• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he will 'most likely' not take part in Fox debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude is demonstrating his negotiating chops right on front of everyone. He has leverage and he knows it and is using it to get what he wants when he could have done nothing and just show uo without saying anything. So when he claims he would be a tough negotiator well hes demonstrating it and proving it against fox.

Kettch

Yes he will. He is a liar. He tried this with CNN and was front in center of the debate.

If he doesn't show, then I'd say good. Time for this man to leave the race anyway.

Won't miss him.

He can very easily spin this in his favor, if he does it right.

Trump, who was speaking to reporters in Marshalltown before a rally, said that he may have a separate event to raise funds for wounded warriors instead.

RPGCrazied

He can very easily spin this in his favor, if he does it right.

Fox News will probably end up caving and just get someone else to take over for Megan. I don't like Fox News, but he was very rude to her anyway. Saying she was bleeding out her everywhere.

Dude is demonstrating his negotiating chops right on front of everyone. He has leverage and he knows it and is using it to get what he wants when he could have done nothing and just show uo without saying anything. So when he claims he would be a tough negotiator well hes demonstrating it and proving it against fox.

Art of the Deal

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Man in that first debate I remember Kelly went for the jugular right away. I don't know how Trump survived that lol.

ivysaur12

Banned

And I'm pretty sure Trump has the upper hand here.

params7

Banned
Art of the Deal

jFq0CwG.png

If the media keeps getting played, Trump is simply going to negotiate his way to the white house.

Calabria

Banned
Trump is a smart bastard. He knows he controls the GOP race. He came out on top from the last debate, his rating at all time high, why would he risk it now if the moderator is so against him

Arkeband

Banned
This is a risky move. Trump's ratings depend on constant 24/7 media exposure. Not being at the debate means that the other candidates will get more limelight. I'm sure his Twitter feed will be ripe with choice quotes.

And then his triumphant return to the stage next debate will boost him in the polls even more.

jFq0CwG.png

If the media keeps getting played, Trump is simply going to negotiate his way to the white house.

Yep. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Incidentally, I've started mentally reading Trump quotes in his voice lol. He's got a very characteristic style.

Damn I wish I'd put some money on him winning Iowa months ago.

Aikidoka

I missed how this feud started. On paper, Trump and FOX look like they would be the best of friends. Is it because fox is in the GOP's pocket or something?

Hasn't Kelly repeatedly and ruthlessly gone after Trump on her show? Including one episode last week after the National Review piece came out? To do that and go moderate a debate starring the guy is, in all seriousness, sorta unprofessional. Right after she went after him at the first FOX debate, he set up a narrative of her hounding him. It's just gotten stronger.

I agree with Trump. Eew. Not in his many, many needlessly personally insulting words to Kelly, but in principle of what he's after in terms of his normal "the media is out to get me shtick", because in this case the media is actually out to get him. A bit.

He's been warning FOX about this for ages now. Did they really have to be this stubborn on moderators? I'm not sure if trying to stand by Megan Kelly for 1 primaries debate is worth this kind of shitstorm.

This helps cement the Iowa win, too. Personal opinion, at least. If he's not on stage again before voting starts there are no more opportunities to try to tank him. Of course none of the previous opportunities to tank him have worked (and largely backfired), but it's a safe play here.
Megyn Kelly asked him a tough question in the first debate. Seriously, that's it.
Are you sure?

commedieu

Banned
This is a risky move. Trump's ratings depend on constant 24/7 media exposure. Not being at the debate means that the other candidates will get more limelight. I'm sure his Twitter feed will be ripe with choice quotes.

And then his triumphant return to the stage next debate will boost him in the polls even more.

He'll make more coverage not being there, just takes a few tweets, and fox will take the hit to viewership. As usual with camp Trump,

its a win win.

Its not like any "tough questions." would stick. The dude is based in fiction, and his voters support anything he says.

Kusagari

Megyn Kelly asked him a tough question in the first debate. Seriously, that's it.

It's funny because most of the other questions they asked him were legitimately a joke. The pledge was such contrived tripe to try to make Trump look bad.

But instead the legit women question is what continues to get brought up by Trump and his supporters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cracks me up. Trump can't take on Megyn Kelly, but he'll make every other country in the world kowtow to the US.

Sure, buddy. Sure.

Glass Joe

What's really happening is Trump sees no benefit of showing up to the debate when he has a greater chance of losing ground. What happens if someone has an effective attack that he can't defend? He knows everyone's going to be gunning for him, so why risk it? Play up that Kelly thing and do a thing for veterans.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cracks me up. Trump can't take on Megyn Kelly, but he'll make every other country in the world kowtow to the US.

Sure, buddy. Sure.

This is the tactic though. He's holding all the chips so either they comply or the ratings suffer. Its sinister shit, but it works. You want access to the Donald you play by his rules. Its what dictators do.

Calabria

Banned
the sexual tension between them is up thru the roof, if it's under different situation, Trump would have her in bed in 10 seconds

LCGeek

formerly sane
“I think she’s not a professional. I don’t think she’s a very talented person,” he said about Megyn Kelly. “I don’t think she is a good reporter. I think they could do a lot better than that. I love doing the debates. You know, I just do think they should get competent reporters. They shouldn’t use somebody like her. She’s not very good. She’s not very good at what she does, I will tell you that.”

The only reason people don't call her a shill on the right is because she is saying what they want.

...yes? He asked how the feud started. That's how it started.
Right. Apologies. It has escalated substantially since. I seriously doubt her piece last week was the turning point for Trump. He's been saying this stuff for months.

The fact that FOX News, the modern masters of media manipulation and propaganda in this era, to have lost complete control over their own primary process, is endless schadenfreude fodder. It's soooo much fun.
the sexual tension between them is up thru the roof, if it's under different situation, Trump would have her in bed in 10 seconds
lol

commedieu

Banned
He's the smartest idiot out there, that's for sure.

Hes not an idiot, by any measure. He knows his demographic, and is playing the shit out of them every minute. I won't say hes smart, as anyone could pander to morons. Its a smart way of winning the seat of president.

I'll leave it at that.

New002

The story is going to how Trump isn't at the debate.

OuterLimits

Fox News were idiots for releasing that press statement. It gives him tons of ammunition against them. Not sure WTF Fox was thinking there.

Downhome

I got an alert from Politico stating that he not only wont be at the debate, but plans are now in the works for a "competing event".

This is BONKERS, and I love it, lol.

I believe he also has a rally at 8pm tonight so I bet he talks about this there.

Into

Asking a man who is married, has a daughter who is a success of her own, and employs tons of women in all sorts of positions whether he is waging a "war on women" is seriously stupid. Not to mention that the comment and "beef" he had with Rosie O Donnell stems from Trump wanting to help a woman who had substance abuse problems. No wonder it blew in Kelly's face when he knocked that fucker out of the ball park.

He should have just asked Kelly, to go to his children, during that very debate and tell them that their dad hates women. Go ahead. Put her on the spot right there, point to where his kids are sitting and tell her to do it. If she believes what she is saying, then tell them that to their faces.

Its so easy. The media is completely inept. Thats not all Trumps doing. That is also their own doing. They are beyond a parody at this point. He is just reaping the rewards.

I still think he will be there, and is just fucking with them. Because why not, i bet he enjoys the attention and power. This is a easy way to keep himself in the news, until the next big catastrophe or comment or whatever.

params7

Banned
I got an alert from Politico stating that he not only wont be at the debate, but plans are now in the works for a "competing event".

This is BONKERS, and I love it, lol.

I believe he also has a rally at 8pm tonight so I bet he talks about this there.

o2X1zOn.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't really see the up side for him participating. He already forced his way into the #1 spot, according to establishment Republicans. He was never going to truly win over the heart of those people. And his numbers go down after the debates. He doesn't like studying, goes off the cuff, and has a limited knowledge of actual policy. Can't really blame him for taking an out if he sees one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom