• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump introduces his plan for a Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement-Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually watching the speech while I was at work thinking that is was actually going much better than I could have expected... then that happened. And it only went downhill from there, I had to stop watching when he literally turned those poor people in his visitors box into props.

Ummm how about every US government law enforcement agency in existence? I mean is that a serious question?
Their job is to enforce the law.

Not, in Donald Trump's own words, "provide a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests".

Which has absolutely nothing to do with enforcement.

Please, try again.

Toxi

Banned
Ummm how about every US government law enforcement agency in existence? I mean is that a serious question?
Those do not specifically investigate crime commited by native citizens. They do not just throw out crimes commited by immigrants.

So to be clear, when you say "in context" you are referring to the context of the speech in which this department was announced, correct?

Taken from one of the numerous article written about voice:

"VOICE stands for the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement. It's a special unit that will hypothetically work under ICE, or Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. This is a new program that Trump's administration wants to put into action. The new VOICE office would provide "a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests," the president said.

Trump said that the new VOICE office would target criminal organizations or criminals that target American citizens"

These are ALSO investigating crimes of immigrants smartass.

So, which agency investigates crimes of native born citizens ONLY? Care to name it? Thought so, because it doesn't exist.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
He did not mention that immigrant that got killed and 2 injured, did he?

He mentioned the shooting, but he didn't mention that the ones shot were 2 Indian immigrants and an American citizen who risked his life to stop the shooter. Hell, I'm sure the shooting was just mentioned off the top of the speech just to get it out of the way, and to get people to shut up about him being mum about it.

Those do not specifically investigate crime commited by native citizens.
Nor are they "giving voice to victims silenced by the special interests".

The police and federal Justice departments literally exist for the SOLE purpose of investigation of crime and ensuring our justice system functions.

Not to "give voice to the voiceless" and other empty such platitudes.

Toxi

Banned

"VOICE stands for the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement. It's a special unit that will hypothetically work under ICE, or Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. This is a new program that Trump's administration wants to put into action. The new VOICE office would provide "a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests," the president said.

Trump said that the new VOICE office would target criminal organizations or criminals that target American citizens"
This blatantly contradicts your bullshit argument that VOICE will be about protecting immigrants or victims of human trafficking or what have you.

Not that you care, since it was disingenuous bullshit in the first place you only used to try and ofubuscate the issue.

He mentioned the shooting, but he didn't mention that the ones shot were 2 Indian immigrants and an American citizen who risked his life to stop the shooter. Hell, I'm sure the shooting was just mentioned off the top of the speech just to get it out of the way, and to get people to shut up about him being mum about it.

I wonder why he didn't bring anyone involved there to his propaganda address. Strange.

Their job is to enforce the law.

Not, in Donald Trump's own words, "provide a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests".

Which has absolutely nothing to do with enforcement.

Please, try again.

The thing that really got me is I actually knew about every single one of the stories of the folks he brought with him. So which ones are getting ignored exactly? Seems like they got way more coverage then had those crimes been committed by legal citizens actually.

So how does that mesh with your earlier presupposed narrative that it would theoretically combat human trafficking and drug dealing that's disproportionately effecting immigrants?

You're moving the goal posts before the discussion has even begun.

GutsOfThor

It's alright everyone! Van Jones said he became president tonight!

Mr. Love Army can march that Army right into his asshole.

theWB27

You refuse to answer peoples specific question.

watershed

Banned
Its disgusting to see Endangered or any other gaffer play ignorant games with Trump's actions that are already deeply prejudiced and will surely result in more hate and injustice. Stuff like this already makes innocent people fear for their own safety because the government of the country they live in is actively hostile towards them and the people they love.

If you're not here to discuss anything, and it's clear you're not, then honestly, it's kinda sad to waste your own time for some bizarre yucks at really nobodies expense.

So how does that mesh with your earlier presupposed narrative that it would theoretically combat human trafficking and drug dealing that's disproportionately effecting immigrants?

You're moving the goal posts before the discussion has even begun.

Just a conclusion one can make since it falls under ICE control. And not for example DHS .

Sianos

Unnamed sources? Trump would be disappointed in you.

Google tells me your source is... Romper? Well, I guess that works.

Huh, so judging by your quotes the phrase "immigration crime" in fact does not refer to crimes involving imports. Kind of makes sense - to use your phrase, look at the context of the speech in which this was announced.

Shaanyboi

Banned
182z4vns198gfjpg.jpg
Yup...

Sianos

Hey wait, let's take some better quotes from that article!

"Ever since he announced his candidacy for president, Trump has been fighting against immigrants. When he announced his candidacy, Trump said that he wanted to stop Mexican immigrants, whom he characterized as drug dealers and rapists, from entering the America. He can't build a wall to protect Americans from these fictional drug dealers and rapists, so he announced a different kind of wall: his VOICE program."

"Instead of focusing on real immigration reform, Trump's proposed VOICE office within ICE will only stoke fear among Americans and anyone in the United States who hopes to seek a legal path to citizenship or even a work visa."

"Aside from that, Trump didn't lay out a real plan about how to provide a real path to citizenship for immigrants coming into the United States. His proposed VOICE program sounds more like a witch hunt than a real policy."

Cowardice is a common trait they seem to share.

Oh no someone thinks I'm a coward. Take a break from inspecting foundry equipment at 1:00am to give my opinion on what this means and it's name calling, tar and feathering. You all continue in your echo chamber.

Oh no someone thinks I'm a coward. Take a break from inspecting foundry equipment at 1:00am to give my opinion on what this means and it's name calling, tar and feathering. You all continue in your echo chamber.
The only one that hasn't wanted to engage in food faith dialogue here so far has been you, to be perfectly honest.

KHarvey16

Answer people's questions. Answer my question:

If there is no need for an agency that investigates crimes committed specifically by white people because, as you argue, we already have agencies that incidentally investigate crimes committed by white people, why do we need a special one just for immigrants?

Respond with substance if you want any in return.

You people are great at proving your detractors right, though, so thanks for that.

sonicmj1

Going by the description of VOICE from Trump's speech, its priorities were already authorized, sorta, in his Executive Order from January 25, 2017, which states in pertinent part:

Sec. 9. Sanctuary Jurisdictions. It is the policy of the executive branch to ensure, to the fullest extent of the law, that a State, or a political subdivision of a State, shall comply with 8 U.S.C. 1373.
(b) To better inform the public regarding the public safety threats associated with sanctuary jurisdictions, the Secretary shall utilize the Declined Detainer Outcome Report or its equivalent and, on a weekly basis, make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens.
Sec. 13. Office for Victims of Crimes Committed by Removable Aliens. The Secretary shall direct the Director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to take all appropriate and lawful action to establish within U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement an office to provide proactive, timely, adequate, and professional services to victims of crimes committed by removable aliens and the family members of such victims. This office shall provide quarterly reports studying the effects of the victimization by criminal aliens present in the United States.

I'm pretty sure it's incredibly unconstitutional for the executive to deny federal funds to jurisdictions in the manner described in other parts of the order, so maybe all the stuff in here doesn't count? Or maybe he's describing something he already did?

It has nothing to do with actually fighting crime, only publicizing a small fraction of it for political ends.

PBalfredo

Is there any way to block or oppose this? Is this just something happening on order within the DHS or does it need funding or approval from congress?

Breads

Banned

It's only echoing in here because you aren't adequately answering what people are asking you or making much of an effort to justify statements.

:edit:

nm banned

Ozigizo

You totally are, or you would engage in good faith.

sonicmj1

Answer people's questions. Answer my question:

If there is no need for an agency that investigates crimes committed specifically by white people because, as you argue, we already have agencies that incidentally investigate crimes committed by white people, why do we need a special one just for immigrants?

Nothing in Trump's speech suggested that this new government organization would actually investigate anything.

President Donald Trump said:
And we must support the victims of crime. I have ordered the Department of Homeland Security to create an office to serve American victims. The office is called Voice, Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement.

We are providing a voice to those who have been ignored by our media and silenced by special interests.

Entirely focused on victims. Absolutely nothing about actual law enforcement.

Simply answer the questions.

Oh NVM

He had more than enough of a chance. But he wanted to spew his diet racist BS while dancing around questions instead of actually discussing anything.

Orange Fuckwad is coherent for more than 5 minutes at a time and the closet supporters come out of the woodwork. Good lord.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So let's get this straight, "certain" people could be accusing certain minorities/'illegals' of wrong doing and by doing so even if their allegations are false they basically get them deported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom