• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump can now loot millions of dollars from the Secret Service with no disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Won't be a big deal for who? This is a President siphoning taxpayer money that he doesn't fucking need. After the Trump Foundation, not paying workers and bragging about avoiding taxes, on top of this, this isn't the time to give our president a pass because "it's not a big deal". If you don't hold his feet to the fire now, then you'll be looking at the "big deal" news later.

It will be a big deal if he'll actually be siphoning millions into his bank account like this during his presidency. That he did it during his campaign, that just makes him smart in his eyes.

Hell, I just don't think he's that tone-deaf to keep this racket going when he's leader of the free world. Call me optimistic. The potential for political fallout is likely too large a risk.

Is there data available to see what past presidents have spent on similar SS security, or did they not disclose it, like the hook in this story? I realize the big distinction here is that he owns the other plane, and has a larger-than-usual first family that travel often professionally. But, outside of pre-accusing him of ramping up on SS agents without good reason simply to help pay for his jet costs, not sure what the big story is.

Hell, I just don't think he's that tone-deaf to keep this racket going when he's leader of the free world. Call me optimistic. The potential for political fallout is likely too large a risk.
Ahahahahahahahahahaha

The only leader on the planet who denies global warming and appoints key figures that believe gay people should be in jail or electrocuted isn't *that* tone deaf??

Aahahahahahahahahhaahahhahaah

His entire presidency is gonna be funneling money into his coffers.

It's infuriating how many people thought he'd be a legitimate president. He's been a shade away from being a full-on con artist his entire life, what the fuck is wrong with people??

Boss Mog

This is chump change compared to the billions that Bush and Cheney siphoned via Halliburton during the Iraq war, not to mention the priceless lives they sacrificed in the process. I'm sure Trump will find much more lucrative ways to siphon government money into his pockets once he's in office.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's a big place. Who within the Federal Government? From my quick wikipedia research, the Secret Service is part of the executive branch (under the DHS). So...Obama paid Trump?

Are you trying to make a point?

Boss★Moogle;224841270 said:
This is chump change compared to the billions that Bush and Cheney siphoned via Halliburton during the Iraq war, not to mention the priceless lives they sacrificed in the process. I'm sure Trump will find much more lucrative ways to siphon government money into his pockets once he's in office.

Yeah I don't think it was okay back then and it still isn't now.

But I find it funny that people are making such a big deal out of Trump's $1 pledge.

He's already gained so much by being elected President.

I know the sentiment here is that Trump is the worst thing ever and will make nothing but bad decisions, and I definitely lean more toward that perception than of anything neutral or positive, but it has to be remembered with situations like this just how much Trump cares about his image as one of the "super rich". He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

I'm not saying the dudes not an absolute nightmare to have in office, but saying shit like "he's going to funnel funds into his own account!" makes you sound just as insane as the "Obummer's comin' fer yer gunz!" crowd.

The man has literally come under fire for shady practices wrt earning money, even specifically with his campaign/election.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. It's being framed here like he stole money from the government and would continue to do so. But the current government okayed it and paid it. They were free to say no.

So you are either completely missing the point or are trying to sidestep the point.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are people going to at least wait until he actually does this or keep coming up with stories? Why would the secret service ferry around the First Family in a plane that has their name in giant letters printed on the side.

Well, it would have been nice had Trump waited until inauguration to reveal what a vile piece of shit he's going to be in office. But I guess he figured if the vile shit he did before the election still got really stupid people to vote for him, he can do whatever he wants and his disciples will still line up to suck his dick.

Ultimately this is small change compared to the more important shit he's done. He's been ripping off taxpayers for 20 years already at least, so this is really just Trump being Trump.

i imagined that using his position he was gonna make some money out of it, with this hotels and shit he was gonna make them all have meetings there

i didnt know it was possible with this private plane as well, i didnt know it worked like that

Varna

Um... can someone explain to me why this guy needs to make more money? Doesn't he already have everything he could possibly want? Same for this family.

For that matter why isn't he being forced to put his estate in blind trust? Isn't there something set in place so he can't take office until he does it?

I wonder how much of the normalization is the product of the "But it's the President. The President, the leader of the free world, just can't do that" rationale. It's the same rationale that caused some to dismiss his words while campaigning as just talk because he can't act like that as President

Scary, and dangerous thinking to be sure. Everyone is not a demagogic oligarch until, suddenly, one day they are.

Not saying that at all. Just find it funny that the justification for him possibly doing it after being president is that he did it before, but that him doing it was condoned by this president.

Not condoned, allowed. There are rules in place that have not been exploited to date because the people to which they applied were not able to exploit them, but this guy can. It might be allowed, but it's still sleazy and unethical.

Resseh

You really think he is going to get the republican nomination? He is going to fail so miserably. Don't give him that much credit.
This thread is so depressing in how some people still haven't learnt to take trump as a threat seriously. He had no chance of winning the Repub nom, then there was no chance he would be president and now the same people are saying he won't make a second term. Jebus.

Won't be a big deal for who? This is a President siphoning taxpayer money that he doesn't fucking need. After the Trump Foundation, not paying workers and bragging about avoiding taxes, on top of this, this isn't the time to give our president a pass because "it's not a big deal". If you don't hold his feet to the fire now, then you'll be looking at the "big deal" news later.

How do you know he doesn't need it? Have you seen his tax returns?

trollface.jpg

Shady but legal shit indeed.

This thread is so depressing in how some people still haven't learnt to take trump as a threat seriously. He had no chance of winning the Repub nom, then there was no chance he would be president and now the same people are saying he won't make a second term. Jebus.

I want to print and frame this post as a reminder of how badly I fucked up by not taking his chances seriously.

Fail your obedience tests comrades, don't let this become the new normal.

numble

Yes. It's being framed here like he stole money from the government and would continue to do so. But the current government okayed it and paid it. They were free to say no.

How are they free to say no? They cannot say no to providing Secret Service detail to the candidates, they cannot say no to paying for accommodations for said Secret Service. If Hillary stays at a Marriott, they cannot force the Marriott to give them free accommodations or not pay charges that Marriott charges them for other fees. If Trump stays at a Trump hotel, the same rules apply, just that the money gets paid to a subsidiary of the Trump Organization.

But he's refusing his salary.

You know that's B.S. I believe there is actually an article in the Constitution that says he has to be paid a salary.

We'll see if he donates it to charity. Based on his previous history with donating to charities, he probably won't.

Shadybiz

You know that's B.S. I believe there is actually an article in the Constitution that says he has to be paid a salary.

We'll see if he donates it to charity. Based on his previous history with donating to charities, he probably won't.

Yeah I was reading about this; I think this article sums up why he needs to take a salary. It would be nice to see him give it to charity, but...yeah we'll see.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/donald-trump-salary-george-washington-214458

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I know the sentiment here is that Trump is the worst thing ever and will make nothing but bad decisions, and I definitely lean more toward that perception than of anything neutral or positive, but it has to be remembered with situations like this just how much Trump cares about his image as one of the "super rich". He won't funnel funds into his own plane. He would sooner just tell them to use a different flight service for situations that require Secret Service use. Or at the absolute worst, he would only let them reimburse the necessities like cost of fuel and pilot salary.

I'm not saying the dudes not an absolute nightmare to have in office, but saying shit like "he's going to funnel funds into his own account!" makes you sound just as insane as the "Obummer's comin' fer yer gunz!" crowd.
See I too was reading the article thinking that there's no god damn way he's going to try this. That is until I got to this part:

But this is exactly what Trump did during the campaign, billing the federal government $1.6 million for granting Secret Service agents the right to fly on his plane.* The reason we know that is because it was a political campaign, so all the financial details were filed with the Federal Election Commission.

He's already fucking done it haha.

lol he didn't even become president yet. Come on, at this point this is just speculation for the sake of complaining about him. You don't need this, there are plenty reasons to do that already.

d00d3n

It is time to inventory the toilet paper in the white house to make sure that Trump doesn't steal any for his penthouse.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Not saying that at all. Just find it funny that the justification for him possibly doing it after being president is that he did it before, but that him doing it was condoned by this president.

So you are missing the point entirely then.

Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom