• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau called Merkel to avoid calling out Trump at G20 summit over climate

djkimothy

Trump is an irrational actor on the world stage and it is damn terrifying. That is why I think the other nations splitting up like this instead of forming a united front is a bigger danger to them. Trump can push single nations around with this threats, but that is why we have alliances and partners.

That's nice. And he tears up NAFTA. Now what? What is Canada supposed to do? What leverage do we have to justifying a power play during the G20.

This shows how little you know Germany and Merkel. If it were up to germans they'd have nothing to do with any of this and keep things as they were under Obama.

Merkel herself said multiple times (the last time today) she doesn't want and she doesn't feel comfortable to be in this position due to germanys past.

This whole leader of the free world talk is mostly talk within english speaking media and germans are rather uncomfortable with it.

Fuck off with that shit and stop pretending germany was alone on setting conditions to give south europeans money.

Then why did it leak....

Ok maybe she doesn't want top spot but certainly she seems interested in some increase of influence.

Which I'm not claiming is a bad thing btw.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So you ignore that time Trump handed merkel a 100 billion dollar bill, threatened to impose tariffs on steel when she was in washington or that time he told the juncker and tusk he's gonna put tariffs on german car exports.

Good to see you are informed.
Now come back and talk to us when one of those things actually turns into something real. We have punitive tariffs in effect right now. You have a piece of paper and some angry tweets.

Once again you fail to understand that a trade war between the US and germany means a trade war between the US and the EU.

Which is why you're safe and we're not.

Xando

Then why did it leak....

Maybe she doesn't want top spot but certainly she seems interested in some increase if influence.

Because Spiegel has some very good sources within the chancellory.
They repeatedly get storys from within which are both positive and negative for Merkel.

I mean just today they revealed that german car makers are still cheating on emissions.

That's nice. And he tears up NAFTA. Now what? What is Canada supposed to do? What leverage do we have to justifying a power play during the G20.
The fact that Trump is threatening NAFTA already shows he wants to fuck over Canada. Don't think just keeping quiet about other issues is going to do that much.

Look, I'm not really blaming Trudeau too much and I get his reasoning. I just don't think it will work with someone like Trump, because he will screw you either way, so better align yourself with trustworthy partners and try to make a bloc.

Because Spiegel has some very good sources within the chancellory.
They repeatedly get storys from within which are both positive and negative for Merkel.

I mean just today they revealed that german car makers are still cheating on emissions.

Ok fair enough.

Thanks for the context.

I apologize for my assumption

djkimothy

The fact that Trump is threatening NAFTA already shows he wants to fuck over Canada. Don't think just keeping quiet about other issues is going to do that much.

Look, I'm not really blaming Trudeau too much and I get his reasoning. I just don't think it will work with someone like Trump, because he will screw you either way, so better align yourself with trustworthy partners and try to make a bloc.

LOL, you clearly haven't been paying attention. The guy just increased tariffs on our lumber on a FUCKING WHIM. I won't put it by him to retaliate by tearing up NAFTA if he felt so inclined to for humiliating him on the world stage. I'm just glad you're not in public policy.

Don't think Trump can do that, just congress. I think...

Oh that's so fucking reassuring. Yah, congress. That institution that is willing to apply a border tax on goods across the border. That congress? Or is this a congress from fantasy land keeping their checks and balances on fucking incompetent president?

Merkel can afford to have a few spats with the US but not Canada.

For context, Trump put tariffs on Canadian lumber, and tens of thousands of jobs are on the line (you know, Canadian lumberjacks...). I don't like that we're in this position but Trudeau has to do what he's got to do.

Slime

Banned
Pretty dick move to leak this. Canada has basically no other option than public appeasement.

If there were any other climate-denying president in the White House I would say this tactic was cowardly, but everything is way too volatile with Trump. He's ready to burn everything down just to pander to some farmers. He could destroy our economy if he just doesn't like the way Trudeau looks at him.

Trudeau is smart to ride this out and work through other avenues. Going head to head with Trump is not an option.

Cynar

I mean, obviously they are going to have to play ball with him, unfortunately. At least, that's what traditional thought says.

The problem is, eventually they're going to realize that they don't need to keep up the old paradigm, and that there's really no repercussions to ignoring Trump and treating him like an ignorant child. So I really think the US has from now until that indeterminate time to figure out a way to make ourselves stay relevant to the world on a lot of these issues, otherwise the world will just keep turning without anyone caring about the declining hegemon.

As for Trudeau, I'm just not sure what he's playing at. I'm inclined to think he thinks he can tame Trump and keep him in line, which would ultimately up his appeal abroad if that's something he can do.
We (Canada) stated we're disappointed in the Americans on June 1st and we're going to push forward. That's the extent of it.

JordanN

Banned
You can definitely criticize, but the issue I take (and others have taken) is that people are criticizing while ignoring geopolitical context. I've already explained that Trudeau is operating under a specific strategy re: Trump that can be summed up as "Pick your spots and don't mention him by name". This story essentially demonstrates the execution of that strategy. Meanwhile, most of those criticizing Trudeau in this thread essentially are just going "lol Trudeau all-talk".

For me, I'm not interested in geopolitics. I'm interested in politicians who care about me at a human level.

Trudeau already lives a life better than most Canadians. He doesn't have to worry how Trump personally affects him because his life will go on regardless.

It's that level of disconnect in politics I despise. Because they're making decisions for millions of other people but rarely ever face the consequences for it.

And I hold this true for all politicians. Like Obama for example. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of politics at play that he couldn't personally stop all those drone strikes around the world. But he's still a person who wields that much power that ordinary citizens can only watch as civilians get bombed to death without wondering "is this really right?".

It is in this country, it will do nothing in the overall process to decouple our reliance on hydrocarbons. I don't trust the government at all with any concept of taxing people into submission. They should have made more incentives for green living besides the stick and carrot they've adopted

Who do you think pays for government incentives? Electric cars and LED bulbs don't fall from the sky. Carbon tax to subsidize green products (and give rebates to low income/seniors) is exactly what your Alberta government is doing. I mean, I prefer a carbon tax to be revenue neutral but what the Alberta NDP did is exactly what you wanted.

4Tran

Pretty dick move to leak this. Canada has basically no other option than public appeasement.

If there were any other climate-denying president in the White House I would say this tactic was cowardly, but everything is way too volatile with Trump. He's ready to burn everything down just to pander to some farmers. He could destroy our economy if he just doesn't like the way Trudeau looks at him.

Trudeau is smart to ride this out and work through other avenues. Going head to head with Trump is not an option.
It's less this and more that it's not the job of a national leader to criticize a different sovereign nation. That never does anything other than to make the leader in question look good at the expense of that sovereign nation. In an international forum like the G20, there are much more important things to do that will require the assistance of the US, so alienating them is generally not the right tactic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Merkel can afford to have a few spats with the US but not Canada.

For context, Trump put tariffs on Canadian lumber, and tens of thousands of jobs are on the line (you know, Canadian lumberjacks...). I don't like that we're in this position but Trudeau has to do what he's got to do.
But there's not going to be a way to fix that. The government wants to give them financial aid to find new jobs, and the American logging companies are crying that it is a form of government subsidy. Who do you think Trump will side with in that fight?

LOL, you clearly haven't been paying attention. The guy just increased tariffs on our lumber on a FUCKING WHIM. I won't put it by him to retaliate by tearing up NAFTA if he felt so inclined to for humiliating him on the world stage. I'm just glad you're not in public policy.
Huh? I was making exactly the point in the post you quoted that because he is already fucking over Canada, just standing there and taking it won't help you guys out. He'll find another reason if he wants to.

And yes, I'm also glad I am not in charge of all this, because the whole situation is a shit storm.

You know that an all-out trade war wouldn't be that great for Germany either, right?

You do realize that, despite having an economy nearly twice the size of Canada, Germany does only a small fraction of the trade with the U.S. that Canada does?

It's an apples and oranges discussion. Canada is far more reliant on trade with the U.S. than Germany is, and that's why Trudeau is treading carefully, especially in light of prior comments by Trump about withdrawing from NAFTA. Canada has way more to lose than Germany does.

But there's not going to be a way to fix that. The government wants to give them financial aid to find new jobs, and the American logging companies are crying that it is a form of government subsidy. Who do you think Trump will side with in that fight?

We're in the 6 month cool off period for NAFTA renegotiations, it's not only lumber.

oti

Banned
You do realize that, despite having an economy nearly twice the size of Canada, Germany does only a small fraction of the trade with the U.S. that Canada does?

It's an apples and oranges discussion. Canada is far more reliant on trade with the U.S. than Germany is, and that's why Trudeau is treading carefully, especially in light of prior comments by Trump about withdrawing from NAFTA. Canada has way more to lose than Germany does.

Yeah, you're right. It's too easy to be high and mighty about this from our German perspective. I'm sorry about that. But it's too bad that Canada, what should be a close ally, does not work with Germany on this one. The UK is desperate for a trade deal. It's sad, but understandable. Japan is afraid of war with North Korea. But Canada? That's somewhat surprising.

I wouldn't expect Trump/US Congress to scrap trade relations just because of this either to be honest. I get the caution, but it's disappointing.

There is a lot unnecessary outrage here. His statement he released when Trump announced he was leaving the Paris Agreement was pretty good and rather than start a public war of words (with a giant child who gets angry quickly) at a time when Trump is trying to swing a better deal for the U.S during a renegoiated NAFTA (which is bad for Canada), he is trying to keep things low-key.

I think this is the best approach. Regardless if Trump is a piece of shit, Trudeau still needs to be professional and take a careful approach.

I'm not frustrated with Trudeau at all over this. I think it's a little overblown. I get that everyone hates Trump and they all get excited when another leader sticks it to Trump, but Canada borders the U.S and they are so intrinsically linked that starting a little war of words is not a smart play. If anything, this shows Trudeau is a smart guy who understands the smaller, careful approach with the big bully is probably the better one.

Draxal

Trump got Schumer on board for this, its a tit for tat(lumber/dairy) thing.

DJKhaled

Jesus, I'm so fucking disappointed in Trudeau. Not sure if I'm voting for him again.
Lmao cool. Vote conservative. That'll be helpful when it comes to climate change and actual progress on anything. LDP are never making government so it's one or the other. Liberals are the only people a sane person would vote for.

Edit: seriously, what started this Trudeau hate? Is it people being clueless? People see him as week and a liar and all this shit and it makes no sense. Out of all the English speaking countries he is by far the best and most progressive leaders and is probably one of the best and most progressive in the world.

Lmao cool. Vote conservative. That'll be helpful when it comes to climate change and actual progress on anything. LDP are never making government so it's one or the other. Liberals are the only people a sane person would vote for.

Edit: seriously, what started this Trudeau hate? Is it people being clueless? People see him as week and a liar and all this shit and it makes no sense. Out of all the English speaking countries he is by far the best and most progressive leaders and it probably one of the best and most progressive in the world.

He's too handsome and smiley, and we don't have a State of the Union for him to trumpet his accomplishments, so what with the occassional accidental and intentional photo op, he comes off as a glad handing prettyboy.

I think.

Steel

Banned
So is this the future of Canada? To not say anything that will offend America? I thought we were our own independent country?

That's kinda always been where Canada has stood, they were willing to criticize the U.S. but only so far as to not piss off its leaders permanently. And Trump is stupid enough to go nuclear over minor slights. It's not like it changes Canada's own policy.

cerulily

Edit: seriously, what started this Trudeau hate? Is it people being clueless? People see him as week and a liar and all this shit and it makes no sense. Out of all the English speaking countries he is by far the best and most progressive leaders and is probably one of the best and most progressive in the world.

yeah i don't get it either. Clearly there is an axe to grind beforehand. We unforunately don't have the realistic position to be just throwing shit willy-nilly at an erratic and radical leader like Trump. That's not capitulation, that's just smart politics. People need to stop being children who demand to see a tonne of school-yard name-calling thrown around by adults whose decisions can have serious impact. It's not like changing our words about Trump will mean ANYTHING to him, so best air on the side of not poking the rattlesnake.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Like I said in other threads, I know exactly how Sanders supporters feel when Democrats call them traitors and "purists". lol

(Because not liking Trudeau means I'm a Scheer supporter I guess? lulz)

I've had few problems with Trudeau, I hear people talk shit about him everyday and usually defend him. I worry sometimes that the resistence to critique him isn't going to stop him from tearing up NAFTA anyway, and leave Trudeau with an about face and less votes down the line.

Like I said in other threads, I know exactly how Sanders supporters feel when Democrats call them traitors and "purists". lol

I find it particularly hilarious because I was defending his pipeline decision a few months ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He's too handsome and smiley, and we don't have a State of the Union for him to trumpet his accomplishments, so what with the occassional accidental and intentional photo op, he comes off as a glad handing prettyboy.

I think.
I got a haircut in Alberta and the stylist called him "Prime Minister Selfie". :/

And to further add to Trudeau's actions:

Canada's current CO2e projections under a status quo scenario (high to low GDP growth)
20161219-1-en.jpg

How Canada plans to reach it's target

Symbolic gestures such as the one in the OP don't mean anything. It wont affect negotiations with respect to the Paris agreement and it wont change Trump's opinion on it.

If you wan't actual substance, this Canadian government is actually working really hard to deliver. Drive by posters have no idea of what is actually being proposed, and as much as they would like to believe otherwise, have no idea what the government even plans to do. It's sad when 5 seconds of research can teach you everything you need to know.

Dude, no offense but you've been posting nonsense since that kayak thread. Where exactly is Trudeau not delivering with climate?

orochi91

Read the thread.

Ok for anyone who keeps saying this, here we go.

The Trudeau government's concrete actions on climate change:

Pricing carbon pollution

Sustainable and efficient homes and buildings

Transportation

Clean tech R&D

Plus a lot more. All information can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/weather/climatechange/climate-action.html
And to further add to Trudeau's actions:

Canada's current CO2e projections under a status quo scenario (high to low GDP growth)

How Canada plans to reach it's target

Symbolic gestures such as the one in the OP don't mean anything. It wont affect negotiations with respect to the Paris agreement and it wont change Trump's opinion on it.

If you wan't actual substance, this Canadian government is actually working really hard to deliver. Drive by posters have no idea of what is actually being proposed, and as much as they would like to believe otherwise, have no idea what the government even plans to do. It's sad when 5 seconds of research can teach you everything you need to know.

These are excellent posts.

Trudeau is doing nothing wrong in this instance.

Opto

Banned
If you Canadians think Trump won't try to fuck you over no matter what appeasement you gave him, I feel bad.

He's currently fucking over every American that hasn't lick his asshole. He'll probably screw over Trudeau just because he was close to Obama.

Apathy

I would have much preferred a unified voice with the EU. I know that the US is our midst important ally and poking the bear that is trump isn't smart, but this is someplace where we shouldn't waiver. Yes let's do oil deals with the US, keys be cautious, but sometimes history is more important

Top Bottom