• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor - From the Makers of Bastion

marrec

Banned
I told myself after I played Bastion:

"Self, that game was not as good as everyone said, but it was still pretty decent. You should buy their next game Day 1."

Here we are self, the fulfillment of the prophesy is upon us.

Yeah, I love everything about this game looks and sounds. Day 1, all versions.

Greg, can you confirm if the protagonist's name is, in fact, "Red" as the text in the trailer implies?

Art looks good, music is good, but not sold on that gameplay. If it's as crazy repetitive as Bastion's combat ended up being...meh. I ended up beating that game just because the narrator's sexy voice. Soooo boring.

And that walking animation...

Tunavi

Banned
This reminds me, I played bastion for about 20 minutes and didn't like it, but I'll try again. These art style looks great

I'm surprised some of you weren't drawn in by Bastion's gameplay. I'm trying to think of an action-RPG with deeper combat, and offhand, there's only a few. Mount & Blade, Souls, the Tales games...what else?

Bastion removed all of the redundancy and extra useless crunk that encumbers most action-RPG systems. Each weapon was completely unique, each modifier to each weapon was meaningful, and the combat itself was based heavily on careful timing and positioning. It's a different focus from the shallow lootgrind that dominates most action-RPGs, and you're not going to get the depth of something like Devil May Cry, but it's absolutely top-tier gameplay for its level of complexity.

If Transistor is Bastion with new graphics, weapons and combat encounters, I'd be in Day 1. As it is, I'm sure Supergiant's going to do a lot more than that.
Yeah in completely baffled by how people could say bastion was repetitive. Did they not try different loadouts? Not only that but the stages each presented new challenges most of the time, and if they didn't they were fairly short and sweet. The game was perfectly paced and didn't over stay its welcome at all. To each their own I suppose, but I just don't get it.

Velkyn

Looks really awesome. As others said, I really hope the song is representative of the other songs on the soundtrack. I can't speak to how the game plays until I try it this weekend, (assuming there isn't a 3 hour line at the booth), so I'll withhold judgement until then.

Pretty hyped. :D

cdevl

Loved the art and the song was great.

The main character design seems to follow Cloud (FF7) too closely - motorcycle and a wide bladed sword. Maybe that was the intention. I wouldn't mind anyway since I loved FF7. And anything from Bastion creator - goes into my shopping cart. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Greg,

I know you haven't announced a publisher yet. Can you give an indication of whether or not you guys are releasing this independently or are pursuing a publishing relationship but just can't talk about it yet because of some barrier to doing so?

Best of luck with the PAX demos and the rest of development.

xptoxyz

Thanks man! That is a song written for this game. The main character is a singer so it's one of her own songs.

Does this mean the character will be voiced by Ashley Barrett? Keeping with the silent protagonist? I understand if these are details that can't be revealed.

Keasar

More cyberpunk? Count me in! Have been wanting to see a new game from Supergiant now for a while. Sadly I don't think the Narrator is making a return. :(

kasavin

I know you haven't announced a publisher yet. Can you give an indication of whether or not you guys are releasing this independently or are pursuing a publishing relationship but just can't talk about it yet because of some barrier to doing so?

Too early to say. We just announced the game -- you found out about it same time as everyone else...!

Didn't play Bastion, heard mixed things and wasn't that interested anyway.

This... looks interesting to me.

Doesn't get much better than cyberpunk or deco for me. This is both.

Kaldea

Awesome! My nickname is Red and I dye my hair color pretty close to that. This looks gorgeous. Gonna be a long wait! :D

MoeB

Looks fantastic. However... to me, the use of a heroine seems so contrived. Call me crazy but I think they're using a female lead character in order to win the hearts of the the feminist twitter crowd. After all, the success of indie titles is heavily dependent on the word of mouth through social networks.

MCD

Looks fantastic. However... to me, the use of a heroine seems so contrived. Call me crazy but I think they're using a female lead character in order to win the hearts of the the feminist twitter crowd. After all, the success of indie titles is heavily dependent on the word of mouth through social networks.

I think you are way too much into this shit.

It's a vidya game, just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm just going to assume this post was satirical, so that I can get on with my day.

Do we really know enough about this project to make this kind of determination? You're acting like this game is being financed by Pinterest.

I'm just going to assume this post was satirical, so that I can get on with my day.

Yeah, I maybe I should have, too.

Qblivion

tumblr_inline_mi28ebQRGC1qz4rgp.gif

DJ_Lae

Looks amazing.

If they offer another collector's deal or signed soundtrack or whatever I'll jump all over that like I did with Bastion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great!

I'm loving this Cyberpunk revival.

ViviOggi

I hope she doesn't kiss a man, ew.

jph139

I'll echo the gameplay wary-ness. I didn't mind it as much as some people (in fact I enjoyed it all the way through), but I definitely didn't think there was enough depth for a second playthrough, nevermind a second game. So jury's out there.

But the look, feel, sound, sensibility - all looks up to snuff. So I'm on board.

kasavin

Does this mean the character will be voiced by Ashley Barrett? Keeping with the silent protagonist? I understand if these are details that can't be revealed.

Yeah, aspects of this will become clearer from the playable thing we have at PAX.

Arde5643

Oh man, I keep looping the trailer - fantastic eye-candy and ear-candy combined together.

I think Ashley Barrett is definitely geared towards more of this type of jazzy tunes (mixed with a bit of trance). So gooood - already liking this song much more than Bastion's "Build That Wall".

Top Bottom