• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he will 'most likely' not take part in Fox debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Republican race is just so much more damn interesting than the Democratic snore fest. You just never know what the next day will bring.

Downhome

Just saw this on Fox News also. This is...well, it's just about over I'll say that, haha...

vnAGh03.jpg

watershed

Banned
I think he is trying to preserve his lead by not giving his opponents any last-minute attempts to hit him live on stage. I wonder if this will work though. In his absence voters might start giving other candidates a second look.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Hes not an idiot, by any measure. He knows his demographic, and is playing the shit out of them every minute. I won't say hes smart, as anyone could pander to morons. Its a smart way of winning the seat of president.

I'll leave it at that.
I say this a lot, but I'm still not sure if he actually believes in any of the ridiculous policies or views he spouts. If he actually believes he can help the country then he's an idiot, but there's a big chance that he's just saying whatever will get him the most publicity, and maybe even get him elected president. I want to hate him because of his views, but part of me respects him because he's a masterfully calculated asshole.

ICKE

Banned
This could be a very smart move politically. In this election cycle the electorate - especially republican voters - hate the mainstream media.

Hell, if he gets the nomination he might just inform everyone that he will not participate in the presidential debates but instead makes his own competitive show or some such.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He can make this big if he makes it a really big event and catch a lot of attention. For example, he could say he'll announce his VP pick at that event. Usually you wait to win the candidacy, but depending on who it might be he could do it ahead of time, unless someone can tell me why that would be impossible.

Or he just announces it's going to be a big show, with singers and whatever. He'd make it sound like it's going to be a circus and people will tune in just to see what happens.

Whatever the case, all he has to do is make people think something will happen during his event that would be broadcast at the same time.

Downhome

He can make this big if he makes it a really big event and catch a lot of attention. For example, he could say he'll announce his VP pick at that event. Usually you wait to win the candidacy, but depending on who it might be he could do it ahead of time, unless someone can tell me why that would be impossible.

Or he just announces it's going to be a big show, with singers and whatever. He'd make it sound like it's going to be a circus and people will tune in just to see what happens.

Whatever the case, all he has to do is make people think something will happen during his event that would be broadcast at the same time.

A big name endorsement could do it also.

OuterLimits

Fox had the upper hand until their press release(it was funny though) which kind of proved his point that they can't be trusted to run a fair debate. Well and Megyn usually devotes her show to bashing Trump. He was going to do the debate until Fox did the press release.

Even some commentators on rival news channels are questioning what the hell Fox was thinking when they did that.

commedieu

Banned
I say this a lot, but I'm still not sure if he actually believes in any of the ridiculous policies or views he spouts. If he actually believes he can help the country then he's an idiot, but there's a big chance that he's just saying whatever will get him the most publicity, and maybe even get him elected president. I want to hate him because of his views, but part of me respects him because he's a masterfully calculated asshole.

hes a entertainer man. He knows full well what hes doing. I doubt hes as much of a nutter as he portrays, I mean hes worked with a lot of people. Before TrumpTopia 2016, he had a pretty low profile for being a bigot/racist/sexist/etc..etc..

He could do a good job as president, as I believe he is sane. Good job defined by -- being lobbied/doing whatever for the wealthy and ignoring the poor while thorwing us into mindless wars, and bailing out bankers -- Which is status quo here. On those terms, I don't see how trump could be worse than any other candidate. He will have advisers.. and congress/house of reps to wade though. The man isn't going to build a wall, or ban muslims, or women, or whatever else. Just all talk, but its being digested very well by the GOP.

Masterfully calculated asshole, 100%. Definitely saying whatever to win, but its fucking working. The GOP created this problem. They stirred up the crazy pulse of america, but they couldn't out crazy trump as they have to pretend theyre something else. Trump doesn't have to pretend jack shit. Which is why hes the Teflon man. He has nothing to loose, as he is setting the rules for his followers.

Downhome

What the hell. I saw the Fox statement posted her and thought the poster here made it up for laughs to mock it. That was their REAL statement? I would refuse to go to the debate too that is the case. Good lord.

params7

Banned
What the hell. I saw the Fox statement posted her and thought the poster here made it up for laughs to mock it. That was their REAL statement? I would refuse to go to the debate too that is the case. Good lord.

Can you post what the Fox Statement was?

I didn't think it was possible for Donald Trump to get even more exposure! what an operator!

He is generating a media storm by not attending the debate. The FRONTRUNNER is not going to attend, but hold his own event.
Where he will have 100% talktime and will likely be dropping bombs on the others.
The people who don't watch his event will more than likely have to listen to questions about him at the Fox debate.

Cruz and Jeb and Rubio will have their best people creating anti-Trump messages that they will try to land, since there will be a lot more oxygen in the room.
But they may not have the viewers :)

OuterLimits

Exactly. Not sure how Fox can defend that. I did think it was funny, but it proved his Damn point.

Makes perfect sense. He has the endorsement of Palin and Falwell, and things are clearly going his way in Iowa. Another crowded debate governed by a hostile new organization would be a pointless exercise. An individual event that speaks to the sensibilities of Iowa caucus-goers would better solidify his gains.

OuterLimits

Makes perfect sense. He has the endorsement of Palin and Falwell, and things are clearly going his way in Iowa. Another crowded debate governed by a hostile new organization would be a pointless exercise. An individual event that speaks to the sensibilities of Iowa caucus-goers would better solidify his gains.

It could hurt him or help him. I thought it would definitely hurt him until I read the Fox press release. Kind of hard to argue you will hold a "fair and balanced debate" after you openly attack a candidate.

Grover

Banned
fox was out to get him in the first debate, so sitting out would probably help him more than hurt him, i dunno though, it is the last debate before iowa

Downhome

Can you post what the Fox Statement was?

Yep...

“We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings,” a Fox News spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

It could hurt him or help him. I thought it would definitely hurt him until I read the Fox press release. Kind of hard to argue you will hold a "fair and balanced debate" after you openly attack a candidate.

And it fuels Trumps 'anti-establishment' position. Gives him easy ammunition to use against Fox and to bolster himself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mr. Trump. You are awesome. Can you explain to us how awesome you are?

Endorsed by the sheriff no less.

I like that Trump called Glenn Beck "a total nutjob" though. I guess Beck attacked Trump.

So is Trump asking for demands or just playing hardball with Fox? Like is this just his "fuck you" to them?

Probably a mix of both. By saying he won't participate, he might be hoping Fox dumps Megyn Kelly in which case he'll participate. But it seems to be him flexing his muscles, so to speak, to show Fox and people that he has influence.

Pryce

I feel like this would give Cruz back the momentum; especially if he himself did well with an absent Trump.

Probably a mix of both. By saying he won't participate, he might be hoping Fox dumps Megyn Kelly in which case he'll participate. But it seems to be him flexing his muscles, so to speak, to show Fox and people that he has influence.

He is bending Fox over his knee, I'm sure he is going to mention how they sold expensive advertising because of potential high ratings... now.. possible lower ratings.

The next few days are going to be incredible.

Fatalah

Trump is refreshed. Love this reaction. Man, I miss Jon Stewart, he would love Trump for laying the smack down on FOX!

I would never vote Trump, but I don't blame him. Not one bit. The questions Fox "moderators" asked before were just hit jobs aimed at Trump. Debates are meant to challenge candidates, but not be an all-on-one beatdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom