• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Reportedly Rejects Phone Security Measures As ‘Too Inconvenient’

JDB

Banned
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-phone-security_us_5b03ca69e4b0463cdba5774c

"President Donald Trump uses a cellphone not equipped with top security features and has rejected repeated attempts by his staff to harden his devices against hackers, Politico reported on Monday.

Trump regularly uses at least two government-issued iPhones — one a “burner” device capable only of making calls, and another that’s loaded with a Twitter app and “a handful of news sites,” according to Politico, which said former government security experts criticized the president’s phone practices."

"Trump’s call-only phone has a camera and microphone — features that can be exploited by hackers, Politico reported, citing two senior administration officials as sources. As for the phone Trump uses for Twitter, the president reportedly has rebuffed his staff’s advice to swap the device every month, saying it would be “too inconvenient.” "

"The White House declined to comment for the Politico story. A senior West Wing official told the outlet that the call-only phones “are seamlessly swapped out on a regular basis through routine support operations. Because of the security controls of the Twitter phone and the Twitter account, it does not necessitate regular change-out.” "

"Monday’s report is the second in recent weeks to raise questions about security surrounding Trump’s cellphones.

CNN reported in April that Trump increasingly relied on his personal cellphone to make calls. Security experts expressed concern that the president was exposing himself to security risks, including hacking and eavesdropping by foreign governments. "

Also a little backstory on previous Presidents' struggles with phone security from the Politico article:

"Trump is not the first president to struggle with the relative isolation of the Oval Office and cling to his cellphone as a way to stay connected with friends and family outside of Washington. Three days before his inauguration in 2001, George W. Bush sent a wistful message to friends announcing that he would no longer use email. “Since I do not want my private conversations looked at by those out to embarrass, the only course of action is not to correspond in cyberspace. This saddens me,” he wrote them.

Eight years later, Obama begged advisers to find a way for him to keep his beloved BlackBerry after his election and said publicly he used the phone as a way to reach beyond the Washington bubble.

A notorious text and email junkie who was frequently spotted on the campaign trail with headphones plugged in his ears listening to music streaming from his phone, Obama tasked his transition team with developing a phone that complied with the White House’s stringent electronic security guidelines. “I’m still clinging to my BlackBerry,” he told CNBC in January 2009, days before his inauguration.

The Obama transition team produced a military-grade phone without a microphone, camera, or location tracker that could not make or receive calls."

Papa

Banned
There we go again using Huffington Post as a source. I have never seen a more biased news outlet, not even Fox.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don’t even really know how you get around this. A modern president will always be required to be completely hamstrung from a communication perspective, whether that’s just for personal use (communicating with loved ones, participating on social media) or official business.

There are too many laws in place around transparency and too many potential security threats in any modern mobile device to ever really be sure it’s safe.

The Obama era “dumb phone” listed above sounds like as good a compromise as possible.

I’d loathe being so cut off from everyday modern conveniences, but I’m also not the lobbying to be most powerful person alive.

I’m honestly surprised the president gets as much leeway as they do on this subject. At least Obama sounds like he asked them if they could do better and they tried, instead of just demanding that he’s able to breach security protocols or weaken them.

We’re only a president or two away from a complete device hack and leak if they don’t get a handle on this.

JDB

Banned
There we go again using Huffington Post as a source. I have never seen a more biased news outlet, not even Fox.
Feel free to point out anything specific. The original article from Politico is also linked. I personally found their headline a bit much.

Are we really going back to the first page filled with only Trump crap?

1521625694947.png

Cato

Banned
Well, when hillary was "lax" with security then it was a major issue.
When trump is "lax" it is just harmless because inconvenience.

And no one from the crazy left or crazy right see the hypocrisy.

You mean when 'sources' tell HuffPo that Trump is lax.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

Because with Trump there hasn’t been a security breach yet and it’s hearsay at the moment anyway.

BANGS

Banned
Can we make it a bannable offense to create topics around obviously biased and ridiculous articles like this? This is neogaf, not fucking tumblr...

JDB

Banned
Can we make it a bannable offense to create topics around obviously biased and ridiculous articles like this? This is neogaf, not fucking tumblr...
Nothing stopping you from pressing that report button if you feel this thread breaks any rules.
Also feel free to point out what is ridiculous about this (and Politico's) article. A lot of people in this thread are complaining about the website(s) and article(s) but haven't pointed out anything specific which is a bit frustrating.

BANGS

Banned
Nothing stopping you from pressing that report button if you feel this thread breaks any rules.
It's not breaking any rules, I'm calling for a rule to be made against it.

Also feel free to point out what is ridiculous about this (and Politico's) article. A lot of people in this thread are complaining about the website(s) and article(s) but haven't pointed out anything specific which is a bit frustrating.
The fact that they cite "sources" like some Enquirer article just to fabricate material...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

There is a reason why they are complaining about the website and not the content.

gohepcat

Banned
Don't worry, both the content and the website are pure garbage...

How can you listen to that fucking idiot and think "yes....this is a guy that takes security over convenience seriously"
No I don't trust HuffPo, but I 100% believe this. I believe almost everything that's leaking out about this guy because I've heard him speak for 30 years. Have you not?

How can you listen to that fucking idiot and think "yes....this is a guy that takes security over convenience seriously"
No I don't trust HuffPo, but I 100% believe this. I believe almost everything that's leaking out about this guy because I've heard him speak for 30 years. Have you not?
How someone speaks isn't a sign of intelligence imo. Trump speaks like a regular guy, none of this pretentious bourgousie liberal college talk like Obama and Shillary. That's why we love him so much. He's not a politician, so he's more relatable at the end of the day. You really think that Donald Trump is an idiot? Tell me how someone who is stupid could become a billionaire all by himself, and then outsmart proffessional politicans to become the most powerful man in the world? And all of his 60+ million supporters are idiots too right? And the GOP is made up of all idiots? Fat chance, at least Trump wasn't stupid enough to get caught using illegal emails like Hillary.

BANGS

Banned
I believe almost everything that's leaking out about this guy
Then you're just part of the problem. Now don't get me wrong, I totally could see this story having some level of truth to it, but blindly believing all the nonsense that Trump gets spit at him would make me just as stupid as the people spitting at him...

gohepcat

Banned
How someone speaks isn't a sign of intelligence imo. Trump speaks like a regular guy, none of this pretentious bourgousie liberal college talk like Obama and Shillary. That's why we love him so much. He's not a politician, so he's more relatable at the end of the day. You really think that Donald Trump is an idiot? Tell me how someone who is stupid could become a billionaire all by himself, and then outsmart proffessional politicans to become the most powerful man in the world? And all of his 60+ million supporters are idiots too right? And the GOP is made up of all idiots? Fat chance, at least Trump wasn't stupid enough to get caught using illegal emails like Hillary.

Weird. I try to pick leaders who are smarter than I am. Ones that understand nuance and deep knowledge of foreign policy. Ones who understand the gravity of the position.

He sounds like a sign language chimp with a brain injury.

Weird. I try to pick leaders who are smarter than I am. Ones that understand nuance and deep knowledge of foreign policy. Ones who understand the gravity of the position.

This would discount a lot of presidents (it might even regard most US presidents). Generally presidents rely on people that are indeed smarter than them, that presents them the knowledge they'll have to act on. Having knowledge helps you not become over dependent on your advisors, but it can also produce additional noise or make you lean towards one type of action depending on your inclinations in international relations approach. On the other hand, the dependency on advisors can also have its obvious advantages, including balancing the president out and just further make us understand that the system is indeed greater than a single person.
Otherwise we'd have to go for people with doctorates in political science and knowledge of psychology and management. Perhaps speaking a few key languages for strategic purposes. But then we're closing in on a meritocracy.

He sounds like a sign language chimp with a brain injury.

Like one term senators with a background in community activism.

gohepcat

Banned
Then you're just part of the problem. Now don't get me wrong, I totally could see this story having some level of truth to it, but blindly believing all the nonsense that Trump gets spit at him would make me just as stupid as the people spitting at him...

There is plenty of crazy shit said about Trump that I don't believe, but he's obviously a fucking buffoon, so yea....after Frontline and PBS, and NYT, and WSJ, and the AP and all the other news sources with hundreds of years of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism print unfucking believable stories that end up being true. I tend to believe most of the things that fall under the category of “Things that a petulant man child with a fragile ego would do”

There is plenty of crazy shit said about Trump that I don't believe, but he's obviously a fucking buffoon, so yea....after Frontline and PBS, and NYT, and WSJ, and the AP and all the other news sources with hundreds of years of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism print unfucking believable stories that end up being true. I tend to believe most of the things that fall under the category of “Things that a petulant man child with a fragile ego would do”
BANGS is right, you are part of the problem. If it doesn't specifically name the source of the news, and if it isn't Fox or The White House, I don't trust it. The Clinton News Network is the worst of course, but all the other MSM is just out to get Trump for better ratings and to further the liberal deep state agenda. I mean, what's more likely? Trump is an idiot and Fox News and the White House are liars? Or every other MSM channel and website are a bunch of phony liars with a biased liberal agenda and there's a vast network of co-conspirators working under orders from Barack Hussein Obama to get Donald Trump out of office? I think it's obvious, wake up.

Last edited:
Again fellows anonymous source was a thing long before Trump and will remain si long after him, look I understand when your guy is the one being targeted your first instinct is to deny, but news reporting has worked like this for sometime now so no need to act suddenly surprised that this is happening

NickFire

Spying on Trump would be a tremendous waste of any other country's money. By the time your hack digs up something good, he will already have tweeted it or someone would have leaked it any way.

gohepcat

Banned
BANGS is right, you are part of the problem. If it doesn't specifically name the source of the news, and if it isn't Fox or The White House, I don't trust it. The Clinton News Network is the worst of course, but all the other MSM is just out to get Trump for better ratings and to further the liberal deep state agenda. I mean, what's more likely? Trump is an idiot and Fox News and the White House are liars? Or every other MSM channel and website are a bunch of phony liars with a biased liberal agenda and there's a vast network of co-conspirators working under orders from Barack Hussein Obama to get Donald Trump out of office? I think it's obvious, wake up.

You had me there for quite a while.

You are a master.

Papa

Banned

Too obvious, bro. You’re slipping.

Papa

Banned
Again fellows anonymous source was a thing long before Trump and will remain si long after him, look I understand when your guy is the one being targeted your first instinct is to deny, but news reporting has worked like this for sometime now so no need to act suddenly surprised that this is happening

Whole lotta deepthroating going on in the world right now.

I look forward to returning to this after all of the current investigations shake out.

Top Bottom