• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TrekGAF, which is worse, Voyager or Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Safety

Voyager is terrible and there's more of it to hate.

If you're lucky you'll forget how grating Neelix was, how stupid it was that the captain routinely sought advice from a hologram instead of her crew, and Voyager's endless wagontraining with its mindless and ever-present technobabble.

Al-ibn Kermit

Voyager is terrible and there's more of it to hate.

If you're lucky you'll forget how grating Neelix was, how stupid it was that the captain routinely sought advice from a hologram instead of her crew, and Voyager's endless wagontraining with its mindless and ever-present technobabble.

She didn't trust the doctor as much as most,saw him as part of the ship rather than the crew a lot of the time.

Neelix was totally way too annoying at first even if he was intentionally written to be but Kes was worse, just always would get so sad. Once Kes left, Neelix got less needy and it lets you see that what seemed like a blind, unsophisticated optimism was really his way of holding together a crew that barely knew each other and the region they're exploring. It worked well eventually imo.

I'm not sure what you mean by wagontraining, I think every character including the doctor went awol at some point.

Walshicus

Voyager is worse. Enterprise has a single okay-ish series, one meh series and then two great series (with a shit last episode). Voyager was just shit from the get-go.

She didn't trust the doctor as much as most,saw him as part of the ship rather than the crew a lot of the time.
Pretty sure MC Safety is talking about Leonardo DaVinci and those Irish guys.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Voyager is 90% excellent. Ds9 season 1-4 are mind numbingly boring. I rewatched them both this year.
I think most people love ds9 because the last 2 seasons were excellent and forget just how bad is was for the most part.

you think wrong. DS9's season one is incredible, and it just gets better from there

Voyager is far worse. When rewatching Star Trek, I struggle to find more than 5 episodes out of 7 seasons worth watching, whereas Enterprise was largely enjoyable for 2 whole seasons.

However, Emterprise clearly had the worst trek crew. I struggle to remember any of the bridge crew since they are all just so vapid.

Voyager is 90% excellent. Ds9 season 1-4 are mind numbingly boring. I rewatched them both this year.
I think most people love ds9 because the last 2 seasons were excellent and forget just how bad is was for the most part.
Voyager is my favourite Trek series, but let's not go nuts here.

Tesseract

Banned
s2&3 of enterprise is god tier star trek

it's the dirtiest of the treks, all kinds of raw shit went down

those fuckers were on a mission

Lagamorph

you think wrong. DS9's season one is incredible, and it just gets better from there
The first three seasons of DS9 have maybe 3 good episodes. The Maquis 1 & 2 and The Jem'Hadar.
The rest range from forgettable to outright sleep inducing.
Even Season 4 has more duds than gems.

MrChom

Voyager is far far worse. Hideously vanilla boring characters.....

Enterprise has a shoddy first season but at least it improves for S2 and beyond.

MedHead

I will always vote Enterprise as the worst, for I believe it helped bring about the reboot of the franchise. Voyager was bad, but Enterprise helped ruin Star Trek as a franchise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Voyager is far far worse. Hideously vanilla boring characters.....

Enterprise has a shoddy first season but at least it improves for S2 and beyond.

Even then, it got better, but it was never great. The Xindi arc was brought down by the baffling stupid Space Nazi plot. Season 4 was better, but was still hurt by an incredibly bad cast of characters.

When one of the most fondly remembered episodes of your show is a two parter in which none of your main characters appear and replaced by alternate universe counterparts that behave nothing like them, you have a problem.

Novocaine

Voyager is awful. It's the only Trek series I stopped watching out of sheer boredom.

The first season of Enterprise is average and the opening song is gross as all fuck. But it's actually an alright series overall.

Currygan

The first three seasons of DS9 have maybe 3 good episodes. The Maquis 1 & 2 and The Jem'Hadar.
The rest range from forgettable to outright sleep inducing.
Even Season 4 has more duds than gems.

I disagree, I think S1 of DS9 is the strongest of any Trek show, and it's got gems like Duet, Captive Pursuit, A man alone, In the Hands of the Prophets, The Nagus...and that's S1 alone. S2 and S3 got a ton of fantastic episodes as well (Wire, Collaborator, Tribunal, Playing God, Maquis, Rivals, Sanctuary....and I could go on and on), people are free to disagree tho of course

Ovek

7Member7
I liked the characters more in Enterprise more (Malcolm Reed FTW) but overall Voyager wins out.... sadly.

Walshicus

People are trippin' in this thread. Voyager was boss. Enterprise was the weakest of the whole Star Trek Universe.

There was hardly anything likeable about Voyager though, while Enterprise had a string of really strong arcs. The Xindi, the Vulcan Suranites, the founding of the Coallition of Planets, everything with the Andorians...

The only episodes of Voyager I can really remember are those that were so bad they're forever etched into my memory. Warp 10 Salamanders? Tuvix murdering? Leonardo daFuckingVinci? Anything with The Doctor and his grating nasal voice... damn.

clem84

Gold Member
I really liked Voyager in general. There were a few bad episodes but the show kept me interested from beginning to end. There were a few gems in there too. Great characters. Very good show if you ask me.

I couldn't get into enterprise. I can't really judge the entirety of the show because I gave up after the first season. So I really don't know how good or bad it really is. I remember that almost every episode of the first season was boring. I didn't like any of the characters. The episodes don't go anywhere. You feel like there's nothing at stake you know, like nothing important is going on. Anyway, really hated it. I don't know if I'll ever watch season 2-4.

Walshicus

The episodes don't go anywhere. You feel like there's nothing at stake you know, like nothing important is going on. Anyway, really hated it. I don't know if I'll ever watch season 2-4.

How can you like Voyager but criticise Enterprise for the above?

clem84

Gold Member
How can you like Voyager but criticise Enterprise for the above?

I can see by that comment that you probably felt Voyager had nothing interesting going on. I can understand how someone might feel that way. To each his own. To me what made most Voyager episodes interesting was the characters themselves (that's a huge part of liking or disliking a show for most people) and the general storyline of the show (trying to get home). It felt like each show they were working toward that goal, while "seeking out new life and new civilizations". They were able to meld these two things to create something that was consistently interesting IMO.

MC Safety

I'm not sure what you mean by wagontraining, I think every character including the doctor went awol at some point.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to Janeway soliciting advice from the doctor, although that's another indication of how mindless the show was in its worship of technology. Janeway sought advice from the hologram Leonardo Da Vinci -- and on more than one occasion.

Wagontraining refers to the old TV show "Wagon Train." It was notable for running eight years and showing a wagon train procession that roamed the country endlessly, never really getting anywhere.

People hate Voyager more because it had more potential to be good, but never delivered on it. People in this thread are making out that Ds9 is the only Star Trek show wjhere the first three seasons were shit, yet the same is true of EVERY Star Trek show. Star Trek TNG, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise all sucked in the first two or three seasons and then improved greatly towards the end... Voyager never reached that point. More frustrating than that was the fact that, at times, you felt like the writers had some level of competency with The Doctor, 7 of 9 and the Year of Hell two parter, yet they frustratingly squandered all those elements without fail.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People hate Voyager more because it had more potential to be good, but never delivered on it. People in this thread are making out that Ds9 is the only Star Trek show wjhere the first three seasons were shit, yet the same is true of EVERY Star Trek show. Star Trek TNG, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise all sucked in the first two or three seasons and then improved greatly towards the end... Voyager never reached that point. More frustrating than that was the fact that, at times, you felt like the writers had some level of competency with The Doctor, 7 of 9 and the Year of Hell two parter, yet they frustratingly squandered all those elements without fail.

DS9 was rough at the start, but I'd put DS9's season 1 and 2 over TNG's and Voyager any day.

eot

Banned
Enterprise is the worst Trek imo.

I think the intro alone secures that position for the show. I can't watch it. The intro for Voyager on the other hand is great. The CG holds up alright for something so old, much better than say B5.

Currygan

again, DS9 did not suck season 1-2-3. Some episodes were indeed bad, but it found its footing almost immediately and these bad episodes are like Shakespeare compared to the absolute shit that was TNG, ENT or VOY

Enterprise was really great season 3 and 4. I honestly would have liked to see a season 5 exploring the foundation of the federation and possibly the earth romulan war. And shran joining the crew. But instead we got old man riker hollodeck madness.=(

Ds9 is still the best overall trek series, thanks to cpt ben motherfuckin siskos space pimp hand.

Voyager is shit save for the eps year of hell and the charicters of seven and the doctor.

The Adder

Banned
Sisko vs the Maquis dwarfs anything in Voyager. He posoined a whole planet without any authorisation to catch one man who was his personal enemy.

He made the planet uninhabitable for humans, who weren't suppossed to be there and were risking not only being wiped out by the Cardassians but also dragging the Federation into a war. And it was treated like the dark-ass decision that it was. Like it was a questionable, but ultimately understandable decision made for all of the wrong reasons.

Janeway's decisions are always treated as correct by the show.

He made the planet uninhabitable for humans, who weren't suppossed to be there and were risking not only being wiped out by the Cardassians but also dragging the Federation into a war. And it was treated like the dark-ass decision that it was.

Janeway's decisions are always treated as correct by the show.

In the end, the two peoples just switched planets. Eddington made one uninhabitable by Cardassians and Sisko made one uninhabitable by humans. It all worked out!

Fuchsdh

I'd say there's good in each of the series, so rather than skipping I think you can just check out the better episodes from each.

Lagamorph

There was another song that was rumored to be used for Enterprise's opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEcaR9Cj7k

Song was used in at least one promo leading up to the premier, and when put with the opening, it seems to fit a lot better than the stupid song from Patch Adams.

I don't think the Lyrics of Wherever you will go really work for the series though. Faith of the Heart works a lot better really, though Archers Theme definitely works the best I'd say.

Enterprise is worse since its creation is not well advised. A prequel is not smart (unless you do the whole alternate reality line, which isn't even that good) and the only saving grace in casting is Bakula.

Voyagers core idea was brilliant: Throw a crew into an uncharted part of space and introduce totally new races, ships, and planets. Voyagers fatal flaw was playing it safe.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Enterprise is worse since its creation is not well advised. A prequel is not smart (unless you do the whole alternate reality line, which isn't even that good) and the only saving grace in casting is Bakula.

Voyagers core idea was brilliant: Throw a crew into an uncharted part of space and introduce totally new races, ships, and planets. Voyagers fatal flaw was playing it safe.

I don't think Bakula did anything to save Archer, the writing was just that bad. I was so hyped when I heard he would be playing a Star Trek captain.

Then the show happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom