• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor - From the Makers of Bastion

You know nothing about the game. How can you even make that judgement call.

Some people on GAF man...I swear.

i know as much as the people claiming it looks great.

Gameplay looks just like Bastion. Bastion wasn't very fun. It looked pretty. This looks pretty. Seems like Bastion with a different art style to make sure people overlook the fact it's a cookie cutter sequel.

Mesoian

What do people dislike about the combat in Bastion? It's not deep like a Bayonetta or DMC, but the controls were responsive as hell, the weapons were all very different and viable, and it got pretty crazy once you turned on all the tonics. Playing those challenge rooms with all the optional difficulties on was fantastic in my opinion.

Can't wait for this.

I was wondering that myself, I thought Bastion played fantastically. It was flawless on 360 and, once you unlock the frame rate, was flawless on PC as well. I'm always amazed when people say they stopped playing after the "first boss" when they don't have access to 90% of the weapons or abilities in the game. Mindboggling.

Gameplay looks just like Bastion. Bastion wasn't very fun. It looked pretty. This looks pretty. Seems like Bastion with a different art style to make sure people overlook the fact it's a cookie cutter sequel.

I'll take a cookie cutter sequel to the best game on 360 in 2011. Take it and like it, and then ask for more.

Considering how small their studio is, and I'm assuming this is still the case, I wouldn't expect to see it on any more than 2 platforms at release. PC / New Xbox would be my guess.

Suppose it depends on whether they're interested in self-publishing or not. I think if they get a publisher they go 720, with PS4 otherwise. I think mobile/browser stuff would come later, actually.

PC at launch should be a given, though.

Fabrik

Banned
Wake me up in 2014.
Nice artstyle nonetheless. Character seem too slow already. At first sight, seem a bit too similar to Bastion which I didn't play because I found the demo boring.

Visually it looks stunning. But it looks like it plays similar to Bastion...which was solid enough but I was hoping for a new and improved combat/traversal/movement system. Still, Day 1.

Pretty much how I feel. Loved Bastion though so this is a day one.

Music was great too

CorySchmitz

What do people dislike about the combat in Bastion? It's not deep like a Bayonetta or DMC, but the controls were responsive as hell, the weapons were all very different and viable, and it got pretty crazy once you turned on all the tonics. Playing those challenge rooms with all the optional difficulties on was fantastic in my opinion.

Can't wait for this.

I have no idea why I didn't like Bastion. I feel bad about it. It was very pretty, I guess I just wasn't having fun?

This looks cool though.

DaBuddaDa

Great art, but very rough animation as of now, and I'm not particularly excited about how it looks to play like a re-skinned Bastion. I thought Supergiant was going to do something entirely different from Bastion.

Regardless, day 1 if it's on either iPad or PC.

Am I dreaming ? Am I seriously dreaming this right ?

I can't believe it. Submarine mode. If this game is half Bastion was, then it's already Goty 2014.

Cool, I guess...but 2014? Damn, talk to me at the end of the year. I'll forget the name of this within a week if its release isn't imminent.

Seems like there's a focus mode or dual vision type thing for more strategy?
ibNApJxWvdJpy.gif

I love 2D silhuoettes in games
ilmogCV63ZHqc.gif

ViviOggi

Can't wait for this.

Completely agreed, I especially loved how smoothly you could adjust the difficulty via the idols and tonics. The upgrade system is the only thing were I would like to see a little more depth.

Also, while the mechanical similarities are striking from what we can tell this early, it doesn't look like a Bastion clone to me. I'm seeing hints of a cover system of some sort and more emphasis on flashy ranged combat.

Li Kao

A remarkable trailer.
Aesthetic, music, splendid.

I just have my doubts about the FF7-styled sword and the apparent slowness of the protagonist. And with that grid picture I would have loved a turn by turn combat system, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Day 1 if the infos about the game continue on that trend.

Can't wait for this.

I think the problem is that the combat wasn't very deep. If I recall correctly, you could only have two weapons at a time, so there wasn't a lot of decision making; the challenge mostly came from maneuvering, which I found repetitive as the game went on. Upping the difficulty via tonics made it more challenging but not in a compelling way.

Really? I thought both Zia's and Zulf's themes were fantastic, especially when combined in the end theme.

Mesoian

I liked the music until the shitty 'amen, brother' drum sample kicked in and ruined it.

I will admit, that drum sample could be reworked. And some of the end vocals could stand to be cleaned up a little bit. but if that's the direction they're taking the music, a heavy acid jazz tone, this game was made for me.

There's a difference between saying what has been show looks cool so far and calling the game a cookie cutter sequel.
What you're doing is assuming its going to play like bastion without knowing any of the details of the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That trailer looks lovely but I hope I like it more as an actual game compared to Bastion. Bastion had so many great things about it (I loooooved the narrator) but I found the combat really unsatisfying as there was no really satisfying 'crunch' to it. That sounds silly but I guess the best comparison I can make is, off the top of my head, Diablo 3. Purely from a combat standpoint there's a real satisfaction/crunchiness when killing things in that. Bastion was far too lightweight, floaty and a bit dull for me which led to me getting bored very quickly. I really wish I liked it more than I eventually did but alas.....

Trailer music is lovely as well, need an mp3!

Yasae

Banned
Looks nice, but yes... Too familiar and that music was an enormous turnoff. Why is it so jarring? You have a startlingly real performance in a cyberpunk game. Those two elements don't fit. Even aside from that I didn't like it.

And Bastion's OST I didn't like much either. There aren't any melodies. There's nothing to remember. Because of that, it never says anything. When you're writing instrumental music, you've got to make statements with the notes you choose. I hear a lot of 1 bar riffs. That's fine for a rap record, but it doesn't do much for a whole album of game music.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Seems like there's a focus mode or dual vision type thing for more strategy?
ibNApJxWvdJpy.gif

I love 2D silhuoettes in games
ilmogCV63ZHqc.gif

Looking at that first gif more closely makes me a little worried this is being designed as an iPad game. Kind of reeks of touch controls to me....

This screams iOS. Seriously. Look at the controls - what looks like line-drawing - in some of the clips. iOS. Maybe WiiU? But definitely iOS.

Dipswitch

Looks decent. The running animation of the main character looks pretty bad though. Had me thinking 'Ugggghh' every time it popped up in the video.

I think the problem is that the combat wasn't very deep. If I recall correctly, you could only have two weapons at a time, so there wasn't a lot of decision making; the challenge mostly came from maneuvering, which I found repetitive as the game went on. Upping the difficulty via tonics made it more challenging but not in a compelling way.

Really? I thought both Zia's and Zulf's themes were fantastic, especially when combined in the end theme.

How is the limitation of only two weapons at a time (+special ability) not involved decision making? Each weapon played completely differently from the last and your choice of loadout made for completely different playstyles. not only that but you then had upgrades for the weapons that changed things up even further. So there was plenty of decision making to do in bastion.

Top Bottom