• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tax proposal could hike taxes for quarter of middle class, reliefs for top 1%

Somnid

The stupid part is that we don't need to be cutting taxes at all. Even a couple thousand more in my pocket is nothing versus medical bills if I didn't already have decent insurance via my job.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I mean, this is just ludicrous:
But if you look at the combined effects of the cuts and the revenue raisers, 76.3 percent of the benefits go to the top 1 percent, and 94.8 percent go to the top 5 percent. Getting rid of head of household filing status and personal exemptions are tax increases that overwhelmingly hit middle-class people and don't hurt the rich much at all, especially since the personal exemption currently phases out for rich taxpayers.

The whole child care tax exemption is garbage for parents who provide their own child care.

BUTBUTBUT GUYS

If the rich have less taxes...They'll make more money...and can spend it on payroll!

I love how the idea of trickle-down economics is based on a thought that would never, ever, ever happen.

npm0925

America's such a shithole. The middle class already subsidize the 1% by sacrificing basic human rights such as maternity leave, healthcare, and education.

McLovin

Its hard to fathom ever being that entitled at anything in life. Its not like they need the money for anything meaningful :/

TyrantII

I mean, this is just ludicrous:

The whole child care tax exemption is garbage for parents who provide their own child care.

Ehh, it's an incentive to allow women to stay in the workforce instead of childrearing. But I do wonder how effective it is.

All I ever hear is people saying childcare isn't worth it since such a big chunk of the mothers income just goes to paying it.

Family wise I get it, but it's a terrible economic argument that feels like they're trying to justify. Between the credit and the income after you don't need childcare anymore you come out waaaaay ahead.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
people-noticed-that-trump-basically-quoted-bane-in-his-inauguration-speech.jpg

You brought this shit on yourself US. Electing a millionaire megalomaniac under the guise that he's for the people. A man who's never worked a second in his life. A man who shits on a golden bowl. If you trust him to act in your best interest, you're naive, dumb and gullible.

Fucking trash. Ugh. I wish Fox News and Breitbart didn't exist so that all the poor Trump supporting idiots that will be affected by this would actually know about it and have to come to grips with it.

PopeReal

people-noticed-that-trump-basically-quoted-bane-in-his-inauguration-speech.jpg

You brought this shit on yourself US. Electing a millionaire megalomaniac under the guise that he's for the people. A man who's never worked a second in his life. A man who shits on a golden bowl. If you trust him to act in your best interest, you're naive, dumb and gullible.

You just described millions of Americans.

Also they are racist as fuck.

jelly

Fucking trash. Ugh. I wish Fox News and Breitbart didn't exist so that all the poor Trump supporting idiots that will be affected by this would actually know about it and have to come to grips with it.

They probably do know but are so racist and religious it's worth the pain in their minds.

daveo42

Banned
Cannot wait for those at the top to start creating all them jobs those at the bottom have been hearing about for 40 years! It's gonna happen this time guys, I can feel it!

I'm not sure even normal Republicans would try to pass this.

They'd normally like give the middle class a $1000 cut to help hide lining their own pockets instead of raising taxes on them.

But why would they even bother to hide what they're doing anymore? Too many in the party have shown clearly that they'll vote (R) no matter what.

This tax plan has been known about since the election.

Anybody who spent five minutes crunching the numbers would have realized that Trump has no business anywhere near public office.

But...you know...#MAGA and all that.

Windam

Scaley member
The 1% worked harder than the other 99% so they've earned this. Maybe one day I'll decide to pull my bootstraps up.

jk can't afford shoes

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ehh, it's an incentive to allow women to stay in the workforce instead of childrearing. But I do wonder how effective it is.

All I ever hear is people saying childcare isn't worth it since such a big chunk of the mothers income just goes to paying it.

Family wise I get it, but it's a terrible economic argument that feels like they're trying to justify. Between the credit and the income after you don't need childcare anymore you come out waaaaay ahead.

No, you misunderstand--the tax cut is great for people who pay for child care.

Those who provide their own child care are absolutely screwed. It's a huge increase.

Plinko

boo.

that is all I have to say >.<:

Seriously--this is a disaster for families in that range. Most Americans can't put money away at the end of every month, and this is an extra $83 in addition to that.

Balphon

Taxing S Corps and LLCs at the cap gains rate is such a blatant handout to the wealthy it's galling even by Republican standards.

zulux21

Seriously--this is a disaster for families in that range. Most Americans can't put money away at the end of every month, and this is an extra $83 in addition to that.

I mean I can likely afford it without a huge amount of problems, and I do manage to put away money. but I am also still trying to get out from underneath a mound of student loan debt.

That 1k would be a small chunk of one of my loans, and would likely set me back another year to getting free.

I would like to get a house some day, but can't (well more so won't) until I clear my student debt, which currently likely isn't happening for 5 years or so.

As a pizza delivery driver, I make less than $25,000 a year. With the removal of deductions & write-offs, I'd no longer be able to claim mileage on my tax returns.

I don't get a $40 tax cut, I get a $560 tax increase.

What a fucking joke.

Ithil

The stupid part is that we don't need to be cutting taxes at all. Even a couple thousand more in my pocket is nothing versus medical bills if I didn't already have decent insurance via my job.

Americans are obsessed with taxes. Not really the paying of money for things, just the idea of "taxes". As usual, the blame lies primarily with Republicans and right wing media, who vilified the concept of taxes daily for decades and decades.

These sorts of people would rather pay the exact same amount yearly in other expenses, rather than pay it in designated "taxes".

Cool can't wait to hear my dad explain how this will benefit me

Trickle down, if you unleash the job creating beast your wages will go up or something like that.

Yeah right. The republican party has been about this forever and people still vote for it anyways.

Of course they do, they want to keep minorities in their place, they like guns, want to criminalize abortion, get rid of immigrants, etc. So long as the right keeps those going anything and everything else is fine.

Damaniel

Banned
As a pizza delivery driver, I make less than $25,000 a year. With the removal of deductions & write-offs, I'd no longer be able to claim mileage on my tax returns.

I don't get a $40 tax cut, I get a $560 tax increase.

What a fucking joke.

Just pull your bootstraps harder, ya lazy bum! Your wealthy betters wouldn't whine like that! (/s, obviously)

Republicans truly are the party of evil.

No longer be able to claim a break for each member of the household?

As in, kids?

I voted squarely against Trump, and it looks like, if this goes through, I'll be paying potential thousands more.

Top Bottom