• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the tapes are a big deal unless some staff member steals or copied them. Trump will just destroy the tapes, probably has if they existed and that's that.

If proof of that came to light, the political firestorm would blot out the sun.

Didn't Trump more or less say it factored into the decision?

Sure, but would you want to try to use his "words" against him in a trial? Too many ways he could disclaim that he said them, or meant them. Dude has redefined "wiretapping" to not mean wire-tapping.

Maxim726X

Wasn't it up in the 90s when his Presidency started?

Mid to high 90's if I recall.

I get the point that he has support of Republicans, but you need more than that to maintain your office. I don't think it's the reason Republicans aren't jumping off the Trump train, as some have argued.

He gets another 6 months, then the election cycle begins in earnest. If Trump is still floundering by then (almost a given), then you'll start to see some vocal defectors.

Sephzilla

Trump's Republican support hasn't dropped yet because the hard evidence against him hasn't dropped yet and because the GOPs 2018 seats haven't gotten too warm yet.

Lo-Volt

I wish he hadn't gotten cute with the acronym. Makes it feel gimmicky after a very serious and clearly laid out case.

Well, but slogans and catchphrases do have a way of getting into this kind of business. Whip Inflation Now (WIN) or the Tories' "We want eight [dreadnoughts] and we won't wait" or Anybody But ___.

Sephzilla

Sure, but would you want to try to use his "words" against him in a trial? Too many ways he could disclaim that he said them, or meant them. Dude has redefined "wiretapping" to not mean wire-tapping.

Trump using words while under oath is probably the best thing that could possibly happen.

I have to agree that, while actively calling for impeachment at this moment won't necessarily end up with Trump being kicked out by the end of the week, it will definitely force people into talking about it which is a good starting point.

I agree. Up till now this Russian ties scandal has been about Trump's campaign and his administration - but not about Trump himself per se. Trump firing Comey and admitting that it had to do with his investigation into said Russian ties makes this about Trump now. We have good reason now to cast suspicion directly on Trump suspect that he is compromised. Its time to call a spade a spade, and discuss impeachment even if it seems impossible in a Republican house.

Guevara

Wasn't it up in the 90s when his Presidency started?

These are actually terrible numbers at this point in his presidency.

Bush was about 10% higher, and where did he end up by the end of 2006? Trump has benefitted from having nothing controversial happen that is not his own damn fault.

imrs.php

If you want to see movement here, be my guest.

But I wouldn't base anything major on that Republican trend line.

It will be interesting to see what new news shakes out today in regards to Comey. In particular, I wonder how many questions Spicer will get thrown his way today in relation to the tapes claim.

Will the press core let him get away with those juicy non-denial-denials from Friday, or will they keep challenging him?

I was really disappointed with the journalist on Friday not just saying to him plainly, "You are intentionally mis-representing Clapper's statements" instead of poorly tryin to engage in his framework of bullshit.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
reminder that the keystone in fanatical GOP / tea nut / zealot support is right wing media. if you want to flip seats you got to flip them first. that Trump is down 12 among hard supporters shows you that an unending tide of holy shit news will actually get to his supporters, eventually. but all that shit is filtered through the snowflake bubble like a million times before it gets to your average trashball Trump supporter.

Green's statement is not so important because it will convince the house to jump right into an impeachment, but because it frames the discussion in a way that attempts a legal justification. And, I might add, without overstating what the legal definition of impeachment is. Much like when the letters came out asking for Flynn's resignation and Sessions' recusing himself.

Trump tacitly admitting to interfering in the investigation (by saying it factored into his decision to fire Comey) is amazingly one of the few instances where he has removed plausible deniability from the shenanigans going on in his administration.

Tahnit

Banned
Strong rumors on the twitter verse that within 24-72 hours arrests will be made. they will go after small fish first and try and get them to talk.

These people have been right before. So here's hoping.

Strong rumors on the twitter verse that within 24-72 hours arrests will be made. they will go after small fish first and try and get them to talk.

Is it the same people that have been discussed over the last few pages? Unless it's some actual verified people/reporters, it probably isn't worth getting excited over stuff like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

What's the difference between a rumour and a strong rumour?

Kyzer

Banned

"twitter verse"

you might as well say "people on the internet"

84% of republican voters continue to support Trump. That's all that matters. That makes Trump more popular than almost anyone in congress.

79% of republican voters even supported Trump's decision to fire Comey!
I think Paul Begala said that if Trump support falls below 80℅ for Republicans, it will start to cause Republicans to distance themselves from Trump.

Or if Ossof wins GA-8.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
What's the difference between a rumour and a strong rumour?

Probably the difference between "might" happen and "will" happen. AFAI am concerned their credibility is done if arrests dont happen by the end of the week. Rosenstein's testimony in front of the whole senate might be the turning point

Apharmd

Probably the difference between "might" happen and "will" happen. AFAI am concerned their credibility is done if arrests dont happen by the end of the week. Rosenstein's in front of the whole senate might be the turning point

When is he scheduled to be in front of the senate?

flkraven

It sucks that everything is governed by approval ratings. American democracy itself is being threatened but as long as the low-iq dickbags still approve (the 'base') then there is no point in doing anything. Does literally anyone in congress have respect for the position they hold?

Swass

If you want to see movement here, be my guest.

But I wouldn't base anything major on that Republican trend line.

I think this graph is proof of how much these polls are garbage.. what positive moves has Trump made for independents or democrats to move in an upward trajectory at any point in his short presidency? The line should be a straight downward slant from his inauguration to now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom