• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor Review Thread

Macmanus

It is possibly just me, but I don't want to read long form text in a game and I have a PhD in literature.

Although I feel this is a valid concern, do you think that your disdain might stem from how poor most game text can be - especially in contrast to having a PhD in literature?

Personally I'd think it would be a shame pigeonhole an entire medium simply because it's ubiquitous name features video in the title, when in reality it's simply interactive entertainment. I dread the thought of potentially missing out on experiences like Kentucky Route Zero or Dear Esther because they feature text, lack game mechanics, etc.

rezn0r

sounds awesome. if i wasn't in the middle of 80 other things right now i'd be grabbing it on ps4 tonight. definitely after i clear up a few others.

BashNasty

Quarter to Three is a garbage site with poor reviews, so I don't value their opinions. Other than that, the scores are looking really good.

Why is Qt3 a garbage site with poor reviews? Because you often don't agree with them? Tom Chick uses the full scale and always lays out exactly why he feels as he does about a game in well-written reviews. He's given great scores to AAA games. He has an opinion which he is not afraid to share, and that's massively refreshing.

I realize that most people have deep insecurities about their own opinions and because of this are quick to dismiss anything that does not resonate well in their own echo chamber, however this does not make sites "garbage".

rnaud

Although I feel this is a valid concern, do you think that your disdain might stem from how poor most game text can be - especially in contrast to having a PhD in literature?

Personally I'd think it would be a shame pigeonhole an entire medium simply because it's ubiquitous name features video in the title, when in reality it's simply interactive entertainment. I dread the thought of potentially missing out on experiences like Kentucky Route Zero or Dear Esther because they feature text, lack game mechanics, etc.

For me it might also be the distance. I don't want to read too much stuff on my TV.
I loved Device 6 on iPad, the game is basically a book, but the distance from the screen felt more normal.

Macmanus

For me it might also be the distance. I don't want to read too much stuff on my TV.
I loved Device 6 on iPad, the game is basically a book, but the distance from the screen felt more normal.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I'm still very much an at desk PC Gamer that cut his teeth on games like Planescape, so reading text isn't quite that much of a chore unless the text itself is awful - which is more often than not.

Nabs

I'm tempted to just buy this now. I wanted to spend my GMG credit on this, but I might not be that strong.

Are you guys for real? This is a review thread, people are reading it, looking for information about the game. Get over yourselves.

It's funny because Grief was just being helpful. All they could do is attack him.

Authority

Banned
Polygons Transistor review is getting the heat.

SnarkasticGamer

Just seems odd coming off Yesterday’s Wolfenstein review, which had at least one thing arthur didn’t like (frustrating boss fights) and that game scored higher (9). Yet Transistor’s review, without mentioning any negative drawbacks, gets an 8.5.

Your statement makes sense, but your reviews are inconsistent in that regard.

Read more - http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/20/5714244/transistor-review-a-girl-and-her-sword

I honestly think someone should make a thread regarding Polygons Scoring System. This is not the first time and it is a shame because generally the content is top notch but the scoring system is dubious.

icespide

Banned
Polygons Transistor review is getting the heat.

Read more - http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/20/5714244/transistor-review-a-girl-and-her-sword

I honestly think someone should make a thread regarding Polygons Scoring System. This is not the first time and it is a shame because generally the content is top notch but the scoring system is dubious.

tumblr_mtktivYljj1rvy1kqo1_400.gif

Trey

Raven77

I can't read reviews at work and I can't seem to find the question answered here so apologies if it's been answered.

How long is the game? If you don't rush through that is.

People really need to put this "if there's nothing negative to say, it has to be a perfect score!" mentality to rest.

There are plenty of things I have nothing really negative to say about that I'd rate lower than things I adore and have a few problems with. Reviews don't start as 10s and lose points based on negatives.

Authority

Banned
you mean two different reviewers have two different opinions on two different games? How can this be?

No I mean reading a review that is superpositive which makes everyone expecting a score 9+ only to get slapped by a -1.5 and without justification. But thanks for your insight. I will keep a note of it in case.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Definitely picking this up, just have to wait till payday next weeks. The reviews sound pretty awesome, and that 2/5, I would expect to be a somewhat poor game for a 2/5 but everyone else seems to like it much more, there's always one.

Trey

No I mean reading a review that is superpositive which makes everyone expecting a score 9+ only to get slapped by a -1.5 and without justification.

That's your problem, not the reviewer's. She appended a score at the end that she felt was representative of her review. You take all of that information together and hopefully it informs you of that person's taste as well as the game. What does a different review by a different reviewer of a different game have to do with anything? Why is Gies' tone and score the standard by which Ms. Reindeau must be measured?

Well I have never been one to pick up RPGs, I can probably count on one hand the number I've played (including Zelda games) but I think I'll get this on the strength of the reviews alone.

Seda

No I mean reading a review that is superpositive which makes everyone expecting a score 9+ only to get slapped by a -1.5 and without justification. But thanks for your insight. I will keep a note of it in case.

If the text is super positive and tells you about the game and why the reviewer enjoyed it, just ignore the score. Perhaps an 8.5 is a score befitting of a very good game in Danielle's mindset.

Anyways, best not to focus on the least interesting part of the review.

cackhyena

That's on you. That she has so much to say to the good of the game is what a person interested should be focusing on. Not the numbers.

An 8.5 is only bad if you think all games automatically get a 10 and are then marked down for each individual "flaw."

This is, of course, an utterly demented way of thinking.

Polygon gave the game a great score. If it's not good enough for you, you are officially spoiled.

Dragon

Banned
Hmm Sounds like one of the problems i had with ALBTW, yet lots of people didn't seems to care much about that :/
Wish there was a demo so i can try it out before buying it.

People praise that game so much even though it's a remake of another game. Kinda strange how much praise it gets for being such a similar game.

An 8.5 is only bad if you think all games automatically get a 10 and are then marked down for each individual "flaw."

Polygon gave the game a great score. If it's not good enough for you, you are officially spoiled.

I agree. Polygon sucks but not because of that.

Authority

Banned
That's your problem, not the reviewer's. She appended a score at the end that she felt was representative of her review. You take all of that information together and hopefully it informs you of that person's taste as well as the game. What does a different review by a different reviewer of a different game have to do with anything? Why is Gies' tone and score the standard by which Ms. Reindeau must be measured?

That's your problem, not the reviewer's. She appended a score at the end that she felt was representative of her review. You take all of that information together and hopefully it informs you of that person's taste as well as the game. What does a different review by a different reviewer of a different game have to do with anything? Why is Gies' tone and score the bar by which Ms. Reindeau must be measured?

One review put a score and provided with reason, his reason on what is missing.

The other reviewer did not.

If the text is super positive and tells you about the game and why the reviewer enjoyed it, just ignore the score. Perhaps an 8.5 is a score befitting of a very good game in Danielle's mindset.

Anyways, best not to focus on the least interesting part of the review.

She should have been more transparent.

This is not about whether Transistor deserves what score. It is about the review lacking the criticism to justify that score.

Stop making assumptions for the sake of making assumptions or to post your sarcasm or to post pictures.

I never said 8.5 is not a good score. Read or next time ask, even better.

Eusis

Yeah, games have to work upwards, not avoid falling down if that makes sense. The only way this sort of "it's 10/10 if there aren't problems!" logic works is if you're ONLY reviewing a game technically, IE how well it runs or how bug-free it is, and that's not what we want reviews for and it's not going to work out great without also having the code in front of the reviewer and that they understand it. And that sounds more like something for the developers to do internally, not for a public publication.

This is not about whether Transistor deserves what score. It is about the review lacking the criticism to justify that score.

Stop making assumptions for the sake of making assumptions or to post your sarcasm or to post pictures.

I never said 8.5 is not a good score. Read.
I already responded to that. You assume games start at 10 and get downgraded for flaws. No. A game with a score of eight might not have criticisms worth mentioning, but they still may lack the special something required for a 9 or 10.

Believe it or not, games that get nines and tens really ought to be special.

Trey

Yeah, games have to work upwards, not avoid falling down if that makes sense. The only way this sort of "it's 10/10 if there aren't problems!" logic works is if you're ONLY reviewing a game technically, IE how well it runs or how bug-free it is, and that's not what we want reviews for and it's not going to work out great without also having the code in front of the reviewer and that they understand it. And that sounds more like something for the developers to do internally, not for a public publication.

Technically it makes no sense either, because a game could always have more polygons, more average frames per second, higher resolution.

Reviews aren't in the objectivity business - at least not how some people seem to think.

Agreed. However, I've seen too many reviews use this exact method of marking down. So I can understand why some gamer think this way too.

Eusis

Technically it makes no sense either, because a game could always have more polygons, more average frames per second, higher resolution.

Reviews aren't in the objectivity business - at least not how some people seem to think.
This is part of why it'd only work with the code in front of them, like someone grading a piece of work based on how much more it can be improved. So reviewing it more like a math test rather than a creative work, which in contrast you can find nothing particularly wrong with it but not give it perfect marks "just because." Maybe you CAN put it into words, but maybe it's more like it just didn't really hook you in crazy well even if it didn't do anything extremely off putting like have janky mechanics or really dumb story moments.

lol this turned into another Polygon thread?

This is the kind of stuff Polygon wants. If people hate it so much why continually give them clicks and attention.

Authority

Banned
I already responded to that. You assume games start at 10 and get downgraded for flaws. No. A game with a score of eight might not have criticisms worth mentioning, but they still may lack the special something required for a 9 or 10.

Believe it or not, games that get nines and tens really ought to be special.

When did I assume that? Show me. Please quote me exactly on me saying that scores start from 10 and drop. Seriously drop it.

So -2 or -1.5 scores do not have worthy negatives but -1 does. How is that possible?

"I had a great experience playing Transistor and that is why I am giving it a 8.5 out of 10!"

"I must say Wolfestein story line was not as good as I expected it (i.e) but still deserves 9!"

What.

Reviews are subjective, you try to rationalize after the fact what you felt, and how you responded to an experience, so i can say that something has no great flaws or negative things and still say well is an eight for me because it haven´t provided me with the feeling to be a 9 or whatever, i prefer no scores in the reviews, but is disingenous to think that they are going to disappear, the majority of the people don´t want to bother reading, looking at the score saves time

Einbroch

Banned
When did I assume that? Show me. Please quote me exactly on me saying that scores start from 10 and drop. Seriously drop it.

So -2 or -1.5 scores do not have worthy negatives but -1 does. How is that possible?

"I had a great experience playing Transistor and that is why I am giving it a 8.5 out of 10!"

"I must say Wolfestein story line was not as good as I expected it (i.e) but still deserves 9!"

What.

Because the core gameplay is more enjoyable to you?

Tomb Raider has a bunch of issues but I'd give it a 9/10. Uncharted has fewer issues but I'd give it a 7/10. Why? Fun. Fun is hard to put into words. Reviews are opinions by individuals. Sure, they may come together at the end for some debate, but it's still one person's work.

Top Bottom