• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Campaign Under Investigation for Potential Guidance of Russia Digital Operation

Ac30

Mmm, seems rather plausible that Trump's turnaround victories in battleground states were pinpoint hacked by the Russians.

Multiple agencies confirmed they didn't change the votes. It was purely a disinformation campaign, though they did get into the voter rolls in at least one state (which is terrifying, but was caught and corrected)

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this branched out into the GOP in general based off all of their propaganda spew thats been going on for the past year. I know its been going on longer but at this point its like National Enquiry level.

pirata

It makes sense that SOMEONE in the US was helping out. I mean, how many people in Russia have a strong grasp on the political leanings and social circumstances of specific areas of the US, the third-most populous country with a complicated political system that's also extremely diverse? I mean, the language barrier would even make research difficult. It's like asking us to come up with a strategy to target specific parts of India to influence their election. Where would you even begin? At least there's a lot of stuff about politics in India written in English.

It makes sense that SOMEONE in the US was helping out. I mean, how many people in Russia have a strong grasp on the political leanings and social circumstances of specific areas of the US, the third-most populous country with a complicated political system that's also extremely diverse? I mean, the language barrier would even make research difficult. It's like asking us to come up with a strategy to target specific parts of India to influence their election. Where would you even begin? At least there's a lot of stuff about politics in India written in English.

I would start with cricket.

Tuber

Multiple agencies confirmed they didn't change the votes. It was purely a disinformation campaign, though they did get into the voter rolls in at least one state (which is terrifying, but was caught and corrected)

Not to be pedantic, but didn't they get into voter records in dozens of states? I thought the issue that was "caught and corrected" was in at least one instance where they actually changed information in the registry.

This quote in particular has stuck with me because I've always thought the Russian's cyber- ops couldn't just be genius tech wizards on their part:

Russia’s operation used computer commands knowns as “bots” to collect and dramatically heighten the reach of negative or fabricated news about Clinton, including a story in the final days of the campaign accusing her of running a pedophile ring at a Washington pizzeria.

One source familiar with Justice's criminal probe said investigators doubt Russian operatives controlling the so-called robotic cyber commands that fetched and distributed fake news stories could have independently "known where to specifically target … to which high-impact states and districts in those states."

All of the sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation, led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, is confidential

Ac30

Not to be pedantic, but didn't they get into voter records in dozens of states? I thought the issue that was "caught and corrected" was in at least one instance where they actually changed information in the registry.

By rolls I meant change the registration info, but they did indeed gain access to the records in multiple states if I remember right. Either way it's shocking that they managed to change the rolls and absolutely nothing is being done, I'm honestly very, very worried for your elections in the future.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
.. Yes, but disinformation could have swung those votes.

Correct but it's important to distinguish between a propaganda effort and a literal hack of our voting systems. Also, everyone wondering if this "is it," this is just the tip of the iceberg. The curtain is being pulled back bit by bit to continually have the administration in paralysis by being in damage control mode. This is a centipede whose final shoe won't drop until it's an open and shut case, and until then we're going to just see pieces of the puzzle come into place.

Ac30

Correct but it's important to distinguish between a propaganda effort and a literal hack of our voting systems. Also, everyone wondering if this "is it," this is just the tip of the iceberg. The curtain is being pulled back bit by bit to continually have the administration in paralysis by being in damage control mode. This is a centipede whose final shoe won't drop until it's an open and shut case, and until then we're going to just see pieces of the puzzle come into place.

This is frankly the better approach anyways because paralysing Washington is probably the best the US can hope for right now.

OléGunner;243241296 said:
This quote in particular has stuck with me because I've always thought the Russian's cyber- ops couldn't just be genius tech wizards on their part:
It wouldn't be too surprising if firms like Cambridge Analytica or Palantir helped somehow with the targeting, even unknowingly.
( I kind of dismissed this Guardian article as tinfoil bullshit at the time, but there's a truth to the efficiency of big data)

Zolo

See, he's creating jobs!

2016-08-02-782scandal.png

I am sure some people did help but during the cold war Soviet could be incredibly scary competent at stuff like information gathering. They made maps of my country that were better then our own. Had incredibly detailed info on how much the water in ditches rose at different parts of the year and so on.

That's right the podesta emails didn't get traction until someone started curating them for selective release instead of dumping them all. Wikileaks does the same thing, it doesn't just pass on things it tries to weaponise the info by highlighting stuff that makes a splash.

Anythijg Russia was involved in other than paying people like Flynn, hacking raw data, etc needed a Roget Stone kind of a guy to weaponise it.

cameron

Also under scrutiny is the question of whether Trump associates or campaign aides had any role in assisting the Russians in publicly releasing thousands of emails, hacked from the accounts of top Democrats, at turning points in the presidential race, mainly through the London-based transparency web site WikiLeaks, .
Thanks, Junior.
Trump son-in-law Kushner, now a senior adviser to the president and the only current White House aide known to be deemed a “person of interest” in the Justice Department investigation, appears to be under the microscope in several respects. His real estate finances and December meetings with Russia’s ambassador and the head of a sanctioned, state-controlled bank are also being examined.
Jared has more than $1 billion in debt, a good chunk he's personally responsible for, and has imposed himself in everything. He's not in a good position and will do whatever he can to save himself. Repeating a bit from yesterday's NYT: Rancor at White House as Russia Story Refuses to Let the Page Turn
The strain, though, exists on both sides. Mr. Kasowitz and his colleagues have been deeply frustrated by the president. And they have complained that Mr. Kushner has been whispering in the president’s ear about the Russia investigations and stories while keeping the lawyers out of the loop, according to another person familiar with the legal team. But one person familiar with Mr. Kasowitz’s thinking said his concerns did not relate to Mr. Kushner.

The president’s lawyers view Mr. Kushner as an obstacle and a freelancer more concerned about protecting himself than his father-in-law, the person said. While no ultimatum has been delivered, the lawyers have told colleagues that they cannot keep operating that way, raising the prospect that Mr. Kasowitz may resign.

UberTag

Hey remember that GOP consulting group that got raided?

This won't end w the Trump campaign.
Nor should it.

Your political system has been infected with cancer.
You can't just excise part of it and expect it to go into full remission.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Top Bottom