cyberpunk in that trailer.Is that gonna be the new buzzword?

Yeah, I'm coming around to think this isn't really dystopian enough to be called cyberpunk, certainly the lighting and urban setting share the sensibilities though.

I really love the mix of art deco and nouveau going on though.

matmanx1

Love the art and music but I hope the gameplay gets some upgrades over Bastion. I thought Bastion was a pretty clear cut case of style over substance but I enjoyed the game, regardless. This one looks even better so hopefully it will play better also.

OnPoint

Played this today and it did not disappoint. It's a great way to reuse the work they did on Bastion with enough subtle tweaks that it feels like a new game.

megalowho

Now that there's some details and positive impressions out there I'm even more excited for Transistor. Pausing to plot strategic elements could be great, a mix of SRPG and ARPG. Everything sounds like a smart evolution of what the team did with Bastion while still bringing something unique to the table. Hope they pull it off.

Polygon

Unlike Bastion, the combat in Transistor takes a more turn-based, strategic approach. Pressing right trigger pauses the action, allowing you to map out a sequence of moves for Red to make. Move in front of a row of enemies, hold B to line up an attack and press RT to execute the string of commands. Later enemies required stacked commands — using a dash ability to get behind the enemy before attacking him — hinting at a strategic complexity absent in the studio's earlier game.​
ibNApJxWvdJpy.gif

I guessed right in there being more strategy.

When asked if Transistor — with its more strategic combat system — was developed with touch-screen devices in mind, Kasavin replied, "We certainly hope that that style of play will be conducive to different platforms. It wasn't necessarily at the forefront of why we chose to go this gameplay direction, but it's sort of a pleasant side effect hopefully."​

I could see Transistor doing really well on mobile platforms. What other high-profile turn based strategy mobile games are there other than Skulls of the Shogun?

Female character:
"For us it was the right creative decision for this game. Because our characters are a reflection of the world that they come from and the aesthetic of the world. In Bastion, you get this scrappy hard-living kid who's drinking spirits in the distillery, running around and smashing things with a hammer. It's this hard-living frontier world. And here you have this elegant woman, it's a more romanticized world. It felt like the right thing to do.​

Makes sense, the romanticism is certainly present in the trailer.

Zaph

Sounds great. That pausing then plotting movement/attacks sounds like a light version of the combat in Frozen Synapse (which was awesome).

Top Bottom