• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor Review Thread

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was thinking the same thing lol.

I will get it on PS4. DS4 + TV = definitive edition
DS4 + TV = delayed edition. 3PM Eastern, the far future. Buy it now on Steam. As the coupon code use GiveGriefGrief and get an exclusive Transistor hat.

Maybe you guys could, you know, actually read Tom Chick's review to see why he didn't like Transistor very much while he absolutely loved Bastion?

It's very convenient that he has a written review just sitting there waiting to be read so you can read it instead of making weird assumptions or guesses at what he's thinking.

To keep the experience fresh, I usually don't read reviews on games I've been anticipating. My assumption was more based on that as opposed to purposely not reading it because it was a low score. Still, I wasn't being fair to the author's right to his opinion, and for that I apologize.

hawk2025

If he was he would've mentioned Valve's DRM policy and that your copy of the game will be stuck on PS4 when its successor comes out.

Beyond that, we are still at least 120 minutes away from unlocking the PS4 version.

In case you don't quite understand the concept of time, that's actually quite a long while.

nbthedude

I'm torn on whether to pick this up. I had to force myself to finish Bastion because I found it very shallow in terms of world building and far too linear due to the "construct the world around you in small pathways" gimmick. The levels were little more than pacman mazes. The guns were well balanced and fun but the combat itself was very one note w/ different enemy types requiring very little in the way of different strategic or mechanical approaches. Very little about that game resonated with me except the great western themed music and the artstyle.

And now it's largely the same people who praised Bastion praising this game but at the same time claiming it's entirely different and I don't know what to make of that. Wish there as a demo on Steam.

sjay1994

Hope this isn't port begging, but I would like to try bastion on a PS system. Pre ordered Transistor solely because I missed on Bastion.

BTW the game is up on the mobile PSN store. I just got to it from the PS app and bought it. Didn't click download though because I don't want it to slow down my Wolfenstein DL.

dLMN8R

To keep the experience fresh, I usually don't read reviews on games I've been anticipating. My assumption was more based on that as opposed to purposely not reading it because it was a low score. Still, I wasn't being fair to the author's right to his opinion, and for that I apologize.

Tom Chick has never written a single review that indicates he has "ridiculously high standards" as you guessed, or that sounds like a "troll" as others have done. The only thing for certain here is that people are mad that he doesn't immediately conform his opinion to that which anyone else holds, and certainly not necessarily what your preconceived opinions are before even touching the thing.

Eusis

Dude, I don't get your weird championing of the Steam version. Yes, we know there's a Steam version. We know it's available now.

Some people are getting it on PS4. Relax.
The second quote was specifically about buying a PS4 THEN the game. While I can't deny he's championing Steam pretty strongly it is sort of crazy to buy a $400 machine if you have another that can run the game as well.

Personally, PS4 first (had credit which helped) then PC whenever a mind blowing sale or humble bundle has it. Given how Plus has been I could'v ejust done the inverse, but this way may enable me to own it on both since buying a Humble Bundle's a crazy value.

EDIT: Though it is worth noting that it's common to be able to get stuff before the site properly updates. Would've been funny if Transistor showed up already, though it could still be only an hour or so late rather than multiple hours.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's his library of reviews. He has a history of some really off-base crap.

Edit: I'm not saying his review is definitely wrong here, as I've only played the game at E3, I'm just saying that in general his reviews have a tendency to rile people up.

That's because people are largely braindead when it comes to reviews and spout out whatever bullshit they want when a review disagrees with them. That doesn't make him a troll, that might just mean he has different tastes and finds certain things important that others might ignore. If you don't agree with him in general, toss his reviews aside. But don't tell others to ignore him just because his thoughts don't line up with yours.

Petrie

Banned
I hate what PS+ and Steam sales have done to me. This looks marvelous but I'm having trouble convincing myself to drop 20 on a digital game I know I'll only play through once.

I've been spoiled.

I hate what PS+ and Steam sales have done to me. This looks marvelous but I'm having trouble convincing myself to drop 20 on a digital game I know I'll only play through once.

I've been spoiled.

guybrushandelaine.JPG

Eusis

Yeah, I had a feeling we wouldn't ACTUALLY need to wait until 2 PM, though it was that or we'd be waiting all day. Good to see it's early rather than late, though it seems as if the whole store updated early.

nbthedude

Say what people will about Tom Chick, these bits of his review convinced me to pass because it comprises pretty much my biggest pet peeves about videogames:

The story is convoluted and brimming with extraneous detail, doled out at optional terminals and on unlockable screens you might never see. Names you’ve never heard waft into the game and suddenly one of them is important and you have no idea why. . .. Transistor is the story of a JRPG.Transistor revels in its extraneous text and detail, and it all sounds like noise after a while. Every exit is helpfully labeled to tell you to come closer, but beneath that is a pointless statistic, like a loose thread on a shirt. Is there any reason to read the terminals and wait for their text to unfurl?

There’s no sense of exploration or discovery. If there was a revelation, it was lost on me. There is only a glowing cyber-city, laid out end to end, dropping you back where you began with a few cutscenes along the way. At one point, you encounter a single puzzle that’s not even really a puzzle. There’s a terrible boss battle for a finale, unlike anything you’d done previously. Then there’s an ending that I didn’t understand and therefore didn’t care about, despite the music caring deeply.

Yeah, that shit. No thank indie game inspiring to be a bad JRPG.

Grief.exe

This will be my first game after Dark Souls II, need to ease myself back into other games.

After playing Dark Souls I, I jumped into Assassin's Creed II and I was thoroughly disgusted by it. I remember somewhat enjoying myself at the beginning, but the one button combat and platforming was just mind numbing after ~20 hours.

Zakalwe

Banned
Say what people will about Tom Chick, these bits of his review convinced me to pass because it comprises pretty much my biggest pet peeves about videogames:

Yeah, that shit. No thank indie game inspiring to be a bad JRPG.

So you're just going to take his word for it instead of trying it yourself?

I understand we need filters, but maybe you wouldn't agree with him if you tried it.

Just bugs me when someone quotes a single opinion and says "there, no way am I playing this now! It's obviously terrible because this one person said so!".

nbthedude

This will be my first game after Dark Souls II, need to ease myself back into other games.

After playing Dark Souls I, I jumped into Assassin's Creed II and I was thoroughly disgusted by it. I remember somewhat enjoying myself at the beginning, but the one button combat was just mind numbing after ~20 hours.

And your depending on this game to "ease you back in"? I'm not trying to be coy, but I don't see what is so promising about this game offering the type of depth and combat awareness of Dark Souls 2. I think I'm waiting for Watch Dogs and just hoping the shiny shinies and a (hopefully) decent unique narrative can distract me enough from what is likely to be fairly standard, shallow gameplay.

hawk2025

This thread is turning a bit ugly :(

I suggest we all take a minute to breathe and just talk about how the game is being very well received!

For those not aware, that is equivalent to 60 seconds, or 60 mississippis. It's not really a long while.

:p

nbthedude

So you're just going to take his word for it instead of trying it yourself?

I understand we need filters, but maybe you wouldn't agree with him if you tried it.

Just bugs me when someone quotes a single opinion and says "there, no way am I playing this now! It's obviously terrible because this one person said so!".

Well, if some critic could offer counter points to those objections or demonstrate how they aren't true, I'd be willing to listen. It's just that those particular criticism are very specific and are also very much the kind of things I hate in games. It also does seem to me that the gaming press in general is bit starry eyed for SuperGiant because Greg Kassavan was their buddy and fellow game journalist. I'm not saying it was a bad game but it sure as hell got more of a glowing free ride to amazing press than it should have.

hawk2025

Well, if some critic could offer counter points to those objections or demonstrate how they aren't true, I'd be willing to listen. But it does seem to me that the gaming press in general is all starry eyed for SupeGiant because Greg Kassavan was their buddy. I'm not saying it was a bad game but it sure as hell got more of a glowing free ride to amazing press than it should have.

It's a bit presumptuous to assume that other people are biased based on your personal preferences, no?

Top Bottom