• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump condemns anti-semitism, praises African American museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Pretty damn obvious this is damage control after that press conference.

For sure.

I think Trump actually does worry about being "seen as a racist," which is why he always insists that he's not a bigot. In his worldview, perpetuating white supremacy is fine if you explain that it's not about race.

He said nothing, he's attacked, he said something, it's "empty words"

Because neither involves any action or outright contradicts behavior and actions before and since. He's not the victim here. You don't hire Jeff Sessions if you truly believe in the efforts of civil rights heroes. You don't follow, retweet or support white supremacists if you actually think antisemitism is fundamentally wrong.

Of course this poster comes to Trump's defense. There is a reason why people do not trust Trump's bullshit. This is not empty blind hatred.

I'm not coming to his defense, I'm just pointing out how it's a lose-lose for him regarding those who already hate his guts

not going to defend Trump on this matter

He still employs a couple of racist fuckwits like Bannon and Miller. Words are meaningless without the appropriate actions behind them.

I'm not coming to his defense, I'm just pointing out how it's a lose-lose for him regarding those who already hate his guts

"I'm just pointing out"

Sure jan. Cry me a fucking river about how its a lose-lose for this fascist orange fuckface some more.

besada

Banned
It's better than saying "Hey, anti-semitism is great!" of course, but I'd rather he do something than say something, particularly after how long it took him to comment and how often he's brushed off direct questions on the subject. Like direct the DoJ and FBI to focus on anti-semitic groups and other white supremacist groups.

Talk is cheap, especially reluctant, long overdue talk.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My hope is that Trump gets so concerned over being seen as a racist that he actively fights against such things, up to and including firing Bannon.

Image is everything to this man. I don't think he himself was ever a genuine racist (maybe ignorant and elitist, but not malevolently racist) but his shock value campaign attracted and gave some more power to actual racists. Now he's worried about that because it reflects badly on him, it's no longer good for him. I think this is a good thing.

A narcissist can be swayed as long as it benefits them. The caveat is that I hope it truly remains beneficial for him to be anti-racist. This means that complaints against Trump giving a voice to the alt-right need to remain loud and persistent.

I don't think he's going to do a massive heel-turn overnight or ever, but there are ways to lessen the impact of his bad decisions.

I'm always trying to be optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this idea is scoffed at - I won't hold it against anyone if it is.

Slayven

My hope is that Trump gets so concerned over being seen as a racist that he actively fights against such things, up to and including firing Bannon.

Image is everything to this man. I don't think he himself was ever a genuine racist (maybe ignorant and elitist, but not malevolently racist) but his shock value campaign attracted and gave some more power to actual racists. Now he's worried about that because it reflects badly on him, it's no longer good for him. I think this is a good thing.

A narcissist can be swayed as long as it benefits them. The caveat is that I hope it truly remains beneficial for him to be anti-racist. This means that complaints against Trump giving a voice to the alt-right need to remain loud and persistent.

I don't think he's going to do a massive heel-turn overnight or ever, but there are ways to lessen the impact of his bad decisions.

I'm always trying to be optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this idea is scoffed at - I won't hold it against anyone if it is.

Being racist has never not been popular among a large portion of the country. He doesn't care. He see a few minorities come to trump tower and kiss the ring and think they all love him

It's better than saying "Hey, anti-semitism is great!" of course, but I'd rather he do something than say something, particularly after how long it took him to comment and how often he's brushed off direct questions on the subject. Like direct the DoJ and FBI to focus on anti-semitic groups and other white supremacist groups.

Talk is cheap, especially reluctant, long overdue talk.

I agree that talk is cheap, he needs to take action in with DoJ and whatever other legal powers he has

this was definitely long overdue

KoopaTheCasual

Seriously. With Sessions as AG, his comments about "stop and frisk" and dangerous inner cities like "Chicago", & spending the bulk of Obama's presidency denying his citizenship, this basically means nothing. And it's easy shit. People love to use MLK, Rosa Parks, Booker T Washington as exemplars and claim they're heroes. Of course they were. But it's an entirely other thing to actually understand what they stood for and reflect that in the modern age. Trump and his actions before his presidency and currently shows he holds zero of their values.
^This.

Nevertheless, its better to hear hollow words than yet another international crisis of Donald mouthing off at a leader of an allied country.

Codeblue

Talk is cheap.

And he couldn't even spare that much for islamophobia.

That entire press conference was a disgrace. Hope the threats to Jewish community centers get sorted. Have my doubts since they narrowed their focus to Muslim extremists exclusively.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
He truly is the least anti-Semitic and least Racist person we've ever seen.

Even his doctor, a Jewish, was amazed at how low his anti-Semitic levels were. Single digits people. You can't get lower than that. And his Racist count, wow, they never knew it could even be that low. No one alive, or dead, has ever hated the Jews and Blacks as little as Donald J. Trump.

I mean.. As someone who hates Trump's guts, if he got rid of Bannon I would be more open minded about his commitment to take real action on this.

But yeah...

Jag

Bannon is his link to the base that got him elected. He has no idea how to deal with them without Bannon. Bannon is not going anywhere.

As others have said, actions not words. I'm glad that some words are coming out of his mouth, but he's generated way too much badwill with me to even consider this is more than an empty gesture.

Struct09

"Today and every day of my presidency," Trump said in his public remarks, "I pledge to do everything I can to continue that promise of freedom for African-Americans and for every American. So important, nothing more important."

Great, let's start by making sure voting is easy and accessible for everyone, especially this population which has historically been disenfranchised.

Quixzlizx

Maybe he should back up these words with actions, like not having white supremacists as his closest advisors and not nominating Sessions for head of the DoJ.

It's only lose/lose for him because people can see through his bullshit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Being racist has never not been popular among a large portion of the country. He doesn't care. He see a few minorities come to trump tower and kiss the ring and think they all love him
I considered this too, and yeah, the racist US is always going to be a major thorn in the side of this country, especially right now. But Trump cares about getting the majority of people on his side, or more accurately convincing himself that the majority of people love him, and now that's he's US President that applies on a worldwide scale. I'm hoping the anti-racist, good human beings can win the tug-of-war and be the majority voice.

I dunno though, I might just be grabbing at straws. Again, I don't think he's going to turn into a good person overnight, I'm just hoping he can be manipulated to an extent.

Bannon is his link to the base that got him elected. He has no idea how to deal with them without Bannon. Bannon is not going anywhere.

As others have said, actions not words. I'm glad that some words are coming out of his mouth, but he's generated way too much badwill with me to even consider this is more than an empty gesture.
I know you're probably right, but I'm still going to hope he gets fired or screws up royally at some point for the next four years. Easily the worst part of his cabinet.

mreddie

giphy.gif

You know he could've tweeted about this once in between attacking Nordstrom and watching Fox News. I guess it wasn't that important.

Also he can show his support by firing Bannon.

Until he fires Bannon, all of this is just bullshit.
His party and cabinet is filled with people who have long harbored shitty views of minorities, the poor, and don't give a flying fuck about doing the right thing for the greater good nor are any of them interested in serving anyone but themselves and like-minded, disgustingly wealthy and powerful people. Bannon is just a turd nugget on a festering pile of human waste looking to enrich themselves at everyone else's expense. Even if Trump were alone after waving a magic wand in firing the rest of his 99% shitty crew, he still would be full of shit and untrustworthy. Real justice and truth don't have a part in this man's words or deeds.

I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but...

Bad shit happens: "Trump says nothing! Why won't he address this issue? Silence is deafening!"

Trump says something about it: "Talk is cheap. He's just telling us what we want to hear. He's lying of course! Of COURSE he would say that-- he HAS to!" etc...

Just sayin'...

Toxi

Banned
I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but...

Bad shit happens: "Trump says nothing! Why won't he address this issue? Silence is deafening!"

Trump says something about it: "Talk is cheap. He's just telling us what we want to hear. He's lying of course! Of COURSE he would say that-- he HAS to!" etc...

Just sayin'...
He was literally asked about this during the press conference and shouted down the reporters.

This is cheap damage control until it stops just being words.

Crony: "uhhhh Donald. That reporter you attacked sure ruffled some feathers"

Drumpf: "what I do?"

Crony: "That jewish reporter. You kind of attacked him when he asked about antisemitism"

Drumpf: "haha yeah. What about it?"

Crony: "Well, it looks bad on you sir"

Drumpf: "Oh yeah youre right. How do I fix this?"

Crony: "Say some nice things about the jews when you go to the bkack museum"

Drumpf: "Done"

*appoints crony high chancellor of United States*

He was literally asked about this during the press conference and shouted down the reporters.

This is cheap damage control.

It's better than dodging the question which he has done in the past. I imagine it's like nails on a chalkboard to some of the alt-right to hear this, though.

Nafai1123

Banned
We should also praise Trump for wanting to meet with the CBC. I mean who cares that he didn't know what the CBC was, and then expected a black, female reporter to set up the meeting, presumably because she's black and a woman so she knows all other black people and is great at secretarial jobs.

We should also praise Trump for wanting to meet with the CDC. I mean who cares that he didn't know what the CDC was, and then expected a black, female reporter to set up the meeting, presumably because she's black and a woman so she knows all other black people and is great at secretarial jobs.

CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom