• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So you don't have the season pass? I would definitely say it's worthwhile. The tracks have all been great so far.

I played the new ones last night and had a great time. Some fantastic designs and new environments.

I just think the value is so damn bad compared to what they've done in the past (when they weren't owned by Ubi... shocker). Turns me off a bit and makes me not want to pay full price for the pass. But I'm tempted, of course.

The_Dude

So no one else is having trouble on PC? I just got a Uplay update with no problems but the Trials update still won't download.

I've been playing this off and on since release, but I have to say Evolution seemed like a much better bargain (at least for my skill level). Track Central is the only redeeming feature for me.

I can't believe I'm still getting framerate hitches on the PS4.

The new extreme is not that bad.

The PS4 version does have some split second pauses the first few tracks you play each time you start it up. After that you shouldn't see them again.

I just think the value is so damn bad compared to what they've done in the past (when they weren't owned by Ubi... shocker). Turns me off a bit and makes me not want to pay full price for the pass. But I'm tempted, of course.

Yeah, it's not as good a deal, but I feel like each of the tracks are of a higher quality.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Since this is my first experience with Trials, I'm finding that I don't care about any of the shortcomings folks have issues with.

That said, I'm only playing the demo right now. Any chance this will be going on sale soon, or should I just grab it and the Season Pass now?

I could do with some more people on my friends list that play Trials (on ps4).

PSN ID : IIDeathCubeKII

I'm not an expert, but Fusion is the first Trials game where I have struggled to complete the extreme tracks. I blame my ageing hands.

FerranMG

I just got this from last week's PSN sale.
Haven't played much, but being a huge fan of the 2 first games on 360, so far I'm pretty disappointed.

- Unbelievably long load times.
- Texture streaming issues. The first tutorial track I played was loading the billboard textures with the instructions for over 1 or 2 seconds after the loading screen was over.
- Why let me choose which bike to use before every race, if loading them takes so damn long?
- The overall experience feels like a f2p iOS game, with IAPs being pushed everywhere.
When I entered the scenario selection for the first time, it showed me first available scenario, and then it automatically scrolled to the right where it showed me all the content I could buy as DLC.
- This might be me just having played with early bikes, but I feel they don't control as well as the bikes I remember.
- I don't like that some tracks are not in a 2d plane. Meaning, that the bike doesn't only move just from left to right, but there's curves and the camera moves along them.
It distracts me and prevents me from correctly understanding the track.

Will keep playing more, but the first impression has been really lukewarm. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Answers in bold:

Haven't played much, but being a huge fan of the 2 first games on 360, so far I'm pretty disappointed.

Really? Guess they could be shorter, but they're not that bad IMO.

- Texture streaming issues. The first tutorial track I played was loading the billboard textures with the instructions for over 1 or 2 seconds after the loading screen was over.
Yeah, those billboards are a bit weird, but nothing else in the game has that issue. Most of the time all textures load just fine.

- Why let me choose which bike to use before every race, if loading them takes so damn long?
You can select your bike as soon as the menu appears, you don't have to wait for the bike models to load.

- The overall experience feels like a f2p iOS game, with IAPs being pushed everywhere.
When I entered the scenario selection for the first time, it showed me first available scenario, and then it automatically scrolled to the right where it showed me all the content I could buy as DLC.
There are map packs you can buy, yes, and of course they want you to know that, but the game is nothing like a F2P game. "IAPs being pushed everywhere" is not true at all.

- This might be me just having played with early bikes, but I feel they don't control as well as the bikes I remember.
The bike physics have changed slightly, as have the specs of each bike, but you'll get used to it.

- I don't like that some tracks are not in a 2d plane. Meaning, that the bike doesn't only move just from left to right, but there's curves and the camera moves along them.
This is nothing new though. Was the same in Evo. Again, you get used to it (some user-created tracks have way too sharp turns though, which is simply bad track design).

Pretty much how I felt. My skill level is around "hard," so there are very few challenging yet enjoyable tracks without going for DLC. Track Central is the only saving grace for this game for me. I really miss Evo now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I finally caved and bought the season pass. The craving for new content became too strong, and it didn't exactly help that like 4/5 of the new tracks in Track Central depend on the DLC. So, yeah. Playing through the DLC tracks now.

EDIT: Well fuck me, Way of the Machine is a bitch! First really difficult track among the new ones.

wouwie

After a long break, i decided to play Trials again. I bought the season pass and i'm enjoying the new tracks so far. They seem rather challenging.

The gameplay in Trials is awesome. I just wish i was any good at it. I can barely finish the hard tracks properly. I have never managed to finish an extreme track. No matter how much i play, i seem to have hit a limit and i'm not improving anymore. If i had been any good at this, i would play it a lot more.

ryan299

Can someone tell me how the dlc is delivered when you buy the disc version? I'm thinking about buying this used on gamefly want want to know if the season pass will come with the game. Anybody know?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can someone tell me how the dlc is delivered when you buy the disc version? I'm thinking about buying this used on gamefly want want to know if the season pass will come with the game. Anybody know?

Pretty sure the season pass is just a code, so if you buy the retail version used it will all depend on whether or not the previous owner has used the code. If he has, you'll have to buy it separately.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Pretty sure the season pass is just a code, so if you buy the retail version used it will all depend on whether or not the previous owner has used the code. If he has, you'll have to buy it separately.

Gamefly only sends the disc when you rent, all codes are unused when you buy a game from them. (season pass, launch dlc, etc)

And yeah, the season pass is a code in the box.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gamefly only sends the disc when you rent, all codes are unused when you buy a game from them. (season pass, launch dlc, etc)

And yeah, the season pass is a code in the box.

But he said he was gonna buy it used from them? I don't know how Gamefly works.

EDIT: Ah, you're saying that you can buy games that have previously been rented out, and you then get all codes and stuff?

wouwie

My ultimate goal is to finish an extreme track one day... I still haven't managed to do so. I feel like i'm getting better at it but i'm not sure if i will ever be able to master the skill completely. I've been watching some replays from top players and it's insane.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My ultimate goal is to finish an extreme track one day... I still haven't managed to do so. I feel like i'm getting better at it but i'm not sure if i will ever be able to master the skill completely. I've been watching some replays from top players and it's insane.

Well, have you finished all the Hard tracks in Fusion? The first Extreme is really only slightly more difficult, I kind of think of it as a Hard+.

Anyway, it's all about practice. There are no magic shortcuts, just keep playing and you'll keep getting better. I was once where you are, and now only the most difficult Extremes (and Ninjas, lol) give me some real trouble.

atomsk

Party Pooper
But he said he was gonna buy it used from them? I don't know how Gamefly works.

EDIT: Ah, you're saying that you can buy games that have previously been rented out, and you then get all codes and stuff?

The box/manual/codes all sit in the warehouse, they only get sent out when someone buys the game.

I probably buy about half my games from gamefly these days, as long as the disc is in good condition, because I know the box will be pristine, and it's usually pretty cheap.

wouwie

Well, have you finished all the Hard tracks in Fusion? The first Extreme is really only slightly more difficult, I kind of think of it as a Hard+.

Anyway, it's all about practice. There are no magic shortcuts, just keep playing and you'll keep getting better. I was once where you are, and now only the most difficult Extremes (and Ninjas, lol) give me some real trouble.

I manage to finish all hard tracks with mostly around silver and sometimes gold. With the extreme tracks, i have a feeling they are do-able (at least to finish) but there are always a couple of spots that give me problems, especially those that require long distance jumps. I think i have the most problems with long distance jumps in this game.

It's my first Trials game and i've spent about 40 hours on it so far. But i love the gameplay so i will probably continue practising for ever.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I manage to finish all hard tracks with mostly around silver and sometimes gold. With the extreme tracks, i have a feeling they are do-able (at least to finish) but there are always a couple of spots that give me problems, especially those that require long distance jumps. I think i have the most problems with long distance jumps in this game.

It's my first Trials game and i've spent about 40 hours on it so far. But i love the gameplay so i will probably continue practising for ever.

Gotta practice those bunny hops! Seriously, being comfortable with those is absolutely crucial for most (if not all) Extreme tracks. Also advanced leaning techniques, throttle control, etc. Extreme tracks require a level of control over the bike that you just don't come across on easier tracks. It will be frustrating at first, but once you start "getting it" it will feel great.

I can't find this online, so I'll ask here:

What are the difficulty levels of the trials tracks you get in the DLC? I haven't bought any of it, not sure I will.. but I'm curious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't find this online, so I'll ask here:

What are the difficulty levels of the trials tracks you get in the DLC? I haven't bought any of it, not sure I will.. but I'm curious.

Packs 1 & 2: 3 Medium, 2 Hard, 1 Extreme, 1 FMX, 1 skill game
Pack 3: 5 Medium, 2 Hard, 1 Extreme, 1 FMX, 1 skill game

Pack 3 being larger than the first two is a good sign, but I hope the remaining three packs contain more Hard and Extreme tracks. Those are what I find interesting to play, the Mediums I just blow through (and then go back to plat). Really don't need 5 of those in one pack...

whitehawk

Banned
So I haven't played this game too much recently, but I just booted it up and...

Did they delete a whole bunch of replays? I had top 10 in Ski or Ride and now it's gone. I'm guessing they deleted any replays that used tricks? Man, that's bullshit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I haven't played this game too much recently, but I just booted it up and...

Did they delete a whole bunch of replays? I had top 10 in Ski or Ride and now it's gone. I'm guessing they deleted any replays that used tricks? Man, that's bullshit.

They deleted scores set by abusing the bug that let you jump farther by doing tricks, yes. That was never an intended technique. Trials should be purely about riding skills, FMX is its own thing (that I'd prefer not to exist).

whitehawk

Banned
They deleted scores set by abusing the bug that let you jump farther by doing tricks, yes. That was never an intended technique. Trials should be purely about riding skills, FMX is its own thing (that I'd prefer not to exist).
Yeah I get that. But it took them a long time to fix that bug, while in the meantime people were going for high scores. It took me many tries to get in the top 10 which is now wasted. They should deleted the scores as soon as possible, or at least sent a message through the games notification system that those scores will be deleted in the future, so don't go for trick times.

Any chance in getting this game for $20-$30 with all the DLC on the disc? I am just one of those people who would rather just have the entire game on a disc, put the disc in and everything is there on my PS4.

sneaky77

Any chance in getting this game for $20-$30 with all the DLC on the disc? I am just one of those people who would rather just have the entire game on a disc, put the disc in and everything is there on my PS4.

All the DLC is not out yet, but I think they probably will have a re release with all the dlc eventually

RoadHazard

Gold Member

At some point, perhaps. But right now all the DLC is just that - DLC - and you have to download it no matter which version of the base game you get. Only half of the DLC is even out yet.

Anyone get random crashes sometimes when downloading tracks? 95% of the time it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't seem to download correctly.. then drops to the xmb or whatever it is now.

I want the DLC but I'm waiting for a sale. I only want it for access to more user-created tracks.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member

That was my goal too and this is my first Trials game also. When I finally did beat the first extreme track, it felt really good. I got pretty good at getting to the final checkpoint but had a lot of problems finishing the track. Patience and practice did eventually pay off.

I'm fairly addicted to this game now. I'm not amazing but my skill level is getting better, finally able to get some good runs on Hard tracks. I had a zero fault run on a Hard track tonight which felt great. Some of the advanced moves are starting to feel more natural to me. My ultimate goal is to be able to finish all the extreme tracks but at the moment, that is a steep task. I'm making more and more progress on the other extremes but I still get stuck on certain checkpoints.

Been getting better at the rear wheel bunny hop technique though. I love this game!

Duxxy3

Me and some friends made up a new game last night. Shortest distance on the big air skill game. The record so far is .788m - just over 2 feet.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So... where is that online MP update? They promised it before the end of the year, and there isn't that much of it left.

via the official forums

"Yes, of course. When it will be ready. Probably early next year."

"Early 2015 the feature will be released on all platforms"

RoadHazard

Gold Member
via the official forums

"Yes, of course. When it will be ready. Probably early next year."

"Early 2015 the feature will be released on all platforms"

So it's been delayed (pretty sure they originally said before the end of this year). Oh well. I know I'll play the game much more once it's there. Still can't believe they didn't think this feature was important enough to have on day 1.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I hate to bump this thread without any actual "something new is actually out" news, but the latest is as follows...

"There is no date on the DLC release because there is a dependency between the release of the multiplayer and the release of the DLC (we can't release the DLC before multiplayer technically), when we'll have the date of the multiplayer, we'll have the date of the DLC."

and the multiplayer update "we have submitted our updates to the various 1st parties for validation."

Now personally, I crunched the numbers a bit on DLC timing.

Launch to DLC 1 = 105 days
DLC 1 to DLC 2 = 21 days
DLC 2 to DLC 3 = 49 days
DLC 3 to Today = 105 days

There are 131 days until May 31st 2015, and they need to deliver 3 more DLC.

sneaky77

Yeah I am not very happy with how they have handled this whole game, I don't know how much of that is on Ubisoft since Evolution was such a smooth game and all that.
But I haven't played in a while I probably should check out some user created tracks

atomsk

Party Pooper
Yeah I am not very happy with how they have handled this whole game, I don't know how much of that is on Ubisoft since Evolution was such a smooth game and all that.

RedLynx got bought about 6 months before Evolution came out, I doubt Ubi had time to do anything besides slap their name on it.

Fusion is where Ubi is calling all the shots, and it shows.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The multiplayer update is out by the way, since I didn't see it posted

Oooh, finally! This is gonna be fun. I hope.

EDIT: Played a few rounds, seems to work well enough. Haven't really experienced any lag. I've seen other players lag to hell and back, but that doesn't affect me.

It's a bummer that this is just supercross though. Going head-to-head on proper trials tracks, making it more about technical skills than speed, was great fun in Evo.

EDIT 2: And damn, there are so few tracks. Why not let us play user-created ones? They're quick to download.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
New DLC pack is out. I already got the 100 GS achievement for beating all of the tracks. I beat the new extreme track on my second attempt, using the Rabbit even. Hopefully that means I am getting better at the game. lol

My first attempt at it, I got to the last checkpoint with the Pit Viper and hit 500 faults. On my second run with the Rabbit, I completed it in just under 300 faults. While that might sound pathetic, it is good by my standards. :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty good pack, but the single Extreme track is once again way too easy. 32 faults on the first try, 9 on the second. The only of the DLC Extremes that has given me any real trouble so far is Way of the Machine. Wish they had at least two Extremes in each pack, one "easy" like this one and one really difficult. Or hell, why not three! Get rid of one or two of the yawn-inducing Mediums.

(I get that these packs have to work for players of all skill levels, but for those of us who generally find Hard a breeze and only the more difficult Extremes truly challenging there just isn't enough to bite into here.)

Top Bottom