• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TrekGAF, which is worse, Voyager or Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm bored off my ass and on Netflix and skipped both because they seemed terrible at the time.

Basically, Trek lost me somewhere around the second to last season of DS9, and I haven't watched anything but reruns of TNG since.

Which do you think is worth the time?

Ehh, tough call...I'm gonna say Enterprise is worse. Voyager is really, and I mean REALLY shitty at times, but there are a few gems in the series here and there. Robert Picardo as the Doctor definitely brought some episodes to the series that made it worth watching.

Enterprise on the other just felt like complete shit from the beginning to end. Not a single episode of that series ever grabbed me, and the characters all fucking suck.

That's just like my opinion though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Enterprise. It's honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen. At least Voyager had three or four good episodes

Seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise are very enjoyable.

Voyager is just fucking dull aside from a handful of neat episodes buried in the middle of the show.

jb1234

I'd say Enterprise is worse. For all of its faults, Voyager at least had a few good characters (like The Doctor and Seven of Nine). Enterprise's characters are all DOA and while the show at least becomes watchable in its last two seasons due to the stakes being upped, it never made me care for its cast.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's kind of a shame, because Voyager had the best premise of any Star Trek series.

Take the normal "new worlds, new civilizations" mission, add a dash of isolation and danger from a complete lack of communication and backup from Starfleet, give a more explicit overriding goal (get the hell home SOMEHOW), and then throw in conflict between two halves of a crew that have to work together without actually liking or agreeing with each other.

And they wasted pretty much all of that immediately.

Voyager always saved the day with nanoprobes or "modifications" to the ship. Pew pew splosions main cast calls out ship status reports about shields or casualties. It was lowest common denominator star trek.

Coolness

As others have said, seasons 3 & 4 of Enterprise are really good. I got more enjoyment out of those two than all of Voyager.

It's kind of a shame, because Voyager had the best premise of any Star Trek series.

Take the normal "new worlds, new civilizations" mission, add a dash of isolation and danger from a complete lack of communication and backup from Starfleet, give a more explicit overriding goal (get the hell home SOMEHOW), and then throw in conflict between two halves of a crew that have to work together without actually liking or agreeing with each other.

Wasn't the original plan that Janeway would die kind of early on, leaving
Chakotay to command a crew that didn't trust him, or each other?

Also, I found Enterprise unbearable, but I stopped in the second season.

Voyager only gets better towards the end of season 3 - that episode with the dinosaur aliens was really amazing imo and it keeps getting better after seven of nine shows up

enterprise's season 3 on the xindi war was fantastic. i liked em both :D

jb1234

Voyager only gets better towards the end of season 3 - that episode with the dinosaur aliens was really amazing imo and it keeps getting better after seven of nine shows up

enterprise's season 3 on the xindi war was fantastic. i liked em both :D

Yeah, the Xindi arc (especially the second half) is definitely the best of Enterprise.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Voyager. Enterprise is close, but the third and most of the fourth season made the show much more watchable. People that liked Voyager likely never watched TNG and DS9 from beginning to end and lack perspective.

Voyager. Enterprise is close, but the third and most of the fourth season made the show much more watchable. People that liked Voyager likely never watched TNG and DS9 from beginning to end and lack perspective.

DS9 is my favorite Trek... but I still like Voyager.

Excuse me while I go shopping in the local nebula for some coffee.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
voyager.

The goods of Voyager is massively outweighed by its bads.

Enterprise was more or less mediocre the whole way through with a few high points.

The thing I liked about Enterprise is how they got their butt kicked all the time.

I liked that there was conflict among the good guys. Vulcan resented human and vice versa. Sadly, all the humans liked each other.

DS9 had tons of internal drama. Kira resented Starfleet, Odo didn't trust anyone, OBrien is annoyed by Bashir and Bashir befriends Garak but knows he can't ever really trust him. A stark difference from the kumbiyah Picard had going on the Ent-D.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Voyager by a country mile. Enterprise has it's problems but it's nowhere near the unmitigated disaster that Voyager was.

Snake

Voyager has far lower lows, but is at least entertaining on some level and feels like a real Trek series.

Enterprise is simply not engaging. Even at its best.

Enterprise

Voyager at least managed to throw in a few good episodes.

The Xindi-arc in enterprise stretched way too long as well as having bland characters.

At first back when Enterprise first aired I flat out hated the idea (of course I refused to watch it). I wanted the show to go forward not back. But later on I started watching it on netflix and it's actually enjoyable (I even like the first 2 seasons).

Voyager on the other hand I watched that every day when I got home from school back when it was on TNN (channel that became spike). Loved it then probably more than TNG. But watching it now makes me realize how boneheaded some of the characters were especially Janeway. Probably my least favorite captain. Also hated how they just practically kicked Kes out the airlock and replaced her with 7 of Nine who I never really liked.

So ill have to say Voyager. Although DS9 is better than both and Into darkness is worse than them all.

They're both OK. Enterprise is more consistent. Voyager has the best characters. The low points for Voyager are lower though. And I really enjoyed the Xindi arc in Enterprise S3, despite what some say.

Janeway got turned into a salamander through evolution

I think they de-canonized that episode, actually.

Pubescent Karst thinks 7 of 9 redeems Voyager.

You're not wrong. I thought she was going to be a terrible gimmick character, but she's awesome.

Voyager always saved the day with nanoprobes or "modifications" to the ship. Pew pew splosions main cast calls out ship status reports about shields or casualties. It was lowest common denominator star trek.

Sounds like the impression I formed during the four or five episodes I watched way back wasn't far off

Thanks for the feedback, folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom