• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering about Rosenstein.

When Comey officially revealed the investigation in his testimony he said it's because he was authorized to do so by the DoJ. So that would be Rosenstein? As Sessions is out?

If Rosenstein is a Trump stooge why allow Comey to reveal the investigation?

They could have kept it buried.

Moofers

I think you're conflating a bunch of stuff. I love reading Mensch because I love the catharsis of her Chaos Emeralds reporting style, but I would never source it because she cray. However, I'd also caveat that with her getting some pretty obscure stuff right on the nose - not guessable stuff, but like, server ping stuff and a few of the maybe-predictable but still unlikely connection threads.

But there are really three different types of gafers right now -

1. folks like you and I, just reacting to news and making their own predictions based on the facts.

2. People who're pessimistic and just don't want to get "invested" in a success that may never come - and thinking about worst case scenarios.

3. And people who's hobby or job it is to continually cloud these discussions with concern trolling and sometimes much clumsier and more obvious distractions.

There's a fourth type, just real Trump supporters who genuinely believe there's no fire under the smoke, or know it's true and are "colluding" with the messaging, but they are few and far between and mostly get ignored.

Obviously number 3 muddies the waters for sane discussion but there's not much the mods can do unless they break to TOU or admit they're deliberately trolling/obfuscating/astroturfing.

So no matter what, the "real news" and the "showed up on CNN" position is a reasonable place to discuss from and the most stable foundation. What's infuriating is the occasional idiot who looks at the Comey firing or Flynn's cavalcade of shenanigans and states that there's nothing going on there. Those people are an affront to even stupidity and should be on your ignore list already.

The most reasonable of takes

Word. Thanks to all for the replies. I'm looking forward to where we will be in a month from now.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
C_4usYcWAAEcEay.jpg

Chuck responds.

gutshot

I don't care about Mensch but I would like to hear about why some here are so certain Taylor is making shit up. I'm seeing more and more sources pick up what they're both saying (see Raw Story recently for example). Sometimes it feels like GAF is never convinced until something is on CNN which is just puzzling to me.

I'm of the mind that we are all about to see Taylor and Mensch proven right. Not sure when, but I think it's coming.

You say that like it is a bad thing? Waiting for a real news org to report something before becoming convinced is the correct stance to take.

Guevara

Definitely don't trust Rosenstein to do the right thing.

1. He has already declined to recommend a special prosecutor in the Russia investigation
  2. His bullshit memo defending firing Comey reaffirmed the lie that it was about Hillary's emails
  3. Oh yeah and he worked with Kenneth Starr investigating Whitewater.

Apharmd

1. He has already declined to recommend a special prosecutor in the Russia investigation
  2. His bullshit memo defending firing Comey reaffirmed the lie that it was about Hillary's emails

...So this really is just to cover his own ass, huh

This alone has me pessimistic.

Trump, with Republican help, has completely undermined the investigation at every turn. Firing the FBI chief means there'll be nothing but mistrust of the outcome.

I don't understand how this mythical threshold that must be reached before a special prosecutor is warranted hasn't been blown apart by this administration.

gutshot

1. This could be because he knows the FBI is close and appointing a special prosecutor would just serve to slow things down. Remember, Comey came to him requesting prosecutors right before he was fired, so even if he doesn't have the full details of the investigation, he knows that they will be moving to indictments and prosecution soon.

2. He was instructed to write-up reasons for Comey's firing and this was the only plausible excuse he could find. If you actually read the memo, he is spot-on about the mistakes that Comey made with the Clinton case.

3. Not really sure why we should hold this against him? Admittedly, I know little about the Whitewater investigation, so you will have to enlighten me here.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
1. This could be because he knows the FBI is close and appointing a special prosecutor would just serve to slow things down. Remember, Comey came to him requesting prosecutors right before he was fired, so even if he doesn't have the full details of the investigation, he knows that they will be moving to indictments and prosecution soon.

This is the biggest one. If they did get a special prosecutor wouldn't it just start it all over again? Seems like they are getting way too close for comfort.

Maxim726X

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Probably a stupid and old question, but how is Trump getting away with all this sketchy shit he is doing?

Complicit Republicans trying to take advantage of his time in power by cramming shit legislation through before it comes crumbling down.

Is fucking Rudy still on the short list?

Any people who actually deserve the position being interviewed?

Because what he's doing is perfectly within his power. Now the real question- How does the rest of the FBI and IC respond? I would imagine they're not too happy.

No and not really with the exception of the acting director of the fbi

Shoeless

Interesting Politico article

How Trump gets his fake news

That was an unsurprisingly terrifying article. Everybody around him is more concerned with advancing their own agendas through him rather than doing anything legitimately good for the country. It's like European courts in the medieval period all over again, with nobles vying for power in a self-absorbed, largely indifferent court with a mad king on the throne.

Moofers

You say that like it is a bad thing? Waiting for a real news org to report something before becoming convinced is the correct stance to take.

I'm just implying that CNN isn't the end-all-be-all of news. They've made it clear they are playing the ratings game more than they are playing the reporting game. That approach has cost them some credibility in the eyes of a lot of people.

gutshot

I'm just implying that CNN isn't the end-all-be-all of news. They've made it clear they are playing the ratings game more than they are playing the reporting game. That approach has cost them some credibility in the eyes of a lot of people.

I'm not a huge CNN fan either but their actual reporters only print real, verifiable news. It's the panels, with their pundits and special guests, that are a dumpster fire.

Personally, I look to NYT, WaPo, and the AP as my main sources for quality journalism.

Maxim726X

I'm not a huge CNN fan either but their actual reporters only print real, verifiable news. It's the panels, with their pundits and special guests, that are a dumpster fire.

Personally, I look to NYT, WaPo, and the AP as my main sources for quality journalism.

Add Politico and this is basically me.

Politico is fucking great.

Ryck

Thanks for the answers guys, such a strange time, I don't recall things ever being this blatant before. Depressing really.

I was just framing it from a Watergate perspective. From my understanding, things really accelerated when Nixon tried to get his AGs to fire the special prosecutor. They refused, he fired them, then fired the prosecutor himself.

Just seemed like it rocked the boat hard and sent a message that Nixon was not acting within his powers. But I see your point. I'm just apprehensive about putting my trust in Rosenstein.

Yes and no.

It was what sent the message to congress that Nixon was not acting within his powers. But congress was, at the time, Democratic. The republicans would not have impeached Nixon, but realizing that impeachment was inevitable, they decided to join the chorus of finger-shaming him in an effort to let him resign. An impeachment would have killed the party and they did not have the votes to stop it from happening. If they were in control of congress, regardless of how hard Nixon rocked the boat, they would have kept on keeping on.

Basically what I'm saying is: this is Nixonian, but it's not a mirror of his downfall.

Yes and no.

It was what sent the message to congress that Nixon was not acting within his powers. But congress was, at the time, Democratic. The republicans would not have impeached Nixon, but realizing that impeachment was inevitable, they decided to join the chorus of finger-shaming him in an effort to let him resign. An impeachment would have killed the party and they did not have the votes to stop it from happening. If they were in control of congress, regardless of how hard Nixon rocked the boat, they would have kept on keeping on.

Basically what I'm saying is: this is Nixonian, but it's not a mirror of his downfall.
Yeah the legislative being in control of the GOP certainly makes things different this time around. No denying that.

I check:
CNN
Fox
NYT
WSJ
WaPo
Reddit/Politics
T_D
Breitbart

I think it's important to see what all sides are saying about various situations. I check most of these for headlines once a day. Sometimes I can't stomach T_D or Breitbart and skip them. :-(

Moofers

Add Politico and this is basically me.

Politico is fucking great.

I'm still wary of some of those because I remember the primaries. I hear you though.

Tovarisc

Spicey not being able to say definitively about the tapes is putting him into some really sticky situations with the press at briefings.

Still glad to see reporters pressuring him about whole tapes thing. Keep that bench heated up.

Edit: lol, time to run away when heat comes in about Comey and taping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom