• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasure Island Z (Wii) full page scan

h-668_68471_t08.jpg.jpg

Why am I reminded of Zelda's ocarina / wind baton?

linsivvi

fresquito said:
I like the looks of this game, however it's becoming a little bit annoying that Japanese devs seem to be unable to release games with a character with realistic proportions (except for the awesome, awesome Suda51).

And people wonder why Western games don't sell in Japan, or why Twilight Princess didn't sell a million copies. Perhaps this has something to do with Japanese gamers don't want proportional realistic characters?

Sorry if any of this information is redundant:

-Goal of the game is to clear the riddles from each area and collect barbarossa's parts

-You solve the riddles by using the Wiimote by interacting with items you've gained and things in front of you (in other words, it's all about "How can I use the Wiimote in this situation?")

-Some of the stages where Barbarossa's parts include: A jungle, Hidden Ruins, A Water Shrine, A (something.. can't read the text) with magma running through it

-Seems to encourage players to explore trying to play w/ "no hints". No sure if there's anything you gain from doing this though...

-There are hidden extras such as hidden puzzles and characters throughout each stage

-It's 30% of the way done

There's a bunch of other stuff but those are the main points I thought would be of interest to people on here.

Also, there definitely seems to be a similar tone to the way the creators were talking about this and about what the creators of Professor Layton said - lots of emphasis on everyone being able to enjoy it, even people who have trouble with games (in fact, this is what was being said about Opoona too). Seems like there's a huge push for games to be accessible.

demure

Viceroy Fizzlebottom said:
Sorry if any of this information is redundant:

-Goal of the game is to clear the riddles from each area and collect barbarossa's parts

-Some of the stages where Barbarossa's parts include: A jungle, Hidden Ruins, A Water Shrine, A (something.. can't read the text) with magma running through it

Thanks for that. Sounds like it'll be sectioned off into selectable stages instead of an entire world you can freely roam around in which is quite a disappointment :(

demure said:
Thanks for that. Sounds like it'll be sectioned off into selectable stages instead of an entire world you can freely roam around in which is quite a disappointment :(

Yeah.. from what they said it seemed that within each of these stages there were areas with riddles. But I'm not sure - the stages may all be connected through some overworld linking passages, didn't see anything to say otherwise.

wsippel

Banned
US release confirmed, coming this fall:

Capcom® Announces Project Treasure Island Z (Working Title), a Puzzling New Adventure Exclusively for the Nintendo Wii™

Pillaging Pirate Adventure Challenges Gamers to Play Different

SAN MATEO, Calif – March 16, 2007 Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced its first original title exclusively for the Nintendo Wii, Project Treasure Island Z (Working Title), an innovative, full-length puzzle adventure game that utilizes the unique control mechanics of the Wiimote and challenges gamers to “play different.” Capcom plans to release Project Treasure Island Z (Working Title) this fall.

“Innovation has been the cornerstone of Capcom’s successful history,” said Charles Bellfield, vice president, marketing, Capcom Entertainment. “By introducing a whole new level of interactivity, this title reinforces our commitment to pushing the limits on how people view and play games.”

Legend has it that a revered pirate named Barbaros once stole the world’s treasure and hid it on a mysterious island. Though no one knows of its exact location, stories about the untold riches that lay in wait have been passed down through the ages, driving pirates from all walks of life to pursue the alluring prizes. One of these treasure seekers, a young apprentice pirate named Zack happens upon a mysterious talking skull, the skull of Barbaros himself. Barbaros promises to reveal the key to the island, if Zack will help to lift the curse he is under.

Players will explore a variety of wondrous environments and stages, solving puzzles and interacting with the world in search of vast riches and the ultimate pursuit of becoming the greatest pirate the world has ever seen. Inventive gameplay mechanics and controller movements allow players to move and open objects, transform items, unlock new pathways and navigate through perilous stages based on a variety of themes including a jungle, ice temple, volcanic caves and more, each with their own sub-areas. Players will rotate handles, turn keys to open doors, play a piccolo and much more in order to solve the progressively difficult puzzle stages and collect Barbaros’s legendary treasures.

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/news.php/2007/03/16/capcomr_announces_lemgproject_treasure_i

ghibli99

When I saw this, I immediately fell in love... it reminds me so much of import PS/SS-era goodness. I'm sure it's gonna be great... I'm there!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Probably isn't something I'm personally interested in, but its still nice to see more and more exclusives.

Wouldn't mind a more mature themed one though...

Viceroy Fizzlebottom said:
Yeah.. from what they said it seemed that within each of these stages there were areas with riddles. But I'm not sure - the stages may all be connected through some overworld linking passages, didn't see anything to say otherwise.

Not necassarily. I mean, if you think about it, Metroid Prime was one huge overworld yet it was sectioned off. I see this game probably taking place on a huge island with different zones that contain different themed areas

I don't think too many people on GAF should be terribly excited for this, simply because it looks to be a very simple game catered more towards people who rarely or simply don't play games.

But it does look pretty great, hopefully it turns out well.

Alkaliine said:
I don't think too many people on GAF should be terribly excited for this, simply because it looks to be a very simple game catered more towards people who rarely or simply don't play games.

But it does look pretty great, hopefully it turns out well.

That doesn't neccessarily mean that it won't be challenging - Layton is a similar styled game which starts off slow and then ramps up, and is hyped by GAFfers in Japan. I could see something similar with Treasure Island Z - unless they reduce the difficulty too much.

ghibli99

Bluemercury said:
link where he said that?
It's written in Japanese in the first scan... director worked on Power Stone 2 and the Biohazard Outbreak series. Producer worked on the Breath of Fire series and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

madara

Looks hot! Nice to see Capcom try something without guns and blood like old days. Plus I suspect as long you dont run to gamefaqs everytime you get stuck there should be some good challenges. This is capcom after all, where just controling their RE games last ten years is test of wills in itself.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oldschoolgamer said:
Man...I was really hoping for something else. I HOPE that this game kicks ass.

Yeah..kind of a letdown. Hopefully this means Treasure Island or whatever its going to be called turns out decent.

I'm liking the art style here. Capcom has been pretty good with their new IPs as of late, and this looks like it has some potential to be fun. I'll keep an eye on it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If this has members of the Okami team working on it then it's bound to be awesome.

dyls

schuelma said:
According to an official Capcom guy, this is Inafune's unannounced Wii project

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=13017

(Apologies if this is old news)

The Senior Director of planning and research answering questions and we get this idiot asking them?

"Is game X in 480p? and 16:9? What about DLP II?

Oh, and about game Y, is that 480p and 16:9? DLP II?? What about 480p?"

God forbid he ask anything about actualy gameplay.

CK said:
In response to my writeup on Treasure Island Z for Wii, Capcom contacted me to clarify a few points:

* Capcom announced Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii at E3, and it is still on track for 2007 release
* Devil Kings 2 was announced for Wii in Japan, but there has been no announcement of US release plans
* There are more unannounced games coming in 2007, and "at least one" should be announced in the next few weeks
Even if it is the Inafune game, looks like there's going to be more Wii announcements at Gamer's Day.

I would play this game if it turned out good, but methinks this will be the extent of Capcom's Wii support for the foreseeable future and that's not good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pokeylongo said:
I would play this game if it turned out good, but methinks this will be the extent of Capcom's Wii support for the foreseeable future and that's not good.
Did you not see the quote from two posts above? Kohler has confirmed that they have more games in development, at least one more for 2007 to be announced "soon" which is probably at the Capcom Gamers Day.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wow - I'm loving the art style of this game for some reason. harkens back the to days of kick ass platformers + adventurers. reminds me of Brave Fencer Musashi a bit (but hopefully more playable).

jj984jj said:
Did you not see the quote from two posts above? Kohler has confirmed that they have more games in development, at least one more for 2007 to be announced "soon" which is probably at the Capcom Gamers Day.
Oh, I meant these are the kind of original games they'll probably support the Wii with, other than Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. I figure they feel obligated to give Wii owners a RE game, since the series was exclusive to GameCube for a while. Other than that, their games will probably be more along the lines of cuter stuff like this. But from Capcom, that's not really a bad thing (I hope).

It's so bizarre to me, as an old school PC adventure game fan, that graphic adventures are having something of a rebirth recently on consoles, and from Japanese developers no less. Let's hope we get some good ones. It's so hard to end up with truly well written scripts through localization--when I say good I don't mean just enjoyable, I mean genuinely well written with genuinely well crafted characters, along the lines of Tim Schafer's Full Throttle or Grim Fandango.

Hopefully the recent visibility of the genre leads to some of the old masters returning, people like Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island) and Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight) who have tried to get projects greenlit recently but who have faced difficulty due to the waning of the adventure market. Jensen does have something in the works, and hopefully that does pan out. Gilbert has something he's been pitching but hasn't had any bites as far as I'm aware.

fresquito said:
Sam & MAx is joining the re-raising too. It's nice to see this comeback.
Yeah, definitely didn't mean to downplay Telltale's work. However other than Sam & Max, the PC adventure genre seems to be pretty much where it's been for several years now--a bunch of fairly uninteresting titles released on a regular basis but few standouts. Relatively speaking, there is, bizarrely, more growth in the genre on consoles, or at least on DS in particular and it looks like perhaps Wii as well.

fresquito

Chris Remo said:
Yeah, definitely didn't mean to downplay Telltale's work. However other than Sam & Max, the PC adventure genre seems to be pretty much where it's been for several years now--a bunch of fairly uninteresting titles released on a regular basis but few standouts. Relatively speaking, there is, bizarrely, more growth in the genre on consoles, or at least on DS in particular and it looks like perhaps Wii as well.
Well, I meant they were bringing the series to the consoles (to my understanding it will appear on the Wii and Xbox360)

maxmars

Good! Puzzle-based adventure, cheerful colors, pirates setting.. If there's humour in there, it'll be like being in the nineties again. :lol

fresquito said:
Well, I meant they were bringing the series to the consoles (to my understanding it will appear on the Wii and Xbox360)
That recent news was based on an interview I conducted, and honestly it's not nearly as concrete as people made it out to be. It's definitely something Telltale would like to do if possible though.

Top Bottom