• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration backs 20-week abortion ban

The anti choice people always come off as very disingenuous in these arguments.

For one, I don’t see them lining up to take care of a potential baby. I also don’t see them fighting for universal and affordable healthcare for all so that mothers can be fully informed of their situation and reality. I don’t see them fighting for expanded sexual education and contraceptive access.

It is interesting that the US appears a bit less restrictive than some European countries. But their healthcare affordability, education, and access runs circles around the longstanding US reality. You can’t even point to lower infant and maternal mortality rates here in the US.

Society has decided to take care of unwanted babies. So baby can be given up.

Which society has decided to take care of unwanted babies? All babies? Good care?

Hopefully no one waits till week 36 and then changes their mind.
Y'all act like the pregnant woman is the ONLY factor in this decision. Find a doctor to perform a 36-week "abortion" just because, yawn, pregnant lady is so over it. Won't happen. That's beyond finding a statistically significant number of cases in which a woman even sought such a thing for healthy babies absent any other issues (like mental illness).

For some reason I thought this was already in place. Can you really abort at any time during the pregnancy America?
...just... see above. See the whole thread.

I don't see why pro-choicers hate pro-lifers that much and call them anti-women. That's disingenuous. I understand their position that they want to protect human life and that a fetus is a baby in their eyes. I disagree with the but I don't think the position is inherently anti-women.
The very fact that I've spent my entire adult life fighting for basic knowledge about being a woman, that I've been made ashamed over my anatomy, that I have to keep having this conversation, that the threat of bans and bureaucracy and the end of Roe v Wade constantly lingers... all that and more feels pretty anti-woman to me. Inherently.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't see why pro-choicers hate pro-lifers that much and call them anti-women. That's disingenuous. I understand their position that they want to protect human life and that a fetus is a baby in their eyes. I disagree with the but I don't think the position is inherently anti-women.
They don't involve women in the conversation. They are making a choice for them about their own bodies. How is this not inherently anti-women?

Why do they care about fetuses more than humans and children that are out in the world already existing? A lot of "pro-lifers" are also against Universal Healthcare and gun control. No, they don't get to take a moral high ground on imposing pregnancy laws on women they haven't even asked.

You know what is a lot more murky? Regulating by law what women are allowed to do with their own bodies.
At the point where the child has a developed nervous system, limbs and a brain I don't know that it's just her body anymore. At what point is too much?

Highly depends on the situation. If they do the anatomy scan and the baby is missing half it's brain it's not so murky anymore. Which is why laws for abortion are impossible.

Extraordinary circumstances like that should be considered

TBiddy

Which society has decided to take care of unwanted babies? All babies? Good care?

Most modern societies, I'd guess.

Y'all act like the pregnant woman is the ONLY factor in this decision. Find a doctor to perform a 36-week "abortion" just because, yawn, pregnant lady is so over it. Won't happen. That's beyond finding a statistically significant number of cases in which a woman even sought such a thing for healthy babies absent any other issues (like mental illness).

That's not what I said, at all.

The problem with the anti-woman argument is that scores of women are pro-life. Now that doesn't mean these women aren't opposed to their own interests but it's a reality. I've long thought that if the left toned down the anti-abortion rhetoric they'd win a lot of pro-life women voters who are single issue voters.

Remember the time like 20 months ago when I thought Trump was just a racist shit, but I thought he would at least not be a bible thumping racist shit?

Man those were the times!

Mahonay

Banned
The problem with the anti-woman argument is that scores of women are pro-life. Now that doesn't mean these women aren't opposed to their own interests but it's a reality. I've long thought that if the left toned down the anti-abortion rhetoric they'd win a lot of pro-life women voters who are single issue voters.
I'm curious what percentage of women that are anti-abortion are also evangelical/religious?

And of course you'll always have the element that just goes with the far right, no matter how against their own personal interests it is.

necrosis

you can be female and still be a thrall of the patriarchy

anyways, the vast majority of these women wouldn't turn to the left if the left turned down its pro-choice rhetoric; they would just find a new set of rights that they could try to eliminate

Shadybiz

Remember the time like 20 months ago when I thought Trump was just a racist shit, but I thought he would at least not be a bible thumping racist shit?

Man those were the times!

Oh, he doesn't give a fuck about the bible, trust me. In fact I'd be willing to bet that he couldn't name five books from the bible off the top of his head. This is just appealing to his idiotic base, with a little Pence influence thrown in.

Kthulhu

i've confronted several pro-lifers with the notion that they should be responsible for any child born because the mother was unable to pursue an abortion, and they always "counter" that it's the mother's fault for having sex

their position on abortion has little to do with being "pro-life;" it's about punishing liberated women

Yup. It's always puritanical nonsense.

Dude Abides

Banned
Forced pregnancy zealots 1973-2016: Roe v. Wade was wrong! It should be left to the states.

Forced pregnancy zealots 2017: lets ban abortion at the federal level!

Mahonay

Banned
This is silly. He can have an opinion no matter what's in his pants
Men already share their opinion on this quite heavily. Some with the power to impose laws.

Men's voices aren't something that's particularly struggled to be heard. I don't think it's an issue. Especially here, with you know, pregnancy, pregnancies of which they are not carrying.

you can be female and still be a thrall of the patriarchy

anyways, the vast majority of these women wouldn't turn to the left if the left turned down its pro-choice rhetoric; they would just find a new set of rights that they could try to eliminate
Vast majority? Sure but if you snag 10% that's a massive win.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tell us how you really feel.

At some point, a fetus in the womb becomes a human life worth protecting for the same reasons we have laws against murder.

My personal opinion is that human life becomes worth protecting whenever that life achieves consciousness. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but there doesn't seem to be much agreement on when precisely that is. Probably somewhere around "viability", which seems like it's anywhere from 20-24 weeks?

Whenever that cutoff is, when the baby achieves viability, I'm only in favor of abortion in extreme circumstances like risk to the life of the mother,.extreme birth defects, or circumstances like multiple births where all of the babies are at risk of dying if some are not terminated.

I don't feel that there is an epidemic of women choosing to terminate after viability, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be laws against it. And honestly, whether or not 20 weeks is the correct cutoff or not, I really can't really be angry at people who do feel it is the correct cutoff. This is a very grey issue and nobody talks like it is.

Aiustis

Yup I know plenty of women, non religious, left leaning even that are pro life.

Also let's not forget that advocacy needs to be for more support of women with children or having children most abortions are related to financial issues or being unprepared.

Oh, he doesn't give a fuck about the bible, trust me. In fact I'd be willing to bet that he couldn't name five books from the bible off the top of his head. This is just appealing to his idiotic base, with a little Pence influence thrown in.

Oh I agree with you, I just thought the pandering to religious cunts would be mostly surface level not shit like this. (20 months ago that is, by election time I knew I was wrong as hell).

Mahonay

Banned
I'll never understand. But that's ok. Even if I disagree, it's still what should be happening for anything regarding abortion and pregnancies, women deciding what they want, not men.

Is there no possibility of legislating for abortion after twenty weeks but only in the event of massively debilitating conditions?

I'm a man so it's not a decision I'd ever have to make but I can't help but find abortion troubling. Equally a miserable quality of life for parent and child is not something anyone should have to deal with.

RDreamer

But that doesn't make it not anti-woman. Just because a bunch of women also want to impose bad rules on other women doesn't change that fact. The legislation hurts women. It doesn't stop hurting women just because women support it.

If my kid is delighted by me feeding them nothing but twinkles that doesn't suddenly make it a pro-child diet.

The American public sure screwed the pooch on that one.

Fixed.

The American public decided they didn't care about the obstruction.

Syrus

Banned
At some point, a fetus in the womb becomes a human life worth protecting for the same reasons we have laws against murder.

My personal opinion is that human life becomes worth protecting whenever that life achieves consciousness. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but there doesn't seem to be much agreement on when precisely that is. Probably somewhere around "viability", which seems like it's anywhere from 20-24 weeks?

Whenever that cutoff is, when the baby achieves viability, I'm only in favor of abortion in extreme circumstances like risk to the life of the mother,.extreme birth defects, or circumstances like multiple births where all of the babies are at risk of dying if some are not terminated.

I don't feel that there is an epidemic of women choosing to terminate after viability, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be laws against it. And honestly, whether or not 20 weeks is the correct cutoff or not, I really can't really be angry at people who do feel it is the correct cutoff. This is a very grey issue and nobody talks like it is.

What about babies with severe defiencies??

LiK

Keep the babies coming. But once they're out of the womb, they don't give two shits about them.

GodofWine

Oh I agree with you, I just thought the pandering to religious cunts would be mostly surface level not shit like this. (20 months ago that is, by election time I knew I was wrong as hell).

He will pander to anyone dumb enough to think wearing a MAGA hat makes them look good.

Trump is the real life version of a reputation bar in a RPG. He will do anything to increase his standing with any group he can, by any means necessary.

Man, remember when it was thought he was going to run as an independent just to get his good friends the Clinton's back in power.

RDreamer

Vast majority? Sure but if you snag 10% that's a massive win.

You know, except for the people that might need an abortion for whatever reason decided between them, and their doctor.

This is why thinking purely in terms of politics is so off-putting to me. "You could gain X% of people and then you win!!!!!" Win what? I certainly don't 'win' the battle of that particular argument. There was a point in time where people could "win" by deciding our black citizens shouldn't have rights. Would that win be worth the trade? Why is this one?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What about babies with severe life disabilities? Are those things detected before 20 weeks?

there is a test you can do at 13 weeks that looks for birth defects, down syndrome and stillborn syndrome. but that costs $1000 and the insurance doesnt cover it.

the first real ultrasound covered by most insurance companies is at 20 weeks. if there is something wrong with the baby, that is when abortions are performed.

No one is carrying a baby for five months just to change their mind. this isnt directed at you but the poster you replied to. this is a horrifying absolutely disheartening event in every parents life and everyone better hope they dont have to make that decision, let alone have a decision be made for you.

old

We live in a global world. In a global world, the rich with the means to travel enjoy global rights. If abortion is legal somewhere then anyone who can afford to travel has the right to an abortion.

Poor women should demand that if they're reproductive rights get taken then so should rich women's too. Poor women should demand a new fully staffed bureau be created to monitor, investigate and prosecute rich women who fly to foreign lands to get abortions past 20 weeks.

Rich women support these laws because it makes them feel good but also knowing they can afford a plane ticket to Canada or Europe to get an abortion if they need it. Take that comfort away from them. Let them know that if they take away your rights then you're going to make sure they get convicted of murder if they themselves flee to Europe for an abortion. The day rich women lose that comfort they might just rethink their stance on voting republican.

Tit for tat. You screw us. We screw you. We rise or fall together.

You know, except for the people that might need an abortion for whatever reason decided between them, and their doctor.

This is why thinking purely in terms of politics is so off-putting to me. "You could gain X% of people and then you win!!!!!" Win what? I certainly don't 'win' the battle of that particular argument. There was a point in time where people could "win" by deciding our black citizens shouldn't have rights. Would that win be worth the trade? Why is this one?

Win control of the government instead of this shit show currently going on. I don't see your point about trading anything. Abortion is currently legal. All I said was tone down the rhetoric.

Who else should Democrats abandon based on your feels about chasing a white whale?

I think this dialogue has run its course.

Audioboxer

For neutral reference, a 'viable', deliverable fetus these days is 24 weeks.

24 weeks is the soft limit in the UK.

There's no need for people to be instantly hostile talking about best scientific estimates on best abortion practice.

Most abortions in England, Wales and Scotland are carried out before 24 weeks of pregnancy.

They can be carried out after 24 weeks in certain circumstances – for example, if the mother's life is at risk or the child would be born with a severe disability.

The length of your pregnancy is calculated from the first day of your last period. If you're not sure how long you've been pregnant, you may need an ultrasound scan to check.

Abortions are simpler and safer the earlier they're carried out. Getting advice early on will give you more time to make a decision if you're unsure.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Abortion/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If your argument is simply you want the ability to abort at any length of weeks, then you do have to accept most places around the world that Americans say have better Governments than them, have limits like we do in the UK, with the caveat above.

I think the argument here is 20 weeks should be at 24 weeks, and the mention of severe disability. Unfortunately, the Republicans will probably be hostile to that.

Chococat

I'm kinda fine with it?
Rape, incest, mother life are covered, and 20 weeks give decent time for decision?

Your kinda fine with spouting off an uneducated opinion?

Hey ladies- you have to keep your nonviable fetus and risk death yourself!

You're part of the problem.

TBiddy

Your kinda fine with spouting off an uneducated opinion?

Hey ladies- you have to keep your nonviable fetus and risk death yourself!

You're part of the problem.

What is up with the ridiculous hyperbole and hostility in this thread?

Top Bottom