• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he will 'most likely' not take part in Fox debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Update:
Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski confirmed to The Washington Post Tuesday that Trump would "definitely not" participate in Thursday's Fox News debate.

“He’s definitely not participating in the Fox News debate," Lewandowski said. "His word is his bond."

He said Trump would remain in Iowa as planned and would instead host a event in the state to raise money for wounded warriors and other veterans groups.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cipate-in-fox-debate-campaign-says/?tid=sm_tw

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Most likely I’m not gonna do the debate,” Trump said during a press conference in Iowa. “I don't know what games Roger Ailes is playing.”

Trump, who was speaking to reporters in Marshalltown before a rally, said that he may have a separate event to raise funds for wounded warriors instead.

Background:
Trump's pronouncement came after he released a Twitter poll questioning whether he should attend the debate this week, which elicited thousands of responses — including one from Fox News.

“Megyn Kelly’s really biased against me,” Trump says in an Instagram video posted Tuesday. “She knows that. I know that. Everybody knows that. Do you really think that she can be fair at a debate?”

Trump’s Instagram post has more than 4,000 comments, and the Twitter poll has more than 28,000 votes. But Fox News offered its own retort outside of social media.

“We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings,” a Fox News spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.
“I think she’s not a professional. I don’t think she’s a very talented person,” he said about Megyn Kelly. “I don’t think she is a good reporter. I think they could do a lot better than that. I love doing the debates. You know, I just do think they should get competent reporters. They shouldn’t use somebody like her. She’s not very good. She’s not very good at what she does, I will tell you that.”

Trump said Kelly treated him unfairly during the first debate in August and has blasted her on multiple occasions via Twitter.

“Sooner or later Donald Trump, even if he's president, is going to have to learn that he doesn't get to pick the journalists — we're very surprised he's willing to show that much fear about being questioned by Megyn Kelly,” a Fox News representative said in a statement Monday night.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/donald-trump-megyn-kelly-fox-news-debate-218250

Snaku

Banned
Please please please buy time on another channel and run counter programming. Tank their ratings, Don!

I stand by my opinion that regardless of any of his other numerous flaws, no one should allow this man to be in a position where he can meet with the leaders of other countries. The entire world will declare war with us out of sheer indignancy.

OP buried the lede. This response is amazing:

“We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings,” a Fox News spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

They'll probably spend so much time hammering Trump for not showing up that it'll be like he was there anyway. I'm assuming this move will only strengthen him in the eyes of his supporters and make him look like a man of principle.

They'll probably spend so much time hammering Trump for not showing up that it'll be like he was there anyway. I'm assuming this move will only strengthen him in the eyes of his supporters and make him look like a man of principle.

Ultra antiestablishment. It's like a suit of gold.

Kusagari

The hilarious thing is Fox can't win here.

They can either look like little bitches and beg Trump to come, making him look like a boss. Or they can stand their ground, lose ratings and make Trump look like a boss for shutting out the establishment news channel.

Either way Trump wins.

rjinaz

He's incredibly entertaining and will skip if he doesn't show up.

There will still be plenty of entertainment to be had. I can already imagine the "coward" attacks by the other candidates on stage and Trump having a meltdown on Twitter about them not saying it to his face.

antonz

Hannity practically Fellates Trump every day. Megyn Kelly refuses to drop down to Hannity's level so is "mean and unfair"

Trump is the biggest pussy

Kettch

I don't know if he actually will show up. That plan to have an event for wounded warriors sounds like it would play great with Republican voters. Trump gets to be the victim and the hero fighting for other victims while his opponents play politics. That could be the better move.

FStubbs

To be fair, you know, I know, Trump knows, Roger Ailes knows, we all know that a Trump debate on FOX will be 2 hours of ambushes, gotchas, cut mics, and other nonsense.

He'd have a better shot debating on BET.

billeh

Hannity practically Fellates Trump every day. Megyn Kelly refuses to drop down to Hannity's level so is "mean and unfair"

Trump is the biggest pussy
Is it even humanly possible to go full Hannity? He's AM radio insane.

Kelly still sucks, though.

Nipo

Not watching if he isn't in it. I'll totally watch if he does a two hour townhall at the exact same time in competition.

Kusagari

Really though, I hope Trump does show up. If he doesn't, Cruz can lord over the other losers and possibly gain some momentum right before Iowa.

120v

normally I'd say this is dumb. Just do the damn debates, you're in the lead after do many, why fuck it up. but his post debate polls usually slip so doing this so soon before Iowa may be pretty clever

Nipo

Also it would be awesome if fox says fine and leaves an empty podium on stage and announces at the start Trump is free to join whenever he wishes.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Wait...

WAIT.

Donald Trump says he's gonna kick ISIS's ass and will command "fire", but he's afraid of Megyn Kelly?

The fuck?

Why should Trump give Fox News ratings and more money? The republicans have had a laughable amount of debates and they keep inviting non contenders. This next Fox News debate is a joke.

Trump is smart to attack Fox News. They need him not the over way around.

I have to agree with Trump. Kelly is not a very good reporter. Even if you look at her through her own bias lens.

I taste bile in my mouth when I type these words.

Into

And now you aint watching it

And Fox aint getting its ratings

And the man looks completely in control, which is what he wants to present to the public. He runs this shit. He is the boss.

Makai

Bad news, gang

Trump camp manager @CLewandowski_ confirms to WaPo that Trump is “definitely not” participating in Fox New debate. “His word is his bond."

RPGCrazied

Yes he will. He is a liar. He tried this with CNN and was front in center of the debate.

If he doesn't show, then I'd say good. Time for this man to leave the race anyway.

Won't miss him.

Yes he will. He is a liar. He tried this with CNN and was front in center of the debate.

If he doesn't show, then I'd say good. Time for this man to leave the race anyway.

Won't miss him.

You didn't see him during the press conference. He was angry, this wasn't a whim consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom