• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump offers China a trade deal for solving the North Korea problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

He also rejected his previous claim that China was manipulating its currency.

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump said Wednesday he has offered Chinese President Xi Jinping a more favorable trade deal for Beijing in exchange for his help on confronting the threat of North Korea.

Mr. Trump, in a wide-ranging interview with The Wall Street Journal, said he would accept, for instance, a trade deal with China that does less to address trade deficits.

“I told him, I said, ‘You know we’re not going to let that [current trade deficit] go ahead,’ ” Mr. Trump said of his meeting last week with Mr. Xi. He added he told Mr. Xi: “ ‘But you want to make a great deal? Solve the problem in North Korea.’ That’s worth having deficits. And that’s worth having not as good a trade deal as I would normally be able to make.”

Mr. Trump also said his administration won’t label China a currency manipulator in a report due this week, despite promises he made on the campaign trail. Mr. Trump said China has stopped manipulating its currency and that it was more important to focus on cooperation with China on North Korea.
wsj.com

I'm pretty sure these trade deals affect American jobs. Also, currency manipulation affect American jobs since it makes Chinese imports cheaper and American exports more expensive.

The great negotiator went against another two campaign promises.

EDIT: Three if you count his about face on NATO.

NandoGip

Not specifically defending Trump but anyone in business knows that your starting offer has to be much higher than your actual goal so that once you negotiate towards the middle you actually land where you originally wanted

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
'ok trump we help with korea'

shitty trade deal

china does not help with korea

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
LdtOB.gif

hawk2025

Not specifically defending Trump but anyone in business knows that your starting offer has to be much higher than your actual goal so that once you negotiate towards the middle you actually land where you originally wanted

...He's bidding against himself in the "negotiation" before it even starts.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So we're the plan is we're going to sign a bad trade deal with China so we can go and bomb NK...... and watch as NK bombs SK....... yeah so I guess President Jackass strikes again

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trump: "I thought you were going to help with North Korea!"

China: "I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it again."

Lol I got a bridge to sell him (if I didn't know he wouldn't pay up anyway) if he thinks China is gonna help him with shit.

I mean, China might have an interest in replacing Kim Jung Un with another, more favorable and stable dictator since NK can nuke China too at this point. But that's something that if they're interested in, they'd probably be working towards regardless of trade deals

Ms.Galaxy

At this point I feel the only policies that Trump is actually going to go through with is his bigoted social policies... His voters will be pleased enough to vote him for a second term.

Bedlam

Trump really is learning world politics like a baby would.

Wonder how his supporters will stomach being confronted with reality.

Flo_Evans

pivot.gif?!?!?!

I really don't see this as a bad thing. Everyone knows china manipulates its currency, what difference does it make if we officially label them? We need them and they need us. Trade war does no one any good.

N Korea needs to be dealt with.

Crazy ass Trump base is going to be pissed!

win win win. getting tired of winning!

pivot.gif?!?!?!

I really don't see this as a bad thing. Everyone knows china manipulates its currency, what difference does it make if we officially label them? We need them and they need us. Trade war does no one any good.

N Korea needs to be dealt with.

Crazy ass Trump base is going to be pissed!

win win win. getting tired of winning!

If China does want to deal with N Korea, I really doubt it'll have anything to do with trade deals. And it'll still end up with a hostile, china friendly regime, just one that China can maybe control a bit better.

"No puppet!"

Is a Russian puppet.

"Deal maker!"

China's bitch.

Thanks, other voters.

China should have held trumps feet to the fire on global warming in exchange

No, they like him being a clueless moron. Makes them look better with their conveniently accelerated alternative energies initiative domestically and with the EU.

Ac30

If China does want to deal with N Korea, I really doubt it'll have anything to do with trade deals. And it'll still end up with a hostile, china friendly regime, just one that China can maybe control a bit better.

That's still a massive win for global security.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
this might be the smartest thing he has done. Obama's biggest foreign policy legacy is going to be dealing with iran and if trump can get some stability in NK, that would be a huge win for pretty much the entire world.

That's still a massive win for global security.

This is true, but if it happens it'll have nothing to do with Trump's trade deals and everything to do with China's own security interests, so we'll essentially be letting ourselves into an unfavorable trade deal for nothing

Flo_Evans

I mean it could end up with a reunified Korea. Can you imagine Trump taking credit for that... lol

Zophar

100% okay with North Korea becoming a Chinese vassal state as opposed to a rogue nuclear one. I feel for the Korean people deeply, but nothing can happen to improve their situation until the Kims are gone.

Jenov

Yes, you're right, but his whole campaign was about getting better trade deals for the United States, not China.

Yep, sounds like Trump's M.O. Two faced liar who would rather sell out the middle class and his own constituents on a shit trade deal so that he can instead inflate his ego by claiming a war notch on his belt.

Ac30

This is true, but if it happens it'll have nothing to do with Trump's trade deals and everything to do with China's own security interests, so we'll essentially be letting ourselves into an unfavorable trade deal for nothing

I suppose. I have no faith in Trump's negotiating skills. But the added stability regime change will bring will also benefit America financially.

Ovid

Are there any details on how Trump and China will deal with North Korea or is it just in the concept phase?

It's going to be tough.

He said they also discussed China turning away North Korea coal shipments.

He said they hit it off during their first discussion. Mr. Trump said he told his Chinese counterpart he believed Beijing could easily take care of the North Korea threat. Mr. Xi then explained the history of China and Korea, Mr. Trump said.

”After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it's not so easy," Mr. Trump recounted. ”I felt pretty strongly that they had a tremendous power" over North Korea," he said. ”But it's not what you would think."

I suppose. I have no faith in Trump's negotiating skills. But the added stability regime change will bring will also benefit America financially.

I agree, but again, I doubt this will prompt any action unless China is already planning to act at which point Trump is just giving out a favorable trade deal so he can pretend he helped and take credit

Flo_Evans

China is never going to let a reunified Korea happen. At best it'd be NK under new leadership, not NK rejoining SK

Obviously that is pie in the sky. Baby steps though Kim needs to GTFO.

Back in the 80s it was crazy talk that Germany would unify. Russia would never allow it ect.

Trump is so out of his element, getting schooled as he goes with no real understanding of what he's doing or talking about.

Obviously that is pie in the sky. Baby steps though Kim needs to GTFO.

Back in the 80s it was crazy talk that Germany would unify. Russia would never allow it ect.

The USSR was having some troubles of it's own at the time.

rjinaz

this might be the smartest thing he has done. Obama's biggest foreign policy legacy is going to be dealing with iran and if trump can get some stability in NK, that would be a huge win for pretty much the entire world.

He should solve the Middle East next. Now that would be smart and be a huge win. So easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom