• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump introduces his plan for a Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement-Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Nothing in Trump's speech suggested that this new government organization would actually investigate anything.

Entirely focused on victims. Absolutely nothing about actual law enforcement.

Its propaganda. Its gonna provide a megaphone for prejudice. Its like his proposed weekly list of all crimes committed by immigrants but at a whole new level. This will create more fear and hate.

Mr.Mike

The only special group that I could see it be justified to create a special law enforcement agency for would be the police.

Anyway, here's your anti-trump libertarians I guess.

"We are providing a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests,"
What does the media even have to do with something like this? If anything any time a newsworthy crime happens the media jumps at the chance to label it a foreign terrorist attack or something.

182z4vns198gfjpg.jpg
Very accurate

Nothing in Trump's speech suggested that this new government organization would actually investigate anything.

so basically it looks for more people for him to use as props during speeches

Ozigizo

What does the media even have to do with something like this? If anything any time something newsworthy crime happens the media jumps at the chance to label it a foreign terrorist attack or something.

It pushes Bannon's war against everything that isn't Brietbert.

aaaaa0

To be fair and it is about being fair isn't it. It's called Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement. Immigration crime is not the same as "crime committed by immigrants".

Immigration crime can even include the immigrants as the victims. It can include anything from human trafficking to drug dealing. Anything involving illegal imports to all sorts of things.

That doesn't sound like the purpose of the agency.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...ation-Laws-to-Serve-the-National-Interest.pdf
John F. Kelly said:
D. Establishing the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE) Office

Criminal aliens routinely victimize Americans and other legal residents. Often, these victims are not provided adequate information about the offender, the offender's immigration status, or any enforcement action taken by ICE against the offender. Efforts by ICE to engage these victims have been hampered by prior Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policy extending certain Privacy Act protections to persons other than U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, leaving victims feeling marginalized and without a voice. Accordingly, I am establishing the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE) Office within the Office of the Director of ICE, which will create a programmatic liaison between ICE and the known victims of crimes committed by removable aliens. The liaison will facilitate engagement with the victims and their families to ensure, to the extent permitted by law, that they are provided information about the offender, including the offender's immigration status and custody status, and that their questions and concerns regarding immigration enforcement efforts are addressed.

To that end, I direct the Director of ICE to immediately reallocate any and all resources that are currently used to advocate on behalf of illegal aliens (except as necessary to comply with a judicial order) to the new VOICE Office, and to immediately terminate the provision of such outreach or advocacy services to illegal aliens.

Nothing herein may be construed to authorize disclosures that are prohibited by law or may relate to information that is Classified, Sensitive but Unclassified (SBU), Law Enforcement Sensitive (LES), For Official Use Only (FOUO), or similarly designated information that may relate to national security, law enforcement, or intelligence programs or operations, or disclosures that are reasonably likely to cause harm to any person.

Okay well, maybe this time I can get a response interested in arguing or discussing in good faith rather than a troll.

I'll ask again.

Trump voters, do you have any justification for this and if so, how?

He had more than enough of a chance. But he wanted to spew his diet racist BS while dancing around questions instead of actually discussing anything.

Orange Fuckwad is coherent for more than 5 minutes at a time and the closet supporters come out of the woodwork. Good lord.

Well we do try to call them out but they never last long of course. It's just a sad state of affairs where GAF has a stronger stance regarding racism and bigotry than the US government.

hongcha

Among the many terrible things in Trump's speech today, this struck me as the worst. The fact it says "Immigration" instead of "Illegal Immigration" is mind-boggling. However, even if it were the latter instead of the former, there is no need for such an Agency except as a long-game to perpetuate irrational fear against immigrants.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please leave Engaged alone. He can't answer your questions yet. Give him another year or so when Trump had made it so that their VOICES can be heard loud and proud and they can finally shout out in the streets, "White Power."

Come on Engaged, you and Trump aren't fooling me. Display bravery and admit it. You may feel this is a "White Country" and it's time to take back what's yours from all the brown and black people and the misguided liberals. Admit it, these falsehoods are your belief system.

You are not ignorant. You know exactly what Trump is saying. You are just waiting for the day when it doesn't have to be thinley veiled. Well my friend, I'm heart broken to say this but the White House is trying their hardest to make your wish come true.

wildfire

Banned
Do people not understand that this isn't about illegal immigrants? It's about immigrants period.

You're right. I've recognized this point but I'm still stuck in addressing this in terms of illegals.

If we all gave this further thought we would realize the end game is to attack all non whites and Jews.

KHarvey16

We can remove "investigate" and replace it with "specifically address." The overall point remains entirely unchanged.

What does the media even have to do with something like this? If anything any time something newsworthy crime happens the media jumps at the chance to label it a foreign terrorist attack or something.

Think "black crimes" section of Breitbart News. That's what Bannon and Co. are looking for.

Tommy DJ

He had more than enough of a chance. But he wanted to spew his diet racist BS while dancing around questions instead of actually discussing anything.

Orange Fuckwad is coherent for more than 5 minutes at a time and the closet supporters come out of the woodwork. Good lord.

The same shit happened with that Canadian Trump supporter. He would literally only answer responses where he could go "Toronto is reverse racist, I can't find a job in Toronto because I'm a white male. Canada is a place where you can legally be racist towards white males" ad nauseum.

Its seriously tiring.

The same shit happened with that Canadian Trump supporter. He would literally only answer responses where he could go "Toronto is reverse racist, I can't find a job in Toronto because I'm a white male. Canada is a place where you can legally be racist towards white males".

Its seriously tiring.

'Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white" mentality is increasing. And that includes retweets from our current President. #WhiteGenocide

Do people not understand that this isn't about illegal immigrants? It's about brown people period.

A more accurate fix. We're gonna see more Kansas type shootings because of this.

At least the people on MSNBC were calling it out for what it is, meanwhile on CNN...

aaaaa0

Didn't realize it already existed and had been declared with that name.

This is a pure propaganda play.

The VOICE agency and directive rescinds Privacy Act protections for aliens that commit crimes and specifically creates an agency tasked with giving this information to the victims of that crime.

This means you will see lists of aliens (nowhere does he say this disclosure applies only to illegal aliens) that committed crimes compiled and distributed by the victims of the crime.

The perception will now be reinforced that aliens are more criminal than citizens, when statistically, the opposite is true.

sonicmj1

We can remove "investigate" and replace it with "specifically address." The overall point remains entirely unchanged.

And I agree with that point. There's no evidence that victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants aren't being effectively served by the same institutions that help victims of all crimes. Just emphasizing how useless the organization is going to be at accomplishing anything positive.

Given that the order founding the organization (from aaaaa0's link) gets the resources for this new office from reallocating "any and all resources that are currently used to advocate on behalf of illegal aliens" and eliminating "the provision of such outreach or advocacy services to illegal aliens," its founding purpose seems to be spitting in the eye of immigrants' rights.

besada

Banned
To that end, I direct the Director of ICE to immediately reallocate any and all resources that are currently used to advocate on behalf of illegal aliens (except as necessary to comply with a judicial order) to the new VOICE Office, and to immediately terminate the provision of such outreach or advocacy services to illegal aliens.

That's particularly ugly.

A more accurate fix. We're gonna see more Kansas type shootings because of this.

At least the people on MSNBC were calling it out for what it is, meanwhile on CNN...

Yeah CNN's front page headline made me roll my fucking eyes. "Presidential Trump"

They get balls once in a while and then they go and do shit like this.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
to me this sounds like the office where you report that your neighbor is an illegal immigrant and they go pick him up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is a pure propaganda play.

The VOICE agency and directive rescinds Privacy Act protections for aliens that commit crimes and specifically creates an agency tasked with giving this information to the victims of that crime.

This means you will see lists of aliens (nowhere does he say this disclosure applies only to illegal aliens) that committed crimes compiled and distributed by the victims of the crime.

The perception will now be reinforced that aliens are more criminal than citizens, when statistically, the opposite is true.

Gee I can't see how this could possibly be abused. It's not like people have been convicted on unfounded grounds before or anything.

KHarvey16

And I agree with that point. There's no evidence that victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants aren't being effectively served by the same institutions that help victims of all crimes. Just emphasizing how useless the organization is going to be at accomplishing anything positive.

Given that the order founding the organization (from aaaaa0's link) gets the resources for this new office from reallocating "any and all resources that are currently used to advocate on behalf of illegal aliens" and eliminating "the provision of such outreach or advocacy services to illegal aliens," its founding purpose seems to be spitting in the eye of immigrants' rights.

That's particularly ugly.

Wow. I must have skimmed too quickly because I missed that the first time through. The administration's motivations here are completely transparent.

Oersted

White House announces six people sitting with the First Lady tomorrow night. Three are relatives of people killed by illegal immigrants.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/836437845124476928

hold on though, isn't Reason.com awful garbage?

The source is CNBC. Reason is a additional opinion piece and in this case they are correct. At the point I was making the thread, barely any news outlets picked up the 'VOICE' story, yet alone called it out. They did, and despite my general dislike for them, their argumentation is sound here.

I am ashamed for the first time in my life that I am an American.

Utterly, irreparably shameful.

Good. That's how most Germans feel for two years of history classes. I hope you guys learn from it.

Probably also why we don't really like American patriotism.

Blind national pride doesn't help anyone.

Its no coincidence that attacks upon Muslims (or even just people seen as maybe Muslim) are on the rise. That Mosques are being torched. That Jewish graves are being desecrated, and their community centers threatened. That swastikas and white nationalism are making a comeback.

Those of the truly deplorable underbelly of this country are feeling free to go beyond the public party dog whistle into direct action, hoping they can pressure and terrify into exile those Trump and his cadre of paranoid patriots can't vanish or block from entry through legal powers.

An idea like VOICE isn't there as a counter to those who defend the rights of violent criminals to roam free, as nobody is demanding that. Its there to stir the pot of resentments and fear, to clutch the anxious to Trump's strong leader arms, and to give the go ahead to the community through acts small and large to act as Trump's very own defacto deportation force. And to push those in fear to self deport for their own good.

Its twisted, manipulative, and the most insidious kind of propaganda, and Trump is just reminding us all how far we've fallen from American ideals, and how easy it is to ascend to power on the basis of choosing the right groups to blame for all the country's ills.

commedieu

Banned
Does this mean that someone could attack an immigrant and get away with it because immigrants won't have any way to defend themselves through our legal system?

We already have data proving that immigrants fear going to authorities. It's been happening. This is the point. History is repeating itself.

Why would you go to the police yesterday if you were a undocumented person? Why would you go tomorrow?

Fucking vile.

Just like the travel EO, the real intent behind this is to signal to a certain group that they aren't welcome here. This agency's sole purpose is to otherize and then demonize immigrants. The damage Trump has done to America's reputation is immeasurable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom