• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) on the Philando Castile ruling and dash cam video

Nepenthe

I'm sitting in my car crying, cause I just don't feel safe anymore, I'm a black man in his 20s and this whole situation has struck me that they could have really been me, it could still be me, and there's nothing I can do about it.

It's not all bad. The officer wasn't white.

But for real, I laid in my bed this morning for around half an hour after the Trevor Noah video just crying and wondering what the point even is in fighting against the system anymore. Almost kind of mad at myself for watching it, because I knew the lack of conviction itself was bullshit, but it's typical bullshit- this happens more often than not. However, the new video itself that the jury apparently watched and concluded that there was nothing wrong just kind of brings up a resignation. Like, alright white people. I get it. Y'all won already. I'm starting to think about shit like, "Maybe if I get the fuck out of here back to Germany again things will be better," because God knows this shit in America is not clearing up in my lifetime. I'm fucking done.

" thoughts and prayers" or something equally useless

Useless. Like correcting people on the freed officer's race.

But I get it though. You have your priorities.

BriGuy

That's heart-breaking. This country is in real need of some soul searching, assuming it still has a soul left to be found.

Stop arguing with the guy. Don't let this thread become about him. Get back on topic.

Yessir. Trevor Noah is an amazing and inspiring individual, and I'm glad that he articulated so well on his feelings. I feel exactly the same way, it's heartbreaking. There must be reform.

I still can't get over how he supposedly thought all of this:

”I thought, I was gonna die," Yanez later recounted about the moments leading up to the shooting, ”and I thought if he's, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me. And, I let off the rounds and then after the rounds were off, the little girls [sic] was screaming."

In the timeframe that this all took place within the video. He wasn't thinking any of that bullshit and to think that second hand marijuana smoke is tantamount to murder is disgusting and crazy!

RIP Philando

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's not all bad. The officer wasn't white.

But for real, I laid in my bed this morning for around half an hour after the Trevor Noah video just crying and wondering what the point even is in fighting against the system anymore. Almost kind of mad at myself for watching it, because I knew the lack of conviction itself was bullshit, but it's typical bullshit- this happens more often than not. However, the new video itself that the jury apparently watched and concluded that there was nothing wrong just kind of brings up a resignation. Like, alright white people. I get it. Y'all won already. I'm starting to think about shit like, "Maybe if I get the fuck out of here back to Germany again things will be better," because God knows this shit in America is not clearing up in my lifetime. I'm fucking done.

Useless. Like correcting people on the freed officer's race.

But I get it though. You have your priorities.
Same...like what's the use of fighting anymore, it just doesn't matter

Cindro

Man, are there protests over the cop's acquittal? This is absolutely insane, and one of the most clear-cut bastardizations of justice I've ever seen.

I hope, at the very least, the cop is racked with guilt and misery the rest of his insignificant life. Surely he knows he overreacted.

At least the media coverage of this (at least that I've seen) isn't trying to defend the acquittal. That's a tiny, microscopic silver lining I guess. Maybe the coverage will wake more people up to these issues.

Raven117

Yessir. Trevor Noah is an amazing and inspiring individual, and I'm glad that he articulated so well on his feelings. I feel exactly the same way, it's heartbreaking. There must be reform.

But that is his whole point and why its truly heartbreaking. What do you want to reform? The system did work....cameras, indictment, prosecutor, jury....and that jury (representative of our society...us)...still said it was justified.

This wasn't "institutional" racism with imbeded systemic processes that disparately impact people of color. This was racism in its pure unadulterated form before it morphs into hate and anger...it was fear...

Edit: What was the testimony of that other cop? The guy that is so surprised he jumps back from the car with his hands clutched over his chest...my bet...is that this cop...who is probably not a "bad" guy testified that he didn't see what Philando was doing with his hands and cannot say with certainty what was going on at the time. He knew....he saw. He defended the shooting officer by implicitly staying silent as to what he saw by playing dumb....putting it all up to the testimony of the cop vs. the girlfriend.

Nepenthe

Half of you in this thread didn't.

For someone concerned with "the facts," you sure like making assumptions of other people when it suits you.

But it's okay though.

Wow... Commenters on Reddit, MSN, The Hill... Are defending the cop and the verdict... WTF??!?

This should only be surprising if you think America isn't a pro-cop/anti-black nation. If nothing else, the ruling should have been the proof.

Ok thanks.

Where's your data on the people posting in the thread proving 50% didn't vote

Can't you think of healthier ways of getting attention than being antagonistic toward black people in a thread about a black person being murdered in front of his family

Are you enjoying pretending that voting for the president can magically erase centuries of institutionalized racism in policing

Nepenthe

We know the stats. It's a pretty safe assumption, but sure okay

You literally have no access to the identities and subsequent voting information of everyone in this thread, therefore you stepped over your bounds in assuming 50% of participants in this thread did not vote.

But not like any of this matters to you. Again, the ultimate takeaway here that you made sure we all understood is that the officer who got away with murdering Philando Castile and leaving a daughter to grow up without her father, thus adding her to the statistical pile of absent black fathers which will assuredly be used as proof by racists that we aren't shit because we just don't grow up in proper households, isn't white.

Water under the bridge, amirite?

Rayis

I fucking hope what this cop did haunts him for life, that he has no peace of mind and an enormous sense of guilt as he robbed this man of his life.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
That dash cam video is nauseating, heart-breaking and infuriating, all at the same time. Jesus Christ, there was a little girl in the car... There are no fucking words to adequately articulate what I think about this.

My heart goes out to Philando Castile's family. Their lives have been torn apart because of racism.

What a fucking horrible world we live in sometimes.

Hadn't seen the footage because I am tired of seeing minorities shot dead for no particularly reason other than the color of their skin, and cops being racist shitheads.

Christ, I have no words, honestly Trevor Noah said more than I possibly could.

JCG

This is depressing, especially because there are individuals who look at this video and say it's the victim's fault for "not following orders" and so on.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
always some moron in these threads who has to make things about themselves

ignore and move along

Wow... Commenters on Reddit, MSN, The Hill... Are defending the cop and the verdict... WTF??!?

are you surprised? This happens literally every time.

Measley

So to avoid getting shot, throw your hands out the window as soon as the cop pulls you over...

Good advice. I'm going to take it.

Fucking sad that I need to, but better safe than dead, since it's open season on men of color.

GamerSoul

Unbelievable. Uncomfortable to watch. Heart breaking. This officer clearly handled the situation in the worst possible way. This is why I am not comfortable around firearms. All it takes is one lapse in judgement and you can end someone's life. Dude put like 5 rounds in the guy... and for what?

Who said anything about magically? People's minds aren't going to change. In my opinion The Only Way Forward is to get people in power who have the ability to change many of the policies that put black people in the places they are in the first place.
Wow.

I mean, Lord Jesus in Heaven. Do you really believe this system of violence against minorities will stop because of voting? Are you suggesting that, because some did not vote, that this is deserved or justified? "Vote, or else this will keep happening!". What the fuck are you on, dude?

You see, minorities understand how the system really works: It doesn't matter how good you are, how much good you do. You can make social progress, but if your fellow citizens don't give two fucks about you, you don't get anywhere. How do you elect a fucking jury to care about your life?

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You really chose the wrong topic to pull that "Shoulda voted" bullshit.
I voted man, even wore the i voted sticker all day only to see trump become president
I realize this is probably sarcasm, but the Head of State has little to do with jury selection or holding cops accountable for blatant murder. Thats on citizens.

That story about him getting stopped by the cops about 8-10 times in as little as six years is pretty mind blowing and sad as well. My dad has had his drivers liscense for over 30 years and he's been driving all over the contenent for the past 10 years due to his job and he hasn't been stopped even once.

I really hope America gets its shit together because there are no excuses.

When I had a sports car, I was getting stopped regularly.
Driving a Civic, nope.

Thats putting a whole lot of words in my mouth, so ok, sure, policy changes in gun ownership, changes to laws govering the interaction between cops and citizens, policy changes in laws governing everything from real estate law to access to good jobs and everything in between holding black people back, ultra conservative judges, and a million other things, yeah none of that happens at the executive, legislative or judicial branches.

Voting wont help anything. Go ahead and rage at me for suggesting we vote to make change. Im sure that makes you feel better.

Didn't say that voting won't help, but did say that voting won't stop it. It's hard to understand why you're even here.

Enzom21

I didn't say it would stop it, and you aren't even the one I was responding to lol. And news flash: this is an open forum and you don't need to understand why I'm here. Thanks for the corcern though, and if you'd like to discuss the content of what I *did* write, feel free to formulate an intelligent response and Id be happy to discuss it with you.

Hey so how about the man who was murder by a cop?
Any thoughts on that or the videos in the OP?

Enzom21

What can be done for him now? It was murder, and the system is broken. How about we try and fix that? Which leads me to what I just posted about voting....

Or do you just want "thoughts and prayers"?

I don't want anything from someone like yourself.
Well you have no right to complain about voting because you didn't vote.

Enzom21

Yes Im a monster for suggesting we vote racists and bigots out of positions of power. Whatever makes you feel better.

And I sure as hell did vote, and will continue to do so even in a state where my votes at the national level are of no use. There are local politics where that vote sure does matter.

Who called you a monster? I doubt you of all people would want racists and bigots out of office.
That's funny because you claimed half of the people in this thread didn't vote and unless you're a psychic, the only vote you know about is your own.
Just admit you didn't vote and you're projecting.
We know the stats, don't we?

Enzom21

Does this make you feel better about yourself? This is raging at me for no reason. You are angry, but you are aiming it at the wrong place.

No cares about you here, you give yourself far too much credit.
I am not raging nor am I angry. Thanks for the concern though, and if you'd like to discuss the content of what I wrote, feel free to formulate an intelligent response and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
You should stop lying about voting and actually vote though.
Voting is important.

Slayven

I always like the people that slide into threads and low key

A) make it about something else being the real victim. I haven't seen the NRA, that one is new

and/or

B) try to make it seem black people deserve it somehow

Enzom21

All right, so Ive been called a fuckboi, a cunt, someone who wants racists and bigots in power, a liar, and so on but sure, no one is directing any anger at me here.

At least you agree voting is important. And the moment you can post something of substance indtead of super cheesy bait posts, I would have a discussion with you.

I don't know if you're a fuckboi or a cunt but you're sure as shit a liar.
"Vote. Fucking vote. Half of you in this thread didn't."
Sure sounds like a lie to me. Once again, you give yourself far too much credit. No one is angry with.

Yes unlike you, I actually vote and you are correct, the portions of my posts that I copied from you are quite cheesy.

Anyway, I am going to stop making a thread about yet another murdered black person not getting justice about you, Let's see if you can do the same. People like you are the reason this will continue to happen.

I have a feeling the jurors didn't even pay full attention to the videos. It's pretty damn hard to watch an innocent person get killed. It's even more difficult to watch your beliefs get challenged in front of you.

Javaman

Please please please tell me Minnesota isn't a state that blocks civil trials against successful defendants in criminal cases.

Anyway, I am going to stop making a thread about yet another murdered black person not getting justice about you, Let's see if you can do the same. People like you are the reason this will continue to happen.

Jesus Christ , I get you're angry but these leaps of logic and misguided anger are unnecessary.

"In that moment, the cop has panicked, but clearly black people never forget their training"

Damn, so much truth in that.

So fucking true, how she is so calm and still addressing the officer with "Sir" as her husband is dying right next to her.

This is just an all new low for me...I'm just....I can't even put it into words what I'm feeling; so much anger, tiredness, and depression all wrapped into one feeling.

I guess us black people should just glue our identification to our forehead....

Slayven

Not angry at all. You on the other hand seem quite angry about my assumed angry.
I mean... "Jesus Christ"!

Spit a little truth and people assume you are angry.

The anger burns for only so long, then you got to survive, getting angry is a privilege, not one afforded to brown folks in america.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Where is Jeronimo Yanez from?

The officer was a white guy?

That's not what I asked but thanks.

Wasn't disputing your point. Facts matter though, and this guy isn't white. Thanks.

But that isn't what you said and you know it. Now you're just getting snotty because you got a fact wrong, got called out, and your feelings are hurt.

I get it though. It happens.

Its pretty obvious. He said something that was factually incorrect and was corrected.

Good on you, admitting you were wrong is hard on the internet. We can move on then.

Aww, almost got there, but nope, more assumptions and insults.

My bad, sorry about that.

I think we're square then.

I corrected one factual inaccuracy in your post and made no comment whatsoever how I felt about racism. You clearly aren't the type that can handle being corrected. It must suck to be you. Either way you were wrong, and that is that. Good day.

"Fuckboi" and "cunt", stay classy.

That correction was made sufficiently.

" thoughts and prayers" or something equally useless

I care with my vote and my money. Both of which I've put to use.

Vote. Fucking vote. Half of you in this thread didn't. Obama felt like a bit of progress. How are we feeling today?

Ok thanks.

We know the stats. It's a pretty safe assumption, but sure okay

Who said anything about magically? People's minds aren't going to change. In my opinion The Only Way Forward is to get people in power who have the ability to change many of the policies that put black people in the places they are in the first place.

Thats putting a whole lot of words in my mouth, so ok, sure, policy changes in gun ownership, changes to laws govering the interaction between cops and citizens, policy changes in laws governing everything from real estate law to access to good jobs and everything in between holding black people back, ultra conservative judges, and a million other things, yeah none of that happens at the executive, legislative or judicial branches.

Voting wont help anything. Go ahead and rage at me for suggesting we vote to make change. Im sure that makes you feel better.

I didn't say it would stop it, and you aren't even the one I was responding to lol. And news flash: this is an open forum and you don't need to understand why I'm here. Thanks for the corcern though, and if you'd like to discuss the content of what I *did* write, feel free to formulate an intelligent response and Id be happy to discuss it with you. Nothing in the post you quoted should be controversial; I'm right.

What can be done for him now? It was murder, and the system is broken. How about we try and fix that? Which leads me to what I just posted about voting....

Or do you just want "thoughts and prayers"?

Yes Im a monster for suggesting we vote racists and bigots out of positions of power. Whatever makes you feel better.

And I sure as hell did vote, and will continue to do so even in a state where my votes at the national level are of no use. There are local politics where that vote sure does matter.

Does this make you feel better about yourself? This is raging at me for no reason. You are angry, but you are aiming it at the wrong place.

All right, so Ive been called a fuckboi, a cunt, someone who wants racists and bigots in power, a liar, and so on but sure, no one is directing any anger at me here.

At least you agree voting is important. And the moment you can post something of substance indtead of super cheesy bait posts, I would have a discussion with you.

Ok sure, take the high road after insulting me. Like I said, if it makes you feel better what can I say to stop you.

Disappear.

This whole thing and every other case like it is such fucking horseshit. I saw a facebook post of a video of the kid and the girl in the back of the cop car and it was just fucking heartbreaking hearing the kid ask the mom to calm down because she didnt want to get shot. Like wtf. This is insane.

Brinbe

Watched this earlier on my lunch break and it legit made me tear up because of how true it is. Fucking sad as shit in so many ways.

And what makes me even madder at how incredulous people get that maybe minorities are tired of this treatment.

Top Bottom