• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Says He'll Show Off The US Military In Parades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Doesn't this already kind of happen but in a limited fashion?
To a degree, yeah.
Some military bases do open days to the public, you can see war planes flying by, you can get on a navy ship, you can take a selfie with a tank. Wait, I'm not 100% sure the Army does it, I think it does, but I'm not sure. I know the Navy and the Air Force do (they usually frame it as being a museum, but whatever, it's the same deal in its core) .
Also, if your team makes the playoffs, you can see some of that defense budget flying over your head. In some places, they do it on 4th of July too.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, yeah, it's not cheap and yeah, I don't like militarism in general. But fighter jets are cool, man.

A parade sounds stupid, like, if we ever get our soldiers back from Afghanistan I'm more than fine with throwing a parade for that, and I think doing one for the 70th anniversary of winning WWII would've been fine too. But I don't like the idea of making it a routine thing. And while I understand why people find it uncomfortable when coming from someone like Trump, I don't really think that moves us any closer to a Nazi style rule in the US.

He should start with the Super Bowl. I always thought that fighter jets flying over the stadium while the Star-Spangled Banner is being performed is a bit too low-key.

StayDead

He should start with the Super Bowl. I always thought that fighter jets flying over the stadium while the Star-Spangled Banner is being performed is a bit too low-key.

I still love how the winners of the super bowl are the world champions. There isn't any non American teams that compete right?

SoulUnison

Banned
military_times_overall_poll_results_10_19_16.jpg

I like the implication that the further up the chain of command they are and the greater amount of the big picture they can see and comprehend the less likely they are to support Trump.

Feels like a lot of the "enlisted" and rank and file are the types that join up because they feel all "guns 'n patriotism" at best and "wanna go shoot some brown people" at worst, so Trump would appeal heavily to their worldview.

TACPhilly

Banned
air shows on joint bases (where they also display army/navy assets) already do this. this would be a massive waste of money and none of us want to do the damn dog and pony show in the first place. let us train and let our actions downrange do the showing off. this isnt russia or north korea we dont need to show off.

TACPhilly

Banned
I like the implication that the further up the chain of command they are and the greater amount of the big picture they can see and comprehend the less likely they are to support Trump.

Feels like a lot of the "enlisted" and rank and file are the types that join up because they feel all "guns 'n patriotism" at best and "wanna go shoot some brown people" at worst, so Trump would appeal heavily to their worldview.

thats not offensive or anything... sheesh. wtf man

and are you seriously usinh polls after this disaster of election coverage?! im sure its soooo accurate.

gnomed

Not sure if I should thank you or brace for some impact. I sadly remember laughing hysterically seeing the Gillete article come to fruition. I wonder if a century from now people of the future will make sensationalistic shows about how accurate The Onion can be the way Nostradomus is whored out by conspiracy theorists.

Seen a few military parades here in the UK, especially when I was a kid.

I dunno, I used to see it as a way of paying respect and saying thanks, well done and keep it up. We're behind you all, sort of thing.

Not sure why it's bad thing all of a sudden.

When was the last time a significant military parade was held in the US?

UberTag

Maybe in WW3 we're finally the good guys.
So long as Merkel sticks around, you're most definitely the good guys.

I still love how the winners of the super bowl are the world champions. There isn't any non American teams that compete right?
Let's not get crazy... 99% of the worthwhile talent in football plays in the NFL. Calling the Super Bowl winners the world champions is valid.
We don't need to have an exhibition game between them and the Ottawa Redblacks to make it official.

gnomed

I don't see any other country having handegg as a national pasttime anytime soon.

I dunno, I used to see it as a way of paying respect and saying thanks, well done and keep it up. We're behind you all, sort of thing.

We already do this in the U.S. Veterans and servicepeople are trotted out during the 4th of July, Veteran's day, anniversary of D-day and many more through out the year. People are able to sight see planes and ships docked on seaports.

We have not had a nationalistic parade and don't need one because there is no need for a show of might. Our military is already dominant and the world knows it. This very idea of having marching troops is from the a simple-minded person willing to engage in a dick measuring contest.

akira28

last time I remember soldiers and tanks was the end of Desert Storm. Coincidentally that's probably where Trump is stuck.

RulkezX

We have parades when there's a royal wedding or we're welcoming troops back from Afghanistan etc

This is like having tanksome and battalions of infantry marching in lockstep up The Mall

Hunter S.

Jets flying over is not exactly new. Troops marching in unison reminds me too much of WWI, the days of Stalin and the days of Hitler.

mcz117chief

Wait, there are no military parades in the USA? I would expect a country that takes such a massive pride in it's military to have a parade every once in a while.

Ouroboros

Wait, there are no military parades in the USA? I would expect a country that takes such a massive pride in it's military to have a parade every once in a while.

Yeah there are, but its a more friendly atmosphere with high school bands playing in between or just random celebrities on floats and then military personnel are just walking and waving. Very friendly.

This sounds like its just going to be army / marines / navy etc...marching with weapons.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay with this. Many democratic countries do this. I wanna fucking see the cool US military tech.

US Navy Railgun /drools

mcz117chief

Yeah there are, but its a more friendly atmosphere with high school bands playing in between or just random celebrities on floats and then military personnel are just walking and waving. Very friendly.

This sounds like its just going to be army / marines / navy etc...marching with weapons.

Hmm, I see. Still, we had a military parade in our small country about 5 or 6 years back. Tanks, planes, helicopter and troops marching down the longest street in our capitol and it was really cool.

Apt101

Jesus Christ.

Man. This is how it starts.

Hopefully his generals have enough honor to push back and tell him to shove it. We don't need to make that kind of pageantry out of the solemn duty our service people perform.

Like, in Virginia, we have various events where we celebrate the military and they do some exhibitions. Big military state, afterall, with the gigantic naval base. But we'd never condone them marching down Main Street like it's North Korea.

BigDug13

This is a pretty bullshit blanket statement to make. The pie chart just looks like the normal "college educated vs not college educated" charts we've already seen. It's not because "enlisted military personnel are all mouth-breathing gun-nuts who want to kill minorities." Just an offensive and ignorant claim in general.

Ouroboros

Hmm, I see. Still, we had a military parade in our small country about 5 or 6 years back. Tanks, planes, helicopter and troops marching down the longest street in our capitol and it was really cool.

Yeah, I think people are trying to just compare Trump to Hitler some more. I don't think this "march" will be that bad. But we will wait and see.

AntChum

Why do people — in any country — want to see tanks and ICBMs rolling down their streets? I like military hardware too, but, if I want to see it, I'll go to a museum. IMO, a nation's army should be locked away in the garden shed until the time it's needed.

Higher up the chain, espeicaially an officer, is also more likely educated.

LordOfChaos

"Trump declared that he'll add about 60,000 more active duty soldiers to the Army, increase the Navy's fleet to 350 ships, increase the Marine Corps' strength by over a dozen battalions (roughly 12,000 Marines), and "provide the Air Force with the 12,000 fighters they need."

Whether 12,000 modern jet fighters can be afforded is another question, but at least with the Air Force I understand how Trump intends on doing it. But how do you waive a magic wand and make 60,000 more soldiers join the Army and 12,000 more Marines join the USMC? Recruitment for those branches is trying really hard as it is, but there are limits to what they can do. Does he plan on bumping soldier pay (yay! but unlikely), reduce physical standards, ease background checks, or introduce conscription?

I think college education is the better correlation to be drawn from the enlisted v. officer divide.

Aselith

"Trump declared that he'll add about 60,000 more active duty soldiers to the Army, increase the Navy's fleet to 350 ships, increase the Marine Corps' strength by over a dozen battalions (roughly 12,000 Marines), and "provide the Air Force with the 12,000 fighters they need."

Whether 12,000 modern jet fighters can be afforded is another question, but at least with the Air Force I understand how Trump intends on doing it. But how do you waive a magic wand and make 60,000 more soldiers join the Army and 12,000 more Marines join the USMC? Recruitment for those branches is trying really hard as it is, but there are limits to what they can do. Does he plan on bumping soldier pay (yay! but unlikely), reduce physical standards, ease background checks, or introduce conscription?

The Trump Military Lottery! Make America Great Again
service is compulsory Trump is watching

rjinaz

Heh

To a degree, yeah.
Some military bases do open days to the public, you can see war planes flying by, you can get on a navy ship, you can take a selfie with a tank. Wait, I'm not 100% sure the Army does it, I think it does, but I'm not sure. I know the Navy and the Air Force do (they usually frame it as being a museum, but whatever, it's the same deal in its core) .
Also, if your team makes the playoffs, you can see some of that defense budget flying over your head. In some places, they do it on 4th of July too.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, yeah, it's not cheap and yeah, I don't like militarism in general. But fighter jets are cool, man.

A parade sounds stupid, like, if we ever get our soldiers back from Afghanistan I'm more than fine with throwing a parade for that, and I think doing one for the 70th anniversary of winning WWII would've been fine too. But I don't like the idea of making it a routine thing. And while I understand why people find it uncomfortable when coming from someone like Trump, I don't really think that moves us any closer to a Nazi style rule in the US.

Good post. That's fair it doesn't. In my mind though, Trump isn't even president yet and he's already making bold moves and saying bold things. I can't imagine what he will be up to once he's in the office. So for now, yeah it doesn't mean much. But looking back, will we think the same way? Will it have been a sign of things to come? I think so. Trump is a bully. Can anybody argue that? He wants to throw his weight around and I think he'll do it. He's going to bully other countries and his fist will be the US military. It's going to be a sad thing to witness and who knows what the lasting repercussions will be, even when he is out of office.

Kite

thats not offensive or anything... sheesh. wtf man

and are you seriously usinh polls after this disaster of election coverage?! im sure its soooo accurate.
lol it's not just some random online poll. I'm not claiming it is 100% accurate but there was some scientific methodology used.

OUR METHODOLOGY

Between Oct. 12 and 14, Military Times and IVMF conducted a voluntary, confidential online survey of U.S. service members. The questions focused on the nation's current political climate, the 2016 presidential election and other relevant issues.

The survey received 2,486 responses from active-duty troops. A standard methodology was used by IVMF analysts to estimate the weights for each individual observation of the survey sample. The margin of error for the presidential preference question is 2 percent. Other questions have slightly higher margins of error.

The survey audience was 85 percent male and 15 percent female, and had a mean age of 29 years old. The respondents identified themselves as 70 percent white, 11 percent Hispanic, 8 percent African American, 4 percent Asian and 8 percent other ethnicities. Respondents were able to select more than one race.
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/second-military-times-ivmf-poll-results

Symphonic

To a degree, yeah.

Air shows in the Air Force are the single biggest recruiter they have. They are there primarily to have civilian kids/families feel comfortable with an Air Force base in their home towns and potentially inspire them to become interested in not just the fighter pilot jobs, but engineering, remote stuff, etc. later on in life. They're fantastic with their heart in the right place and are always a lot of fun.

The federal government continually tries to drain funding for air shows, both sides.

All that being said, parading your military (especially in public areas) is nuts IMO. Air shows open the military base to the public to build relationships with the community. Pushing it the other way around seems intrusive and benefits nothing except the "image" of higher ups.

Joezie

Service pay has seen consecutive bumps over the past few years for both Active and Reserve and will almost certainly be raised once again for cost of living purposes.

As for 12,000 fighters, that's a pipe dream. The Aviation branches barely have adequate amount of maintainers to handle the current fleets and continue to bleed out such service members. Unless there is some sort of hardcore automation repair mechanism from DARPA or someone similar, the fleets will never approach 12,000 without a significant increase in both manpower and the quality of such. Nevermind that unless he plans on automating the majority, he'd almost never likely find the pilots necessary to fly them.

TACPhilly

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom