• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor - From the Makers of Bastion

CorySchmitz

The setting is 100% awesome/sign me up.

Down for all these dark futuristic settings games are starting to use these days.

FloatOn

Can't wait for the combat. The combat in Bastion was great in that you could have any weapon combo and it'd be as legitimate an optimal strategy as anything else.

Yes. Exactly. Every weapon was so satisfying to use and leveling them up and also your character was a great way to keep things fresh.

Also, I never knew sniping in a top down action rpg was possible.

This looks great too.

Cartman86

Banned
Whether it takes place in the Bastion universe or not I feel like this is one of those ways you can reinvent sequels. God of War would benefit from something like this.

Man, that music was gorgeous.

Why don't more developers use music with strong vocals? Bastion is one of the few games that did, and the effect was amazing.

Can't wait for the combat. The combat in Bastion was great in that you could have any weapon combo and it'd be as legitimate an optimal strategy as anything else.

what was there was done well but it went on too long. I got really sick of it by the end, and I fond it got in the way of the experience. At some point, there wasn't enough variety, and you stopped learning things, so it started to drag.

Quentyn

That looks amazing. Loved Bastion.

Some more details from their website:

We are very, very excited to reveal today a new game we’ve been working on here at Supergiant, a science-fiction-themed action RPG we’re calling Transistor. We’ll have an early build playable this week at PAX East at our booth #892, and right now, we have our reveal trailer! Check it out and read on.

Transistor invites players to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as they explore a stunning futuristic city. We’re designing our next game to seamlessly integrate thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience, complete with our studio’s signature melding of responsive gameplay and rich atmospheric storytelling. All of us from the Bastion development team are working together again on this new project, with the aid of a handful of talented new people who’ve joined us since Bastion’s launch.

In Transistor, players assume the role of a young woman who gains control of a powerful weapon after a mysterious group of assailants nearly kills her with it. Now she must fight from street to street against forces that will stop at nothing to recover the weapon. During the course of the adventure, players will piece together the Transistor’s mysteries as they pursue its former owners.
We expect Transistor to be released in early 2014. We have not yet decided on which platform or platforms the game will be available for.

http://supergiantgames.com/?p=1816

Hmm... It looks okay but I'm not too impressed. Coming from someone who absolutely love Bastion and view it as one of the top 20 games, I'm a tad unimpressed. They've obviously taken inspiration from Bastion and I appreciate what they're doing: rather than just making a direct sequel to Bastion they're making something both similar and new. Hopefully it'll turn out good. And hopefully it'll be available on consoles.

Is that Triss Merigold?

Tymerend

I'll end up buying three copies of this one, too, I'm sure.

If the soundtrack is anywhere near the quality of Bastion's, I'll pony up for a couple of those, as well.

Supergiants site is going down like a 2 dollar hooker.

It looks like there's some kind of tactical planning phase in the combat, I wonder how that will work out?

I can't stop watching the trailer; the art is too good. I'm already sold on the game even if the mechanics are as ho-hum as Bastion.

No platform announced? This is going to be fun.

"We have not yet decided on which platform or platforms the game will be available for."

Sure they have.

Bastion was the same way wasnt it?

They didnt really commit to anything until WB came in to publish it.

They are probably still working on a publisher deal to get on XBLA or mulling over self publishing on Steam / PSN / mobile.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Sold! Without even watching the trailer or hearing anything else, I know I'll want this. Damn, sounds like this year's PAX East is gonna be crazy!

sixghost

What do people dislike about the combat in Bastion? It's not deep like a Bayonetta or DMC, but the controls were responsive as hell, the weapons were all very different and viable, and it got pretty crazy once you turned on all the tonics. Playing those challenge rooms with all the optional difficulties on was fantastic in my opinion.

Can't wait for this.

Looking forward to this. Bastion was a pretty good and I hope they learned from their (minor) mistakes there.

As expected though, music and visuals are stunning.

Top Bottom