• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump proposes dramatic tax cuts for companies big and small, and other tax reforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Give more money to extremely rich people, they'll give even more back to the economy, hand out jobs, and better wages. Wealth will trickle down from the heavens.

Give money to poors, they'll lose their work ethic, use their healthcare fund and foodstamps on iPhones and designer handbags, abuse crack, and become lazy n...ahem..welfare queens."

Piece of shit ideology.

Just afraid of Atlas Shruggin', fam. Can't have all these wealthy leaders, who all got their wealth from the sweat of their own brow (for real) just up and leave. We need to incentivize them to stay with more money so that they can then provide more jobs. Because that's obviously what's happened the past few times, right?

SGRX

I'm assuming eliminating the tax exemption for employer paid healthcare premiums would be on the table as well. That would potentially free up a considerable amount of money that could then be handed over to the wealthy.

Lol no way that anyone is going to vote for this "tax plan" which is essentially bullet-points of ideas. Not a real plan at all just an idea of where things are at for them. The WH wants to look like they have done something so they decided to jump in a process they have no expertise about and intentionally setting up a fight within their own party again.

The idea of the House was to have a border tax basically to help pay for the cut in taxes, but Trump's idea is basically it'll help pay for itself which many Congressmen know is bullshit. The need 60 votes for this to pass and one of Trump's idea's is to gain Dem support by introducing infrastructure spending as part of the bill, which is stupid within itself. The idea won't likely work anyway.

Tovarisc

What Hill Republicans think of Trump's tax plan: 'Not even close' to reform

Despite a positive public front, congressional Republicans are quietly voicing frustration that President Donald Trump's big tax announcement Wednesday contains all cuts and no real reform, lacking the crucial components of a way to pay for the plan as well as sufficient congressional involvement.

Administration officials say the White House wanted to take the lead on this -- rather than wait for the Hill -- to get headlines ahead of Trump's 100th day in office.

House Speaker Paul Ryan put a positive spin on things during his own news conference Wednesday, but things are far from great behind the scenes. The Trump administration has ruffled GOP feathers on Capitol Hill, by getting in the way of legislators efforts to fix the tax system.

"It's not tax reform," said one senior GOP aide. "Not even close."

On top of that, the topline principles Trump is releasing leave out the important signs of actual reform, not the least of which include: how to pay for it, what's the pathway through the House and Senate, where the key players off the Hill that have enormous lobbying clout stand on things, and more.

For some aides and lawmakers involved in the process, Trump's approach is being taken as a direct affront to Ryan and Ways and Means Chair Kevin Brady, who spent more than a year on their tax proposal with the repeatedly stated goal of "once in a generation reform."

"It's really easy to talk about big cuts," a senior GOP aide told CNN. "We're about solutions. They aren't to that point yet, either on the policy or on the personnel level, and it's both obvious and disruptive to the process."

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/26/p...form-analysis0707PMVODtopLink&linkId=36927118

GOP isn't happy.

I think McMaster is the only smart person in his administration.

Which is astonishing to me because you would figure guys like Mulvaney and Mnuchin would at least try to lessen some of their evil shit without making it so God damn flagrant. Isn't it really difficult to get a job at Goldman Sachs?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As someone who runs a medium sized business (multi million revenue, a dozen employees) tax breaks...don't help us that much? They're nice, I guess, but on the list of things we could use financial help with they're pretty far down. Honestly if they funded the USPS so it could offer better rates and more reliable service that would probably save us way more on fulfillment costs to customers than any tax cut

Americans aren't taxed enough. American businesses aren't taxed enough. Almost nobody in the country is taxed enough. Reducing taxation is insane.

I get that this country is founded on tax evasion and a deep distrust of all things government, and I get that literally nobody understands the bonkers tax regime because it's been so distorted by lobbying, but I swear, if I hear one more idiot say America's corporate tax rate is "uncompetitive," I'm going to choke them with printed-out copies of the entire goddamn tax code.

LakeEarth

Trump is going to fuck the economy, the next Democratic president will save us from the inevitable recession, people will say she/he didn't do enough, say that both sidez are the saem, and elect another Republican. /Pendulum

The "Recession -> Democratic President -> Recovery -> Republican President" loop has been going for quite a while now.

What Hill Republicans think of Trump's tax plan: 'Not even close' to reform

Despite a positive public front, congressional Republicans are quietly voicing frustration that President Donald Trump's big tax announcement Wednesday contains all cuts and no real reform, lacking the crucial components of a way to pay for the plan as well as sufficient congressional involvement.

Administration officials say the White House wanted to take the lead on this -- rather than wait for the Hill -- to get headlines ahead of Trump's 100th day in office.

House Speaker Paul Ryan put a positive spin on things during his own news conference Wednesday, but things are far from great behind the scenes. The Trump administration has ruffled GOP feathers on Capitol Hill, by getting in the way of legislators efforts to fix the tax system.

"It's not tax reform," said one senior GOP aide. "Not even close."

On top of that, the topline principles Trump is releasing leave out the important signs of actual reform, not the least of which include: how to pay for it, what's the pathway through the House and Senate, where the key players off the Hill that have enormous lobbying clout stand on things, and more.

For some aides and lawmakers involved in the process, Trump's approach is being taken as a direct affront to Ryan and Ways and Means Chair Kevin Brady, who spent more than a year on their tax proposal with the repeatedly stated goal of "once in a generation reform."

"It's really easy to talk about big cuts," a senior GOP aide told CNN. "We're about solutions. They aren't to that point yet, either on the policy or on the personnel level, and it's both obvious and disruptive to the process."

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/26/p...form-analysis0707PMVODtopLink&linkId=36927118

GOP isn't happy.

God, Paul Ryan is such a little fucking bitch.

Ithil

Touching social security would be suicide. Trump is an ass, not an idiot. Or at least he's not surrounded by idiots.

Trump is a colossal idiot, and has numerous idiots surrounding him. Not only idiots, there's some smart ones there, but a large majority of his general surroundings consists of idiots at any one time.

numble

As someone who runs a medium sized business (multi million revenue, a dozen employees) tax breaks...don't help us that much? They're nice, I guess, but on the list of things we could use financial help with they're pretty far down. Honestly if they funded the USPS so it could offer better rates and more reliable service that would probably save us way more on fulfillment costs to customers than any tax cut
Can you explain with numerical examples?
For example, if you have 10,000,000 in income and the tax rate is 35% (3,500,000 of tax) and it is reduced to 15% (1,500,000 of tax), you think you could still make up this difference at current rates with better USPS rates?

Syriel

I was looking at personal income taxes, not the corporate one. Yeah, that one is huuge.

And if you're making a lot of money as an independent worker, you can then cut your personal rate to 15% by running everything through your s-corp.

It is basically a giveaway to rich professionals.

moggio

Banned
I was listening to the Frank Zappa song Hot-Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel as I saw this. Funny how things never change.

I used to have a job
An' I was doin' fairly well
Depression came along
An' everybody start to yell
"Where'd they go, them good ol' days,
'An all that crap we used to sell?"
Now I'm in Hot-Plate Heaven,
at the Green Hotel

Republicans is fine,
If you're a multi-millionaire
Democrats is fair,
If all you own is what you wear
Neither of 'em's REALLY right,
'Cause neither of 'em CARE
'Bout that Hot-Plate Heaven,
'Cause they ain't been there

They really oughta go
'N find out how the hall-way smell -
They'd benefit to know
'Bout what the bums in there could tell
(I guess we're only dreamin',
But I s'pose it's just as well
That's ALL you get to dream
Up in the Green Hotel)

Nature didn't put me here,
An' neither did my fate -
It musta been some evil ol'
Republican candidate!
He's over there in Washington,
But I wish he was in HELL
'Cause I'm in Hot-Plate Heaven
At the Green Hotel

Things is slightly better now;
They hope we will forget
The misery of 'TRICKLE DOWN',
An' jelly-bean etiquette
The Regal Presidential Style
Has simply not worn well,
But neither has my rags,
Up in the Green Hotel

Pass me the dog food!

sonicmj1

Well apparently instead of sitting on already massive stockpiles of hard cash, big business will get even more cash but this time they won't sit on it... they promise?

An advanced economy like the states, you can't just shake the can and expect anything but explosions.

To elaborate on this, the Economist had a blog post about the dangers of messing with taxes earlier this morning. Concerning the idea that slashing corporate taxes will create an economic boom, this passage stood out to me:

The Economist said:
In theory, making it cheaper to buy new equipment—lowering the “cost of capital”—drives companies to buy more. But it almost couldn’t possibly be cheaper to make capital investments; companies’ borrowing costs have not been this low since the 1950s. Companies are even sitting on cash, declining to spend it. From 1975 to 2000, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, undistributed corporate profits were stable between $100bn and $200bn. Since then, they’ve climbed to $760bn. But companies aren’t putting this fat wad of cheap money to productive use. Investment in new equipment recovered after the recession, but has plateaued since 2014.

People who work in financial markets have known about this problem for a while. Or, rather, they’ve known that companies have been providing dividends and buying back stocks, rather than making new investments. But the news has not made it to the White House. Perhaps this will. On April 25th economists from the University of South Carolina, Indiana University and the Treasury released the first study of a decision by the state of Kansas to eliminate its tax on pass-through income altogether. They found that small businesses shifted income to avoid taxes. And they found no meaningful consequences for investment.

Corporate profits are higher than they've ever been. Companies don't lack for money to invest, if they wanted to do it. They don't.

This plan is a non-starter for the Democrats, and its sloppy accounting will piss off the deficit-hawks, so I can't see how this leads to anything but yet another instance of the administration slinking away from a legislative failure while yapping about future success.

Tovarisc

C-XOQRkVwAE-ZHm.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/857318136999292928

Maxim726X

Can this fucking guy do anything right?

How did he announce this with no support from his own party... again?

Amazing that he can't get anything accomplished with all three branches under GOP control. Truly a testament to how stupid he is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We're going full-feudalism now?

dabig2

Touching social security would be suicide. Trump is an ass, not an idiot. Or at least he's not surrounded by idiots.

Obama was 1 historically batshit Republican House away "grand bargaining" social security. Like if it weren't for the Tea Party, we'd be talking about how one of the greatest modern day Democrats made the largest cut in social security in pursuit of austerity.

Don't consider anything safe, especially if/when the economy begins to sputter and the rich start clutching their purses while telling everyone else that sacrifices have to be made.

If this passes a massive stock market bubble is going to form. If you have the means open a company that sounds awesome and swindle the idiotic, rich folks like Donald Trump out of their unearned money.

Can you explain with numerical examples?
For example, if you have 10,000,000 in income and the tax rate is 35% (3,500,000 of tax) and it is reduced to 15% (1,500,000 of tax), you think you could still make up this difference at current rates with better USPS rates?

Revenue doesn't equal profit or net income which does t equal taxable income, the person you quoted said multi million revenue. His taxable income could be 500k or less after expenses and tax differences.

Maxim726X

So this is the legendary "fiscal conservatism" I've heard so much about.

In modern terminology, it just seems to be 'fuck the poor, bolster the rich'.

Which is why I can't figure out why people still come out in droves to vote for them. Again, let them learn the hard way. I almost wish some of these awful proposals would pass so people can see that they don't actually have any real solutions to the issues this country faces.

And if you're making a lot of money as an independent worker, you can then cut your personal rate to 15% by running everything through your s-corp.

I didn't think of this. I really, really need to start my own business.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is the actual thing the GOP cares about so prepare for budget shortfalls.

Morat

Banned
He's going to bankrupt us.

Bush also ran up an insane deficient. It's amazing how right wingers everywhere have managed to claim the mantle of budgetary responsibility, while doing the exact opposite.
Same thing here in the UK.

Maxim726X

As an independent contractor who started an S-corp...

I can attest to this. Actually paid even less than 15%, when all was said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom