• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

CorvoSol

Ah, sorry. I tried to cover the big stuff, but I'll go back and mark the whole thing, just to be safe.

As to
the names in the canisters,
I didn't really get a good enough look at them, but that would make sense.

Almost got all the trophies now. Game is such a blast. I inexplicably stopped playing after a few hours but now I can't get enough. Oddly, exactly the same thing happened with Bastion lol

I think I've stumbled on the most insane combination now. Void + Get/Disruption with bomb and stealth. Damage output is bananas.

Almost got all the trophies now. Game is such a blast. I inexplicably stopped playing after a few hours but now I can't get enough. Oddly, exactly the same thing happened with Bastion lol.
I did the same with Bastion, but completed Transistor pretty quickly.
I think about an year passed before I finished Bastion though XD

Plat()!

Really enjoyed the game but I'd be lying if I said I had a good understanding of what transpired in the game. I feel like Bastion was a lot more straight forward although I found the setting and whatnot was a lot more interesting in this game. Could have been slightly less vague.

lt519

Anyone have advice for the Performance tests? I played the 5th one last night and made it to wave 7ish, but lost my Cull() and couldn't take down the Stealthy Man(). Last thing before Plat() is to finish all these tests.

The second play through was jokingly easy after learning the ins and outs of the game. Still a blast though. Getting the 10 limiter trophy was certainly interesting but entirely manageable after finding some good combinations.

Edit: Finished off that challenge and the next. I ended up going with Ping: Jaunt + Bounce and then Bounce: Crash with everything else passive (Mask, Help). It turned into a twin stick shooter with Ping and when I finally pinned all them on one side, I'd creep over, get them to appear and user Turn() to hit them with two bounces and run away. Then unload with ping while they were stunned. One more challenge for plat(), didn't get to attempt it, but shouldn't be too bad unless they do fetches and mans!

Edit 2: Woohoo! Plat(). Challenge 7 was a piece of cake, sadly I think I am just getting the hang of all the different combinations as I've completed the game. Getting Ping: Jaunt is huge for any of the arenas. Being able to hold the Man at bay is huge. Cull or Switch are also practically musts with the Fetch enemies, you need to take them out quick before they do too much damage or convert them to your side. Too bad they didn't have an online Agent arena with random traits each person gets to choose from. That'd be really fun and strategic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I recently bought a PS4, and this was my first game. I'm really adoring it, so far. I just finished the back-door room with the third speed test.

• I must have spent an hour on the second speed test alone. I never really figured out a good way of dealing with the Young Lady. In hindsight, I assume the slash has an upgrade which stunned them and made them vulnerable to the orbs?
  • Is there a way of bringing up my move-set during a challenge like that to confirm the abilities I have active? I know there is during performance tests, obviously.

Bumping this to let people know I'm an idiot for putting this game on the backburner for so long.

Goddamn. Loved it.

So much reading to do now to try and make sense of all the little things that confused me.

Uthred

Picked this up, finished it in one sitting, great experience (if a little short). I do think it was possibly too obscure for its own good, but thats a minor niggle.

Christmas wallpaper from SGG!

iMSn7bTrMSiOb.jpg

Finalow

finished it a couple of hours ago. I was expecting a good game from those devs and I got it. I especially liked the ending and the art style, game looks great. I think I made 30-40 screenshots during just the first run.
the functions give you a lot of freedom and room for experiments, even more now in NG+, I'm enjoying that.

I'm going for the platinum and those performance tests seem the most annoying thing to do,
last one has 16 waves? Fuck that. :(
any tips for those tests?

Finalow

y this thread is dead.

if anyone is interested, I found this combo to be pretty op, Jaunt(Spark(), Load()) + Void(Crash(), Spark()). it makes you a powerhouse that kills everything. for single bosses there might be more damage oriented builds (double mask is quite broken as well, 250% boost in damage) but this works too.
I still had problems with 10 limiters but I suppose that's normal. I also tried a combo with Bounce(Crash(), Tap()) but honestly it doesn't work too well.

Exentryk

Just finished platinuming the game. Combat is so much fun!

Here is my setup at the end of it all:

Mask (Ping)
Tap (Get | Breach)
Void (Spark | Purge)
Jaunt (Spark | Purge)

Passives:
Mask (Saves from Hairnets even if you blast them at point blank range)
Crash (25% less damage taken is total win)
Void (25% more damage dealt is also total win)
Get (Gather cells easily)

32 Memory
7 limiters

(Unused = Resilience [shielded cell], Responsibility [-6 MEM], Permanance [Overload at Access Points])
Note: I played most of the game with 7 limiters on. The last three were only added to get the respective trophy.

Strategy:
- Use Turn()
- Jaunt x1 or x2 as required to get in range of target/s.
- Void x2 (325% debuff)
- Tap x1 (700-1500+ per hit)

After the turn, you can use Mask to hide while Turn fills up. Or just Jaunt around firing 5x Sparks and 5x Purges with each Jaunt, until the Turn fills up.
Tap's damage with Get depends on how far you are from the enemy (further you are, more damage you do). And there is enough turn time to cast Tap twice, so even 3000 damage is not out of reach. And not to mention, there is room to add Mask before Tap (in the Turn) for even more damage.

Siegmeyer

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there a guide out there somewhere that helps explain the basics? I'm only about 45 mins in and I've grasped how the combat can be as much of a mix of real-time and turn-based as you want it to be, but not much else. What are these things that you get after each battle? What does Flourish do? The upgrade options are a little overwhelming right now also.

People say the Souls games are obtuse, but this game takes it to another level. Still having fun with it though, and goddamn is it gorgeous to look at.

xrnzaaas

I just finished the game for the first time. It was good (not the best indie I played on a PS4) - I enjoyed the graphics, the combat system and the commentary. It was way too short imo and I'm almost never interested in NG+.

I got a corrupted save message after a hard crash. Was 4-5 hours into the game, right after
I killed the spine
. Really sucks, I was really beginning to like it, but I can't be bothered to start again.

I'm on PS4 btw and I it has nothing to do with Error CE-34878-0. It's the first time that happens to any of my games.

foxdvd

I love this game. Does anyone know of any other game with combat like this? I know there have been many games where you can pause and plan out your attacks, but this was done so well and letting you actually play out those plans before the game continues was a blast.

I also don't think there will ever be any dlc on this, especially actual story dlc, but I honestly would spend money on more challenges or even a horde/endless mode. The challenges were a lot of fun, and I would love more.

Finished this last night. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as Bastion but it was still really great. After being a little confused by the combat at first it turned out to be really rewarding. Supergiant are a great developer. I'm going to try and get the Plat now.

Ricker

Playing a bit more of this lately,still on and off though but last night was going well,then I start getting the upgrade of Limiters ,so I installed them but later on I died and I had a screen asking me for a retry with or without Limiters...? so Limiters make the game harder if you use them or not...?

IKizzLE

My take on the whole thing (MASSIVE SPOILERS):

Cloudbank is a twist on the old trope of the "city in the clouds". Cloudbank is a virtual world, a city in the cloud.

When a person joins (or is born into, this part is not clear) Cloudbank, they are prompted to make two selections. These selections are not unlike the character creation seen in RPG. You choose two attributes for yourself that you want to specialize in and improve. These selections, alongside the user's consciousness creates their trace. Their link to the world of Cloudbank.

These selections give access to functions to the individual. Treat it as the API calls to the world of Cloudbank. It is no coincidence that Red's function is crush(), which makes its targets more vulnerable. It is the same function which made her singing so effective. The transistor is the unconditional access to those API calls and allowed access to those functions in their pure form.

So what is the transistor? Where did it come from? Royce in the later parts of the game described that it required a lot of math to uncover the transistor. The likely answer is that it is a piece of reverse engineered code that allows greater access to the underpinnings of Cloudbank. As the name implies, a transistor controls the flow of information. This is gets to us to the goals of the Camerata.

The city of Cloudbank is autonomous. There is no longer a single driving force behind the city and instead, it maintains its relevance through a voting system amongst the populace. The game's trailer opens up with saying everyone has a voice in the Cloudbank. This voice is the voting mechanism that allows changing every facet of the city. Unfortunately, these continuous petitions created mediocrity through majority and prevented any real, interesting change in the city. As Red's lover once remarked, the weather is always mild and nonoffensive. As the longest-running administrator of the city, Grant realized the hopeless of his position. This staleness is what the Camerata hopes to overcome. When everything changes, nothing changes.

Their first step is to take away control away from the citizens of Cloudbank. To take away their voice. This theft is embodied in Red's literal loss of her own voice. Her voice and those of many others is now trapped in the transistor. The true agent of change left in Cloudbank. And coincidentally, the only voice we really hear during our play through.

The Camerata's plan falls apart once Grant loses control over the transistor and the custodian's of Process are left without direction. Up till now, the populace gave purpose for the Process and so they interpret that void as the desire for nothing. The Process begins to transform Cloudbank into a blank slate in the hopes that it will be given direction once more. As Red plows through their ranks, the Process become more and more obsessed with Red (evident in the later parts of the game). She is all they have left to give them any real meaning.

As Cloudbank becomes a shapeless mass its users evacuate. They log off and go to "the country". There is no returning to Cloudbank. It is directly said that logging off even in ideal circumstances is a one-way trip, but now there is no point of returning. The millions of people who made the simulation feel real are now gone and to never return. So when Red gains complete control of Cloudbank and gains root status, there is nothing left for her. Cloudbank is dead and Red's lover is trapped inside the transistor. He cannot log off and will likely last as long as his mortal body will allow.

Red does not want to face the shock of entering the real world alone, nor does she want her lover to be abandoned. So she leaves the Cloudbank through "suicide" and joins her lover inside the transistor. As this point, there is a ambiguity to what happens. It appears that Red's root status transferred inside the transistor. After all, the cloudscape of the transistor now has form. There is ground and most importantly, Red and her lover have form. If Red has such capability, it is not outlandish to presume that she also had the power to log her lover and herself out of the transistor. Perhaps that last image is them out in country and reveals a happy ending.

Just finished the game twice and your explanation is AMAZING!
Kudos!

This game is cool. I love how it encourages/forces you so much to experiment with different skill combinations by taking away your active functions when you run out of health, and then there's the challenge rooms. There are so many useful things I probably wouldn't have come across if it weren't for those factors.

I'm pretty sure i'm near the end of the game, and I barely know what's going on. I was never good at keeping up with this kind of story telling.

I just bought this on my laptop. It's way trickier than I thought it would be. Those Jerks keep beating me up. I'm also playing without a mouse, so that probably doesn't help. Any hints/tips to make my life easier during encounters? I just figured out I should probably use cover.

Drakken

Finally started this for the first time tonight (despite loving Bastion and having owned this for awhile). I'm in the Highrise, a little ways past Red's place. Enjoying it so far. However, I just idiotically passed up my first chance at a mem upgrade for an additional passive slot. Which, I can't use, because my mem is maxed out. Derp.

Anyway - will I get that option again the next time I level up, or will I have to wait x number of levels from now (or is it random)?

I just bought this on my laptop. It's way trickier than I thought it would be. Those Jerks keep beating me up. I'm also playing without a mouse, so that probably doesn't help. Any hints/tips to make my life easier during encounters? I just figured out I should probably use cover.
Well, using cover effectively would be one of them :p I suggest also trying all the command you get (which you'll start getting soon enough) and experiment before activating your turn. Try out how many attacks you can fit depending on where you're on the map for example. In general experimentation in this game will usually lead to some interesting results :D

Finally started this for the first time tonight (despite loving Bastion and having owned this for awhile). I'm in the Highrise, a little ways past Red's place. Enjoying it so far. However, I just idiotically passed up my first chance at a mem upgrade for an additional passive slot. Which, I can't use, because my mem is maxed out. Derp.

Anyway - will I get that option again the next time I level up, or will I have to wait x number of levels from now (or is it random)?
I don't remember exactly, but I believe you get (after a bit at least) three choices every level, one each for command, passive ability (like mem up or extra slots) and the last one whose name I forgot. I believe you do get them every level, but it's been a while since I played. Either way, you'll end up maxxing everything out most likely by the end of this playthrough.

Top Bottom