• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trophy Rarity is fascinating

malfcn

It's interesting when they are to the effect of :

Start a game 70%
Press a button 37%

Accidental sign in ?
I've had it happen to me. But some drop offs are perplexing.

MaKTaiL

I always find it interesting that the trophy for beating MGSV Ground Zeroes (PS4) is only at 53.2%. It's higher on PS3 (71.2%), but I'm not sure how big the difference is in playerbase. The PS4 version of GZ was given out on Plus a while back.

Count me in on the number of people who didn't finish it. Hated the game BTW. Got it for free on PSN+, it's just not my cup of tea.

yyr

Plese elaborate on why that is the case, I'm genuinely curious.

Achievement stats tell you next to nothing about how many people actually care about achievements. They only tell you about what percentage of players who started the game completed the goals. There's no "why," that's just the way it is.

Question 1: if there's a trophy for clearing mission 1 of some random game, and 80% of players earned it, what does that tell you about the percentage of players who actually cared about earning the trophy?

Answer: It tells you nothing. There is absolutely zero information you can infer from this.

Question 2: if 10% of players earned a Platinum trophy for a game, and 90% did not, what does that tell you?

Answer: At most, it tells you that 10% cared enough to earn the Platinum. It doesn't tell you anything about the feelings of the other 90%, who may or may not have cared about the trophies that they actually did earn.

Hopefully that explanation was sufficient.

KyleP29

PS4 version of Destiny
only 22% completed a Raid

no matchmaking.

Some people do not want to go through the hassle to find a group..

This is where you can only read so far into trophy data.

I think its disingenuous to relate the rarity of a raid completion on lack of matchmaking or not being able to find a group.

Does it make up a part of it? Sure.

I am part of the 78% who never completed a raid. Not because there was no matchmaking or because it was hard to find a group. But because I, like many people, bounced off that game hard within the first 2 weeks before the raid released due to frustration of what the end game was at that point.

Others took one look at the story and stuck to PvP, or like many other games, fell off and never progressed to a point they could raid.

I did come back to destiny, ended up sinking 44 days of play time into and completing many normal and hard mode raids. None of that is indicated in my trophy history as I picked the game up again on xbox.

SomTervo

The amount of "Beat the game" trophies with, like, 50% rarity always baffles me. This happens with every single game, a lot of people buy games and just never finish them.

I think a lot of people (probably most who play/have played games) see them and use them as 'toys'.

That is, you pick it up, you play with it, you put it down whenever.

They don't pick up a big box of LEGO with the goal of 'completing' it, and the same goes for a videogame.

Hycran

Banned
I have most of the trophies in sword art online: hollow fragment and there is a trophy for each of the 25 bosses you beat as you progress through the floors. There is literally no clearer way to see not only exactly where people are quitting, but also how few people stay to the end.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the people who tended to beat all bosses the went on to do much of the additional content.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Never really been interested in Trophies/Achievements, but I do think the percentages are quite fascinating, especially for exclusive titles.

I always find myself wondering about how low the numbers are for actually finishing games, as in beating the final boss or finishing the main story, because those numbers are pretty much always low.

xboxster

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is hilarious. Most that have the game played the first two levels. After that, basic things in the game are considered rare because nobody bothered to go further.

I'm playing on Xbox One, but I imagine it's something similar on PS4.

(Good THPS5 Tip: Mute in-game music, start up Pandora radio station for a song from the original games = instantly better experience.)

Dunan

I take irrational pride in having two 0.1% trophies in Sine Mora; the number of people with platinums can't possibly be more than a few hundred.

I also like games that came from the pre-trophy "in-game accomplishment" era which have had those accomplishments converted to trophies. In Valkyria Chronicles, for example, you can basically play and enjoy the entire game and only get one "trophy" (the one for finishing the game), but then on a second playthrough get all kinds of other ones. That would never happen if the game had been designed with trophies from the ground up; each of the 18 chapters would probably have one.

Drop by the OT on the community side. The game is in a lull now but the raids are some of the best content.
I will definitely do that. Just class and work are kicking my ass right now. Hopefully in a few weeks I can join again.

D1 is still my favorite game on the PS4.

taizuke

I always find it interesting that the trophy for beating MGSV Ground Zeroes (PS4) is only at 53.2%. It's higher on PS3 (71.2%), but I'm not sure how big the difference is in playerbase. The PS4 version of GZ was given out on Plus a while back.

That means less people own it and beat it on PS3 therefore the percentage is going to be higher.

A lot of games just aren’t consistently good to hold people’s attention. A lot of people don’t have the patience for bullshit in games too and if trophy stats help to improve that, then I’m all the more for them.

Lollipop Chainsaw
Completed Prologue: 92.9%
Peeped under Juliet's skirt once: 64.9%

giphy.webp

jk

Achievement stats tell you next to nothing about how many people actually care about achievements. They only tell you about what percentage of players who started the game completed the goals. There's no "why," that's just the way it is.

Question 1: if there's a trophy for clearing mission 1 of some random game, and 80% of players earned it, what does that tell you about the percentage of players who actually cared about earning the trophy?

Answer: It tells you nothing. There is absolutely zero information you can infer from this.

Question 2: if 10% of players earned a Platinum trophy for a game, and 90% did not, what does that tell you?

Answer: At most, it tells you that 10% cared enough to earn the Platinum. It doesn't tell you anything about the feelings of the other 90%, who may or may not have cared about the trophies that they actually did earn.

Ok, so the obvious answer here is it tells you that 20% of the people who bought the game didn't even bother to complete the first mission. This has nothing to do with "caring about the trophy." Whether or not you care about trophies, it's still generally expected that people will want to play the game they paid for. Not completing the first mission indicates they haven't done that. Maybe it's too hard. Maybe they got it for free or on sale and just don't care to play it. But it's up to the developer to figure out why.

taizuke

You go to Hell
Start a new game for the first time (Any difficulty setting) - Shadows of the Dammed

After you finish the intro which is basically a 15 mins tutorial you press start and that's how you get that trophy. It sits at 99.2% on PSN.

Either people haven't synced their trophies or they just didn't like the game enough to finish the intro.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I found this interesting on my current playthrough of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD on XB1.

Chapter Five has a massive dropoff in completion, as the two achievements associated with it are both well below 10%. That chapter has a particularly bad "boss" structure where at least one fight basically requires a ranged character like Ace, which without advanced notice, you can easily not know (you assign two different groups simultaneously before you can start it, and it's not clear which you're controlling, which makes this a more likely goof than usual).

The Type-0 chapter five thing isn't an inconsequential amount of time into the game either, which makes that design stumble all the more obvious as a cause of people saying "well fuck this."

I actually left off on that chapter or just beyond it I think on PS4. It was a healthy amount of hours into the game for sure, possibly 20 or more. I personally didn't quit out of frustration due to any combat or challenge, but I really just had my fill.

I am usually exceptionally patient with games and have several platinums that attest to my curiosity to finish something I didn't enjoy out of morbid curiosity. Type-0 had reached even my limit as I was checked out at far earlier, but still gave it far more time before calling it quits.

I've got a 0% on Until Dawn since I downloaded it, then booted it up to make sure there were no further patches or updates needed. Was planning to play it at my friend's house, but now I'm going to wait for Halloween to start it.

My boyfriend and I are signed into the same PS4, and I know I accidentally started some stuff up on his profile that he hasn't actually played yet, so he has some 0%s.

I wish it wouldn't add a game to your trophy list until you earn at least one trophy in it.

Because most players aren't going to play it on commander or care to get SS rankings.
Okay.

Still haven't started that yet :>)
Still disappointed in you.

Devastation was a PS Plus game, right? The rarity percentages probably got messed up from hundreds of thousands of people playing the game for 30 minutes and then uninstalling it.
That was free on PS+, right?

I find that games that were free on GWG or PS+ have a far lower completion % than others. The folks trying them didn't pay into them at all, so they have nothing invested other than time. I wouldn't be shocked if many players start these games and then drop them after just an hour or two.

Now if you want to see something depressing, fire up your XB1 and go to the game hub for Super Dungeon Bros, a giveaway game that few people liked. Go to Achievements and take a look. Almost EVERY Achievement has a 0.01% completion rate or similar.
Yes, you two are right thinking that would affect it -- but it was at that rate before it went on PS+.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Definitely want to give W3 more credit as I was expected FAR less people to have made progress in that game than the stats show(PS4). It's been a year since I checked, but I remember a healthy % of players actually made it to the end(20-30% IIRC but need confirmation).

Sadly, no one touched the DLC in comparison. Like criminally few even got the easy trophies in either.

I've got a 0% on Until Dawn since I downloaded it, then booted it up to make sure there were no further patches or updates needed.

My boyfriend and I are signed into the same PS4, and I know I accidentally started some stuff up on his profile that he hasn't actually played yet, so he has some 0%s.

I wish it wouldn't add a game to your trophy list until you earn at least one trophy in it.

I have plenty of these as well. Games I purchased and either accidentally booted from a controller dropping on the floor(thus no 'freebie' trophies since I never actually made it to a menu before quitting out). I have even backed out of a few games after launching due to unforseen circumstances, like plans changing and I need to leave, or a work call that comes in and leaves me with no desire to play after sitting at the title screen waiting.

I have definitely booted some games to ensure the latest patches were installed and updated and not playing, before realizing I can avoid that process by hitting options on the game tile and checking for patches.

Just plenty of rationale for not having some of the freebie trophies.

Z..

So you're saying my argument was based on a fallacious assumption and therefore it does not stand up to scrutiny. Which is entirely true. In other words, it is indeed sufficient.

Some are interesting in terms of highlighting different things.

- Bad game design...

GTA V - Three Many Army: Survive 3 minutes on at least 3 star Wanted level with all 3 characters together off mission -

Rarity: Ultra Rare (1.1%)

Really? Being able to hangout with all 3 characters off mission is arguably the best part of free roam, and only 1.1% have genuinely even used it (and I say "genuinely used it" because if you've even used it 3-4 times, chances are you've at least got a 3 star Wanted Level before).

Such rarity kinda highlights how poorly a great feature was highlighted.

- Why people play games

GTA V - 'Complete Heist 1' = Rarity of 38.8%
Finish the Arms Smuggling missions for Trevor = 1.3%

Kinda highlights just how many people probably play GTA V just to play SP free roam or GTA Online

- Just interesting behaviour

Deus Ex MD
31.1% beat the game; surprisingly 26% beat the game and watched the credits; only 8.7% beat the game and during the ending sequence
used the antidote to save Jim; means the other 22.4% took the utilitarian/greater good approach to saving the antidote

XCOM 2
Kill a Sectopod the same turn you encounter it = 36.2%
Kill 3 enemies in a single turn, with a single soldier, NOT using explosives = 35.6%

XCOM players are hardcore lol

Chitown B

You go to Hell
Start a new game for the first time (Any difficulty setting) - Shadows of the Dammed

After you finish the intro which is basically a 15 mins tutorial you press start and that's how you get that trophy. It sits at 99.2% on PSN.

Either people haven't synced their trophies or they just didn't like the game enough to finish the intro.

LOL. I hard quit that game pretty early and then came back to it. It's definitely an acquired taste.

Head.spawn

Same. As far as I know you still have to look at your trophies to sync them on PS4, and im sure a not insignificant amount of people never bother.

I'm still not even totally sure how it works on PS4... is it still manual? I saw the Trophy menu screen once and may have synced I think.

I know I manually synced maybe once or twice on PS3, total.

Segaswirl

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is hilarious. Most that have the game played the first two levels. After that, basic things in the game are considered rare because nobody bothered to go further.

That's pretty much what I did when I recently bought THPS5 on sale, did the first 2 levels then went hunting on ebay for a real THPS game. Settled for American Wasteland for the 360 seeing as it's the last of the PS2 era games, hopefully it's decent.

Devastation was a PS Plus game, right? The rarity percentages probably got messed up from hundreds of thousands of people playing the game for 30 minutes and then uninstalling it.

That's me. Played around two hours before I stopped and finally uninstalled it a couple of months later to free up some space for other games.

On topic, I love checking trophy percentage to see what other people did.

Toki767

Telltale trophies are always interesting to look at. Less than half the people the play make it to the very end in like all of their games.

Telltale trophies are always interesting to look at. Less than half the people the play make it to the very end in like all of their games.

First episode is often given away for free though, so many of the people who didn't finish are probably people who just played the free episode.

Comparing the amount of people who go all the way through the season to the amount of people who finish the second episode of the season may be more relevant

Yeah,

I was really sad that all of the expansion content for Sunset Overdrive comes with the "diamond" rare-achievement sound when you hit them.

It literally just means no one bought the expansion content relative to the base-game :(

Shame as it was some of the best content in the game, especially the finale.

I felt the exact same way when I played through the final DLC for Inquisition "Trespasser". Its a really really great DLC and adds a ton to the core narrative as well as setting up the next Dragon Age in an incredibly exciting way

And only 4% of players completed it :-(

First episode is often given away for free though, so many of the people who didn't finish are probably people who just played the free episode.

Comparing the amount of people who go all the way through the season to the amount of people who finish the second episode of the season may be more relevant

Yeah Telltale games actually have very high completion percentages, especially when factoring in as you said many of their games have the 1st episode given away for free

TheFatMan

I see this a lot in JRPGs or really long WRPGS.

I know in Tales sometimes less than 20% of people beat the final boss fights.....which is weird to me.

Chozo_Lord

I think trophy percentages should be based off of a "base" trophy for starting the game. Right now you can load a game, check the trophies, and never play the game again and still be counted towards the percentage. If there was a base trophy for actually starting the game, I bet the trophy percentages would be much higher. I remember sharing my ps3 with other people and accidentally loading their game which I had no intention of playing, and now that game is on my trophy list.

I think trophy percentages should be based off of a "base" trophy for starting the game. Right now you can load a game, check the trophies, and never play the game again and still be counted towards the percentage. If there was a base trophy for actually starting the game, I bet the trophy percentages would be much higher. I remember sharing my ps3 with other people and accidentally loading their game which I had no intention of playing, and now that game is on my trophy list.

I mean, nothing stops us people who are interested in this stuff from making this comparison ourselves

Divide completion trophy percentage by start-up trophy percentage to get the true completion percentage

I mean, nothing stops us people who are interested in this stuff from making this comparison ourselves

Divide completion trophy percentage by start-up trophy percentage to get the true completion percentage
Yeah. Like the ~1% of GTA V players who have actually hung out in free roam with all 3 characters.

Considering that 61% of GTA V players have never even reached Trevor before... It does give that first stat a bit more context lol.

Jimrpg

Something like 30-40% of people finished Nioh I think, which is crazy to me, and not much of a drop off from start to finish.

The game is 60+ hours long and some of the bosses are bloody hard.

All these trophy stats tell me is that people like to buy games to support stuff they like and playing and beating them is a completely separate matter.

I've got a 0% on Until Dawn since I downloaded it, then booted it up to make sure there were no further patches or updates needed. Was planning to play it at my friend's house, but now I'm going to wait for Halloween to start it.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but you can deleted 0% trophy lists from your account.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but you can deleted 0% trophy lists from your account.

If you have a PS4. If you have a Vita you can hide them regardless of %. I don't think you can do both on a single system, though, which is kinda weird (unless they've changed it on PS4—mine is in another country these days, so I can't check).

(Good THPS5 Tip: Mute in-game music, start up Pandora radio station for a song from the original games = instantly better experience.)
Better THPS5 tip: Don't play THPS5 = instantly better experience

And this is coming from a TH fan who attempted to complete the game, but it was shit. Just shit wrapped in a shit tortilla served under shit sauce and presented with sides of more shit.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Yeah, I just looked for The Simpsons in the Xbox app (that took a lot of scrolling and searching - thanks lack of search bar), and that has an achievement for pressing start. It's literally called "Press START to Play", with the description "Easiest achievement...ever".

93.45% of gamers have unlocked this.

That's not even a trophy syncing issue, as the 360 automatically does it. There are x number of people who have launched the game, and not even pressed start to get past the title.

Didn't that game have a co op mode? I never had a 360, so I'm not 100% sure on how things like that worked, but is it possible that a certain number of people had the achievements register on their profile because they signed in for a co op session? That might explain how they never got the achievement for pressing start.

I'm picturing a scenario where player one starts the game, presses start and then selects co op mode. At that point, player two joins and signs in to their profile. Since they never went through the start menu, that particular achievement wouldn't have unlocked.

Trophy data is fascinating and cuts both ways--even the "story related" trophies you unlock just for playing through a game, while they might not be particularly hard or rewarding, those trophies exist because they tell developers and publishers how many people are completing their game. Trophies also tell them how many gamers are bothering to complete tasks that might not be mandatory, influencing how things are approached in a sequel. There are inherently good things about trophies and achievements, and if some gamers don't care for them, that's fine too. Pretty sure notifications can be turned off on all the major systems now.

I'm still not even totally sure how it works on PS4... is it still manual? I saw the Trophy menu screen once and may have synced I think.

I know I manually synced maybe once or twice on PS3, total.

On PS4, Clicking on the Trophies icon from the home screen syncs your trophies. Unlike PS3, this has always been a very fast process, but with the recent upgrade it takes about 1 to 5 seconds now depending on how many are being uploaded.

Rncewind

while of course this is not a 100 % solid representation of the games out there, i agree with op, you find out so many things. 10 years ago i thought for example when some devs told you most people dont even play through their games was bullshit but looking at trophy and achivements on xbox is really true.

Hesemonni

Banned
PS4 version of Destiny
only 22% completed a Raid
I checked out of curiosity and the same achievement on Xbone is 20.17%. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same or even a bit higher before LFG was implemented. Which I might add, made me be able to complete my first raid.

farisr

How accurate are these trophies? I'm sure Luke Smith said 50% of players teamed up and beat a raid back at the destiny 2 reveal.
I believe what was said was "50% of people who reached the level cap, completed a raid" So I could see that happening, 44% of the entire population reached the level cap, 50% of those, or 22% of the total population, completed a raid.

Ozigizo

You see a ton of super rare trophies with ps+ games. A ton of people download them and play them for 10 minutes.

xrnzaaas

You see a ton of super rare trophies with ps+ games. A ton of people download them and play them for 10 minutes.

That's true. One of the rarest trophies in my collection (0.8%) is the one from Outlast 1 for finding all collectibles and it doesn't actually require that much effort.

Top Bottom