• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tron Legacy screening for one day in Los Angeles with a Q&A featuring Joseph Kosinski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I find it funny that even the people who don't like the movie as a whole, still more or less agree that either the music/visuals or something else they liked. Enough so that they don't want the series dead.

Just received the email. I got two tix.

i6qyBv1.gif

I guess they revised the date. Tuesday, February 28th. Now I gotta figure out how I'm getting out of work.

Ah man, this plays with my heart. I want Tron 3 so bad.

Now I'm reminded of how much fun the ARG was that led up to Legacy. I think I still have my Encom badge laying around somewhere.

I've still got my badge but I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I'm gunna wear it when I go.

Hale-XF11

Ah man, this plays with my heart. I want Tron 3 so bad.

Now I'm reminded of how much fun the ARG was that led up to Legacy. I think I still have my Encom badge laying around somewhere.

I've still got my badge but I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I'm gunna wear it when I go.

I still have BOTH my badges (one was a misprint), a poster of the look and find game, a Space Invaderspin, two sprite pins, a Flynn Lives pin, the stickers of that 89 logo, and the postcard set of the retro games. I loved that damn ARG haha

I need Tron 3, my dudes. I need it.

Honestly, I hope they use this opportunity to announce one of the few things I want:

TRON Uprising Season 2

The first season was so good, and shows that have half the quality of that one have gone on for a lot longer.

Also TRON 3 would be nice.

Hale-XF11

At this point in time, I'm thinking Tron 3 in 360 degree VR would be appropriate, given the current leap in technology. But I'm dreaming, I know.

Guy.brush

I would be up for it, even though I disliked that wacko ending with virtual Olivia Wilde getting
out into the real world

If they do it, it should be called T3.ON though, not TR3N.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I really loved the movie, but it was badly hurt by the current insistence on casting handsome no-name, no-charisma male leads (often Aussie or UK playing American roles, also for no good reason). See also Avatar, Pacific Rim, etc. Like they detract from the film and contrast clumsily with tthe much better supoirting actors. It's bonkers and even a child could recognize what a bad idea it is.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I really loved the movie, but it was badly hurt by the current insistence on casting handsome no-name, no-charisma male leads (often Aussie or UK playing American roles, also for no good reason). See also Avatar, Pacific Rim, etc. Like they detract from the film and contrast clumsily with tthe much better supoirting actors. It's bonkers and even a child could recognize what a bad idea it is.

To be fair, the writers didn't exactly give Garrett Hedlund the greatest material to work with.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I rewatched this recently, and I've become a little obsessed with it. I know it's not exceptional as a story or with the acting, but the music, the effects, the art, and the action are exceptional.

The soundtrack from Daft Punk is incredible (no surprises when Kosinski roped in M83 for the equally awesome Oblivion soundtrack).

Need to see if there's a 4K release...

Kind of off topic, but I think one of the most interesting things about Tron: Legacy is how well the score mirrors the movie itself, both good and bad. They're both engaging and charming, unique, slick and punchy, but also very disjointed, gaudy and soulless at times. Daft Punk really sounds like they don't know how to compose a score, it's like they had music for the separate moods of the movie but didn't know how to transition it together. And that's how the movie felt; a bunch of cool shit happening with weird timing and transitions, both directing and acting. And I'm someone that listens to the soundtrack to this day, it has awesome elements to it, how it's cut in the movie is just awkward though, but maybe that's not Daft Punk's responsibility.

But if Tron 3 was basically Legacy with a little more cohesiveness, it could be something straight up amazing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kind of off topic, but I think one of the most interesting things about Tron: Legacy is how well the score mirrors the movie itself, both good and bad. They're both engaging and charming, unique, slick and punchy, but also very disjointed, gaudy and soulless at times. Daft Punk really sounds like they don't know how to compose a score, it's like they had music for the separate moods of the movie but didn't know how to transition it together. And that's how the movie felt; a bunch of cool shit happening with weird timing and transitions, both directing and acting. And I'm someone that listens to the soundtrack to this day, it has awesome elements to it, how it's cut in the movie is just awkward though, but maybe that's not Daft Punk's responsibility.

But if Tron 3 was basically Legacy with a little more cohesiveness, it could be something straight up amazing.

Watch the movie on mute with Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation.

You're welcome.

jelly

He was another type like Taylor Kitsch which studios were desperate to make happen.

I wish Kosinski would get a good script. He is so close to something great.

GeeTeeCee

Not only does the lack of a current sequel to Tron Legacy still hurt, but also the fact that Tron Uprising got cancelled so swiftly. There were a couple of episodes that weren't just good "for a kids cartoon," but were damn good television in general.

I refuse to get my hopes up.

Hale-XF11

I thought Garrett did fine in the role, even if he doesn't have the same level of charisma as say, Jeff Bridges. The only part of the movie that irked me was the line "now that is a big door." His delivery there was terrible and could have been alleviated by the director demanding a better take.

-shadow-

I loved Legacy, so I'm all for a third film! Or a continuation of the series, I'll take that also.

This movie is just mind-boggling good looking on an OLED TV. So gooooooooood

What I'd do for seeing this with HDR! I think the film was only shot at 2K, so that'll be most interesting on 4K blu-ray.

that album > RAM.

As much as I love RAM and think it's one of the best albums made in the past decade or so. I agree here, the soundtrack is amazing!

Jawmuncher

Two more days until the screening. The facebook has basically been quiet since with the last post on Feb 16th. Here's hoping.

Two more days until the screening. The facebook has basically been quiet since with the last post on Feb 16th. Here's hoping.

The screening is tonight. It got moved up.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out but I'm sure if there is any significant news, it'll be on the net long before I make a post here.

Jawmuncher

The screening is tonight. It got moved up.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out but I'm sure if there is any significant news, it'll be on the net long before I make a post here.

OH SHIT!
Definitely let us know how it goes.
Even if no Tron 3 gets announced. Some details on the Q&A would be appreciated.

To get it out of the way: No Tron 3 announcement. Of course he talked about it a bit, though.

He tried to make it clear that it's not dead as in gone for good or vetoed, it's just not been picked up. The script was 80% there, though still with another 8 months or so of tweaking probably.
He believes the reason is this: Now that Disney is busy with Star Wars and Marvel, when the choice comes down to making another Star Wars or making a Tron sequel, they're going to pick Star Wars. Even if Tron 3 were to perform really well, it probably wouldnt pull Star Wars numbers. Theyre just more concerned with putting their resources into other properties right now.

As for details about the movie: To be called 'Tron Ascension." It was to be an invasion movie, but instead of the threat coming from outside (like aliens from space), they'd be coming from within (computers). First act in the real world, second act on the grid, third back in the real world. As for returning characters, Sam and Quora of course. He also said it wouldn't be Tron without Tron and Kevin Flynn so you can assume they would return. Ed Dillinger Jr, who only had brief moments in Legacy, was to be a major player in the movie as well. He mentioned Encom and Dillinger Corp so I assume Jr started a rival company after he was booted from Encom by the returning Sam.

He says 3 is still definitely alive in cryosleep, but considering how many details he's dishing out I'm thinking he doesn't have high hopes for it happening.

I think most of that was probably already known, but there it is. One interesting thing to note was that in the time Collider has been doing these types of contests, demand for tickets was never higher than for this screening and that includes an early showing of Civil War. For the first time they used both screens at IMAX headquarters for the contest rather than just one. There were two producers sitting in the audience, I hope that perks their ears up.

To get it out of the way: No Tron 3 announcement. Of course he talked about it a bit, though.

He tried to make it clear that it's not dead as in gone for good or vetoed, it's just not been picked up. The script was 80% there, though still with another 8 months or so of tweaking probably.
He believes the reason is this: Now that Disney is busy with Star Wars and Marvel, when the choice comes down to making another Star Wars or making a Tron sequel, they're going to pick Star Wars. Even if Tron 3 were to perform really well, it probably wouldnt pull Star Wars numbers. Theyre just more concerned with putting their resources into other properties right now.

As for details about the movie: To be called 'Tron Ascension." It was to be an invasion movie, but instead of the threat coming from outside (like aliens from space), they'd be coming from within (computers). First act in the real world, second act on the grid, third back in the real world. As for returning characters, Sam and Quora of course. He also said it wouldn't be Tron without Tron and Kevin Flynn so you can assume they would return. Ed Dillinger Jr, who only had brief moments in Legacy, was to be a major player in the movie as well. He mentioned Encom and Dillinger Corp so I assume Jr started a rival company after he was booted from Encom by the returning Sam.

He says 3 is still definitely alive in cryosleep, but considering how many details he's dishing out I'm thinking he doesn't have high hopes for it happening.

I think most of that was probably already known, but there it is. One interesting thing to note was that in the time Collider has been doing these types of contests, demand for tickets was never higher than for this screening and that includes an early showing of Civil War. For the first time they used both screens at IMAX headquarters for the contest rather than just one. There were two producers sitting in the audience, I hope that perks their ears up.

thanks for the post! :)

Jawmuncher

Thanks for this. Definitely hope the fact that this was colliders biggest showing indeed has them a bit more interested now. Especially if they want to use those characters from legacy before people get too old.

Scarecrow

I liked the theory someone posed years ago that Cillian Murphy would be the antagonist of the third movie, reviving the MCP for a climax to the trilogy.

RS4-

It's almost like Disney couldn't risk a bomb because they don't have other franchises to make money.

Coxy100

Banned

Thanks for this mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom