• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump can now loot millions of dollars from the Secret Service with no disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/16/13641538/trump-plane-secret-service

When he’s president, Donald Trump will fly on Air Force One. Which means the Boeing 757 that Trump owns through a holding company will be free for use by Ivanka, Melania, Eric, Donald Jr., or whomever else. And if Trump requests Secret Service protection for those people, he will probably get it. And when Secret Service agents fly alongside a protectee, they use their budget to pay airfare. Which in the case of a flight on the Trump jet would mean paying Trump for the seats on his plane.

In other words, by asking for Secret Service protection for family members who fly on his plane, Donald Trump can directly funnel taxpayer money into his own pocket

For any of the Trump or Pence clans assigned a protective detail due to safety risks— and the rancor of the 2016 vote could well produce many — Secret Service travel on a Trump-owned plane means the agency would need to reimburse the aircraft’s owner. In this case, the president.

“So then you have government money going into the pockets of the president and his children,” said Brett Kappel, a lawyer who specializes in political finance and ethics at Akerman LLP. The Trump transition team did not respond to email requests seeking comment. The Trump family has also hired private security guards, although it is unclear how Trump’s election will affect the extent of private security used. The Secret Service has assumed full authority for protecting the president-elect and vice-president elect, including a new no-fly zone the Federal Aviation Administration has established until Jan. 21 over Trump’s Manhattan residence.

But this is exactly what Trump did during the campaign, billing the federal government $1.6 million for granting Secret Service agents the right to fly on his plane.* The reason we know that is because it was a political campaign, so all the financial details were filed with the Federal Election Commission. With the campaign over, however, the plane just becomes part of Trump’s opaque web of privately held companies, so the amount of money he is funneling from the federal government into his pocket won’t be disclosed on that end.

SpaceWolf

Banned
FrodosufferingcompositeSFC.jpg

RPGCrazied

Only reason he ran to be honest. To enrich his bushiness's. Ivanka already started trying to do this by advertising her bracelet on 60 minutes. lol

I know the sentiment here is that Trump is the worst thing ever and will make nothing but bad decisions, and I definitely lean more toward that perception than of anything neutral or positive, but it has to be remembered with situations like this just how much Trump cares about his image as one of the "super rich". He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

I'm not saying the dudes not an absolute nightmare to have in office, but saying shit like "he's going to funnel funds into his own account!" makes you sound just as insane as the "Obummer's comin' fer yer gunz!" crowd.

Maximus.

But but but he will get more money into the pockets of those who need it.

Not surprised he will take full advantage of all perks that come with the job.

Geist-

He's setting himself up to be the most shamelessly corrupt politician in US history and his supporters will still defend him because he spent the last year telling people everyone else is corrupt and out to get them.

I know the sentiment here is that Trump is the worst thing ever and will make nothing but bad decisions, and I definitely lean more toward that perception than of anything neutral or positive, but it has to be remembered with situations like this just how much Trump cares about his image as one of the "super rich". He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

I'm not saying the dudes not an absolute nightmare to have in office, but saying shit like "he's going to funnel funds into his own account!" makes you sound just as insane as the "Obummer's comin' fer yer gunz!" crowd.

It's getting a little ridiculous around here lately.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

No it doesn't. Trump has shown again and again that he has no scruples with earning money in shady if not downright illegal ways.

I really do think Trump is going to be a one term President. I hope he gets fucking blown out.

I think that was the plan all along. Trump never expected to be President or even the Republican nominee. He saw an opportunity to extend his brand and he took it. And now he's got the most visibility of any person on the planet. His every word is now heard by billions of people.

So he'll bow out in 2020 saying he righted the ship and that Pence or Steve Bannon can take it from here while he goes and capitalizes on his new growth.

Are people going to at least wait until he actually does this or keep coming up with stories? Why would the secret service ferry around the First Family in a plane that has their name in giant letters printed on the side.

It wasn't quoted by the OP, but the linked article literally says Trump has already pulled down 1.6M granting the Secret Service the right to fly on his plane during the campaign. If he did it while there was transparency, why wouldn't he when there's not?

Couleurs

He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

Yeah just like how he wouldn't funnel campaign funds into his family's businesses

But but but he will get more money into the pockets of those who need it.

You'd think his status as a born billionaire, TV star and man who's avoided taxes and run a bs charity would have wiped that notion from people's minds but it's become clear how easily swayed people can be into throwing their lot in with monsters.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

If you read he story linked, he already started doing this urging the campaign:

Now, you might be saying to yourself that this is ridiculous and no public official would be so reckless with his political standing as to loot the Treasury in this manner.

But this is exactly what Trump did during the campaign, billing the federal government $1.6 million for granting Secret Service agents the right to fly on his plane.* The reason we know that is because it was a political campaign, so all the financial details were filed with the Federal Election Commission. With the campaign over, however, the plane just becomes part of Trump’s opaque web of privately held companies, so the amount of money he is funneling from the federal government into his pocket won’t be disclosed on that end.

Syncytia

What's interesting is that one of those things is actually true. So it doesn't sound insane to say he might funnel funds into his businesses when he already did it during the campaign.

8 years later and everyone still has their guns. Like, there was never even talk of taking guns away. It was never a real thing.

MrNelson

Banned
I really do think Trump is going to be a one term President. I hope he gets fucking blown out.

I get the feeling he would elect to not run again so he doesn't have to worry about getting clowned when he has to answer for the shit he does/doesn't do. He'll do whatever it takes to avoid holding the "yugest" L.

SeanTSC

People say "nah, he wouldn't actually do this" then he goes and does it.

Like, come on. And he already fucking did it, right in the article. Geez.

Are people going to at least wait until he actually does this or keep coming up with stories? Why would the secret service ferry around the First Family in a plane that has their name in giant letters printed on the side.
The fact that such a conflict can arise because the president is also the head of a business empire is the issue, not merely that he has or hasn't done something

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You really think he is going to get 2 terms? He is going to fail so miserably. Don't give him that much credit.

Stop calling the god damn future so prematurely. Given what happened this election it wouldn't even be wise to foretell shit a day in advance.

RPGCrazied

I hope he doesn't even a last a term.

Yeah. Then we would get Pence, I know he hates gay people, but Trump is that erratic. You just don't know what he would do in a crisis. His mind changes every other minute, or whatever suits him at the time.

Now we know why

He does own those planes and all those businesses so a lot of this is new territory for a President. This is just one tiny example of how his position is going to benefit Trump, that I'll take $1 salary is just good PR for stupid people.

The thing is everyone around this man will make a killing in Businesses in the next few years from his position conflict of interest is unavoidable he could triple his Brand all over the world trading favors alone.

Mark L

He can do stuff way, way worse than this. But listen: it hasn't happened yet. We can't keep doing this- talking about stuff that hasn't happened as if it is evidence of total corruption. If we do, then when actual shit happens- which surely will not be long in coming- then no one will listen.

People say "nah, he wouldn't actually do this" then he goes and does it.

Like, come on. And he already fucking did it, right in the article. Geez.

People keep trying to normalize this man for reasons that really escape me. He's not smart, he's not honest, and he is actually corrupt. Guys need to stop giving him the benefit of the freaking doubt and pay attention to who we have as president.

He can do stuff way, way worse than this. But listen: it hasn't happened yet. We can't keep doing this- talking about stuff that hasn't happened as if it is evidence of total corruption. If we do, then when actual shit happens- which surely will not be long in coming- then no one will listen.

Vox said:

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

While I'd also like not to fall into the hyperbole that has dominated the past eight years, we are talking about the guy who uses his namesake foundation to buy $20,000 portraits of himself. Among other things.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news...ald-trump-bought-with-20000-from-his-charity/

In recent weeks, The Washington Post has reported other instances in which Trump may have violated those rules. He used $258,000 from the foundation to pay off legal settlements that involved his for-profit businesses. He spent $12,000 from the charity's coffers to buy a football helmet signed by then-Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

And he spent $10,000 to buy another portrait of himself in 2014. In that case, Trump paid $10,000 for the portrait. It was later found hanging on the wall of a sports bar at Trump's Doral golf resort. A spokesman for Trump, Boris Epshteyn, said later that Trump's business was actually just "storing" the portrait, on the charity's behalf. Tax experts said that does not cut it.
He has an actual history of doing precisely stuff like this.

Trump did this frequently on the campaign as the article notes. "It hasn't happened yet!" is completely inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom