• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump offers China a trade deal for solving the North Korea problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see how this situation ends without someone getting blown up.

I think people exaggerate what went on with NK.

NK has ALWAYS used posture. They do a nuclear test and they may get slapped on sanctions, or the US does something to make them back down and then nothing happens. Happens almost every year.

Trump was dumb enough to take it more far than he should have. Basically nothing was going to happen, if Trump took reasonable measures. What Trump just did was blink, and gave the Chinese a favorable deal while they might do 'something'( and that something is something we could have done and could have pressured China) and we really don't get anything to show besides making China looking good.

Maxim726X

But they had the best chocolate cake you've ever seen.

C9N7a3rUwAAsKIh.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/852160751666180097

Unbelievable. What a jackass.

On topic- Didn't someone in the WH think it would be a good idea to fucking explain the relationship between NK and China, so that he didn't look like a moron in front of a preeminent world leader? Layers upon layers of ineptitude.

This is, to be fair, the closest he's come to anything resembling actual negotiations.

I mean, he got played like a bitch, but at least he got to the table this time!

Te-Ping Chen‏Verified account @tepingchen 11 minutes ago
How the news Trump won't label China a currency manipulator plays here:
"Eating his words!"
"Trump slaps self in face, again"
C9QuN4tVwAA58JH.jpg
C9QuO3yUAAAJoQL.jpg

To be fair, he has the best words. Ask him. I'm sure they're delicious.

If this wasn't Trump I'd say "good."

Sadly the best case scenario for NK is a MASSIVE refugee issue for SK and China that will need global help to deal with millions of malnourished brainedwashed people.

They wouldn't let that happen. The best case scenario is for NK people to be given proper food for once, and a slow back away to a coalition government between SK and NK systems.

Lifting sanctions on certain requirements would be helpful with that.

Dude Abides

Banned
Dunno why you guys are blaming Trump, CIA and US military want NK land for a base.
Trump acting dumb is for them

Yeah that's what's going on. I'm glad someone here understands Trump's nine-dimensional chess moves. The only other people who get Trump's strategic brilliance all seem to stick to the_donald.

This guy, he's just a random dude from the street who has to get told stuff that he should have had already known before getting the job. lmao

Seriously. I know more about the government works and foreign policy than the sitting POTUS and I fix toilets for a living. Bizarro world.

zethren

Banned
This. Fucking. Guy.

You know what Mr. right wing middle America? I DO want a college-educated "elitist" to lead this country. I want someone who knows what the fuck is going on in the world. Someone who understands history and politics.

"An everyman", "a businessman". Fuck these people, they aren't qualified for the job.

Preach. I've been baffled by this stupid shit for years. Somewhere along the line the conservative propaganda machine decided it wanted to push for the "Everyman" and the "businessman" to be leaders, because it marketed well to the ignorance of their base. And it made them money, lots and lots of money.

This planet is fucked because of money fueled ignorance.

His father left him billions.

Not quite. He had an inheritance of $40 million in 1974, and around the year 2000 he inherited a few hundred million. He has had business success and business failure, but the early success is the one that counted most, winning a bet on New York real estate that has been paying dividends long term. Early on, being connected to his family gave him a big boost in less direct ways, i.e. giving him a major boost in the amount of money he could borrow.

Ominym

Banned
But they had the best chocolate cake you've ever seen.

C9N7a3rUwAAsKIh.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/852160751666180097
Holy shit this is bad. I sincerely hope that Trump explicitly clarified in person that he didn't fire the fucking missiles at China.

Can you imagine the tension as Trump slowly meanders through a sentence that started with, "hey so let me tell you we fired missles and they all hit".

Imagine being a foreign leader, knowing Trump is unpredictable and stupid, and having him tell you in the vaguest terms possible what war action had taken place.

Amalthea

Banned
"Do as I say or I'll throw your region into a disaster you hadn't seen in 60 years! (And I totally will anyway...)"

Yep, that's Trumps classic way of deal-making.

And once there will be millions of refugees again, America will naturally want to know nothing about them, being all: "They aren't our problem, we didn't do nuthin!"

Laekon

He doesn't even know what a trade deficit is. He thinks that there is no duty on items imported from China when there is. Killing the TPP is the best thing to happen to China in years. Just a complete moron.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Dunno why you guys are blaming Trump, CIA and US military want NK land for a base.
Trump acting dumb is for them
Says the guy blaming Obama for non-existant spending on a non-existant plane. Why do you go around making things up to defend our racist moron President? You're not even American are you?

You know it's kinda hilarious lining up his tweets of the past about how to solve the USA's problems and his current constant stream of "its more complex than I thought".

Just a man waaaaaaaaaaaay the fuck out of his depth on a constant minute by minute basis.
Didn't he say something similar when Obama was showing him around the White House and explained to him about what it means to be a President? Took a week or so and Trump went, "Yeah.... nah nah, I'll do it my way!"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That doesn't sound like a bad gambit to me. They get stuff we want, we get stuff we want. It'll be fun to look back on this action when we have the benefit of hindsight 3 years from now.

Spoiler alert. Trump goes back to insulting China next week.

If he doesn't get what he wants, probably. Magnitude of shit talking is one of the negotiable commodities, apparently. If it works, Trump will have created value out of his own hot air bullshit.

#FakeSpoilers

No insults yet, and it's been a month. It's starting to look like the bolded is actually bearing results.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I love that Trump has lowered standards so much that people brag when he hasn't insulted a major trade partner in over a month.

To be clear, I'm actually bragging that my analysis was correct, not that I'm glad Trump has or hasn't been running his mouth.

ZOONAMI

I'm extremely worried that if US preemptively strikes NK, China will say ok we're gonna take Taiwan now.

I'm not a master negotiator, but I feel like telling the other party you're willing to accept a given deal based on an unrelated circumstance is giving away that in the isolated context of the trade negotiations you can afford to accept a deal that poor, full stop.

I don't see how China doesn't just push for the best version of the deal even if they don't do anything with North Korea. You've already told them you can afford it, what's your leverage to demand better?

KingV

My boss (who is Chinese) seems to think that Trump has given President Xi a ton of face. He was very impressed by Ivankas kids doing that Chinese poem, noting that his own children don't speak Chinese well enough to do so.

That is actually the art of Trumps diplomacy, such as it is. "Suck up to everybody". With China, Trump talks up Xi as an equal and a friend and does so early and often. He doesn't seem to set limits on it either, he'll kiss Kim Jong Un's ass, egypts dictator, The guy in the Philippines.

I think it eventually backfires because he can't publically kiss everybody's ass and keep everybody happy but may produce some early wins.

KingV

Well, Trump is turning down phone calls with Taiwan so as to "not make things difficult to Xi". And turning down requests from the US Navy to sail into disputed areas of the South China Sea. What you see as results from his tough negotiating is really appeasement.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, Trump is turning down phone calls with Taiwan so as to "not make things difficult to Xi". And turning down requests from the US Navy to sail into disputed areas of the South China Sea. What you see as results from his tough negotiating is really appeasement.

What are we appeasing, exactly?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Unbelievable. What a jackass.

On topic- Didn't someone in the WH think it would be a good idea to fucking explain the relationship between NK and China, so that he didn't look like a moron in front of a preeminent world leader? Layers upon layers of ineptitude.
Well, even if someone did, I doubt Trump would have paid attention.

And even if he did pay attention, I doubt he would have understood.

And even if he understood, I doubt he would have remembered anything 5 minutes later.

And even if he remembered anything, I doubt he would have had the intelligence to connect the dots and apply that knowledge when dealing with a world leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom