• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Says He'll Show Off The US Military In Parades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of countries have big military parades.

lol dictatorships though, because that's the level of discourse we're at. What fascist totalitarian do you think put on the parade below?
A. I could do without these dumb Bastille Day parades.
B. You don't get to complain about the level of discourse when defending Trump

My Dad has a comic called 'Give me Liberty' by Frank Miller, way back when. He pulled it out this Christmas to remember the panels I'm gonna post.

This is total hyperbole but we're in a world of hyperbole these days. Bigly.

I have been thinking about that comic too. it portrayed such a fucked up future, but damn we are getting closer to it.

jett

D-Member
France has a really big military parade in Paris for Bastille Day so it's not just dictatorships that do it....

Still a horrible idea though

My country also holds a military parade every year to celebrate our independence day. I don't live in a dictatorship.

I guess in Trump's case it has a pretty bad connotation all things considered.

Log4Girlz

rvRpHPw.png

Man. ..what if someone needed to pee

Liberty4all

Banned
I remember as a kid, military parades were a big deal in both Canada and the States (late 70s early 80s)

A way of showing patriotism as well as public appreciation of the military, and yes a reassuring image of strength to a nation scared to death of the Soviet nuke threat.

MIMIC

Banned
It's a startling remark, but I'm hoping that it was just another throwaway comment from Trump. I'm reading The Washington Post article where the quote was drawn, and it came near the end of the article without much emphasis. Still, it shows where his mind is.

LoveCake

Is there a square or anything big enough for a military parade though?

Nothing really that wrong, just being patriotic many others countries have them as well and Americans do hold their service personal in very high regard.

If it's with tanks and missile carriers though then Trump is really going full tilt o_O

lol dictatorships though, because that's the level of discourse we're at. What fascist totalitarian do you think put on the parade below?

It just shows where his mind is. He sees Russia and North Korea doing it and thinks why can't we.

Everyone is upset but forgets about things like

-Air and Water Show
-Fleet Week
-Fourth of July/Armed Forces Day shows that happen near military bases

Having a military parade down Pennsylvania avenue is much more direct and akin to the parades in Russia in front of the Kremlin and China.

Bronx-Man

Banned

You constantly defend everything this man says and does.

That will be Trump's presidency in a nutshell, one where in place of actual progress and achievements, he will be putting on show after show intended to distract from the fact that he hasn't actually done much of anything at all. The appearance of making America great again without actually taking any concrete steps to achieve anything of the sort.

That's exactly what that fake press conference was about, when he put on a show of him actually separating himself from his business, when, in fact, he did no such thing. And it gets to a point where you become so disgusted at the mere thought of what one of these "parades" would even look like, as you just know instinctively it's going to resemble the kinds of thing dictators enjoy doing to celebrate themselves and demonstrate their power. The man makes me sick, but it makes sense that he should. He isn't a legitimately elected President.

I mean, I usually go to parades that show respect and support to our local firefighters, on memorial day I join 3 million other people on a beach to watch the old WW 2 planes and the blue angels. I'm sure it could be done in a nice manner where our soldiers could see us gather to say thank you for their service.

But this probably has already been linked to some Hitler imagery. Shame we can't do something nice because evil empires did it before us.

Then again, I rather ALL money go into the VA.

Guy.brush

whoa! where and what are these from?

Blomkamp's VFX guys did these I think shortly before the election.
nice 3d matchmoving work.
Could actually be a cool pitch for a satire movie.
But since our reality is basically "Red Alert 2: Vlad's Revenge" levels of ridiculous, you would need to make it even more over the top.

At best it's a gigantic waste of money and time so we can jerk off our overly militaristic country.

If you guys ever organize an armed opposition in order to remove this nut from power please count me in. At this point maybe will be needed.

Plenty of countries have military parades, like Mexico during Revolution Day. Is not a "oh wow so horrible such a totalitarian banana republic" thing to do.

None of them are birthed from white nationalism like with the NAZIs, though. That's why this is a worrisome move by mister Naranja.

Polari

You constantly defend everything this man says and does.

There has to be some counterpoint to everyone on this forum who is determined to invoke Godwin's Law whenever he as much as sneezes.

He isn't even President yet. Do I think some of his policies are likely to be disastrous? Yes - particularly around schooling, where DeVos has clearly just bought the job and her will continue reforms that haven't worked and probably can't in the current, low regulatory environment. In terms of healthcare and tax reform I'm pessimistic but will wait and see. Obamacare is deeply flawed (in large part thanks to the Republicans, but then you also have people like Cory Booker who voted just the other day against allowing drugs to be parallel imported from Canada), and the tax code is overly complicated, but you want any replacement to be both more efficient and more equitable.

Oh and military parades are dumb. But I thought that was a given, and I don't care that much as it's not a big issue.

MUnited83

For you.

Because Trump totally didn't show fascist tendencies before this, no sir.

Ourobolus

Banned
There has to be some counterpoint to everyone on this forum who is determined to invoke Godwin's Law whenever he as much as sneezes.

He isn't even President yet. Do I think some of his policies are likely to be disastrous? Yes - particularly around schooling, where DeVos has clearly just bought the job and her will continue reforms that haven't worked and probably can't in the current, low regulatory environment. In terms of healthcare and tax reform I'm pessimistic but will wait and see. Obamacare is deeply flawed (in large part thanks to the Republicans, but then you also have people like Cory Booker who voted just the other day against allowing drugs to be parallel imported from Canada), and the tax code is overly complicated, but you want any replacement to be both more efficient and more equitable.

Oh and military parades are dumb. But I thought that was a given, and I don't care that much as it's not a big issue.

You're right. When he campaigns on "I'm Gonna Do a Bunch of Dumb Shit," he probably doesn't mean it and I should just wait and see.

OnPoint

If it were just military parades you might have a point. But it's more than that.

Joni

We have them every year on our national holiday. People seem to like it, I liked watching it when I was young. It is a suggestion that hurts no one so his best idea ever.

We have them every year on our national holiday. People seem to like it, I liked watching it when I was young. It is a suggestion that hurts no one so his best idea ever.
We have them too, the issue is its him suggesting it and he's suggesting more of them with more military grandstanding.

And it doesn't directly hurt anyone but it's an effective propaganda tool and a huge drain on resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom