• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump blames Constitution for chaos of his first 100 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

geomon

giphy.gif

Just imagine that's the Constitution he's ripping up.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I would bet my vote in the next presidential election that he hasn't read the Constitution of the United States.

Josh7289

The Electoral College system established in the Constitution is literally the only reason he won the election.

For what it's worth I think the power of the executive branch needs to be severely curtailed. The scope of the president's power has increased far beyond what I would consider a safe level that's properly balanced with the other branches of government.

LakeEarth

If Obama said half of the things he's said in his first 100 days, republicans would be calling for impeachment.

One. If Obama had said or done just one of the thing's Trump has said, Republicans would be calling for impeachment. And this includes the Diet Coke button.

Socivol

It's not nearly that simple. He talked a very big, simple talk that appealed to working class Americans and really rallied behind the banner of tax breaks and a strong economy under someone who was a very successful businessman. Lots of big promises that always painted an America first. There were plenty of people driven away by Hillary, especially Burniebusters and (at least in my area) voters who went third party or didn't vote because they didn't want either side. His media presence was unbeatable.

Yes, he also pushed all the correct buttons for the more disgusting side of America, but that wasn't what won him the election.

What are you talking about? He got elected into office, he's there to stay short of voluntarily leaving (ha!) or official proceedings (ha!), and his approval rating has been dropping steadily.

To vote for Trump you either had to be racist or stupid. The whole working class nonsense I don't buy unless you were racist or a complete idiot. To think that someone that owns business and outsources everything and gets visas for immigrants to work low wage jobs has your best interest at heart you're an idiot. To overlook all of the horrible things he said, you have to be a racist or okay with supporting a racist. Thus why I am not surprised he could be elected. Americans are uneducated and racist as hell. When you combine those two things it's not at all surprising that he won.
They played themselves and I'll have no sympathy when he screws them over.

Go ahead, Trump. Continue to talk about how you want to get rid of the constitution. How about a brand new one? Keep the amendment on guns, get rid of free speech and just straight up make minorities subservient. People who didn't vote or voted for this guy can get fucked.

One. If Obama had said or done just one of the thing's Trump has said, Republicans would be calling for impeachment. And this includes the Diet Coke button.

Right? Hell he didn't even need to do or say things. Things were fucking made up about him that people claimed were worthy of impeachment, including the idea that he was a tyrant who wanted to get rid of the constitution.

necrosis

Imagine if Obama had said this! Holy shit!

yeah this is what gets me

elements of the constitution are undeniably archaic (not checks and balances or the idea of multiple government branches, of course), but if obama had said something along these lines, conservatives would have been pushing for his execution (more than were already doing so, anyways)

Korigama

He blamed the constitutional checks and balances built in to US governance. “It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.”
That would be the Electoral College that let you win even when you lost, not the Constitution. You demented apricot.

Amalthea

Banned
Luckily the biggest check and balance that will prevent him from rewriting the constitution is having to actually work, even if he'd just read what somebody else wrote for him.

That would be the Electoral College that let you win even when you lost, not the Constitution. You demented apricot.
That's a good one.

Saying the constitution is bad for the country would be enough to sink any politician. I hope this at least results in some sort of negative reaction among republicans.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Those would be the checks and balances the GOP abused to prevent President Obama from doing anything. You know, what you ran your campaign on.

welcome to centralist trumpland. i truly believe he will force a constitutional change through a coup detat
Saying the constitution is bad for the country would be enough to sink any politician. I hope this at least results in some sort of negative reaction among republicans.

this will lead to peeople saying the US constitution is bad cuz trump said so.

How do people defend this man??? He's the very definition of a wannabe tyrant! Only reason he hasn't gone full tyrant is because of checks and balances and the work of the good people out there.

Constitution is archaic??? Screw you.

How do people defend this man??? He's the very definition of a wannabe tyrant! Only reason he hasn't gone full tyrant is because of checks and balances and the work of the good people out there.

Constitution is archaic??? Screw you.
His supporters live in alternate reality. A world of alternative facts. There's nothing Trump can or say do will have them change their mind.

He can qq more but many parts of the constitution absolutely are archaic.

The Senate is a horrendously undemocratic institution and arguably a violation of the 14th amendment to boot.

His supporters live in alternate reality. A world of alternative facts. There's nothing Trump can or say do will have them change their mind.

If he attacks the Bible or is somehow linked to ISIS they will. He will still get Neo-Nazi votes but they are just a vocal minority compared to the bible belt supporters.

How are members of senate chosen? By election or by appointment like the house of lords?

By election, but the big problem is that each state has the same amount of senators regardless of population.

So each Senator in Wyoming represents 293,000 people, while each Senator in California represents 19,500,000 people.

The 14th amendment guarantees equal protection and rights under the law, and the US Senate clearly and deeply violates the one-person-one-vote principle, but the ”Entrenchment Clause" of Article V of the constitution also states that no amendment or law may alter 2-Sentator-per-state system, without the consent of each state (and the small ones would never approve it obviously as they would see their political influence dramatically cut).

So we're left with a comical situation where states cannot institute a system like US Senate for their own local governments because it violates the 14th amendment, but the federal one is untouchable.

Also the whole point behind the Senate was to protect Slavery, as the agrarian southern slave states had much smaller populations than the industrial North states. So the history of the institution is rather sordid as well.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
By election, but the big problem is that each state has the same amount of senators regardless of population.

So each Senator in Wyoming represents 293,000 people, while each Senator in California represents 19,500,000 people.
I would argue each senator represents the whole state's population and not half of it each.

Honestly I almost want to believe in a Hell so I can feel like some justice was actually accomplished with Republicans just burning in it

SURGEdude

It's still hard to fathom that this country elected a man without a basic understanding of how the government works as president.

No it's not. We've done it before.

The difference is in the personality. Reagan and Bush were useful idiots who wanted to succeed.

This guy is a global threat and he's so stupid he brags about it.

Future

The same archaic system that allowed you to appoint that Supreme Court Justice you prick. An archaic system your pansy ass prompted your party to use when you asked congress to delay obamas appointment you lying sack of shit stained orange peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom