• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump can now loot millions of dollars from the Secret Service with no disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can do stuff way, way worse than this. But listen: it hasn't happened yet. We can't keep doing this- talking about stuff that hasn't happened as if it is evidence of total corruption. If we do, then when actual shit happens- which surely will not be long in coming- then no one will listen.

It literally says he *can* do this in the title, not that he did it.

...but he already did it.

Lothars

He can do stuff way, way worse than this. But listen: it hasn't happened yet. We can't keep doing this- talking about stuff that hasn't happened as if it is evidence of total corruption. If we do, then when actual shit happens- which surely will not be long in coming- then no one will listen.
He has already done this. There's no reason to believe he will not keep doing this. smh at posts like this.

People keep trying to normalize this man for reasons that really escape me. He's not smart, he's not honest, and he is actually corrupt. Guys need to stop giving him the benefit of the freaking doubt and pay attention to who we have as president.
I wonder how much of the normalization is the product of the "But it's the President. The President, the leader of the free world, just can't do that" rationale. It's the same rationale that caused some to dismiss his words while campaigning as just talk because he can't act like that as President

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You really think he is going to get 2 terms? He is going to fail so miserably. Don't give him that much credit.
Just saying, we didn't give thought he'd win the election, and yet here we are.

The OP story is unavoidable unless Trump tells the American people he will donate any money he gets from this to a charity. Ivanka is not going to just start flying Spirit Airlines.

HvySky

This is beyond fucked, and the sad part is that I'd be genuinely surprised if Trump didn't take advantage of this loophole. Oh, wait, he already is? Fucking great.

You really think he is going to get 2 terms? He is going to fail so miserably. Don't give him that much credit.

You really think he'll be elected Preside-

Oh.

I wonder how much of the normalization is the product of the "But it's the President. The President, the leader of the free world, just can't do that" rationale. It's the same rationale that caused some to dismiss his words while campaigning as just talk because he can't act like that as President

I can't help but believe that that kind of denial made some people stay home instead of vote when this was going on, believing a president like him could never exist & will make people similarly say or do nothing in response to his insanity now that he is president. It's a kind of dangerous amount of denial. People really need to be on edge and watch every thing this guy does. Instead of assuming the things out of his mouth are too insane, think about who he is and consider it again.

Some people have a very strong need to feel that the world they live in is orderly and just, and will distance themselves from unpleasant realities.

Mortemis

Banned

Nah, I think you're giving America too much credit. He'll probably get a second term. I have that much faith in voters and the democratic party.

Kyzer

Banned
The problem with Trump is that he owns a shit ton of assets and businesses that he can dump money into using the government. Other presidents did not have these assets.

So no other president has ever had businesses and assets that could have possibly been a conflict of interest? ...

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I know the sentiment here is that Trump is the worst thing ever and will make nothing but bad decisions, and I definitely lean more toward that perception than of anything neutral or positive, but it has to be remembered with situations like this just how much Trump cares about his image as one of the "super rich". He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

I'm not saying the dudes not an absolute nightmare to have in office, but saying shit like "he's going to funnel funds into his own account!" makes you sound just as insane as the "Obummer's comin' fer yer gunz!" crowd.

Did you read the article??

He already started doing this.

As long as he doesn't get near the nuclear code and Putin, I am fine with him steal merely "millions" from the American people.

Mark L

It figuratively says he *can* do this in the title, not that he did it.

...but he already did it.

Now I see that he already did it. My mistake. I assumed from the article summary that this was all theoretical, but people were talking about it as if he had already done it. I should have read the article.

El-Suave

Of course he can request secret service protection for his family. Any president could and they'd do so rightfully, too. Every president leaves the White House as a made man if he wasn't before and his family benefits hugely as well. There are far more sinister ways he and his businesses can profit from his term as president.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Who's to say he'll actually do this? Seems like this is merely a theoretical possibility, only framed this way to get a dumb headline out the door.

Who's to say he'll actually do this? Seems like this is merely a theoretical possibility, only framed this way to get a dumb headline out the door.

From the article:
Vox said:
But this is exactly what Trump did during the campaign, billing the federal government $1.6 million for granting Secret Service agents the right to fly on his plane.* The reason we know that is because it was a political campaign, so all the financial details were filed with the Federal Election Commission. With the campaign over, however, the plane just becomes part of Trump’s opaque web of privately held companies, so the amount of money he is funneling from the federal government into his pocket won’t be disclosed on that end.

And from another article (Thanks to More_Badass):
Politico said:
It’s standard practice for the agency — which is tasked with protecting presidential candidates as well as presidents and other federal officials — to reimburse presidential campaigns for the cost of traveling with the candidates.

In fact, the Secret Service has reimbursed the Clinton campaign, too: $2.6 million so far this cycle.

The difference with Trump is that one of his companies, TAG Air, Inc., owns the plane, so the government is effectively paying him.

The Clinton campaign, by contrast, mostly has been chartering planes from a private company called Executive Fliteways in which the Clintons do not have any ownership interest.

“The taxpayers are actually reimbursing Trump for the travel of the Secret Service agents," said Brett Kappel, a campaign finance lawyer at the law firm Akerman LLP. "It's just another example of how the Trump campaign has taken an unprecedentedly large amount of its money and spent it at Trump-owned facilities."

Hoo-doo

Banned
I stand corrected. Still, I doubt this will be a big deal.

I'm cackling at the number of people who complain about horrible headliens, while clearly only reading the headline and not the content within.

HOLLERING!

I sincerely doubt you are cackling about any of this. No-one is that weird.

I'm cackling at the number of people who complain about horrible headliens, while clearly only reading the headline and not the content within.

HOLLERING!

I stand corrected. Still, I doubt this will be a big deal.

Won't be a big deal for who? This is a President siphoning taxpayer money that he doesn't fucking need. After the Trump Foundation, not paying workers and bragging about avoiding taxes, on top of this, this isn't the time to give our president a pass because "it's not a big deal". If you don't hold his feet to the fire now, then you'll be looking at the "big deal" news later.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Like what the fuck does he have to do to make him qualify to be impeached or rejected from presidency? What?

Kozak

Banned
He's a businessman.

His supporters will see this as Trump sticking it to the establishment rather than taking their tax dollars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom